Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Jesus Christ.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1284893224201584641?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

holky gently caress jesus that's bonkers

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Quoting this since I didn't want it to get lost on a new page.

Looks like Amanda Conner is doing a Vampirella book for Dynamite that was announced that same day.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Larry Doherty/Larry's Comics seems to be on the map solely because he says stupid/inflammatory poo poo on social media to get attention. It seems to happen every few months or so, like clockwork. Sometimes it's tasteless/racist/sexist/homophobic 'jokes', sometimes it's weird "I'm not saying I voted for Trump but comics are for everyone and I for one welcome every Trump voter in to buy good ol' fashioned comics!", sometimes it's hyping up Comicsgate/EVS because they care about the industry more than Marvel or DC. One time it was just repeatedly calling Mark Waid a oval office.

He is the least surprising person in the world to be worried about boycotts for being shitheads, except he's a small store in western Massachusetts and I don't know who was patronizing him to begin with.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Apparently there's speculation that he may not even have a store, or once did but now does not and pretends to

https://twitter.com/andykhouri/status/1284928629307129856?s=19

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Dynamite seems to be in damage control mode.
https://twitter.com/DynamiteComics/status/1284949046889775112?s=19

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1284961179987828736?s=19

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The comments to those gave me a lot of accounts that I should block.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

site posted:

Apparently there's speculation that he may not even have a store, or once did but now does not and pretends to

Larry used to be the biggest comics retailer in Lowell, then he sold (or lost) his store on Lakeview Ave sometime around 2016. He moved over to a place in Chelmsford and it was probably the worst move he could have made. His old shop got tons of UML/foot traffic, the "new" shop was in the middle of nowhere in Chelmsford and his business went to nothing. I know most of the subscribers bailed on him at that time and started going to different stores. He was kicked out of the Chelmsford building a year later and and was reduced to selling new comics out of the Radisson near UMass Lowell. Now, I don't even know where he's selling or who buys from him.

Years before CG I would occasionally drop by for something I couldn't get at Harrison's, and the Free Comic Book day events were always pretty good for families, but that was almost a decade ago. Larry seemed like an affable guy in person but CG really broke him, he just ripped off the mask I guess.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 19, 2020

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
The damage is done Dynamite and you'll surely show your rear end again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

Larry used to be the biggest comics retailer in Lowell, then he sold (or lost) his store on Lakeview Ave sometime around 2016. He moved over to a place in Chelmsford and it was probably the worst move he could have made. His old shop got tons of UML/foot traffic, the "new" shop was in the middle of nowhere in Chelmsford and his business went to nothing. I know most of the subscribers bailed on him at that time and started going to different stores. He was kicked out of the Chelmsford building a year later and and was reduced to selling new comics out of the Radisson near UMass Lowell. Now, I don't even know where he's selling or who buys from him.

Years before CG I would occasionally drop by for something I couldn't get at Harrison's, and the Free Comic Book day events were always pretty good for families, but that was almost a decade ago. Larry seemed like an affable guy in person but CG really broke him, he just ripped off the mask I guess.

I've discovered that for many people it's very easy to keep the mask on when you don't have any pressure to not. It's the moment that they actually are pushed to show if the mask is real or fake that it collapses.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

E the Shaggy posted:

The damage is done Dynamite and you'll surely show your rear end again.

Yeah how soon til Nick is on another one of their livestreams complaining about getting cancelled by the sjw brigade

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Lol

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1285014373514305536?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Dynamite situation is getting some more mainstream coverage.

https://screenrant.com/dynamite-mark-russell-gail-simone-comicsgate-backlash/amp/

AIPT Comics and Xavier Files (both I think are relatively small, but growing news/review sites) are saying they will no longer cover Dynamite releases, bunch of twitter quotes from writers and artists who've worked with Dynamite in the past saying they no longer will.

I don't think pulling a single cover is going to do it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'd like to think this is peak EVS but I feel we haven't hit that yet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Elvira artist.

https://twitter.com/davedrawsgood/status/1285005118799306757?s=20

Someone should reach out to Cassandra Peterson, Elvira has been in comic books since the 80s and she's done a ton of conventions over the years so she probably knows a decent number of comic book people.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Ah, poo poo, I forgot that Elvira series was Dynamite. I was really looking forward to picking that up. I dunno, it seems like a terrible idea for a company based so heavily on licences to go in on loving CG, especially this late in the game when it's become quite clearly and obviously toxic and basically everyone else realises that it's a bad loving look to be associated with them.

I'm curious about those licenses though, is there generally a way for the owners to drop a company that's suddenly decided to take a poo poo on their reputation? Like, I know that a lot of places have a "if you make us look bad we can drop you like a hot rock" clause in their contracts, but does that tend to hold at these levels, or do the license holders just have to hold their nose and wait for the contract to run out?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's probably on a per-license basis? Maybe they can pull the agreement completely, maybe they can just pull the creative team, etc.

Didn't Sega just toss Penders but let the contract run out under other leadership, for example?

But yeah, this is a pretty big ball of inertia Dynamite has picked up CG is pitchforking and everyone else is just keeping clear of the mess as much as they can.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FilthyImp posted:

It's probably on a per-license basis? Maybe they can pull the agreement completely, maybe they can just pull the creative team, etc.

