Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

OutOfPrint posted:

Making the player spend the first half hour of the game looking at the protagonist's taint was pretty funny, too.

butts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If you like staring at men's asses MGS is definitely the series for you. Kojima loves him some nice, tight buttocks.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

StrixNebulosa posted:

MGSV Phantom Pain: I understand the hospital sequence is completely unlike the rest of the game, and... I'm kinda bummed! That was a really well done cinematic horror sequence that conveyed a sense of powerlessness unlike anything I've ever played before. You can barely walk or do anything, and the military VS the SCP plays out around you as you struggle to escape, and it ends in fire whale cowboy rescue shotgun adventure, which is something

I'm glad I experienced it!

yeah, I absolutely love the intro. So many unique assets and animations, too.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I followed MGSV for years, and i was so hyped to play it. When the game came out, they had preloading for consoles, but not for steam. There was drama enough behind that as:

1) They actually were going to bump back the PC release specifically to a different date after console release, and

2) When they determined they could meet the date, they shipped physical copies. These CDs contained nothing, except for a setup for steam.exe

Still, i haven't been hyped up for a game in awhile, as Ground Zeroes exceeded my expectations. I waited until five in the goddamn morning for the thing to be done, with a lack of sleep, i put my headphones in full blast and played through the prologue. The moment where the soldiers started searching each curtain to kill all the patients and switching to not be found was one of the more tense moments i had in a video game. Immediately playing the first mission and then getting loosed into the open world for you to kidnap soldiers was so good, i thoroughly enjoyed running around like Rambo and playing like i would any Hitman game. Be super stealthy, but if i get caught, well, it's time to leave no witnesses, sorry!

I wish the game was actually completed.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 21, 2020

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Meanwhile every time I play Noita:

(that's a lie. this usually happens on level 2)

Yeah, I haven’t played recently but as I recall my earlier experiences all involved getting to the second level and dying. Guess I should give it another shot.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It's crazy to think that there is no more Metal Gear. Such a huge series that is one of the biggest in gaming just...gone.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's crazy to think that there is no more Metal Gear. Such a huge series that is one of the biggest in gaming just...gone.

Holding out hope Konami will take the remake approach like Resident Evil.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Hope not because it's a good when things end and new IPs are made.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Look Sir Droids posted:

good luck with that monkey's paw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUz-rSjcrIQ

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm still kinda :geno: at Noita after a couple more tries, but seeing those gifs I suspect I have more Newbie Cliff to get past first. I'll get there, eventually.

In the meantime apparently I'm playing roguelite minesweeper :ok:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There totally is a learning curve with Noita. I haven't played in a bit but while I was never good at it, you do eventually figure out the way the spells work together and be able to get some good runs going.

I'm forcing myself to go back and loving finish Outer Wilds, not that I don't like it but I keep buying new poo poo which pushes it further back and I absolutely love playing this game. It's cool how alien the things you find are, like the weird controls for things you have to just gently caress with until it does something because why would they have a flight stick to control a ship? It's a nice world building touch when they could've just as easily designed their equipment to look like nondescript future computers and scattered around data pads for the text you read.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

PSA that there's mods for both MGS1 and 2 on PC that at least make those games run really well on modern systems. It's not the updated ports of the entire series that I truly crave, but it's a nice stopgap.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The core gameplay mechanics of Metal Gear Solid V are so good that nothing else really matters. Playing as Venom Snake on his way to steal your man is extremely satisfying.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Last I heard, Konami had withdrawn from the video game market altogether. The only MGS remake you will ever see is in the form of a Pachinko machine.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Kojima is equal rear end

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Cardiovorax posted:

Last I heard, Konami had withdrawn from the video game market altogether. The only MGS remake you will ever see is in the form of a Pachinko machine.

This has never been true, they just stopped making the stuff 99% of the west cared about. Their arcade and rhythm games never even took a break and Pro Evolution Soccer continued without fail.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They also put out a few recent compilations of old games with more possibly on the way.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
MGS4 has some of the best Solid butt you'll see. One of my favorite MGS games ever. 3 is still my bae.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Konami has a habit of giving their IPs to studios that don't have much under their belt, or they just don't really give a drat in general.

Contra Rogue Corps, is loving embarrassing and they had having the gall to charge full price for it.

It pales in comparison to Hard Corps: Uprising, which is Contra in the hands of ArcSys, I mean just look at this, It's been ten fuckin' years since Hard Corps:Uprising, and they haven't even ported this to the other consoles, I think you can still buy it on the 360.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCGAYoaTw-0

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I feel it's also worth mentioning Contra 4 which was given to a shovelware studio at the time who wanted to prove themselves named "WayForward". They gave them a chance, I'd imagine because they were the lowest bidder, and the studio put out arguably the best game in the series. It was the pivoting point of Wayforward becoming one of the best developers around today.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I feel it's also worth mentioning Contra 4 which was given to a shovelware studio at the time who wanted to prove themselves named "WayForward". They gave them a chance, I'd imagine because they were the lowest bidder, and the studio put out arguably the best game in the series. It was the pivoting point of Wayforward becoming one of the best developers around today.

Ah poo poo, what i left out in my original post is that Konami around that time would just give it to the lowest bidder, but it certainly wasn't out the kindness of their hearts. WayForward knocked it outta the park with Contra 4

I can barely keep up with Contra 4, but it's pure distilled Contra, that manages to be a dozen times more difficult than 3 for me on account of the dual screen.

