Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Wow blueberries really are a huge payday, and they don't go away once they're grown. The hard part about getting the greenhouse from the community center (which I plan to stick trees in with sprinklers) is that some of those items seem extremely hard to get, especially the animal products since the initial investment is so big to produce all of the different goods, and the 5x gold star crops. Surely there has to be an easier way than the travelling store, right?

Some of them can be had as drops from monsters in the mine. Some are legitimately difficult to get, like the rabbit's foot. Be sure to note a lot of the bundles want x things from a list of y options, so you may be able to substitute something else for a difficult item. The travelling cart will, in addition to its normal schedule, show up for a multi-day event in winter. This event is another opportunity to potentially acquire bundle items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Zeron posted:

Yeah FoMT is alright but personally it just lacked way too much content. Barely any dialogue differences, there's not a lot of depth and a lot of it is still hidden behind ridiculous requirements. It's fine for a gameboy game but you are way better off with Stardew, Rune Factory, or Trio of Towns. Especially for the price.

Is Rune factory out on PC? They were always my favorite HM games.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

It looks like 3 sets of 5x gold crops are required, right? (from the wiki)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Correct, just three. It's a nice buffer for missing gold parsnips if you're not prepped for it.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

AHH F/UGH posted:

It looks like 3 sets of 5x gold crops are required, right? (from the wiki)

Correct, and you can't get them from the traveling cart so you gotta grow them yourself

One nice thing about Corn is that it grows in both Summer and Fall, so any Corn plants you plant in Summer stay alive and keep producing through the Fall. So I recommend making space for several Corn plants in Summer to fill that slot in the Bundle.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

AHH F/UGH posted:

the greenhouse from the community center (which I plan to stick trees in with sprinklers)r.

If all you're using it for is trees, you can skip the sprinklers. You don't need to water trees.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

AHH F/UGH posted:

Is there any disadvantage to donating things to the museum? I'd hate to give the museum something that I need for a quest or recipe later.

The most important things to hang on to (read: give your second copy to the museum) are Prismatic Shard and Dinosaur Egg. There are more useful things you can do with your first copies.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Donating things is also how you get access to the sewers. I think you need to donate 90 items? Whatever number it is its a lot. There are a couple useful things in the sewers.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I'd also hold on to the first diamond to let it tumble in the gem duping machine (25K bundle) forever.
But yeah all the common crystals and artifacts are to be donated asap.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

limp_cheese posted:

Donating things is also how you get access to the sewers. I think you need to donate 90 items? Whatever number it is its a lot. There are a couple useful things in the sewers.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

sauer kraut posted:

I'd also hold on to the first diamond to let it tumble in the gem duping machine (25K bundle) forever.
But yeah all the common crystals and artifacts are to be donated asap.

I gave the first Ocean Stone I found to Gunther. I spent aeons (and eventually, had to hit up Stardew Predictor) trying to find a second Ocean Stone for my Midnight Squid pond.

Shortly after that, I adopted a policy that every replicable mineral or gem I found a new one of would go into a Crystallarium, with the first replicant going into my Gems and Minerals chest, and the second one going to the museum.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

This game is going to take me loving years of my life to 100% and get everything the way I want it, won't it

Oh well, I spent all loving day today playing it between the couple of emails I had to send

Working from my home office is a real bummer!! In this together!!!!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the true min/max is not blueberries, it is hops

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

ILL Machina posted:

Don't trust this man.

I kid...a little. You gotta do a little fishing for the center and if you want crab pots for sashimi, but the money is bad after week 1 and imo it's a boring mini game to spend your initial game time with when you could be learning how to run the mines or something.

Fishing kills in the early game, especially now with the training rod and purple fish.

Edit: As in, fishing really really heavy and upgrading the heck out of the pick got me 320 Starfruit in the ground on Summer 1, built from profits from fishing and then diving to level 100+ in the Skull Cave during spring.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 21, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i've done a slingshot like that before and the luck you require to pull it off is absolutely obscene. obviously you can zerg it by just replaying the day if the caves or the ponds aren't working with you, but prepare to play the same day over like half a dozen times in some cases when you are just not getting the quota you need to make it work.

a quality sprinkler to hops slingshot should never require a day reset unless you fall asleep at the switch and die in the mines.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

LLSix posted:

Is Rune factory out on PC? They were always my favorite HM games.

