Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i wonder if weebs get tokyo syndrome? just melting down in the middle of shibuya crossing because nobody gives two shits about them and that they have a ceramic, not plastic, bento box.

according to my friend the weebs he sees over there just gradually get depressed and eventually leave. they perv at women, mistaking the forced politeness for flirting, and put on loads of weight because they eat deep fried junk food for every meal.

they also scream racism every time some 80 year old man who doesn't speak a word of english won't let them into his tiny suburban bathhouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

is there something in japanese pop culture that has created this unusually resonant vision of paris as a magical "city of lights, city of love" that doesnt exist in most other countries?

not sure if there's any greater incidence of that in their media than there is anywhere else in the world (hell we have it here in the uk when paris is a train ride away and we all hate the french anyway), i think it's just that like sagebrush says the cultural wrench is just that much stronger for them.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the venice sewer system is legit gross

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i would propose that most sewer systems worldwide are in fact legit gross.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sagebrush posted:

i would propose that most sewer systems worldwide are in fact legit gross.

most cities don't use it as a regular means of conveyance though

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Japan has had a weird romance with France since the Meiji restoration. A lot of Japan's modernization centered around dealings with the French. They really internalized the idea of France as a centre of culture in the West. Hell, Anime and manga literally comes out to the French BD tradition. Essentially Japanese people going to Paris are just their version of American weebs going to Tokyo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tokyo tower is a slightly larger copy of the eiffel tower.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
japan consciously modeled its late 1800s modernization on what they viewed as the best aspects of different western countries. so they modeled their navy after britain, their army after france, their constitution after germany, their financial system after the us, etc

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i wonder if weebs get tokyo syndrome? just melting down in the middle of shibuya crossing because nobody gives two shits about them and that they have a ceramic, not plastic, bento box.

as a self-described weeb who somewhat recently went on vacation to Japan, Tokyo loving owned and frankly exceeded my expectations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

The real weird Japanese cultural obsession is Anne of Green Gables. So popular it had theme park called Canadian Land dedicated to it in the 90's. The claimed reason is some heartwarming story of a missonary and a gift of a book, but the actual reason is that it was one of the books chosen for schooling by the Allies in occupied Japan post WWII.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The PBS Anne of Green Gableses were legit good. I think they might have done remakes as well but I haven’t seen them?

:shrug:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

The PBS Anne of Green Gableses were legit good. I think they might have done remakes as well but I haven’t seen them?

:shrug:

Netflix and the CBC just finished doing a tv show. Turns out the premise can last about 3 seasons before it gets sort of tiresome.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Little Death posted:

Netflix and the CBC just finished doing a tv show. Turns out the premise can last about 3 seasons before it gets sort of tiresome.

I've been here 9 years and my gimmick is just as well-regarded as ever, though?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Little Death posted:

my dad bought some props from the show at an auction late last year lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

I've been here 9 years and my gimmick is just as well-regarded as ever, though?

brutal self-own. absolutely savage.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida clarified comments made during the submission process, specifically that "[forced to work under harsh conditions] by the Japanese government representative did not mean forced labor".

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

:capitalism:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The wreck site is nicknamed "The Everest of Wreck Diving" because of the number of deaths exploring the site.[44]

1956: William Edgerton, 23, part of an effort to photograph the recently sunk Andrea Doria, died shortly after one of the valves on his breathing apparatus became partially closed.[45]
1981: John Barnett drowned while diving on Andrea Doria.[46]
1984: Frank Kennedy surfaced unconscious after a dive on Andrea Doria and died on board RV Wahoo before help arrived.[46]
1985: John Ormsby drowned after being caught in wires.[47][48]
1988: Joe Drozd died during a dive on Andrea Doria.[46]
1992: Matthew Lawrence and Mike Scofield drowned while diving on Andrea Doria.[46]
1993: Robert Santuli died while diving on Andrea Doria.[46]
1998: Craig Sicola, Richard Roost, and Vincent Napoliello all died diving on Andrea Doria.[47]
1999: Christopher Murley and Charles J. McGurr both died of apparent heart attacks preparing for a second dive.[47][49]
2002: William Schmoldt died from decompression sickness.[50]
2006: Researcher David Bright died from decompression sickness.[51]
2008: Terry DeWolf of Houston, Texas, died during a dive on the wreck site; the cause of death was not determined.[52]
2011: Michael LaPrade of Los Angeles died during a dive on the wreck.[53]
2015: Tom Pritchard, 64, is presumed dead after diving on the wreck.[54]
2017: Steven Slater, 46 of Gateshead, England was pulled from the water unconscious and could not be revived.[55][56]

lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the dark souls of shipwrecks

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
Tatum was set to star as X-Men character Remy LeBeau / Gambit in a solo film, set within the X-Men film universe, which he would have produced,[34][35][36] but the film was cancelled in May 2019 after languishing in development hell since 2014.[37]

i would have enthusiastically watched this btw

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Modern Japanese terms for LGBT people include dōseiaisha (同性愛者, literally "same-sex-love person"), gei (ゲイ, "gay"), homosekusharu (ホモセクシャル, "homosexual"), rezubian (レズビアン, "lesbian"), baisekushuaru (バイセクシュアル, "bisexual") and toransujendā (トランスジェンダー, "transgender").[14]

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Modern Japanese terms for LGBT people include dōseiaisha (同性愛者, literally "same-sex-love person"), gei (ゲイ, "gay"), homosekusharu (ホモセクシャル, "homosexual"), rezubian (レズビアン, "lesbian"), baisekushuaru (バイセクシュアル, "bisexual") and toransujendā (トランスジェンダー, "transgender").[14]

im looking for a bento box, it can't be gei (that's japanese for gay) or any girl color. it has to be of 2 rezubian (that's Japanese for 2 compartments) and it has to be baisekushuaru (small) sized.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

The character Ben Nicholson, played by Paul Lambert (actor) misquotes the poem in the episode "The Case of the Envious Editor" of the CBS television series Perry Mason (1957–66) starring Raymond Burr.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/mistydemeo/status/1286165168271970304?s=19

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
everything in this article

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the people very concerned about the historical accuracy of a racist dog name are the exact same people who are currently very concerned about preserving statues of people they had never heard of three months ago.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Despite its name, it is not a direct sequel to Dracula 2000.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

By the standards of the 3DO, the game sold well according to Naughty Dog, outdoing the 3DO port of SNK's Samurai Shodown.

"by the standards of the 3DO" is a hell of a big qualifier

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Alexander (Smbat) Abian (January 1, 1923 – July 24, 1999)[1] was an American mathematician who taught for over 25 years at Iowa State University and became notable for his frequent posts to various Usenet newsgroups, and his advocacy for the destruction of the moon.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Like humans, llama males and females mature sexually at different rates

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Treatment
Sunscreen, head coverings to protect from sun and cold[2]

alopecia

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

"WHAT LAY?" ur wife, shortly after.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

#blessed

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Oh has cited The Beatles and The Whitest Boy Alive as major influences in the band's musical style.[14]

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

human milk is 11 times more umami than cow milk.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Is it like the Scoville scale where it's tested by judges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

human milk is 11 times more umami than cow milk.

I love a good plausibly deniable pun.