Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

i saw this too and while it is meaningful, ultimately it won't be Tobruk that gets to make the call if Egypt intervenes. Based on statements leaked to the press, Egypt is unlikely to make a movie unless its Gulf sponsors promise to foot the bill. And I imagine now is a bad time for the Gulf to be taking on any massive new expenses.

this Casus belli isn't even very good, since the UN and West don't acknowledge that the Tobruk government has any valid legal authority.

Unrelated but the other day I saw an estimate that Russia has pumped $2 billion in "counterfeit" Libyan currency into the country. I'm not sure if it's actually meant to be indistinguishable from Tripoli's money or if it's actually a distinct issue ordered by Tobruk as part of its efforts to claim that it is the true national government. Libyans seem relatively good at distinguishing them at a glance so if they are copies they aren't very convincing.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(
Niche book request for you all. Any one have any good books that they have read that deal with the governance of Iraq post-2003 invasion? I am interested to learn more about the structure of the provisional governments, their policy making goals/process, their results, etc.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lote posted:

Edit: I don’t know enough about the foreign politics in the Middle East right now to form an opinion about how dumb the Trump plan for the Middle East is. I assume this is bad. On a scale of smoldering proxy war to all out Middle East war with Israel running around with a hand grenade ala Anchorman, how bad is it?

Seeing as Israel is the middle easts sole verified nuke carrier it's doubtful that Israel doesn't come out on top of any conventional conflict. Unless Hamas rises up and successfully vollies tel aviv.

Squalid posted:

Unrelated but the other day I saw an estimate that Russia has pumped $2 billion in "counterfeit" Libyan currency into the country. I'm not sure if it's actually meant to be indistinguishable from Tripoli's money or if it's actually a distinct issue ordered by Tobruk as part of its efforts to claim that it is the true national government. Libyans seem relatively good at distinguishing them at a glance so if they are copies they aren't very convincing.

Deligitimizing the currency means a new one must be created. Funny enough this in itself is a hyper aggressive move that the Nazis wanted to utilize in the 40s. Currency manipulation breaks down the government's power to tax Libya is being courted/manipulated on multiple fronts
, Weakness in US policy is starting to really effect the world.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 16, 2020

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Buckhead posted:

Niche book request for you all. Any one have any good books that they have read that deal with the governance of Iraq post-2003 invasion? I am interested to learn more about the structure of the provisional governments, their policy making goals/process, their results, etc.

you'll probably want to pair it with a critical outside source, but one place that's easy to start is the US military's own self-assessment of the war is a good place to start. It's all published online so you can just pull it out to read one section that's particularly interesting or use it as a reference to check other work. This is also how i've used it, rather than actually sitting down and reading it through.

Here's the first edition out of 2, you can find the second also on the army war college website: https://publications.armywarcollege.edu/pubs/3667.pdf

This was completed in 2016 but only released to the public last year so it's pretty fresh.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 16, 2020

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Egypt is on opposite sides of Turkey's water territorial gas claim nonsense, that are also tangentially related to Libya in that Erdogan is having his clients there support his claims.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Buckhead posted:

"Imperial Life in the Emerald City: Inside Iraq's Green Zone is a 2006 book by Rajiv Chandrasekaran that takes a critical look at the civilian leadership of the American reconstruction project in Iraq"

It's ok. It's from 2006 so it certainly isn't a detailed study. It's more a collection of anecdotes and research that highlight how poorly thought out the whole affair was. Maybe a good place to start before getting into meatier works.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Buckhead posted:

You should try to track down the original plans that were drawn up, they're pretty actively being memoryholed because they are unbelievably damningly stupid in retrospect so they're kinda hard to find, but they're 100% worth a read.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Zedhe Khoja posted:

it's also a massive exaggeration to say it was a credible accusation to begin with given its source

I don't know for sure if it happened or not, but I know at least some of the intelligence community both here and in the UK did and the president dismissed it without seeming to care one way or the other. That seems bad to me.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

Squalid posted:

you'll probably want to pair it with a critical outside source, but one place that's easy to start is the US military's own self-assessment of the war is a good place to start. It's all published online so you can just pull it out to read one section that's particularly interesting or use it as a reference to check other work. This is also how i've used it, rather than actually sitting down and reading it through.