Doesn't look like it. IP's still going, though, since there's a Switch release for 2020

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The setting and characters didn't really appeal to me, but Rune Factory 4's my favorite playing farm sim. The farming and town aspects are the deepest I've seen, and the combat and dungeon exploring are almost fun!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Randallteal posted:

The setting and characters didn't really appeal to me, but Rune Factory 4's my favorite playing farm sim. The farming and town aspects are the deepest I've seen, and the combat and dungeon exploring are almost fun!

The upgrading of weapons/armor can get pretty deep once you get into it, but it's mostly not necessary to worry about. I think my favorite part of the game is that you can tame just about every monster (including bosses!), and then not only have them produce materials and help you with dungeon diving, but they can also take care of the farm for you.

I also like the request system - you get daily quests from a mailbox outside your front door, and there's an absurdly long line of unlockable quests that introduces new crops, game mechanics (it's where you learn about taming bosses, for instance), and other stuff in a way that drip feeds you content and is a lot of fun. You can often completely circumvent the quests and complete them immediately because you've already met the prerequisites, so it doesn't feel like it holds you back at all either.

Theoretically RF5 is coming out this year, but they haven't said anything in months that I can tell.

It would be amazing if someone ripped off the RF series mechanics and set them in a game without terminal anime poisoning though.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I missed planning ahead and didn’t get the 5x gold parsnip and the 5x gold melons so the earliest I can have the greenhouse is Summer of year two. I’m just hoping I can start getting obscene money from berries and fruit trees once that happens so I can at least get 3 candles from Grandpa. I don’t think it’s possible for me to get 4 because I don’t think I can make the villagers like me enough to get it. I can probably get to the end of the mines, get both keys, and upgrade the house, but the last point to get 4 candles would have to be the villagers and I don’t know how quickly I can do that considering I’m funning all my time and resources into getting this greenhouse built.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I would like to give RF4 a shot. Vicarious living may well be an acceptable substitute for meds.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

AHH F/UGH posted:

I missed planning ahead and didn’t get the 5x gold parsnip and the 5x gold melons so the earliest I can have the greenhouse is Summer of year two. I’m just hoping I can start getting obscene money from berries and fruit trees once that happens so I can at least get 3 candles from Grandpa. I don’t think it’s possible for me to get 4 because I don’t think I can make the villagers like me enough to get it. I can probably get to the end of the mines, get both keys, and upgrade the house, but the last point to get 4 candles would have to be the villagers and I don’t know how quickly I can do that considering I’m funning all my time and resources into getting this greenhouse built.

I'm pretty sure I read Gramps will regrade on request.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Parallelwoody posted:

I'm pretty sure I read Gramps will regrade on request.

Yeah if you put a diamond on his shrine, but damnit I want to beat the game the first time without asking for a do-over

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

AHH F/UGH posted:

Yeah if you put a diamond on his shrine, but damnit I want to beat the game the first time without asking for a do-over

It only takes about a month of loved gifts to max a villager out. You've got plenty of time.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Just FYI, it's usually not possible to get the Community Center filled before Summer Y2 because the seeds you need to grow Red Cabbage don't go on sale before then. The only way to get it done sooner is to get lucky with the Traveling Cart.

LLSix posted:

It only takes about a month of loved gifts to max a villager out. You've got plenty of time.

Yes, and even Liked or Neutral gifts can move the needle for them. Also, keep track of birthdays and try to give them a Liked gift at the very least. It helps a LOT.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Also every day* you talk to them is +20** heart points and each day you don't is -2 so click on them each day.

*doesn't work on festival days as far as I can tell?
**10 if they're doing something like is Sam is skateboarding.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Man fishing is the way to go actually, at least for getting enough money for the house upgrades, barn upgrade and coop upgrade. A full day of fishing can get like 2000+ gold if you're a little lucky. In the wintertime it's really easy to make a bunch of cash.

I'll keep the talking to people thing in mind. Who are the closest 3 villages? Marnie and her kids? I have Linus and Haley up pretty high.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Shane's not one of Marnie's kids. He's a family friend who lives in the house.

Leah's also pretty close by, living across the path from Marnie's farm.

So many times have I confused Leah, Jodi, Robin, and Elliot's sprites when trying to deliver a quest item or a friendship gift.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 21, 2020

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I though Shane and Jas were Marnie's biological nephew and grand-niece? I know Shane is Jas' godfather, and I assume they're bio-uncle and niece because she calls him "Uncle Shane" and they both have dark purple hair.

