Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh get hosed

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Sagebrush posted:

oh get hosed

lol

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

which can cause broken limbs or a fractured spine (for which there is no cure).[11][12]

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i refuse to ever try and understand that stupid sentence

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's equivalent to "American buffalo, who are accosted by American buffalo, accost American buffalo back"

i.e. it's stupid

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

It's equivalent to "American buffalo, who are accosted by American buffalo, accost American buffalo back"

i.e. it's stupid
Not quite. Bison from Buffalo, NY accost bison from Buffalo, NY.
A tragic plague of buffalo on buffalo violence, promoted as a distraction so they will remain divided and not rise up against their wolf overlords.
Buffalo buffalo of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your wings.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

quote:

Customer delight is surprising a customer by exceeding his or her expectations and thus creating a positive emotional reaction. This emotional reaction leads to word of mouth. Customer delight directly affects sales and profitability of a company as it helps to distinguish the company and its products and services from the competition.[1][2] In the past customer satisfaction has been seen as a key performance indicator. Customer satisfaction measures the extent to which the expectations of a customer are met (compared to expectations being exceeded). However, it has been discovered that mere customer satisfaction does not create brand loyalty nor does it encourage positive word of mouth.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

quote:

The meme is a reference to a Twitter post on 12 June 2016 by Ben Ward, an Australian cartoonist using the online handle "pixelatedboat".[1] His Twitter joke describes a fictional Internet viral phenomenon of a "lovely duck that drinks milkshakes" and is subsequently discovered to be racist. Ward described the Twitter message as "a pretty good joke" summing up a recent trend where popularity that comes via the Internet can be quickly undone by the discovery of something troubling in a person's past. When asked in 2017, Ward was unsure what actually inspired him to make the joke, but recalled it was partially influenced by the Chewbacca Mask Lady.[7][8][9]

In December 2017, Oxford Dictionaries announced that the phrase was a runner-up as "word of the year", losing out to "youthquake".[3] In January 2018, Australia's Macquarie Dictionary named "milkshake duck" its 2017 "word of the year".[10]

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’ve never seen the word youthquake before

I’m sure the dictionary is very embarrassed

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

El_Elegante posted:

isn't there a band named youthquake? or an album? sounds vaguely familiar

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

prefect posted:

There was Silverchair, I think they were Australian?

I saw them at Summerfest once, I think?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

prefect posted:

it definitely sounds like a very late nu-metal band

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
comin' atcha from 1985

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

omfg is that real

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Carthag Tuek posted:

omfg is that real

100% real, it's even the album that You Spin Me Round (Like a Record) is on

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

you quake me right youth baby
right youth like a record baby
right youth youth youth

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_personality

Alexander Abian (1923–1999) – American mathematician who taught for many years at Iowa State University and became an Internet legend for his incessant and frequently bizarre posts to various Usenet newsgroups. In particular, he gained international notoriety for his claims that blowing up the Moon would solve virtually every problem of human existence, and that mass and time are equivalent. (With regard to the second claim, it was suggested on the "sci.astro.amateur" newsgroup that his demise be observed with a gram of silence.)[1] One of Dr. Abian's most endearing hypotheses was the challenge to the Big Bang Theory with the Big Suck Theory.[2]

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pakled posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_personality

Alexander Abian (1923–1999) – American mathematician who taught for many years at Iowa State University and became an Internet legend for his incessant and frequently bizarre posts to various Usenet newsgroups. In particular, he gained international notoriety for his claims that blowing up the Moon would solve virtually every problem of human existence, and that mass and time are equivalent. (With regard to the second claim, it was suggested on the "sci.astro.amateur" newsgroup that his demise be observed with a gram of silence.)[1] One of Dr. Abian's most endearing hypotheses was the challenge to the Big Bang Theory with the Big Suck Theory.[2]

Extraordinarily worth-filled.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

alt.destroy.the.earth alumni checking in

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

we're earthlings, let's blow up earth things

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Devonaut posted:

we're earthlings, let's blow up earth things

afaik the idea is that its less energy if we crash the moon into the earth but tbh im fine with whatever is easiest

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Carthag Tuek posted:

you quake me right youth baby
right youth like a record baby
right youth youth youth

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The wiki page on frituur/friterie (a place where you can buy freshly prepared fries) has an audio clip of the background noises of a typical frituur.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File%3AWWS_8220Fritkot8221.ogg

Is this meant to be ASMR or something?