Didn't Sega just toss Penders but let the contract run out under other leadership, for example?

But yeah, this is a pretty big ball of inertia Dynamite has picked up CG is pitchforking and everyone else is just keeping clear of the mess as much as they can.

Sega didn't fire anyone. Penders quit. Sega basically didn't give a gently caress what Archie did until after he was gone (at which point they started adding a lot of weird mandates but that's neither here nor there)

Anyway it's possible they don't have any control over this.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 20, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

catlord posted:

Ah, poo poo, I forgot that Elvira series was Dynamite. I was really looking forward to picking that up. I dunno, it seems like a terrible idea for a company based so heavily on licences to go in on loving CG, especially this late in the game when it's become quite clearly and obviously toxic and basically everyone else realises that it's a bad loving look to be associated with them.

It's more likely that Dynamite have always been at least tangentially associated with CG and it's only coming to light now. And we're seeing from EVS why someone might double down - straights will drop them for being sympathisers, but CG will drop them for only being sympathisers. If Dynamite feel like the community at large isn't going to come back short of resignations at the top, then they've got to go fash or go home.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What was the cover that kicked this all off?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

What was the cover that kicked this all off?

A CG chud's self-insert with Vampirella and Red Sonja. The only place I've seen it is on One Angry Gamer's Twitter feed (who claimed the problem was it was 'sexy') but I'm not going to link to them.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

A CG chud's self-insert with Vampirella and Red Sonja. The only place I've seen it is on One Angry Gamer's Twitter feed (who claimed the problem was it was 'sexy') but I'm not going to link to them.

Is that the dude with the traitors list? That still makes me laugh.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

bessantj posted:

Is that the dude with the traitors list? That still makes me laugh.

Mr Angry Gamer sobs as he adds Dynamite Comics to his list of traitors.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

JordanKai posted:

Mr Angry Gamer sobs as he adds Dynamite Comics to his list of traitors.

I've just seen the cover and can't believe people are going to bat for it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

If people boycotted Dynamite every time there was a sexy Vampirella or Red Sonya cover they wouldn't exist.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Like everyone of his friends he eventually turns into his enemies (aka all of them), EVS reveals that Dynamite was doing everything behind the scenes for RoboToad:

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1285304577047363584?s=20

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1285319513391669249

The OP eventually admits she doesn't know who 2/3rd of the people on the CG side are.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Anora posted:

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1285319513391669249

The OP eventually admits she doesn't know who 2/3rd of the people on the CG side are.

https://twitter.com/Misantropiado/status/1285334788421955585

Also 'bad things but no evidence of a harassment campaign.'

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Ethan is throwing Dynamite under the bus as hard as he can. Cast open the popcorn floodgates, because this could have hilarious consequences.

quote:

Van Sciver said Barucci was consistently involved in his work from creator to self-publisher, saying "Nick taught me everything I know so far about publishing," and credited Dynamite with helped him create his Comicsgate project's playing cards.
Dynamite Comics CEO Allegedly Worked With Comicsgate in Secret

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Everything Nick Baruci knows about publishing, except how to actually publish a complete book.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Squidster posted:

Ethan is throwing Dynamite under the bus as hard as he can. Cast open the popcorn floodgates, because this could have hilarious consequences.
Lol EVS just killed Dynamite publishing.

Even if they clean house, the brand is tainted.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
EVS was just confirmed to be a Verified User(!) of KiwiFarms(!!!) too.

https://twitter.com/kwanzer/status/1285333322672025600?s=20

CaligulaKangaroo fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 21, 2020

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In going through that I learned there's a CG site called "Bleeding Fool" and it's not just that person making fun of BC.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Endless Mike posted:

In going through that I learned there's a CG site called "Bleeding Fool" and it's not just that person making fun of BC.

Oh! I was confused because BC (for all its problems) didn't strike me as particularly pro-CG. (though didn't they have a CG writer for a hot minute or was that something else?)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Uthor posted:

Oh! I was confused because BC (for all its problems) didn't strike me as particularly pro-CG. (though didn't they have a CG writer for a hot minute or was that something else?)

Don't give BC a pass on ComicsGate. Johnston loves to pull centrist BS regarding them. Whatever gets the clicks.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

EVS was just confirmed to a Verified User(!) of KiwiFarms(!!!) too.

https://twitter.com/kwanzer/status/1285333322672025600?s=20

Evs posts on kf a lot, or at least he used to. Amusingly even a bunch of their cg supporting posters were constantly making fun of him for being late on product and what he did have was crap. Don't know if he still posts there tho, I haven't checked there in a while

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
KF locked down profile viewing for non-registered people again in the past 24 hours, but EVS was posting there as recently as yesterday afternoon, and when I looked at his post history yesterday it looked like he was posting several times a day for the past several months.

I didn't realize that him posting on KF was any sort of secret, multiple people were discussing in this very thread going back to late 2019.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Don't give BC a pass on ComicsGate. Johnston loves to pull centrist BS regarding them. Whatever gets the clicks.

Johnson is his own particular brand of scumminess, not at the level of the abusers or CGers AFAIK but it still feels odd to see him eating out on the controversy.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
"Are ya winning, son?"

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1285976019132919815?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lol can't imagine why vita wouldn't want to do the bond panel