Here's the first edition out of 2, you can find the second also on the army war college website: https://publications.armywarcollege.edu/pubs/3667.pdf

This was completed in 2016 but only released to the public last year so it's pretty fresh.

Thanks! Will check this out. Based on the table of contents, seems like a good fit.

Count Roland posted:

"Imperial Life in the Emerald City: Inside Iraq's Green Zone is a 2006 book by Rajiv Chandrasekaran that takes a critical look at the civilian leadership of the American reconstruction project in Iraq"

It's ok. It's from 2006 so it certainly isn't a detailed study. It's more a collection of anecdotes and research that highlight how poorly thought out the whole affair was. Maybe a good place to start before getting into meatier works.

Appreciate the suggestion. Probably a bit too contemporary for what I am looking for, but I will take a look at it.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

You should try to track down the original plans that were drawn up, they're pretty actively being memoryholed because they are unbelievably damningly stupid in retrospect so they're kinda hard to find, but they're 100% worth a read.

This is what actually started me down this rabbit hole. I came across this web page that has the original orders of the CPA, starting with the infamous Order 1 (De-Baathification of Iraqi Society): https://govinfo.library.unt.edu/cpa-iraq/regulations/

edit: I think I found one concise answer to my question here: https://www.rand.org/pubs/monographs/MG847.html

Occupying Iraq: A History of the Coalition Provisional Authority. It is by the RAND Corporation, which I just know as McNamara's lackeys, so taking it with a grain of salt but seems like a decent starting point.

Buckhead fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 17, 2020

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

New post because it is so interesting. Lol at the amount of planning that went into launching the occupation of Iraq:

quote:

"Garner and ORHA faced several obstacles. First, the insufficient breadth and depth of prewar planning for the postcombat Phase IV made it extremely difficult to begin restoring vital public services. Virtually no analysis had been done on Iraq’s government sectors, from transportation to education. The relatively small number of U.S. forces on the ground and their slowness in assuming responsibility for public security opened a power vacuum when the old regime collapsed and rresulted in widespread and largely unchecked looting. The consequent physical destruction of key Iraqi public buildings made it difficult for ORHA to identify ministry personnel, since they had nowhere left to work. American advisors to Iraqi ministries were forced to rely on word-of-mouth to locate ministry staff.14 ORHA had far too few people to carry out its many responsibilities. It numbered only 151 staff in Kuwait by March 16. This number grew to nearly 300 over the next few weeks, most of whom were active-duty or retired military personnel.15 “ORHA’s senior ranks lacked significant depth in diplomatic experience and had limited understanding of the Middle East,” one U.S. Army study subsequently concluded.16 This was not by intent. Garner’s preference was for a largely civilian staff, but the reluctance of other agencies to provide personnel in a timely fashion, in State’s case perhaps exacerbated by Rumsfeld’s rejection of many State Department candidates, made this impossible. "

It really is an interesting read.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

So I know the Azerbaijan-Armenian conflict happens all the time but it seems to be escalating lately, with possible Russian and Turkish backed military forces as well as Kim Kardashian commenting on the situation. Not posting the entire articles but they are linked.

https://www.newsweek.com/kim-kardashain-west-armenia-azerbaijan-nuclear-1518583

quote:

Azerbaijan has threatened to target Armenia's nuclear power plant following a sharp spike in hostilities in the border region between the Caucasus countries over the last week.

After months of deteriorating relations between Baku and Yerevan, days of clashes have seen both sides accusing the other of shelling military positions in the Tavush region in northeast Armenia, and the Tovuz district in Azerbaijan, the BBC reported.

The area is relatively far from from Nagorno-Karabakh, an enclave around 190 miles away, and internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan but controlled by ethnic Armenians, and the source for two bloody conflicts since the break-up of the Soviet Union. More recently, there were hostilities between the countries in April 2016, known as the "four-day war."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-azerbaijan-armenia-conflict/shelling-between-azerbaijan-and-armenia-smashes-brief-ceasefire-idUSKCN24H0ZA

quote:

BAKU/YEREVAN (Reuters) - Azerbaijan and Armenia accused each other of shelling military positions and villages on Thursday, breaking a day of ceasefire in border clashes between the two former Soviet republics.