Here's the page btw.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friterie

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

El_Elegante posted:

it was a big thing in uk politics around the 2017 election, labour's much better than expected result being evidence that the younger generation were starting to turn out to vote. almost immediately it was disproven - under-25 turnout was higher than normal, like 30% instead of 25%, while all the boomers turned out to vote to gently caress poo poo up as always.

what actually happened was much more complex and way out of bounds for this thread, but "youthquake" stuck around as a salve for the consciences of all the blueticks who both got their election predictions completely wrong and wanted desperately to ignore the possibility that there might be more reasons that people turned out than "hurr labour offered students free stuff", so in a way it's pretty apposite as a word of the year.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
not worthless, but wikipedia:

Guitarist Peter Buck explained why the song slows towards its conclusion in an interview with Guitar World magazine:

The truth is, Mike [Mills, bassist] slowed down the pace and we all followed, and then I noticed he looked strange. It turned out he had appendicitis and we had to rush him to the hospital. So we never wound up redoing it.[8]
— Peter Buck

:allears::swoon:

my brain will probably never forget the phrase "berrybuckmillsstipe"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/meanlittleworm/status/1284841640780271621

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Of note is the use of an Australian actress to play a woman from London during the initial PennyTalk commercial campaign.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Paris syndrome (French: syndrome de Paris, Japanese: パリ症候群, pari shōkōgun) is a sense of disappointment exhibited by some individuals when visiting or going on vacation to Paris, who feel that Paris is not as beautiful as they had expected it to be.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

wikimedia is full of dick and vag pics

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

posting my dick to every available image host to prove that, in some small way, i am

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Paris syndrome (French: syndrome de Paris, Japanese: パリ症候群, pari shōkōgun) is a sense of disappointment exhibited by some individuals when visiting or going on vacation to Paris, who feel that Paris is not as beautiful as they had expected it to be.

This is actually a pretty fascinating phenomenon.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_syndrome

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

carry on then posted:

posting my dick to every available image host to prove that, in some small way, i am

Yeah, a very small way

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

xtal posted:

Yeah, a very small way

microblogging.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

This is actually a pretty fascinating phenomenon.

yeah if your mental picture of paris is based purely on media then the actual paris is going to be a hell of a shock to your system.

this is the case for most european cities to non-europeans of course, but the gap between perception (beautiful city filled with glamorous people and suffused with romance) and the reality (occasional nice buildings wedged between the normal detritus of modern cityscapes, filled with parisians who are considered arseholes *even by other french people*, and suffused with a truly astonishing amount of dogshit) is way, way wider than any other with the possible exception of venice.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

a truly astonishing amount of dogshit

I'm glad I'm not the only person who noticed this about Paris.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

yeah if your mental picture of paris is based purely on media then the actual paris is going to be a hell of a shock to your system.

this is the case for most european cities to non-europeans of course, but the gap between perception (beautiful city filled with glamorous people and suffused with romance) and the reality (occasional nice buildings wedged between the normal detritus of modern cityscapes, filled with parisians who are considered arseholes *even by other french people*, and suffused with a truly astonishing amount of dogshit) is way, way wider than any other with the possible exception of venice.

i assume it's also exacerbated just because japanese social norms and french social norms are about as opposite as you can get.

suffice it to say that in japan you don't really have streets covered in dogshit with a bunch of drunk men with they dicks out peeing on a statue while a middle eastern guy yells swears at you from a cab and waiters throw food in your face with a disgusted sigh and every pretty little site from the postcards is actually invisible behind 100,000 fat white people

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 20, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i assume it's also exacerbated just because japanese social norms and french social norms are about as opposite as you can get.

suffice it to say that in japan you don't really have streets covered in dogshit with a bunch of drunk men with they dicks out peeing on a statue while a middle eastern guy yells swears at you from a cab and waiters throw food in your face with a disgusted sigh and every pretty little site from the postcards is actually invisible behind 100,000 fat white people

i've read that another contributing factor is that a trip to paris is often an attempt by japanese couples to revive a moribund relationship because thats a fairly common trope, only for them to get there and discover that they still can't stand each other but now have to deal with all of the paris going on. i can imagine that being enough to tip someone over the edge.

i wonder if weebs get tokyo syndrome? just melting down in the middle of shibuya crossing because nobody gives two shits about them and that they have a ceramic, not plastic, bento box.

e: not wiki, not worhless, but saclopedia just filled in a detail i never knew about that magnificent bit of poster lore:

quote:

On J-List they used to sell some two-compartment bento box where the brand name was "Z-Kotoba" and so he probably misread it as "2 Kotoba" and figured kotoba means compartment. He obviously didn't know what he was talking about but that never stops animu nerds from showing off their "knowledge" of Japanese.

Back in the '80s he probably saw a pair of Z Cavaricci pants and figured that "cavaricci" was Italian for "leg".

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i've read that another contributing factor is that a trip to paris is often an attempt by japanese couples to revive a moribund relationship because thats a fairly common trope, only for them to get there and discover that they still can't stand each other but now have to deal with all of the paris going on. i can imagine that being enough to tip someone over the edge.
is there something in japanese pop culture that has created this unusually resonant vision of paris as a magical "city of lights, city of love" that doesnt exist in most other countries?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i wonder if weebs get tokyo syndrome? just melting down in the middle of shibuya crossing because nobody gives two shits about them and that they have a ceramic, not plastic, bento box.
i thought that would happen from time to time - a weeb would find finally make it to japan, discover that it wasnt all giant robots and big-eyed schoolgirls and ninja attacks, and be profoundly bummed out

i wonder if people who make their first trip to a disney theme park as adults are disappointed when they realize its just a bunch of roller coasters and gift shops and bad food and not the magical land of dreams and enchantment they had hoped it would be?