Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

2020 has been one long summer rpg season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Tell me about it. I've been grinding in my home or months now!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

COVID makes it ideal too.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

katkillad2 posted:

I don't understand why it's so hard to make a good arcade style wrestling game rather than the simulation stuff they seem to be focused on. WWF Wrestlefest is probably my all time favorite wrestling game.

My high school had that game in the lunch room. One of my favorites.

Port the X-Men arcade brawler, you cowards!

If the 360 could get it...

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

AlphaKeny1 posted:

You probably stopped around the Nopon Village because the quests get pretty annoying and finding the Nopons is also annoying, compared to Guar plains. But the definitive edition makes questing a whole lot better.

That... sounds like it might be accurate, yeah. And what did they change about the sidequest system? I don't remember it being awful or anything, but I'm unusual in that I like playing games that don't have waypoint cursors on the in-game interface telling you directly where to go. I loved BotW because it let you turn that stuff off and explore more organically, and I remember someone saying that the people who worked on the map for Zelda also worked on XBC, which I don't find surprising.

Harlock posted:

I played through TMS earlier this year and it was just alright. I enjoyed my time with it, but I also wouldn't run out telling other people to play it. Mixing SMT and Fire Emblem with idol culture results in a kind of tonal whiplash that comes off as more cute and wholesome than anything. I.e. the power of love and friendship will save the day. I enjoyed the characters and their friendships together.

I dont know which one I'd reccomend over the other as I've never been a Xenoblade liker, but just know that TMS is ultimately kind of 'fine,' but nothing mindblowing.

Good to know, I guess I'll wait until it goes on sale or pick it up if I can find a used copy then.

The Silver Snail posted:

No I meant like games where you can augment your Bermuda shorts with stat gems, and go on a beach quest.

https://i.imgur.com/btMdX2m.gifv

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Port the X-Men arcade brawler, you cowards!

If the 360 could get it...

PS3 had it too but they got yanked for licensing.

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013
Up until persona 5, every persona/smt games holy/dark magic spells were inaccurate insta-kills, like horn drill in Pokémon.

Trash mobs can and will target your main character in nocturne with these spells and it’s game over if he gets knocked out. It’s the best jrpg ever but save often.

Digital Devil Saga next please

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Give me The Simpsons arcade or go to hell

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RandomFerret posted:

Give me The Simpsons arcade or go to hell
There's like 50 licensed beat them up arcade games from the '90s it will probably only be accessible by emulation ever again.

Edit: regarding SMT3, it's intriguing to me that easy mode will be a free DLC rather than just included in the game like normal. Is it because of a subset of SMT players that think that having it in their game at all dirties them?

(I've never finished SMT3 and I would totally use that and just get through it finally)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's like 50 licensed beat them up arcade games from the '90s it will probably only be accessible by emulation ever again.

Edit: regarding SMT3, it's intriguing to me that easy mode will be a free DLC rather than just included in the game like normal. Is it because of a subset of SMT players that think that having it in their game at all dirties them?

(I've never finished SMT3 and I would totally use that and just get through it finally)

As I described above, SMT is sort of "The Dark Souls of JRPGs". Struggling against bosses and dungeons and overcoming them is a big part of the experience since the series began. It's not Dark Souls tier where many (if not most) players will say it outright ruins the experience), but it's still there.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Samurai Sanders posted:

There is definitely a subset of the MegaTen community that holds Nocturne up as the Holy Grail of the series and any gameplay changes at all will be received poorly by that group. An easy mode especially would be Kryptonite to them. They're probably a very vocal minority of the community as a whole, though.

I enjoyed playing through the game well enough back in 2012, but I personally think the game would benefit from a lot of the QoL features introduced to the series since, so I hope they're doing a bit more than just a graphical update to the game. If that requires switching on easy mode, then I will not look back.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Same as all old RPGs, there's just a million little transition things between the various parts of the game that are only like a second or two long each, but when you put them all together it probably accounts for like 20% of your total playtime, which in a long RPG means hours and hours of down time. Rooting them out and getting rid of them would be a huge undertaking, and I've never seen it done for a remaster of a game, only for complete remakes like FF7R.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

As I described above, SMT is sort of "The Dark Souls of JRPGs". Struggling against bosses and dungeons and overcoming them is a big part of the experience since the series began. It's not Dark Souls tier where many (if not most) players will say it outright ruins the experience), but it's still there.

