Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Wait, gnome statuettes are spikes? drat, I never noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Thx for the input on skybridges in 1.4. I'll probably make one for a few key bossfights but I'm not making one that covers the whole world like I used to do

Also fishing for biome crates sure is a tedious affair. I'm sitting in my jungle village with 170 fishing power and I'm drowning in wood/iron crates and have seen one jungle crate so far. I just want some dang flower boots :qq:

E: Also up to 80 obsidian crates and no charm so far very cool

E2: Cracked 108 obsidian crates and not a single charm. gently caress it I'm going to use a world seed that has one

Eikre posted:

I lust for gnome death.
lol at gnometse

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 17, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Is there a way to sort of anticipate where the dreaded V will spawn after you kill the wall? I've built a 6 block trench around my main area and also around both of my corrupted areas and don't think that there is more that you can do without being crazy about it, right?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Tin Tim posted:

lol at gnometse

gnoatse

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tin Tim posted:

Is there a way to sort of anticipate where the dreaded V will spawn after you kill the wall? I've built a 6 block trench around my main area and also around both of my corrupted areas and don't think that there is more that you can do without being crazy about it, right?

You didn't even need to do that. This isn't 1.1, the spreading biomes are quite slow except in sand. As for where the v spawns, it usually ends up about halfway between the center of the map and the dungeon on one side and the jungle on the other.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Finally killed Moon Lord, got a good rhythm going of killing the pillars, making a couple of sigils, killing him a couple of times, getting back to the dungeon and killing the cultist, pillars, moon lord. 11 kills got me enough to finish Zenith. I thought to myself "good thing he drops a fair bit of money, this is probably going to clean me out".

Under a platinum and a half for Legendary. I'm never that lucky.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
If I wanted to start playing terraria singleplayer, and wanted a classic style experience, allowing me to play the game from beginning to end (yes I realize there is replayability), what should my character and world be?

I'd assume classic for the character, classic for the world, but then small, medium or large? What about corruption vs crimson?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Skyarb posted:

If I wanted to start playing terraria singleplayer, and wanted a classic style experience, allowing me to play the game from beginning to end (yes I realize there is replayability), what should my character and world be?

I'd assume classic for the character, classic for the world, but then small, medium or large? What about corruption vs crimson?

Small + doesn't matter, but I like corruption

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i really don’t recommend small worlds but maybe it’s the ones best suited if you’re new. the pros of having a small world diminish as you get better movement options but the downsides are eternal

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

It’s better just to learn the game with a large world, especially when you get to Hardmode.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You can cut down a lot on the pointless grinding if you play in Journey mode. Research everything you find until you can clone it at will. You'll still need to grind a bit to acquire stuff in the first place, but you'll only have to do that once per thing.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I also recommend playing on a large world. Sarting from the moment you get the Demolitionist you can set up the forest pylon at your main safehouse and set up temporary camps to move the underground pylon around to whichever waypoint you want to work out of, and before hard-mode you can have the entire network set-up and reel in Obsidifish to make the portal potions that take you back to the field after you're done at base and then you can pretty much quicktravel with impunity. After the first exploratory lap or two of your game world, such utilities remove the tedium of distance as a significant concern.

I would favor Corruption for your first playthrough because the challenge it provides when you first venture into it involves the environmental difference that it has with everywhere else in the game. The Crimson doesn't duplicate this factor quite the same way, and the desperation of your first descent into the Corruption is honestly my favorite narrative beat in the game.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I wouldn't recommend a large world, you get the exact same amount of resources as a medium world except everthing is further apart. Large is good for multiplayer servers but for singleplayer I'd stick with medium.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Large isn't as tedious as it used to be (largely thanks to pylons) but I'm playing one right now with another goon. We're right at the mechanical bosses so I have a bunch of mobility stuff, we've set up two extensive rail networks, and I still hate it. Such a slog and half our biomes are still tiny anyway (the desert is maybe two screens wide on the surface).

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

You can cut down a lot on the pointless grinding if you play in Journey mode. Research everything you find until you can clone it at will. You'll still need to grind a bit to acquire stuff in the first place, but you'll only have to do that once per thing.