Eleven Azeri soldiers and a civilian, and four Armenian servicemen, have died since Sunday in renewed conflict between countries who fought a 1990s war in the mountainous Nagorno-Karabakh region.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...a-idUSKCN24J0GY

quote:

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia is holding military exercises to test its combat readiness amid clashes between its ally Azerbaijan and Armenian forces, Russia’s defence minister told his Azeri counterpart on Saturday.

The Defence Ministry described the exercises as a routine check of the army’s capacity to ensure security in Russia’s southwestern region and denied any links between the training and the fighting taking place in the Caucasus region, south of Russia.

More than a dozen Armenian and Azeri soldiers have been killed in recent days in clashes between the two former Soviet republics which have long been at odds over Azerbaijan’s breakaway, mainly ethnic Armenian region of Nagorno-Karabakh.

Russia, which has a military base in Armenia, has urged the two sides to cease fire and show restraint. The Kremlin has said Moscow is ready to act as a mediator.

Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu and Azerbaijan’s Sakir Hasanov discussed the clashes in a phone call on Saturday.

The drills involve around 150,000 troops and 400 aircraft, according to the defence ministry.

https://zartonkmedia.com/2020/07/18...gainst-armenia/

quote:

The Turkish occupation army in the occupied territories started to register the names of its mercenaries to send them to Azerbaijan, per Anf Arabic.

It is reported that the first group of 500 mercenaries are due to arrive in Azerbaijan within a week.

Private sources from inside the occupied Afrin Province reported that the Turkish occupation started registering the names of its mercenaries, the so-called national army, with the aim of sending them to Azerbaijan to fight alongside the Azerbaijani army against the Armenian army.

The sources pointed out that the mercenaries will receive a sum of $ 2,500 a month for each combatant in exchange for a contract that extends up to six months, which can be renewed.

The sources also indicated the opening of registration centers in the districts of Jenderes, Raju and Afrin Center.
I don't know how reliable this source is but it's believable that Turkey is sending some type of support.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Squalid posted:

i saw this too and while it is meaningful, ultimately it won't be Tobruk that gets to make the call if Egypt intervenes. Based on statements leaked to the press, Egypt is unlikely to make a movie unless its Gulf sponsors promise to foot the bill. And I imagine now is a bad time for the Gulf to be taking on any massive new expenses.

this Casus belli isn't even very good, since the UN and West don't acknowledge that the Tobruk government has any valid legal authority.

Ultimately a casus belli is irrelevant, and money isn't really what's holding up an intervention. Sisi is incredibly careful and risk-averse when it comes to foreign policy, especially anything that could upset the US and the EU, and he knows he doesn't have the clout to do a full-on invasion and/or annexation as Turkey did in Northern Syria - especially with a possibly significant change coming to the White House in November. He'll wait until all the cards line up for him where he gets minimal Western blowback, or until it's his last resort.

Another big factor is the western diplomatic support he needs to deal with the Ethiopian dam - losing that support and consequently having no options with Ethiopia would be a devastating issue at home, on a much bigger scale than Libya.

Ham fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 20, 2020

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Armenia might be cursing that unlucky shell that wasted that Azeri general. They're the weaker of the two states and pretty much no one has their back because Armenia has basically no strategic value. Iran sides with them when it comes to economic and diplomatic matters but they aren't gonna go to bat for them militarily.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Russia backs them a bit, and has an airbase inside Armenia already. They were conducting military exercises the other day in the topic of Armenia v Azerbaijan. I don't know how far they'd support them but I imagine they would a bit at least.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Isn't Azerbaijan's military historically pretty terrible, in the Saudi pattern of too much money, not enough morale?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Russia backs Armenia to the extent that Turkey backs Azerbaijan because pan-Turkish-ism and the Azeris are just Turks who live in what has historically been Iran, and Russians historically just want to gently caress with the Turks any chance they get.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 20, 2020

