Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Question Mark Mound posted:

Awesome! I’m not seeing a silent mode toggle right now in Shortcuts either but hopefully that’s coming too.

I don’t see any actions for silent mode but would changing the volume not work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t see any actions for silent mode but would changing the volume not work?
I imagine that'd be problematic for the main goal:

Question Mark Mound posted:

I wanna play a music game

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If DND is on then silent mode isn’t needed, and if silent mode is on then DND isn’t needed though?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Yeah, though I have silent mode on 99% of the time I use my iPad as visual notifications are plenty and I don’t need sound outside of YouTube, but most games respect the silent mode toggle and so won’t play noise through the speakers regardless of volume while it’s switched on.

The actual answer is probably to find some wired headphones in a drawer somewhere so that silent mode doesn’t matter when I’m playing.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 17, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is it an iOS 14 thing where my dock keeps hiding? It’s just always hiding itself and I have to keep sliding up to bring it back. I could have sworn on iOS 13 the dock was always there.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it an iOS 14 thing where my dock keeps hiding? It’s just always hiding itself and I have to keep sliding up to bring it back. I could have sworn on iOS 13 the dock was always there.
Dock is there on the home screen but hidden while in apps.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

My 2018 ipad pro just won't charge...the red battery icon flashes no matter what combo of charger/cable I'm using. Googling seems to indicate Apple may have to replace - has anyone fixed this?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

TheManWithNoName posted:

My 2018 ipad pro just won't charge...the red battery icon flashes no matter what combo of charger/cable I'm using. Googling seems to indicate Apple may have to replace - has anyone fixed this?

Compressed air and tweasers fixes that 9 times out of 10. Usually a small *something* has gotten in and is preventing things from making good contact.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hughlander posted:

Compressed air and tweasers fixes that 9 times out of 10. Usually a small *something* has gotten in and is preventing things from making good contact.

Yup. Have you stuck a toothpick in the lightning port, OP? Usually some lint accumulated in there

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
The iPad Pro w/ magic keyboard and trackpad is just amazing. The curser works so well. The only thing I’m noticing is that I wish there were more keyboard and trackpad shortcuts. I find myself not wanting to lift my hands to touch the screen that often.

Like, ideally, I want to touch the screen when I want to, but shouldn’t have to.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

dexter6 posted:

The iPad Pro w/ magic keyboard and trackpad is just amazing. The curser works so well. The only thing I’m noticing is that I wish there were more keyboard and trackpad shortcuts. I find myself not wanting to lift my hands to touch the screen that often.

Like, ideally, I want to touch the screen when I want to, but shouldn’t have to.

Look up a cheat sheet for MacOS keyboard shortcuts. I don't have an ipad/keyboard setup but from what I understand there's a lot of overlap on that.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

TheManWithNoName posted:

I'd chat Apple (You can call too, but volume and hold times are batshit thanks to the rona) and yeah, check for dustbunnies in the port but unless you're on 13.6 it might be software.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Look up a cheat sheet for MacOS keyboard shortcuts. I don't have an ipad/keyboard setup but from what I understand there's a lot of overlap on that.
Yeah, I’ve been using OS X for years.

One of the things I’m thinking of is getting to the Home Screen (from either locked or within the app).

On MacOS, I would Cmd+Tab to the Finder app and that would bring me home. No such luck on iPadOS

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

dexter6 posted:

Yeah, I’ve been using OS X for years.

One of the things I’m thinking of is getting to the Home Screen (from either locked or within the app).

On MacOS, I would Cmd+Tab to the Finder app and that would bring me home. No such luck on iPadOS

three finger swipe up or cmd+h

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

three finger swipe up or cmd+h
:not worthy:

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Long press cmd to see a list of all available shortcuts in the current app.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Honj Steak posted:

Long press cmd to see a list of all available shortcuts in the current app.

yes, also this! very useful. doesn’t show os-level stuff (ie. cmd+h for home, cmd+opt+D for dock, etc) but still super helpful.

also, trackpad gestures are incredibly useful. three-finger swipes work like home bar swipes (ie. left/right switches apps, up and hold is multitasking). two finger swipes often function like swiping a single finger on the screen does: in mail, two finger swiping while the cursor is over an email lets you swipe it to the left or right to do those short actions; safari lets you go back/forward, and occasionally apps have it so two finger swiping “back” functions like the back button/swiping in from the edge of the screen.

you can also summon spotlight from anywhere and drag apps out of that search and directly into multitasking, moving the cursor to the right then moving it to the right again once at the edge brings up slide over and you can use three finger swipes on those just the same.

basically, the magic keyboard works so well you essentially never have to move your hands away from it if you don’t want.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Hughlander posted:

Thanks to everyone who suggested this, it worked great and is charging now. I've had this happen to my phone but I never thought it could happen to an iPad.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

sleepwalkers posted:

yes, also this! very useful. doesn’t show os-level stuff (ie. cmd+h for home, cmd+opt+D for dock, etc) but still super helpful.