I think you mean "The Dark Souls of Persona".

Though it's worth mentioning that SMT games mostly have a strong inverse difficulty curve where the beginning is a bit rough with some big difficulty spikes early on, but outside of a tough boss here or there get a lot easier toward the middle and late game. Funny enough SMT4 is arguably the most extreme example of this.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Putting in an easy mode is only objectionable to me if the game's difficulty is central to its experience. Which is very few games, but they exist. Most notable Dark Souls.

EDIT - It could also be argued that having a game too easy could change how the game itself plays and thus changes the experience. I personally felt playing Odin Sphere PS4 on anything other than Hard was a travesty. Playing on Normal takes away any strategy to the game and makes it a standard beat-em-upy side scroller.

Item Getter posted:

Though it's worth mentioning that SMT games mostly have a strong inverse difficulty curve where the beginning is a bit rough with some big difficulty spikes early on, but outside of a tough boss here or there get a lot easier toward the middle and late game. Funny enough SMT4 is arguably the most extreme example of this.

WTF is with that image? SMTIV owns hard.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 21, 2020

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I couldn't get into 4 and 4 Final mostly because the viewing angle was so incredibly narrow combined with deadly penalties for not seeing an enemy coming fast enough.

Strange Journey was my favorite RPG on the DS or 3DS though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

punk rebel ecks posted:

Putting in an easy mode is only objectionable to me if the game's difficulty is central to its experience. Which is very few games, but they exist. Most notable Dark Souls.

EDIT - It could also be argued that having a game too easy could change how the game itself plays and thus changes the experience. I personally felt playing Odin Sphere PS4 on anything other than Hard was a travesty. Playing on Normal takes away any strategy to the game and makes it a standard beat-em-upy side scroller.

:shrug: If you don't like it, don't look at it? It's not a problem unless they lock Normal/Hard difficulties behind beating the game in easy or something. Play on the difficulty setting you like, it's not a problem if there's more than one. Personally, I've avoided Dark Souls specifically because of that difficulty; I play video games to relax, not to put fist-sized holes in my wall. The games don't sound fun to me, and I might've been interested if they had a slightly more accessible difficulty setting than "dick in a vise".

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

:shrug: If you don't like it, don't look at it? It's not a problem unless they lock Normal/Hard difficulties behind beating the game in easy or something. Play on the difficulty setting you like, it's not a problem if there's more than one. Personally, I've avoided Dark Souls specifically because of that difficulty; I play video games to relax, not to put fist-sized holes in my wall. The games don't sound fun to me, and I might've been interested if they had a slightly more accessible difficulty setting than "dick in a vise".

I personally see games "as an art form" so to speak and like having the game being violent (God of War) or have the player traverse over some long distances without teleporting (Death Stranding), I see something being very challenging the same way. Not everything needs to be for everyone.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Item Getter posted:

This checks out, when I played SMT4 I managed to give the MC both the skill that reflects all physical attacks and the skill that reflects all magical attacks, along with the MP draining skill, which meant that as long as I got one weakness hit off I could suck up all the magic I spent on the incredibly thirsty reflection skills and never let any enemy get to do anything ever again.

This happened about two hours after reaching Tokyo and I kinda just got bored and lost interest after that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'd definitely give 4 and 4F another try if they were ported to the Switch and had enough graphic power to run at a wider viewing angle and higher frame rate.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I have no idea why I waited so long to actually play through Super Mario Odyssey but god drat it's good! Just dipped my toes in Balloon World for the first time and it's like, the best implementation of an online thing Nintendo has ever done.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can dream... :smith:

Come on, Monkey's Paw! Give me Capcom's Aliens vs. Predator, Shadows over Mystara 1&2, and Activision's Fall of Cybertron!
I don't care what it takes! :argh:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can't think of any arcade beat em ups that were actually good games outside of the context of spending loads of money to kill time while on holiday.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mister Facetious posted:

I can dream... :smith:

Come on, Monkey's Paw! Give me Capcom's Aliens vs. Predator, Shadows over Mystara 1&2, and Activision's Fall of Cybertron!
I don't care what it takes! :argh:

The D&D games came back, just long enough ago that they aren't on the Switch (though they are on the Wii U)

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Man this Shantae and the Pirate's Curse game sure is a chill time. Great music, simple platforming and every chick has shiny titties. A nice game to alternate with the super serious and underwhelming RE: Revelations 1.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

stev posted:

I can't think of any arcade beat em ups that were actually good games outside of the context of spending loads of money to kill time while on holiday.