You dont need to grind, also journey mode is just straight up cheating lol

E: maybe if you have extreme self control it isnt. I'd like to see journeymode lite at some point that doesnt let you flip on cheats and keeps spawns static

mbt fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 20, 2020

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I can understand not wanting to cheat if it's your first or second time.

If you've sunk 500+ hours before journey mode became available, cheating feels like a relief.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I've played through the game for almost every major patch. I just edited the cell phone in this time and I have no regrets.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
My personal code of honor prevents me from ruining the experience by cheating. I studied the blade

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I studied the blade, and then used journey mode to make a full stack of them

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

my e-bushido will be in tatters and my ancestors will NOT be smiling down on me unless i manually dig up every block of dirt

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm on journey mode, I have half the quest fish duped. I have final armor, the sdmg, zenith, the flying star pad thing and the flying insignia from the empress. I have terraspark boots, and I completed the ankh shield legitimately. I still only have one of the loving fishing ingredients for the cell phone and since I'm at a point where I can take down the moon lord in about 5 seconds I kind of don't care to finish at this point.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

I studied the blade, and then used journey mode to make a full stack of them

:hmmyes:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I have more than 140 fishing quests on my current world and don't have a Bottomless Water Bucket. MMOs went to a model of the bosses dropping a couple of items of loot and then currency, so you could always be working towards something as opposed to the possibility of killing it 20 times and never seeing what you want, and Terraria could probably use something similar.

That being said, for the $10 I spent and the hours I've gotten out of it, I'm not complaining.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Memento posted:

I have more than 140 fishing quests on my current world and don't have a Bottomless Water Bucket.
You need to be in hardmode for it to drop, in case you aren't. And it's kinda bullshit imo since you can fish the lava bucket/sponge in normal mode but the water bucket/sponge is way more useful for pre-hardmode construction than the lava stuff is

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm on journey mode, I have half the quest fish duped. I have final armor, the sdmg, zenith, the flying star pad thing and the flying insignia from the empress. I have terraspark boots, and I completed the ankh shield legitimately. I still only have one of the loving fishing ingredients for the cell phone and since I'm at a point where I can take down the moon lord in about 5 seconds I kind of don't care to finish at this point.

You can do rapid fishing quests in journey mode by skipping to dawn, get a quest. Then you catch it or get a duped fish, turn it in, change time to midnight and back to dawn. Repeat.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I did that a bunch but always get sick of it after a half dozen. I'm well over 50 quests, I just can't care enough to keep going to have a thing that I honestly don't need anymore.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tin Tim posted:

You need to be in hardmode for it to drop, in case you aren't. And it's kinda bullshit imo since you can fish the lava bucket/sponge in normal mode but the water bucket/sponge is way more useful for pre-hardmode construction than the lava stuff is

I actually just got it last night. I started playing on my other steam account when Journey's End came out, so my kids could play on my main account. I hadn't done any fishing quests, and did around 40 to get the cell phone parts before Hardmode. I'm currently sitting on 190/200 for that achievement, so it took 150 quests to get it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Discovered something weird. I made a small world to pillage some things and the game has lag when I traverse certain points of that world. It also slows down real hard when it rains&storms. I have never had any lag in my main world(medium) so now I gotta wonder wtf is up with that?

E: I...accidentally binned my angler hat and vest before realizing what was going on :negative:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 22, 2020

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Tin Tim posted:

Discovered something weird. I made a small world to pillage some things and the game has lag when I traverse certain points of that world. It also slows down real hard when it rains&storms. I have never had any lag in my main world(medium) so now I gotta wonder wtf is up with that?

E: I...accidentally binned my angler hat and vest before realizing what was going on :negative:

I say just download an all items world and then pilfer those two items, then delete the world. You already put the hours in.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Wheres tmodloader

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

probably still at least a few months from being up to date

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Welp. I just beat Master Mode, Classic, with all bosses (including no-hit Empress for the Terraprisma, for extra masochism points)
For future reference: do not do this stupid thing.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Good job! I'm glad I played through on journey because I hated farming the drat bugs to summon the empress.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Donkringel posted:

I say just download an all items world and then pilfer those two items, then delete the world. You already put the hours in.
Might look into that. Making a new character to fish and ferry the items into my world sucks

