Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Elviscat posted:

I also got shot with an airsoft or BB gun.

one more reason to ATGATT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I also got shot with an airsoft or BB gun.

As in a random person took a potshot at you while you were riding?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

MomJeans420 posted:

As in a random person took a potshot at you while you were riding?

Yup, it was near a private dirtbike club near the public park, my theory is neighbors don't like the noise.

FBS posted:

one more reason to ATGATT

Scary thing is my goggles were in the back of my helmet because they were full of sweat mixed with dust, and useless. If I was wearing a roost guard I wouldn't have even noticed.

It was weird, thought I had been burned, but I was riding side-by-side with my buddy, due to dust, and he has a spark arrestor, then I thought it was a bee, got back to the truck and I have a small hemispherical divot in my chest, the exact size of a bb/airsoft round, hurts like a motherfucker, but my foot hurts way worse.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Finally got to reassembling the GL1100A calipers. The mounting slider boots are a huge bitch; I tore one last night. Tonight I made another attempt and I think the caliper must have been dropped because I noticed the slider housing has a subtle dent. Inserting the slider from the dented side made it work. Now I just have to wait for the new rubber boot to arrive, and for the DMV to get off their asses and cash my check.

I can't wait to get this done, and find out the rear caliper is just as hosed as the fronts.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Go my "you don't have covid" phone call, so I went and got the threadlocker I wanted and installed footpeg lowering plates on the DR650, which it turned out also meant taking the bash plate off and putting it back on. Removed the upper chain roller and filled the hole with a bolt. Replaced the fuel breather hose that keeps falling off with a short one that has a valve on the end.

It wouldn't start again, so I jumped it and rode it for half an hour (footpegs are way more comfy), but it wouldn't start again when I got back, so I drove and got a new battery.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

MomJeans420 posted:

I have a feeling I should start spraying everything I'm going to work on with aerokroil a day before I plan on doing anything.

Starting to think the "check all fasteners" line item in the maintenance schedule is less about catching things that are about to fall off and more about stopping random bolts from seizing.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Go my "you don't have covid" phone call, so I went and got the threadlocker I wanted and installed footpeg lowering plates on the DR650, which it turned out also meant taking the bash plate off and putting it back on. Removed the upper chain roller and filled the hole with a bolt. Replaced the fuel breather hose that keeps falling off with a short one that has a valve on the end.

It wouldn't start again, so I jumped it and rode it for half an hour (footpegs are way more comfy), but it wouldn't start again when I got back, so I drove and got a new battery.

Did you get a battery maintainer/charger and the connector lead to hang off the battery so you don't need to open up the bike to keep the battery maintained on a day to day basis?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Starting to think the "check all fasteners" line item in the maintenance schedule is less about catching things that are about to fall off and more about stopping random bolts from seizing.

It's certainly making me think I should be doing that more often on my non-project bike. Now I have to figure out the easiest way to get the bolt off, I'm thinking of just cutting the brake line since it's being replaced anyway, and then use a dremel on the workbench to get it off. I'll try my bolt extractor sockets first I guess since that's easier, but it looks like the bolt has decided to fuse itself to the caliper.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
The BB gun thing is :catstare:

I swapped out the turn signal relay for one that blinks with lower wattage bulbs. Unfortunately it also makes a beep noise when the signals are activated, it's loud in my garage. I'm gonna take it out and see if it bothers me on the road. If so, I think I can take the relay apart and pull out the noisemaker.

I also removed the Ram X-mount I was using and am going to return it. The vibrations killed my phone's camera after one ride. Going to switch to a Bluetooth speaker for turn by turn nav.

Now I'm working on getting the bolts loose to pull out the PO's Kouba lowering links and reinstall stock ones. Top one came out easily, bottom one is both tighter and a bit harder to get a good angle on.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Hear me out: Elviscat gets a motorcycle airbag vest and glues thousands of bbs to it, then goes back on that same ride by himself with no other riders. Mount a trigger for the vest on the handlebars, then next time he gets hit he triggers the vest and sprays bbs in all directions. It can't go wrong

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Tyro posted:

I swapped out the turn signal relay for one that blinks with lower wattage bulbs. Unfortunately it also makes a beep noise when the signals are activated, it's loud in my garage. I'm gonna take it out and see if it bothers me on the road. If so, I think I can take the relay apart and pull out the noisemaker.