Hold CMD on the home screen for those.

CMD + Space is also a good one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheManWithNoName posted:

Thanks to everyone who suggested this, it worked great and is charging now. I've had this happen to my phone but I never thought it could happen to an iPad.

Stop putting it in your cargo jorts

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Endless Mike posted:

favourite part of the mini when I first bought it :v

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I've googled for almost an hour now and still can't determine wither a 9.7 6th gen iPad smart cover will fit a 7th gen 10.2.

iPad 10.2: 250.6 x 174.1
iPad 9.7: 240 x 169.5

The smart covers are A: cheaper, and B: come in cooler colors.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I just put a 9.7 cover on a 10.5 ipad (which has the same general dimensions as the 10.2, just with smaller bezels) and this is what you get:

it's not great. and the smart cover doesn't lock/unlock the device when you open/close it for some reason. I'd just go with the correct size.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Last Chance posted:

I just put a 9.7 cover on a 10.5 ipad (which has the same general dimensions as the 10.2, just with smaller bezels) and this is what you get:

it's not great. and the smart cover doesn't lock/unlock the device when you open/close it for some reason. I'd just go with the correct size.

yeah just reading the dimensions is enough to know it'll be off by like 0.4 inches around. i bet the lock/unlock doesn't work right because the magnets are in different spots.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is there any way in iPad OS, or an app, to show more details about the WLan connection? My new router supports WPA3 and I want to see whether it's getting used or not. The connection details in iPad OS don't appear to show negotiation details.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Last Chance posted:

Very helpful. Thank you.

Shame, the 9.7 iPad smart cover in yellow is an amazing pair to a silver iPad.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

They're prescription jorts for my poor circulation!

McGurk fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 22, 2020

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

So my iPad Pro 11 from last year is bent, and not from physical damage - according to this https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209403 the acceptable tolerance is .4mm and mine is bent 3x this much.

I'm having no luck getting the warranty sorted out, has anyone had success with this particular issue before ?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I just got an iPad professional (the newer 11 inch) and I'm trying to figure out how to set up a good workflow for syncing media to it.

Here's the situation: I bought this for a bunch of reasons, one of those is to read books and comics, etc. I have an NAS on my network which stores the books and comics.

The comics are just cbr/cbz files organized in folders.

The books are managed by Calibre, but Calibre just stores them organized in folders. I don't particularly need the Calibre part of it, it's just a convenient way of managing them on OSX.

I've tried Chunky comics reader and that seems to work pretty well. I can download comics straight from my NAS and read them, and I'm sure there's something like Resilio Sync that I could do to just automatically sync all my comics to my iPad and have them all ready to read.

For the books situation I'm not sure. I think I can navigate to the NAS folder for books through the Files app, but the way Calibre laid them out on disk is really annoying to navigate (it's structured by authors and has subfolders you have to dig through).
I tried the Calibre Companion app but it seems kind of bad and finicky. I've had some success with opening a book on OSX through calibre (for PDFs it just opens it in preview) then using airdrop to send it to my iPad, but this also requires me to always start this process off with my laptop.

I guess what I'm looking for is just something like, use Resilio Sync to sync my whole books folder from my NAS to my iPad, and then having them show up automatically in whatever app for reading books on my iPad.
The resilio sync part is super easy but I'm not really sure what to do about the books reading part on the iPad, it didn't seem like the default Books app lets you add custom library locations (maybe it does?). I'm not married to the Books app so if there's something else out there that makes it easier I'd be fine with that.

So, what should I look at for doing something like that? i.e. a books app for the iPad that can read from a custom location and doesn't require manual syncing through Finder or whatever?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

not quite what you want but if you figure out another synced service, whether that's with the files app or something like dropbox or whatever, you can always open that app and open the file in books. it's a slight extra step but since it's only for opening the book the first time i personally don't see it as much of an issue.

the built-in books app is pretty good, imo, but it's best if you use multiple ios/macos devices, which do great at swapping places / book libraries. otherwise there are probably 3rd party apps that do about as well.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

piratepilates posted:

I just got an iPad professional (the newer 11 inch) and I'm trying to figure out how to set up a good workflow for syncing media to it.