Also, my containment efforts pre-hardmode have sorta failed. One corruption biome apparently had spread underground without me knowing and is past its trench. Not too much of an issue since my jungle is safe and there's enough space where it can grow before I have to contain it. Also holy poo poo there is sooo much hallow and my ice biome is already converted. Need to work on getting the steampunker asap to quell some spread. Especially since hallow is creeping up on one side of my jungle farm/planterra arena. Biome already changes if I move to that side so I gotta hustle a bit

I'm currently decked out in titanium armor and wonder what weapon I should obtain to fight the mech bosses? It's been a good while since I played so I forgot where all the cool stuff is. Luckily I found a hel-fire right after starting hardmode which has carried me so far but fighting bosses with it is going to suck

The_Final_Stand posted:

Welp. I just beat Master Mode, Classic, with all bosses (including no-hit Empress for the Terraprisma, for extra masochism points)
For future reference: do not do this stupid thing.
:worship:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
An Onyx Blaster isn't too hard to farm up and pretty effectively with Ichor bullets. A Dart Pistol or Rifle is also pretty easy to get, farm up Souls of Night to make keys and convert chests into mimics, and the Daedelus Stormbow brutalises The Destroyer if you have a good farm for Souls of Light.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Terraprisma is totally awesome and learning how to beat daytime enraged Empress is a totally wild and fun experience.

You have to learn about previously unneeded mechanics...
  • asphalt sky bridges
  • Maybe even teleporters being used in combat
...and specific gear sets and item combinations make the fight a little easier (hint: hallowed is really good for this). Then the fight itself is still difficult and you need to learn her attack patterns and stuff.

Then you get the most overpowered offensive item in the game that trivializes all content. The moon lord, after beating Empress, is a freaking joke.

It’s was absolutely the zenith of my unmodded Terraria experience. Being able to summon 9 swords to murderize everything felt awesome.

e: hehe did not even notice the zenith double meaning with the actual Zenith sword that... summons 9 swords to murderize.

DNK fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 26, 2020

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly

DNK posted:

Terraprisma is totally awesome and learning how to beat daytime enraged Empress is a totally wild and fun experience.

It is, yes. I did it using the Witch's Broom (or, for non Master Mode Masochists, the UFO), Chlorophyte Bullets, Hallowed Armour (for that guaranteed dodge) and a Rod of Discord twinked from a previous playthrough. Be liberal with the Rod's use, since being hit is death anyway.

I found that using asphalt messes with her patterns too much for my liking, they become too random to meaningfully dodge, particularly the unaimed swords.

That said, once you get it, you have a summon that's drastically more responsive than any other (which is vital in Master Mode), with very high accuracy, and deals more damage on-hit than anything other than a large Stardust Dragon, which has the problem of only being in one place at a time. The only downside is you can't direct them to focus an enemy down, but as a summoner you probably want the closest thing dead anyway.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The one thing I have always disliked about summons is the way they eat up "damage slots." Many people have probably never run into it, but it's like this: every enemy can take an arbitrary amount of damage during a given time period, but they can only take a limited number of damage ticks. So if you hit a boss with, let's say, twenty bullets per second, it will take damage from all those twenty bullets. If, however, you hit it with twenty bullets and ten summons, then the ten summons will take up half of those 20 slots and only ten of your bullets will actually do damage, even if every single one of your attacks hits. Since player attacks pretty much universally do more damage than summon attacks, this is a massive loss of damage.

Since I preferentially play modded games, I stopped using summons because of this. After a point, they hurt your DPS more thant they add to it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Summons are for getting rid of trash mobs while you focus on non-combat activities like exploration, building, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

The one thing I have always disliked about summons is the way they eat up "damage slots." Many people have probably never run into it, but it's like this: every enemy can take an arbitrary amount of damage during a given time period, but they can only take a limited number of damage ticks. So if you hit a boss with, let's say, twenty bullets per second, it will take damage from all those twenty bullets. If, however, you hit it with twenty bullets and ten summons, then the ten summons will take up half of those 20 slots and only ten of your bullets will actually do damage, even if every single one of your attacks hits. Since player attacks pretty much universally do more damage than summon attacks, this is a massive loss of damage.

Since I preferentially play modded games, I stopped using summons because of this. After a point, they hurt your DPS more thant they add to it.

I believe this has changed with 1.4. They seem to have shifted summons off from standard iframes.