Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1285257532873887744

Democracy in action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I initially read that as Bolivias ruling Junta.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess the question that first springs to mind is how does the government of Bolivia declaring opposition candidates ineligible differ from the government of Venezuela declaring opposition candidates ineligible.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess the question that first springs to mind is how does the government of Bolivia declaring opposition candidates ineligible differ from the government of Venezuela declaring opposition candidates ineligible.

In Venezuela they’re declared ineligible because they do things like miss registration deadlines or, ya know, conspire w foreign powers to hire mercenaries groups to overthrow the government

In Bolivia it’s apparently because they released polling data.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

you'd figure 'outlaw poll tweeting' would be too flimsy an excuse for yet another bolivian coup, but I see the deathmongers have already begun 'just asking questions'.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
It's official...

https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1286358246622670849

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Truly a win for democracy?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Finally, the Bolivian people too can experience (late stage) capitalist democracy!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

SlothfulCobra posted:

They're not. Both country's ruling governments are authoritarian.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

well... I guess I'm glad that 'is posting on twitter justification for another round of nazi violence?' question isn't going to get answered at this time.

small mercies.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

They're not. Both country's ruling governments are authoritarian.

Well actually, Venezuela’s government has elections, Bolivia’s does not

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

wow never saw this coming etc etc

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgxK9w5DSvQ

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1286372269913247746

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
For the record, the stated reasons for the delay are actually fairly sensible - COVID-19 is ravaging the country, and all signs indicate that an election would cause a surge in cases that Bolivia cannot afford. The problem is the same as always - fighting a pandemic requires a government to cash in on the trust and legitimacy it has earned from the general public, and Anez's gang of fascists has done very little to build that and a great deal to demolish it. To be able to delay elections without incident, you need a proven prior track record of abiding by them.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

For the record, the stated reasons for the delay are actually fairly sensible - COVID-19 is ravaging the country, and all signs indicate that an election would cause a surge in cases that Bolivia cannot afford. The problem is the same as always - fighting a pandemic requires a government to cash in on the trust and legitimacy it has earned from the general public, and Anez's gang of fascists has done very little to build that and a great deal to demolish it. To be able to delay elections without incident, you need a proven prior track record of abiding by them.

The main problem is that even if you were an avid coup supporter, their "mandate" ended in January, when they no longer could just ignore the issue they still kept delaying the date further, until they finally got their covid emergency situation, which hit Bolivia later than their neighbors even. A situation that of course they also actively fostered by a completely inadequate response

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Elon Musk has officially admitted to bring involved in the military coup which overthrew the Bolivian government

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1286866843307737088?s=21

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

uninterrupted posted:

Elon Musk has officially admitted to bring involved in the military coup which overthrew the Bolivian government

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1286866843307737088?s=21

I mean the coup was bad but,

he really didn't, he's just being rhetorical (a rhetorical rear end in a top hat, but still).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm shocked that the South African blood money dude thinks it's cool to do that. Shocked!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Private Speech posted:

I mean the coup was bad but,

he really didn't, he's just being rhetorical (a rhetorical rear end in a top hat, but still).

Right. If you read the next tweet in that thread, it's making fun of the idea that the US couped Bolivia so Tesla could get their lithium when they import most of their lithium from Australia.

And really, it doesn't make sense, if you think about it, given that Morales was really active in trying to develop Bolivia's lithium mining sector and Bolivia actually increased trade with the US during the Morales years. The US government had a bunch of differences with Morales, but trade wasn't one of them.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Epicurius posted:

Right. If you read the next tweet in that thread, it's making fun of the idea that the US couped Bolivia so Tesla could get their lithium when they import most of their lithium from Australia.

And really, it doesn't make sense, if you think about it, given that Morales was really active in trying to develop Bolivia's lithium mining sector and Bolivia actually increased trade with the US during the Morales years. The US government had a bunch of differences with Morales, but trade wasn't one of them.