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The US has more of a relationship with Azerbaijan than with Armenia too, so Russia also backs Armenia (while also trying to remain cordial with the Azeris) to balance against that relationship turning into a problem. But yeah, Turkey and Russia being on opposite sides there, as in Syria and Libya, show why it's so difficult for Erdogan and Putin to keep the era of good feelings between them going. Both of them know they have numerous opposing interests, and geography suggests that isn't likely to change, so the only things that are sustaining the relationship are a shared hostility to American dominance and concern (probably on both sides, even if one is clearly stronger than the other) for how ugly things could get if the pretense of friendliness drops away while the areas of contention are still hotspots.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Azerbaijan is creepy as all heck. I flew through there once and their in-flight magazine was full of propaganda for their leader, and the airport in Baku seemed way overdone for a single-digit-terminal building.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Speaking of friction between Russia and Turkey, Al-Bab sure seems to be tense lately with Russian planes bombing a couple days ago and now some shelling by the SAA near the city. After the large offensive to claim much of the M4 highway in Idlib and Western Aleppo, they seem to be at least bluffing that they intend to seize it from TFSA/Turkish occupation in Northern Aleppo as well. I honestly haven't been following events in the country much lately since it's been pretty quiet and there's been a lot of poo poo going on closer to home these days, so I don't know how much linkage there may be between this and the victories Turkey's had in Libya or anything. I don't have any special insight into Putin's thinking, but if I were him, I might at least be tempted to see if I can squeeze Erdogan a bit before the US election in November, both since the US is beyond distracted right now and because Biden's likely to return American policy to a more traditional anti-Russian perspective.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sinteres posted:

The US has more of a relationship with Azerbaijan than with Armenia too, so Russia also backs Armenia (while also trying to remain cordial with the Azeris) to balance against that relationship turning into a problem. But yeah, Turkey and Russia being on opposite sides there, as in Syria and Libya, show why it's so difficult for Erdogan and Putin to keep the era of good feelings between them going. Both of them know they have numerous opposing interests, and geography suggests that isn't likely to change, so the only things that are sustaining the relationship are a shared hostility to American dominance and concern (probably on both sides, even if one is clearly stronger than the other) for how ugly things could get if the pretense of friendliness drops away while the areas of contention are still hotspots.

Turkey and Russia are both trying to do the quivalent of the trump handshake to each other diplomatically. Yes they are handshaking, but there is strong feelings of angst in that shake. Turkey shoots down a russian jet and russia responds back etc. Neither side can afford to look weak to the other. So it's a type of relationship.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 21, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

King Salman is in the hospital. Inflammed Gall bladder apparently.

Too soon to blow a load on theory crafting what will happen to the royal family if MBS becomes King.

Cogliermo
Feb 23, 2017
So, something light to take peoples minds off Libya for a bit: I ran into something weird on a story I had been enjoying on Sufficient Velocity (gist of it is, modern earth is transplanted on to a high fantasy mega world). The author seems to believe that not only is Egypt's government not a dictatorship, it is actually secretly run by communists and socialists in the ruling coalition who are going to make things better any day now and that this is all being hidden by the biased news media. The author credits this revelation to the one Egyptian guy he talks to online.

So is this a thing some people in Egypt believe or just some lone weirdo capable of fooling gullible 20 somethings? I can't think of another conspiracy theory that claims the power behind the throne is benevolent social democrats.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Cogliermo posted:

So, something light to take peoples minds off Libya for a bit: I ran into something weird on a story I had been enjoying on Sufficient Velocity (gist of it is, modern earth is transplanted on to a high fantasy mega world). The author seems to believe that not only is Egypt's government not a dictatorship, it is actually secretly run by communists and socialists in the ruling coalition who are going to make things better any day now and that this is all being hidden by the biased news media. The author credits this revelation to the one Egyptian guy he talks to online.

So is this a thing some people in Egypt believe or just some lone weirdo capable of fooling gullible 20 somethings? I can't think of another conspiracy theory that claims the power behind the throne is benevolent social democrats.

There was a leak from a secret event these socialist-communists held a couple of years back and it's basically open knowledge in Egypt at this point, here's a picture:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
/\
holy poo poo ham, ahaha

Cogliermo posted:

which do you think?

