Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

plenty of exciting ways to love your wife, who is Betty Boop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

There's actually two interpretations to this punchline. What he's literally saying is, that rich people tend to pay for their families to get surgery in sprout tier. Which could imply that sprout tier is the best tier because the regular doctors and the management doctors are actually terrible, or it could also imply that rich people are miserly penny pinchers and that the entire tier system is just an excuse to make interns do all the work. Naturally, I chose the interpretation that was easiest to fit in the limited space I had available to me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Some Guy TT posted:

There's actually two interpretations to this punchline. What he's literally saying is, that rich people tend to pay for their families to get surgery in sprout tier. Which could imply that sprout tier is the best tier because the regular doctors and the management doctors are actually terrible, or it could also imply that rich people are miserly penny pinchers and that the entire tier system is just an excuse to make interns do all the work. Naturally, I chose the interpretation that was easiest to fit in the limited space I had available to me.

For a very minor surgery that they make interns do, the interns are probably the most in practice on it :v:

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Next time: new adventure!

Destroy History

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 25, 2022

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Wikipedia sources say that Russia's manpower was ~40,000 men, which is significantly smaller, but still ~four times more than Swedes/Finns.

Soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o4yccttch4
The March of Narva, which was allegedly played for the first time during this campaign (although it's probably originally from Ireland). Now played during presidential funerals.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Man in Black

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is a redraw of a repeat.

this is terrifying

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Dustin should look for a new temp agency because this one is absolutely dogshit at placing him.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean gently caress Kelley and Ed all day long but Dustin IS written as a pretty lovely employee

Although he definitely needs medical attention for something or other

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

The Bloop posted:

I mean gently caress Kelley and Ed all day long but Dustin IS written as a pretty lovely employee

Although he definitely needs medical attention for something or other

Dustin is always seen sleeping at an empty desk, with nothing on his computer screen. Guy's not being given any kind of interesting or engaging work, and he's probably got severe depression to boot. No wonder his body is just telling him to conk out.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

And just like that, Heimo Suominen finds his spine.

Heck yeah

The Bloop posted:

With every reason to hate this strip, who would have thought that the way he is drawn holding a donut would piss me off the most

The fact that you can't see his hand through the hole implies some weird things about how his fingers are shaped.

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 28, 1940)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Green Intern posted:

Dustin is always seen sleeping at an empty desk, with nothing on his computer screen. Guy's not being given any kind of interesting or engaging work, and he's probably got severe depression to boot. No wonder his body is just telling him to conk out.
There have been multiple jokes about him falling asleep in the middle of a conversation. Dude's got some kind of narcolepsy.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Medenmath posted:

Congrats, Slith! You've come so very far since that time when Val was calmly drowning you :3:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Medenmath posted:

Hey, The Shirtless Hunk and his buddies also saved her life, so she should marry them all.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zereth posted:

There have been multiple jokes about him falling asleep in the middle of a conversation. Dude's got some kind of narcolepsy.

also lol at giving the temp interesting and engaging work

He is being hired for data entry - you don't trust interesting things to temps

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

This is apparently James Allen's last week of regular strips, Sundays are unknown. Prediction: Sassy kills everyone.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

I find myself liking Ginty. He seems like a good guy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
some :pwn: legs in that Mary Worth strip

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

The Bloop posted:

also lol at giving the temp interesting and engaging work

He is being hired for data entry - you don't trust interesting things to temps

I never said it was unrealistic that he was being given drudge work.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kennel posted:

Hey, The Shirtless Hunk and his buddies also saved her life, so she should marry them all.
I love having a threesome with my wife Hulta and her tribesmen and Prince Valiant

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

My wife and I have this same philosophy; being a teenager is hard enough without having your parents posting your personal life on the internet. We always ask them first before sharing something.

B Kliban

Me too, me too. I'm old enough that I was around for it's last appearance. Of course the news made a huge deal of it but when it finally arrived it was a huge disappointment. Honestly neowise has been more exciting.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

riderchop posted:

Rae the Doe

I love this. I think its the first one of the newspaper ones to hit the humor of the web ones.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Medenmath posted:

Heck yeah

The fact that you can't see his hand through the hole implies some weird things about how his fingers are shaped.

:3:

One thing that bothers me about the current RMMD storyline- I don't know if it's just supposed to be like we're seeing it ~through Sarah's imagination~ or whatever- but Rex and June don't look any younger. Part of the fun of doing a flashback is getting to draw your characters looking slightly different and I'm disappointed at the lack of enthusiasm

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Shiroc posted:

I love this. I think its the first one of the newspaper ones to hit the humor of the web ones.

Yeah. I love the webcomic and have been kind of rooting for the syndicated version to hit its stride, and this one got a real laugh out of me.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac didn't ask.

Don't dox me.

Shiroc posted:

It's even better if you've read the webcomic, because Rae being hyperinsecure is one of the running gags, e.g.

curtadams fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 20, 2020

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

amigolupus posted:

God, why does everyone have to bow and scrape to get Les' approval? There is so many horrible things in this, but Les' little thumbs up of approval at the end made me cringe and groan out loud. :barf:

No, you don't understand. He loved a girl. A girl who died.

How many times has that happened in human history?

Sally Forth's Imagination Sadcation

Skippy (February 2, 1933)

Peanuts (July 23, 1973)

Cancerwife: The Movie

And that's how Mason Jarre turned Les Moore into the Stan Lee cameo of disease-of-the-week movies.