Lithium prices fell sharply after the coup. Musk has tons of government contracts and hires private investigators to follow his perceived enemies around and has been known to say more than he should on Twitter and the us has been known to coordinate regime change with the private sector. Assuming he’s joking doesn’t seem prudent

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Morales was active in developing a nationalised lithium mining sector. You think US corps can buy cheap lithium when its not mined by near slaves ingenious people and sold for the benefit of a few rather than a country?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

uninterrupted posted:

Lithium prices fell sharply after the coup. Musk has tons of government contracts and hires private investigators to follow his perceived enemies around and has been known to say more than he should on Twitter and the us has been known to coordinate regime change with the private sector. Assuming he’s joking doesn’t seem prudent

Except, lithium prices had been falling since 2018, and the big slump in prices started in June of 2019. See this chart of lithium prices, for instance:

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/lithium

Put that on top of the fact that lithium is fairly common, Bolivia still doesn't produce that much of it, and the quality of Bolivian lithium ore is poor, and it doesn't seem like the best theory.

Marenghi posted:

Morales was active in developing a nationalised lithium mining sector. You think US corps can buy cheap lithium when its not mined by near slaves ingenious people and sold for the benefit of a few rather than a country?

I think that lithium is mined by enough countries that no one country can corner the market on lithium and control lithium prices. If Bolivia develops a lithium mining sector that wants to sell lithium above global prices, US companies can buy from Chile or Australia just as easily, both of which actually have functional lithium mines, unlike Bolivia which just has a bunch of unexploited lithium reserves.

Here's Thea Riofranco's take on the issue from last year:

https://twitter.com/triofrancos/status/1195052279478521861

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Buying from Australia rather than Bolivia is a meaningless clarification. Commodity markets don't work like that. If Bolivia starts selling lithium cheaper on the international market, prices drop, regardless of where you buy it from.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Theres always people to explain, often with great arguments, that the USA dont need Bolivia's lithium, nor Venezuela's oil, and never needed anything from Iraq and so on

But I figure all these coups and wars must be expensive, and we are to believe they keep doing it for a sincere worry about FREEDOM? Seems unlikely to me

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 26, 2020

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

Theres always people to explain, often with great arguments, that the USA dont need Bolivia's lithium, nor Venezuela's oil, and never needed anything from Iraq and so on

But I figure all these coups and wars must be expensive, and we are to believe they keep doing it for a sincere worry about FREEDOM? Seems unlikely to me

there is an interesting discussion on this point. the FREEDOM thing is, of course, horseshit, but the economic benefits from knocking over south american countries have always been marginal at best. there is an ideological element at play, and the best explanation I've heard of it runs roughly as follows.

postwar American foreign policy was defined by its total ideological opposition to communism, and it came in two flavors. you had the Friedmanites, who believed that bringing free markets to the third world would destroy the enemies of america forever, and if you had to gun down a bunch of them to get it rolling then so be it, and then you had the Dullesites, who believed that the only way to keep the lesser peoples of the earth in line was to have a bunch of the whitest, most christian landowners you could get your hands on fully empowered to brutalize their inferiors at will, and if free market reforms made that easier then sure, whatever, let's do it.

the thing is, in the sixties and seventies the Dullesites had a bunch of domestically embarrassing overreaches, leading to the kinder, gentler school of free marketeers taking over, climaxing in their grand project in Iraq, which they completely pissed down their leg. Obama foreign policy heads did their best to put the ideology on life support- witness the glorious free market in human slaves in Libya, and Obama-backed champion of free enterprise Jair Bolsonaro- but the post-Iraq consensus is firmly agreed that the Friedmanites are full of poo poo, and that the free market is not only not a panacea, it is frequently actively harmful to our aims.

and absent a compelling ideological countermovement, the only people in the American State Department with a solution to the problem of third-world countries not liking us are the Dullesites. look at the list of Obama's regime change attempts, they say. the only one that didn't collapse horribly was Egypt. the one where we broke the law to run guns to a military coup removing a democratically-elected government for not liking us.

the concept "what if we -didn't- overthrow governments for being suspiciously left-wing" does not exist in their toolkits. and so, with that established, the only question remaining is if the coup should be soft, or hard. and the soft coup people have had a real bad twenty years.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Country that has orchestrated coups in order to set up bloodthirsty fascist dictatorships in every Latin American country that ever attempted to nationalize some sort of resource extraction had absolutely no reason to orchestrate a coup in a Latin American country that was setting up a nationalized lithium extraction, I insist.