:same:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

The D&D games came back, just long enough ago that they aren't on the Switch (though they are on the Wii U)

I know, I bought it for a friend on Steam, BUT- if it's not on the Nintendo Switch®, The World's Perfect Gaming Platform™, I don't want it. :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Martman posted:

I have no idea why I waited so long to actually play through Super Mario Odyssey but god drat it's good! Just dipped my toes in Balloon World for the first time and it's like, the best implementation of an online thing Nintendo has ever done.

The balloon thing is basically how I was able to afford all of those costumes. Love it! And it's one of the clearest examples of "practice makes perfect", since so many people hide balloons in the same general places in a given level, that once you try to find one and fail a few times, you'll soon be able to find them much, much easier going forward. At this point, I can see the general direction and distance of a balloon in the MK world and know exactly where it is.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TomioKanazawa/status/1285508758576062465

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

Commander Keene posted:

I enjoyed playing through the game well enough back in 2012, but I personally think the game would benefit from a lot of the QoL features introduced to the series since, so I hope they're doing a bit more than just a graphical update to the game. If that requires switching on easy mode, then I will not look back.

Here's hoping they let us choose fusion skills

punk rebel ecks posted:

Dark Souls' curve is different as a more actiony game, once you've learned what to do you aren't really in danger anymore. SMT's bullshit can still wreck you even if you know what you're doing going in. It's kind of like fighting Final Fantasy's challenge bosses all the time. It's a hell of a lot more fun than I make it sound, though.

I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's the type to get angry at video games and throw controllers.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'd definitely give 4 and 4F another try if they were ported to the Switch and had enough graphic power to run at a wider viewing angle and higher frame rate.

It would've been perfect on the Wii U.

Hairy Right Hook fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 21, 2020

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah Dark Souls ramps things up rather nicely so you're constantly getting better. I think the only thing that always makes it "hard" is that you always have to be on your toes. You can't really walk into fights and expect to just punish the opposition in a couple of hits without dodging/shielding. Not like BotW where you will be able to eventually just tank your way through (unless maybe you build a tank? I haven't tried that out yet. Next time.)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is the Genki Covert Dock good, or is it overpriced? Is there another cheaper good dock that has tv out and is verified to not fry my Switch

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

(unless maybe you build a tank? I haven't tried that out yet. Next time.)

Havel builds are definitely a thing

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This looks amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2FD-UBIns

And it is coming to North America

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

gently caress yes, if they bring the game up to a reasonable performance I will definitely pick it up! Does anyone know what this first patch is and how deep it goes? Looking forward to the remaining patches!

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's making fun of a bunch of dumb quotes from reviews of SMT4.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Havel builds are definitely a thing

Oh I have no doubt they are, but can you just stand there and take hits without a care in the world? Or do you still have to actively shield/dodge?

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
re: Deadly Premonition patches

Planned improvements so far appear to be fixing up the treatment of trans characters and adding inverted controls, no mention of performance improvements afaik

Kikkoman fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 21, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kikkoman posted:

Planned improvements so far appear to be fixing up the treatment of trans characters and adding inverted controls, no mention of performance improvements afaik

The performance is so bad quite a few people don’t think it can be fixed unless they do a major overhaul.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh I have no doubt they are, but can you just stand there and take hits without a care in the world? Or do you still have to actively shield/dodge?

Depending on exactly how you go you can end up taking a lot of damage without giving a poo poo. You usually end up mid-rolling depending on your ring choices I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This looks amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2FD-UBIns

And it is coming to North America

Getting a lot of Muramasa vibes from this.