Cogliermo
Feb 23, 2017

Herstory Begins Now posted:

/\
holy poo poo ham, ahaha

which do you think?
I can't find anyone else saying this so I'm inclined to say lone wolf or whatever you call that, but its not like I'm searching for Egyptian Whats App users or wherever this thing would live. I figure it's got to be a nationalist thing, because the same person also says that Turkey is a pathetic dysfunctional state under a right wind strongman doomed to decline, which honestly sounds like projection coming from him. The only source he provided was the Egyptian constitution, because anything in Arabic would clearly be indecipherable to us ignorant westerners. I apparently can't ask my old Egyptian Arabic teacher to translate, because the diaspora are all islamists or wealthy anti-Nasserites (he also mentioned they are majority Coptic, which is an obvious red flag to me). So basically it's like standard nationalist shitposting, but nominally left wing. Maybe he's tailoring the message for the Sufficient Velocity demographic? Some people are actually buying into it, because it comes from a real Egyptian who knows Arabic.

Cogliermo fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 25, 2020

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
That seems to be the exact same logic used by extremely online tankies to lionize (lol) Bashar Al Assad.

Cogliermo
Feb 23, 2017

ToxicAcne posted:

That seems to be the exact same logic used by extremely online tankies to lionize (lol) Bashar Al Assad.
But that's the wild thing about it, he doesn't like Sisi! He thinks the parliament and prime minister (a known communist, of course) are really in charge, I guess because the constitution says so? It's like saying Rojava is the real power in Damascus.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cogliermo posted:

But that's the wild thing about it, he doesn't like Sisi! He thinks the parliament and prime minister (a known communist, of course) are really in charge, I guess because the constitution says so? It's like saying Rojava is the real power in Damascus.

In America we have a great democracy because the Constitution protects all of our rights. It says so in the constitution!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cogliermo posted:

I'm beginning to think this person may be an idiot.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Cogliermo posted:

I can't find anyone else saying this so I'm inclined to say lone wolf or whatever you call that, but its not like I'm searching for Egyptian Whats App users or wherever this thing would live. I figure it's got to be a nationalist thing, because the same person also says that Turkey is a pathetic dysfunctional state under a right wind strongman doomed to decline, which honestly sounds like projection coming from him. The only source he provided was the Egyptian constitution, because anything in Arabic would clearly be indecipherable to us ignorant westerners. I apparently can't ask my old Egyptian Arabic teacher to translate, because the diaspora are all islamists or wealthy anti-Nasserites (he also mentioned they are majority Coptic, which is an obvious red flag to me). So basically it's like standard nationalist shitposting, but nominally left wing. Maybe he's tailoring the message for the Sufficient Velocity demographic? Some people are actually buying into it, because it comes from a real Egyptian who knows Arabic.

Lots of countries have turbo nationalist lefties. Check out Greece and Turkey.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Azerbaijan is posting cringe.

https://twitter.com/wwwmodgovaz/status/1290284395115372545

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

...why though? To what end? Who are they trying to big dick with this sad fake?

Azerbaijan this is not the time!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Afghan forces besiege jail seized by Islamic State, hundreds of prisoners missing

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...source=Facebook

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

...why though? To what end? Who are they trying to big dick with this sad fake?

Azerbaijan this is not the time!

I assume it's for domestic consumption (they must assume their people are morons), but ostensibly it's to show Armenia how tough they are.

lmao, this wasn't the first one:

https://twitter.com/wwwmodgovaz/status/1289570633689509889

Maybe it's intentionally bad? Ukraine posts memes so it's possible but I don't see the benefit to making a joke of your military.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 3, 2020

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Sinteres posted:

I assume it's for domestic consumption (they must assume their people are morons), but ostensibly it's to show Armenia how tough they are.

lmao, this wasn't the first one:

https://twitter.com/wwwmodgovaz/status/1289570633689509889

Maybe it's intentionally bad? Ukraine posts memes so it's possible but I don't see the benefit to making a joke of your military.

Those look like David Dees did them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god someone put a crying child getting a booster shot in that right now

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Also needs some looming Armenian politicians with whited out eyes and bleeding stars of david on their foreheads.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Grape posted:

Also needs some looming Armenian politicians with whited out eyes and bleeding stars of david on their foreheads.

Photoshopped giant noses with flames shooting out of nostrils would be a solid touch

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Something's happening in Beruit

https://twitter.com/GinoRaidy/status/1290671286327353344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Another tweet. That’s huge! https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1290671772195532801?s=20