Elias_Maluco posted:

They're doing it pro bono, out of sheer love for bloodthirsty fascist dictatorships.

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

there is an interesting discussion on this point. the FREEDOM thing is, of course, horseshit, but the economic benefits from knocking over south american countries have always been marginal at best. there is an ideological element at play, and the best explanation I've heard of it runs roughly as follows.

postwar American foreign policy was defined by its total ideological opposition to communism, and it came in two flavors. you had the Friedmanites, who believed that bringing free markets to the third world would destroy the enemies of america forever, and if you had to gun down a bunch of them to get it rolling then so be it, and then you had the Dullesites, who believed that the only way to keep the lesser peoples of the earth in line was to have a bunch of the whitest, most christian landowners you could get your hands on fully empowered to brutalize their inferiors at will, and if free market reforms made that easier then sure, whatever, let's do it.

the thing is, in the sixties and seventies the Dullesites had a bunch of domestically embarrassing overreaches, leading to the kinder, gentler school of free marketeers taking over, climaxing in their grand project in Iraq, which they completely pissed down their leg. Obama foreign policy heads did their best to put the ideology on life support- witness the glorious free market in human slaves in Libya, and Obama-backed champion of free enterprise Jair Bolsonaro- but the post-Iraq consensus is firmly agreed that the Friedmanites are full of poo poo, and that the free market is not only not a panacea, it is frequently actively harmful to our aims.

and absent a compelling ideological countermovement, the only people in the American State Department with a solution to the problem of third-world countries not liking us are the Dullesites. look at the list of Obama's regime change attempts, they say. the only one that didn't collapse horribly was Egypt. the one where we broke the law to run guns to a military coup removing a democratically-elected government for not liking us.

the concept "what if we -didn't- overthrow governments for being suspiciously left-wing" does not exist in their toolkits. and so, with that established, the only question remaining is if the coup should be soft, or hard. and the soft coup people have had a real bad twenty years.

Is there a text I can read about this?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seems like Venezuela's joining in on the continent-wide loving over of indigenous people - they've removed direct election of native representatives in the National Assembly and replaced it with a delegate system where local 'community assemblies' nominate spokespeople to vote in a regional 'general assembly' to pick their representative. This is not a presently-existing structure, but something wholly new, and the odds on it being properly up and running by the elections this December are slim at best. It's also not obviously clear what the official reasoning is for making indigenous democracy in Venezuela much less direct.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Whoopsie I hate when that happens!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
we couped some folks

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

he just...he tweeted it out

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1290753291605942273

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

"what I hope will come to be known as Red Scare 3.0"

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A couple months ago I used Meet Up to go to a weekly lunch at some Vegan Sandwich place. In the group I was placed right next to this yuppie guy from Mexico. He had very light skin and brown/black curly hair. He spoke about how he detested the cities in Mexico and how much he loved certain parts of the countryside with all of the nice humble non-materialistic people. He also had no idea what the 2008 recession was and stated that it didn't effect Mexico since he never knew about it.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
The whole Chris Murphy tweet thread is amazing, not just the one tweet in the middle

https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/1290656452835713025

When the coup regime in Bolivia is finally pushed out again, I am looking forward to reading how that's Trumps fault, too, and how the democrats would have made sure that it sticks

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
One thing I was just thinking about. The decision by Bank of England early last month to declare Guaido the rightful owner of Venezuela’s gold worth a billion as the true president. That’s kinda proven to be bullshit by this recent admittance that Guaido is just an American puppet is it not?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/DenisRogatyuk/status/1290363366712545281

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Marenghi posted:

One thing I was just thinking about. The decision by Bank of England early last month to declare Guaido the rightful owner of Venezuela’s gold worth a billion as the true president. That’s kinda proven to be bullshit by this recent admittance that Guaido is just an American puppet is it not?

When europeans want to steal gold from the third world logical consistency in regards to the excuses being used is pretty low on the priority list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
https://twitter.com/bretgustafson/status/1291116672250793985

So, this guy was the head of the same paramilitary fascist group Camacho stems from...