Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

You are over thinking it. I imagine the update just hasn't rolled out to you. When I launch the prime video app it asked me to set up profiles. This is on a Roku player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I have a TCL Roku TV and it's there today. Chill and give it a week or two, it'll show up.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Wasn't there supposed to be an update to the Hulu interface that rolled out like a month ago? I never got that on my ATV.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

OldSenileGuy posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be an update to the Hulu interface that rolled out like a month ago? I never got that on my ATV.

It's still terrible.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I can’t believe Hulu actively tries to hide the episode list from you

Only showing a couple shows at a time in the while screen is a secondary but still terrible usability issue

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Last year, when Hulu first released their horrible neon green UI, I sideloaded the previous version on my Shield and turned off auto-updates.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

bull3964 posted:

DCU is actually streaming 4k while HBO Max is only HD. However, I've found HBO Max to be very high quality. They upped the bitrate significantly when they switched over from HBO Now. I'm not the only one that noticed either.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1590578825

Yeah, bitrate is more important than resolution sometimes. I can show you an 8K resolution image that looks like garbage...

OldSenileGuy posted:

I saw online that DCU was 4K, but on the splash page for Doom Patrol it just says "HD 5.1". I looked around to see if maybe DCU does the same batshit stupid thing that Amazon does where they have separate listings for the HD and UHD versions of the show, but I didn't find any so I assume it's just a labeling error.

But this brings me back to my initial complaint of not having an easy way to view stream metadata info on ATV. From following your link I found out that there actually is a way to view the information, but it's buried deep in the settings and not something I can easily toggle on and off while viewing.

Maybe this is like Disney Plus where it shows you what is compatible with your device. Is it possible that it's in Dolby Vision or something that's not compatible with your TV?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

August releases for HBO Max

https://pressroom.warnermediagroup.com/gb/media-release/hbo-max-highlights-august-2020

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Astro7x posted:

Maybe this is like Disney Plus where it shows you what is compatible with your device. Is it possible that it's in Dolby Vision or something that's not compatible with your TV?

I'm using a ATV4k on an LG C8, so whatever the highest quality there is should be supported. FWIW, the show doesn't trigger Dolby Vision but it does trigger HDR. I just assume DCU doesn't have Dolby Vision, same as Amazon.

I'm planning on doing whatever I need to do to get the stream metadata information thingy working on my ATV (I need to load Xcode on my Mac or something), I just haven't done it yet.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Does anyone use the Spectrum app on their Apple TV? Also Spectrum wants me to buy another Apple TV when I set up service which is annoying.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Well that's strange. Pluto nerfed their Android app so that it doesn't work on Fire tablets, and makes you download the Amazon App Store version instead.

Is that because Amazon doesn't want you to be able to cast from Pluto?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

FuboTV got a bunch of new channels, and also somehow scored ESPN/ESPN2, EPSNews, Disney channels, and a bunch of other sportsy channels, probably to justify their new kinda-hurtingly high prices. In its current form, I'd certainly recommend it if sports was your focus and you didn't give a poo poo about paying $60/65 a month. Optimum has told me they will give me the same amount of channels for $48 extra a month, so I've ordered regular cable :( which is the opposite of this thread's intended theme.

FuboTV still doesn't have CNN, though, having lost it a month ago.

Something very annoying: all of the Disney channels and ABC networks appear to have HDCP / HTML5 encryption enabled, whereas the rest of FuboTV is pretty much unprotected.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 4, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

FuboTV got a bunch of new channels, and also somehow scored ESPN/ESPN2, EPSNews, Disney channels, and a bunch of other sportsy channels, probably to justify their new kinda-hurtingly high prices. In its current form, I'd certainly recommend it if sports was your focus and you didn't give a poo poo about paying $60/65 a month. Optimum has told me they will give me the same amount of channels for $48 extra a month, so I've ordered regular cable :( which is the opposite of this thread's intended theme.