I also removed the Ram X-mount I was using and am going to return it. The vibrations killed my phone's camera after one ride.

Can you not just buy a normal $7 led signal relay to plug in there? I've never heard of one that beeps. Is it like some "open door warning" that some old cars had?

Also, I've been saying for years that ram x mounts murder phones and nobody believes me lol Mine is still in a bag unused after it did that.

Phone in a pocket sending directions to the sena is best. Tank bag with the phone in a clear pocket is probably better.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Coydog posted:

Tank bag with the phone in a clear pocket is probably better.

That works really well, but I used a battery pack charger with a USB cable running from the main part of the bag to the clear pocket to charge as I was riding. The problem is the cable plugs into the bottom of the phone, while the opening is at the top of the clear pocket, and that put upwards pressure on the phone. I made it around 70 miles until all of a sudden I felt something hit my leg and realized my fairly new Pixel 2 had just fallen onto the 405 at rush hour.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

Hear me out: Elviscat gets a motorcycle airbag vest and glues thousands of bbs to it, then goes back on that same ride by himself with no other riders. Mount a trigger for the vest on the handlebars, then next time he gets hit he triggers the vest and sprays bbs in all directions. It can't go wrong

turning myself into a claymore to own da libs

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Coydog posted:

Can you not just buy a normal $7 led signal relay to plug in there? I've never heard of one that beeps. Is it like some "open door warning" that some old cars had?

Also, I've been saying for years that ram x mounts murder phones and nobody believes me lol Mine is still in a bag unused after it did that.

Phone in a pocket sending directions to the sena is best. Tank bag with the phone in a clear pocket is probably better.

Yeah that was what it was sold as, didn't realize it had the tone. It's kind of like that yeah, just a loud beep. It was like $10 shipped so if it doesn't work I'll just be mildly annoyed.

Never had a problem with the ram mounts on prior bikes. #thumperlyfe but Amazon is taking it as a return and my phone insurance is replacing the phone for my deductible, which I'm fine with since I had a cracked screen anyways.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

New battery's in. Bike doesn't start.

Found my multimeter, battery's reading 11.5v, I hit the starter, it immediately drops to about 4v, turns over a couple of times, doesn't start. Goes back up to 11.5, but if I try cranking it again it just clicks instead of turning over and the voltage drops down to 4-5v.

What's my next step here?

e: Lol this battery's hosed, isn't it?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 22, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
did you charge the battery after you bought it?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I don't have a charger, I was going to order one tonight. I bought the battery from a bike dealer who said it was charged and ready to go.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
It definitely wasn't charged and ready to go. Should read around 12.5v at rest

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Right, yeah.

Is the dropping down to 4-5v while cranking an indication that something's bad apart from "not charged"?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Right, yeah.

Is the dropping down to 4-5v while cranking an indication that something's bad apart from "not charged"?

If it was you'd need a charged battery to figure out what it was. :rimshot:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Right, yeah.

Unless something's gone very wrong with the cables or starter, that battery is no good.

Is it a sealed agm, or a normal lead acid that someone has to fill with electrolyte before it can be used? If it's the latter then they hosed up and didn't charge or fill it properly. If it's the former check the date code, it might have been sitting on the shelf for years.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Sealed AGM. I took it back to the place, explained what happened, he said "yeah, sounds like it's bad, if you're local I'll charge and test it and see what's up", I said I'm an hour's drive away, he gave me a new battery, I said thanks and bought a charger/tender thing.

New battery read 12.7v Bike started, but it seems like it had trouble turning over. Rode it for an hour, got home and it still started, but still feeling like it's having trouble turning. Like a big chug, quick pause, then it catches.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Does it have a CCA rating on it anywhere? What brand is it? A DR650 engine isn't particularly difficult to turn over but it could just be a really weaksauce battery that happens to have the right dimensions.

There's also the outside chance that the repeated failed starting attempts have damaged the starter relay or starter winding itself.

Did it ever start ok after you open'd 'er up? Loose clearances can also give the same issues, as anyone who's ever owned a KTM RFS can attest to.