Crankshaft

9 "Does 'Object of Pity' Count As 'Objectification'?" Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 18, 1937)

Out Our Way (November 1-3, 1934)

Dok's I DEMAND TO SPEAK TO YOUR MANAGER Duck (March 1, 1913)

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

EasyEW posted:

9 "Does 'Object of Pity' Count As 'Objectification'?" Lane

It drives me wild how their two infant children are clearly the farthest thing from their minds at all times.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

kazz posted:

It drives me wild how their two infant children are clearly the farthest thing from their minds at all times.

brooke has almost certainly forgotten about them

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Been watching Steven Universe, have we?

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/19/00

Brenda Starr 1/25/42

Smokey Stover 8/30/36

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wow I just got super doxed.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

curtadams posted:

Don't dox me.

It's even better if you've read the webcomic, because Rae being hyperinsecure is one of the running gags, e.g.

Goddamnit stop spying on me :mad:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Amos and Edna have given their children away to the Fair Folk and it's in everybody's best interest to not speak their names aloud ever again. Beware...

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack Here he is!

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

FrumpleOrz fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 21, 2020

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

How Wonderful! posted:

Amos and Edna have given their children away to the Fair Folk and it's in everybody's best interest to not speak their names aloud ever again. Beware...

I don't think that'll make them get over the whole hexing the moon thing.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I don't know what I was expecting with Holbrook, but I definitely wasn't expecting that bad of a Dick Tracy depiction.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

This killed me and I don't even know why.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 25, 2022

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

This is the worst depiction of Dick Tracy I've ever seen.

quote:

Safe Havens

Just a reminder that the Roger being referred to is the screen they are all looking at. Specifically it's some guy who wears a giant tablet screen suit for some incomprehensible reason.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
"Ages ago I died as men die!" Jan. 14th- 20th, 1980

Thulsa Doom! Thulsa Doom! :rock:

RE Howard, The Cat and the Skull posted:

King Kull went with Tu, chief councillor of the throne, to see the talking cat of Delcardes, for though a cat may look at a king, it is not every king to look at a cat like Delcardes'. So Kull forgot the death-threat of Thulsa Doom the necromancer and went to Delcardes.

Thulsa Doom is famously the villain of the 1982 film played fantastically by James Earl Jones (though the character has more in common with Thoth-amon, seen in The Phoenix on the Sword and mentioned in The God in the Bowl), and as such is associated with Conan. However, his first appearance, and only one in Howard's writings, is in the 1928 Kull story The Cat and the Skull, whose first paragraph is above. In it, he was described when making his appearance in the climax, as

RE Howard, The Cat and the Skull posted:

Kull tore the veil away with one motion and recoiled with a gasp. Delcardes screamed and her knees gave way; the councillors pressed backwards, faces white and the guard released their grasp and shrank horror-struck away.

The face of the man was a bare white skull, in whose eye sockets flamed livid fire!

[...]

"You are a fool of no discernment, Kull," said he, "else you had never mistaken that other fool, Kuthulos, for me, even with the veil and his garments."

Kull saw that it was so, for though the twain were alike in height and general shape, the flesh of the skull-faced wizard was like that of a man long dead.

Now, The Cat and the Skull, while enjoyable and quite fun, isn't actually particularly good. Part of that is the edit. Originally titled Delcardes' Cat, it seems like it was originally written with a different ending, with a different villain (Kuthulos, who Thulsa Doom impersonated). However, it appears that the idea of Thulsa Doom (originally written as 'Thulses Doom') just popped suddenly into his head when he was 22 pages into a 25 page draft. As Patrice Louinet describes in "Atlantean Genesis"

Patrice Louinet, Atlantean Genesis posted:

Howard, in a particularly unprofessional move, didn't even rewrite his story, making all his changes on his first draft, and retitled the tale The Cat and the Skull, whose "Skull" is an explicit reference to Thulsa Doom. The story survives as an original (with the modifications) and a carbon (which shows the first stage of the story).

As such, the Delcardes' Cat version basically has 'Thulses Doom' appear suddenly and with no real build-up. The edit added several lines of foreshadowing, including that final sentence in the very first paragraph (the original version is exactly the same, barring that one line, and several others are added similarly). Howard submitted the story to Weird Tales in 1928, where it was rejected. It was first published in 1967, when Lancer Books published a Kull collection.

Howard did keep the idea of a skull-faced Atlantean sorcerer, writing a story called Skull-Face (which I thought was collected in The Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard but apparently is not), which was influenced by Sax Rohmer's Fu Manchu, but instead of a yellow peril villain used a resurrected Atlantean sorcerer instead (it does NOT, however, sound like it is any better about the racism).

Thulsa Doom took on a greater life when he appeared in Marvel Comic's Kull series, and then after said series ended when he showed up in a few Conan comics. Apparently he was a recurring villain in Andrew J Offut's Cormac Mac Art (one of Howard's semi-historical characters, an Irish pirate in the time of King Arthur) pastiches, where after being resurrected he discovers Cormac Mac Art is the reincarnation of Kull and swears to destroy him (this is not completely without precedent, despite being semi-historical for the most part, there was apparently a Cormac Mac Art story where he fights the last of the serpent-men, previously seen in the Kull story The Shadow Kingdom, entitled The Temple of Abomination, though this appears to have been an unfinished fragment patched up by editor Richard L Tierney. Huh. I have a Red Sonja novel by him that I haven't read).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S3mTdb9Ups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set could be anybody.

Working Daze is dumb.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is...uh...okay...

Cul De Sac had a full day.