Here's the situation: I bought this for a bunch of reasons, one of those is to read books and comics, etc. I have an NAS on my network which stores the books and comics.

The comics are just cbr/cbz files organized in folders.

The books are managed by Calibre, but Calibre just stores them organized in folders. I don't particularly need the Calibre part of it, it's just a convenient way of managing them on OSX.

I've tried Chunky comics reader and that seems to work pretty well. I can download comics straight from my NAS and read them, and I'm sure there's something like Resilio Sync that I could do to just automatically sync all my comics to my iPad and have them all ready to read.

For the books situation I'm not sure. I think I can navigate to the NAS folder for books through the Files app, but the way Calibre laid them out on disk is really annoying to navigate (it's structured by authors and has subfolders you have to dig through).
I tried the Calibre Companion app but it seems kind of bad and finicky. I've had some success with opening a book on OSX through calibre (for PDFs it just opens it in preview) then using airdrop to send it to my iPad, but this also requires me to always start this process off with my laptop.

I guess what I'm looking for is just something like, use Resilio Sync to sync my whole books folder from my NAS to my iPad, and then having them show up automatically in whatever app for reading books on my iPad.
The resilio sync part is super easy but I'm not really sure what to do about the books reading part on the iPad, it didn't seem like the default Books app lets you add custom library locations (maybe it does?). I'm not married to the Books app so if there's something else out there that makes it easier I'd be fine with that.

So, what should I look at for doing something like that? i.e. a books app for the iPad that can read from a custom location and doesn't require manual syncing through Finder or whatever?

I actually thought Chunky had that built in. Keep the oldest 6 issues of X that I haven't read synced and it'd auto sync it when needed... Maybe it was https://apps.apple.com/us/app/yacreader-comic-reader/id635717885 ? I swear that I had that going.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

piratepilates posted:

Just throwing out that I really recommend Panels for comics. I tried them all a while ago and that's the one I stuck with. The dev team are super responsive to suggestions and they just released a big 2.0 library overhaul. It's nice.

It has a bunch of options for pulling in from servers but I just use a Dropbox folder.

Free to download and try out too.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I used to like ComicZeal the best but the developer fell off a cliff or something. I’ve been using chunky and think it’s okay, maybe I’ll give Panels a try too

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

hatty posted:

I used to like ComicZeal the best but the developer fell off a cliff or something. I’ve been using chunky and think it’s okay, maybe I’ll give Panels a try too

I’ve used Chunky forever. The author has not implemented SMB v2+ support, so you can’t connect to SMB shares any more. Chunky FTP also fails with Windows’ IIS FTP server. I installed Ubooquity and got that working with OPDS, and I assume you could use Calibre in a similar fashion.

I tried to like Panels but it didn’t have great options for getting comics into it aside from drag and drop from Files.app, or something.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there any way in iPad OS, or an app, to show more details about the WLan connection? My new router supports WPA3 and I want to see whether it's getting used or not. The connection details in iPad OS don't appear to show negotiation details.

http://www.my80211.com/home/2019/10/5/ios-13-and-ipados-wi-fi-diagnostics.html

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Neat, thanks. Too bad for the hoops to get this. Apparently the profile expires every 31 days, too. :[

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Panels.app can’t do side by side pages how pointless. They’ve been promising it for two years now, I wonder if it’s harder to implement than I think.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Curious to see whether this is prevalent — does anyone who uses YouTube on their iPad extensively find that sometimes the maximize button doesn’t work on videos when you tap it?

I would say that my iPad Pro is probably 90% YouTube and very often I smack the maximize button on videos only to have nothing happen. This usually goes away once I take some other action with the video, such as minimizing it to the corner of the screen, at which point the maximize button becomes responsive again.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Curious to see whether this is prevalent — does anyone who uses YouTube on their iPad extensively find that sometimes the maximize button doesn’t work on videos when you tap it?

I would say that my iPad Pro is probably 90% YouTube and very often I smack the maximize button on videos only to have nothing happen. This usually goes away once I take some other action with the video, such as minimizing it to the corner of the screen, at which point the maximize button becomes responsive again.

God drat yes! Every loving time on my iPad Pro.

Don't get me started on the app and how lovely it is but yes that is frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh ok I guess I should start filing bug reports then. At least if it’s not just me then it’s likely easily reproducible on a Pro at least. I give YouTube money every month, the least they could do is give me an app that works consistently.

E: I mean, consistently WELL.