FuboTV still doesn't have CNN, though, having lost it a month ago.

Something very annoying: all of the Disney channels and ABC networks appear to have HDCP / HTML5 encryption enabled, whereas the rest of FuboTV is pretty much unprotected.

Yeah, I threw in the towel right when PS-Vue shuttered. I realized the cost of all the other services + Internet was more expensive than a Cable+internet bundle at that point. Plus I got more channels that I would watch (but not really deal killers if streaming was cheaper).

Honestly, live sports is the thing I want the most and welp to that with the Pandemic going on, so I chose poorly. If it weren't for sports or if I could *just* get sports services a la carte, I would have neither streaming bundles or cable. Just Pluto + Netflix/Prime and whatever sports service carried what I want to watch any given month.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Props to people who mentioned PlutoTV when I was asking about cord cutting earlier in thread. I can't believe it's free. It's like 90% of the poo poo you see on basic cable, just without like live sports and live nightly MSNBC/foxnews/CNBC.

Anything else like Pluto out there?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Plex just added a similar service to Pluto built into its clients.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Luceo posted:

Last year, when Hulu first released their horrible neon green UI, I sideloaded the previous version on my Shield and turned off auto-updates.

They just did a new UI update that's way better

Still a terrible use of screen real estate but.... it's better.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

pmchem posted:

Props to people who mentioned PlutoTV when I was asking about cord cutting earlier in thread. I can't believe it's free. It's like 90% of the poo poo you see on basic cable, just without like live sports and live nightly MSNBC/foxnews/CNBC.

Roku Live TV

https://image.roku.com/w/rapid/images/whats-on/be676a89-db0e-4ea3-bd61-05bf45ba7363.mp4

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Fallom posted:

They just did a new UI update that's way better

Still a terrible use of screen real estate but.... it's better.

I want to believe you...

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

pmchem posted:

Peacock has channels.

If you want more free TV, there Comet, which is sci-fi all day every day. It’s literally an OTA channel that also has a free online feed. There’s also Stirr, which is a bunch of free channels like Pluto. However, both Comet and Stirr are owned by Sinclair, so some people may choose not to watch them.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My parents were paying $175 for cable and internet. I got them switched over to internet only $75 a month (including taxes and fees) and YouTube tv for $65. So they will be saving $35 a month and my dad already loves YouTubeTV a d says the picture is better than the cable’s picture.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Considering swapping my parents over to Hulu + Live TV for $54.99 a month. Is the No Ads plan worth the extra $6? Does like, Hulu stack preroll ads on top of the regular ad breaks during Live TV? Because that would suck. I don't think my parents will be watching too many of the on-demand shows or movies. They'll mainly be using it for sports and local channels. My mom likes her Lifetime channel too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

teagone posted:

Considering swapping my parents over to Hulu + Live TV for $54.99 a month. Is the No Ads plan worth the extra $6? Does like, Hulu stack preroll ads on top of the regular ad breaks during Live TV? Because that would suck. I don't think my parents will be watching too many of the on-demand shows or movies. They'll mainly be using it for sports and local channels. My mom likes her Lifetime channel too.

From what I recall when I was giving it a test drive a year or so ago, "no-ads" only affects the on-demand and regular Hulu library. I don't recall any additional ads watching Live TV as compared to PS Vue or Sling.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Proteus Jones posted:

From what I recall when I was giving it a test drive a year or so ago, "no-ads" only affects the on-demand and regular Hulu library. I don't recall any additional ads watching Live TV as compared to PS Vue or Sling.

I only use Hulu for their library stuff, and let me tell you, their ads are the worst. Especially the “choose your manner of torture” ad breaks.

Pay the extra money if you love your parents.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

XBenedict posted:

I only use Hulu for their library stuff, and let me tell you, their ads are the worst. Especially the “choose your manner of torture” ad breaks.

Pay the extra money if you love your parents.