Leah's Hearts are pretty easy to raise, because she Likes a lot of forage. (Same with Linus, for that matter.) But I always prioritize Shane's Hearts because you need to see his 8-Heart event to unlock fancy blue chickens. This is easy to do quickly if you plan it right - just keep giving him Beer and Hot Peppers.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

AHH F/UGH posted:

Man fishing is the way to go actually, at least for getting enough money for the house upgrades, barn upgrade and coop upgrade. A full day of fishing can get like 2000+ gold if you're a little lucky. In the wintertime it's really easy to make a bunch of cash.

I'll keep the talking to people thing in mind. Who are the closest 3 villages? Marnie and her kids? I have Linus and Haley up pretty high.

I'm chiming back in for one last anti fishing round.

Fish with the training rod a bit before you can go in the mines. Fish on specific weather days to get bundle fish, it is a waste of time early game (if you're talking a long term slingshot) when you can otherwise smelt and sell poo poo loads of gold from the last mine levels and/or prep for iridium diving in the skull cavern. Sprinklers and crops will quickly make $2k look like a joke. And honestly, once you get good at dungeon crawling it's safe and insanely profitable for the energy and cash investment (see: upgraded pickaxe) and will quickly fund anything you need to do. Early game you kinda have to wait for rain if you don't have some food stockpiled. As a habit, I keep silver food for scarfing in the early dungeon runs before you can stock up on salmonberries or trail food.

I enjoy fishing plenty, but I think you shouldn't spend 25 of your first 30 hours on it because it's the least rich part of the game in terms of assets/movement/resource management/content.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 22, 2020

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

AHH F/UGH posted:

I missed planning ahead and didn’t get the 5x gold parsnip and the 5x gold melons so the earliest I can have the greenhouse is Summer of year two.

You can actually get the Greenhouse in Spring year 2 if you already have(or get) the gold corn and pumpkins. You only need 3 of the 4 crops listed to complete that bundle. So if you get enough gold parsnips you'll be set there at least.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Unclouded posted:

You can actually get the Greenhouse in Spring year 2 if you already have(or get) the gold corn and pumpkins. You only need 3 of the 4 crops listed to complete that bundle. So if you get enough gold parsnips you'll be set there at least.

Oh I didn't realize that, thank the loving lord, I'll have an extra season to powerfarm cranberries while transitioning into hops for the summer

I'm trusting Machina on the mining instead of the fishing, even though it was very consistent income during a time when there's nothing to take care of on the farm except my cows, chickens and the mushroom cave.

Right now I'm on winter of year one, I've got to the mine level 100 and I've been making gold, iron and copper bars like crazy, also oak resin for the kegs.

now if I could just get this god drat goat to give me a large milk

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

AHH F/UGH posted:

seen

felt

heard

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Just wait until you need a duck feather or rabbit's foot.

I swear duck feathers are harder ro come by than a rabbit's foot since some monsters drop rabbit's feet.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

This is gonna sound bad but I already sold like 3 duck feathers because I can't find anything they're actually used for

So far my plan is this
1,000,000 gold = 7 points
Five 8-star friendships = 1 point
Pet loves you = 1 point
Married with upgrades = 1 point
Get Skull Key at bottom of mine = 1 point
30 points in skills = 1 point

That should be enough to get me the highest evaluation, I just need to go loving wild with the berries and hops farming once I get this final batch of spring crops and I finish the greenhouse. I know Strawberries are for sale at the Egg festival too so I'll run with those as well. I've got 7 kegs set up already for the hops farming and I'm checking the travelling cart as often as I can to see if a hops seed shows up so I can start early. If not, I'll just build a seed recycler.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You can just plug your save into this thing and it'll tally up your grandpa points and stuff for you.

https://mouseypounds.github.io/stardew-checkup/

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

AHH F/UGH posted:

This is gonna sound bad but I already sold like 3 duck feathers because I can't find anything they're actually used for

Making friends with Elliott, mostly

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Pththya-lyi posted:

Making friends with Elliott, mostly

Crab pots are the far easier way to do that

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

pomegranates, too, although that won't be something for your first year

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I hosed up big time and completely spaced to buy the strawberries at the egg festival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I've got way too much time on my hands right now. Especially during the day for me. Anyone interested in playing some multiplayer?

Ideally between and 15:00 and 22:00 GMT?