Realistically a spanking new charged up battery should have 13v or more, 12.7 is like 65% charged fwiw.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Battery's "US Powersports" branded, box says "CCA: 135A".

e: Actually, I can't remember if it was starting ok after I did the valves. I thought it was but I'm not sure now. I'm gonna have another go at that tomorrow, I bought a set of angled feelers today while I was out anyway.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 22, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Brand = bad IMO, but the CCA rating is more than adequate. I think if they had one ancient half flat battery sitting on the shelf then it's quite likely they had two or ten. If you've got a repco or supercheap nearby they do battery load testing for free which would solve your mystery one way or another.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
imo stop wasting time, just buy a 20 dollar tender and leave it hooked up for a few hours. cranking your bike on a weak battery is a waste of time, hard on the system and one some bikes (probably not a dr) will just rip up the starter clutch

i've never bought a battery that i didn't have to charge up fully

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you really can’t wait, jump it with a car

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Buy a good Yuasa battery.

Charge it fully before use.

Use it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Put it on the charger last night after taking the other plugs off the battery and putting on the one that came with the charger. After 3 hours it read 13.2v, and the bike still started hard.

Left it on charge overnight, still read 13.2v this morning.

So I had another look at the valves with my new narrower feelers, found the exhaust were correct but the intake were way loose, so I fixed that.

Then the bike started easy, and read 13.2v after 45 mins ride.

I'll keep an eye on the battery and buy a better one if there's any more fuckery.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got the clutch wrapped up on the DR350SE. I was just waiting on the new clutch cover gasket which for some reason took a week to arrive from Wisconsin.

Got it adjusted pretty well on the second try, after adjusting it fully the wrong way.

Then I realized my garage is getting out of hand.
This is just my attached garage - there’s the DR, Duke, KLX, Z125, and the MadAss. There are two other mopeds, a motorized bicycle, a go kart and a quad in the detached one. My son is working on the Honda Express - new tires are coming tomorrow and he just put a new carby on it.

He’s also working on assembling an Urban Express which is in the other garage and has been disassembled for years; this just arrived today for it

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 23, 2020

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Got the clutch wrapped up on the DR350SE. I was just waiting on the new clutch cover gasket which for some reason took a week to arrive from Wisconsin.

Got it adjusted pretty well on the second try, after adjusting it fully the wrong way.

Hell yeah dude.

Re: my dr350, I just removed the Kouba lowering links off mine and replaced them with ebay stock ones. The bike leans over SO MUCH MORE on the side stand now. And I already have a buyer lined up for the lowering links for $30 more than I paid for the stock bits...

Also replaced the PO's lovely, unknown age, too small, auto parts store battery with a lithium unit.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Tyro posted:

Hell yeah dude.

Re: my dr350, I just removed the Kouba lowering links off mine and replaced them with ebay stock ones. The bike leans over SO MUCH MORE on the side stand now. And I already have a buyer lined up for the lowering links for $30 more than I paid for the stock bits...

Also replaced the PO's lovely, unknown age, too small, auto parts store battery with a lithium unit.

I don’t know why you’d want to lower a DR? The height and soft rolling suspension is half the fun. I suppose if you are a tiny person maybe, but you could always ride a smaller bike?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

I don’t know why you’d want to lower a DR? The height and soft rolling suspension is half the fun. I suppose if you are a tiny person maybe, but you could always ride a smaller bike?

Yeah I agree. The previous owner was shorter than me but not what i would call short (5'8") so I'm not sure why he felt the need. I'm gonna need to see if I need to adjust the forks in the tree or not.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Then I realized my garage is getting out of hand.

Not seeing a problem here?
:shrug:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:swoon:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Steakandchips posted:

Not seeing a problem here?
:shrug:

I neglected to mention the 4-wheeled occupants as well.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got the ‘83 Honda Express running with the boy today. eBay carburetor and unclogging the exhaust were the keys. Also had to modify the throttle cable tube a little due to the eBay carb having a different length tube than stock. It’s hilarious to have this thing shift gears at 12mph

https://youtu.be/p6FLzxi7O6g

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 25, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

2-speed Honda Express's own.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hondas Express

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005