My parents likely would very rarely watch the on-demand/Hulu library stuff. But I might just get the no-ads for myself after browsing their catalog for a bit, haha.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It's worth the extra $6

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Anyone know if a new Roku Ultra is coming out soon? I might buy the 2019 4670 model but I could wait a little longer.

My Roku 2 XS (2011 model) has started to reliably crash on YouTube. It's been an issue with YouTube for years but it's doing it immediately now because of these ghastly YouTube ads. I've tried reinstalling it etc. and it doesn't help. It's too bad since all the other apps continue to work fine.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I don't follow much but why did HBO GO get the axe and replaced with HBO Max?

Is it a good thing? I seemed to like HBO go.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Krime posted:

I don't follow much but why did HBO GO get the axe and replaced with HBO Max?

Is it a good thing? I seemed to like HBO go.

HBO Max has everything HBO Go had. It's essentially a rebrand with added content that supplements the restructuring of their streaming platforms. HBO Now (their standalone streaming service) is just the "HBO" app now. HBO Max is the partner platform for streaming TV and cable providers that HBO Go was, but just with more/new content.

[edit] Imo, it's a good thing. The rebrand definitely helped propped up its appeal to would-be subscribers, and its newly refreshed content library is really good.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 17, 2020

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I still don't understand why the "HBO" (formerly HBO Now I think?) app exists. Why would anyone subscribe to HBO but not HBO Max? I don't think it's even cheaper?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

I still don't understand why the "HBO" (formerly HBO Now I think?) app exists. Why would anyone subscribe to HBO but not HBO Max? I don't think it's even cheaper?

Even HBO doesn't know lmao. They have this disclaimer when you try to sign up just for HBO streaming (formerly HBO Now):

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The HBO app just exists so that the platforms that aren't playing ball with them on MAX have an app to stream with.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The HBO app just exists so that the platforms that aren't playing ball with them on MAX have an app to stream with.

That makes sense.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
The super fun thing is HBO Now is HBO Max, as in they literally just reskinned the app and reused the CDN, I suspect that is the reason HBO Max inexplicably does not support 4k or HDR. HBO (Go) is an entirely distinct app and CDN.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Three Olives posted:

The super fun thing is HBO Now is HBO Max, as in they literally just reskinned the app and reused the CDN, I suspect that is the reason HBO Max inexplicably does not support 4k or HDR. HBO (Go) is an entirely distinct app and CDN.

Eh, they did more since bitrate shot WAAAAAAAAAAY up with HBO Max vs HBO Now. Max streams look better than Amazon now. Streaming Lovecraft Country last night, utilization was around 5-17mbps the whole time.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Here's an interesting deal that might be good for some of you:

If you're an Apple TV+ subscriber, you can get CBS All-Access and Showtime for 9.99/month, so it's basically BOGO.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Here's an interesting deal that might be good for some of you:

If you're an Apple TV+ subscriber, you can get CBS All-Access and Showtime for 9.99/month, so it's basically BOGO.

Commercial free version of CBS?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Commercial free version of CBS?

Yes. If you sub to CBS through the Channels portion of the TV app, you can only do the commercial free version.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Krime posted:

why did HBO GO get the axe and replaced with HBO Max?

:guitar: That's nobody's business but the Turks

Sorry, I just read that post and it jumped into my brain and wouldn't get out.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Zogo posted:

Anyone know if a new Roku Ultra is coming out soon? I might buy the 2019 4670 model but I could wait a little longer.

My Roku 2 XS (2011 model) has started to reliably crash on YouTube. It's been an issue with YouTube for years but it's doing it immediately now because of these ghastly YouTube ads. I've tried reinstalling it etc. and it doesn't help. It's too bad since all the other apps continue to work fine.

I went ahead and bought a Roku Ultra. It's so much faster than my old Roku. Everything opens up immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone else have their Youtube and Netflix apps just vanish off of Roku?