Also wanna point out that the Soundtrack was so absolutely loving terrific, I started following his work and it was Jake "Virt" Kaufman who did the soundtrack. He eventually would go on to to do soundtracks for Retro City Rampage (Collab for RCR), Duck Tales Remastered, Shantae and the Shovel Knight Soundtrack. I still listen to Shovel Knight it's so drat good.

Play Shovel Knight

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 21, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom's enjoyment falls off a cliff at the halfway point. It's the exact opposite problem of Shantae. It become way too hard and ambitious for its own good. It goes from one of the best "Metroidvanias" ever to "God, just let this end already!"

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Having finally played Snakebird I know this got some recognition when it came out but I feel like it didn't get nearly enough. I'm only on level 7 and already giving my brain the workout of a lifetime. It's bizarrely reminiscent of Baba Is You, just the sheer economy of the level design, the emphasis on moving everything in very specific ways in the right order, and having to mentally break down levels into progression chunks based on certainties of what you can or can't do after some trial and error.

And, much like Baba Is You, I suspect I'll hit a brick wall with the difficulty sooner rather than later.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean they already had Xtreme Sports, Wendy: Every Witch Way, Shantae (of course), the GBA sequel they failed to ever find a publisher for (which got chopped up and became Risky's Revenge), the other GBA game they couldn't find a publisher for which eventually became Mighty Flip Champs, and Sigma Star Saga under their belts along with a metric shitload of lesser-quality licensed endeavours. But maybe having Contra on their resume gained enough capital and turned enough heads to allow them to work on some better licensed projects.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 21, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Blasphemous is getting some free DLC on August 4th, and it looks to be massive in scope. It adds new monsters, bosses, sidequests, story, areas, you name it, while also revamping the map and combat to make it more palatable. Plus it will have a Spanish VO because why not. It's basically looking to be Blasphemous 2.0.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 21, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Blattdorf posted:

Blasphemous is getting some free DLC on August 4th, and it looks to be massive in scope. It adds new monsters, bosses, sidequests, story, areas, you name it, while also revamping the map and combat to make it more palatable. Plus it will have a Spanish VO because why not. It's basically looking to be Blasphemous 2.0.

This ain’t the switch thread but the game is half off on the eshop and people say it runs great on there as well if someone was looking for a portable version!

Gonna add it to my steam wishlist as well though because the game looks great

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I finished Blasphemous when it was in the bundle but I don't feel like playing more of it, or even replaying it. It was just okay.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Jimbot posted:

Any Company of Heroes 2 players around?

Can you explain how satchel charges work and the point of molotovs? I select to use the satchel charge on enemies soldiers but it doesn't seem to do anything. Does it only work on buildings? As for molotovs, it takes about 10 minutes to throw one and the damage it does seem to be nonexistent? An enemy squad can stand in the fire and nothing seems to happen. Meanwhile they throw a grenade and you have .5 seconds to move your squad or else it just dies.

Seems like the Soviets are positioned as having the shittiest imaginable unit abilities with conscripts being really bad but somehow they still cost a lot. The Shock Troop commander seems to be required if you want them at all to be useful.

Conscripts are considered one of the best units at a higher level, because they are cheap, have great upgrades and fantastic utility. All on a unit soviets can get from the start. Molotovs are often skipped unless it's a particularily garrison heavy map.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Samuringa posted:

Hope not because it's a good when things end and new IPs are made.

It’s also good when old things can be made better and/or preserved by being easily accessible on multiple platforms via digital distribution.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

This has never been true, they just stopped making the stuff 99% of the west cared about. Their arcade and rhythm games never even took a break and Pro Evolution Soccer continued without fail.

Why care about the west when you have literal gambling machines?

I'm the exact opposite. I don't do loot boxes, I refuse to buy them, I don't play hearthstone and don't buy loving MTG card packs anymore.

ANYWAYS

How is American Truck Simulator over Euro Truck Simulator?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Metroidvanias I've played on steam ranked:

1.) Hollow Knight
2.) Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
3.) Rabi-Ribi (warning: lewd anime art)
4.) Touhou: Luna Nights (probably ranked this high because of the soundtrack and because it made me actually go back and beat some mainline touhou games)
5.) Sundered
6.) Blasphemous (mostly for the art)
7.) Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (I find combat awkward but the last two power ups are very fun)
8.) Ori1
9.) Gato Roboto
10.) Valdis Story: Abyssal City

The only one of these I wouldn't actually recommend is Valdis Story. I played Cave Story ages back but not on steam. Besides Ori2 I don't know what next one I should play.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
La-Mulana :getin:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

No Wave posted:

Besides Ori2 I don't know what next one I should play.

momodora 4! I don't play a ton of Metroidvanias (I'm really bad at platforming and 2D combat that doesn't have a dodge roll), but I really, really like that game. it's also only like five hours long and is perfectly paced

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The correct answer is to play Hollow Knight again even if you already just did.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Why care about the west when you have literal gambling machines?

I'm the exact opposite. I don't do loot boxes, I refuse to buy them, I don't play hearthstone and don't buy loving MTG card packs anymore.

ANYWAYS

How is American Truck Simulator over Euro Truck Simulator?
I think I lean more and more toward ATS with every expansion. Theyve started catching up on mid route scenery in the latest ETS games, but ATS has more of stuff like mid highway towns and other stuff just off the side of the road and driving around cities feels more like being in the city instead of skirting around the very extreme of it like most ETS cities feel like. ETS is also older so it has the bigger map but the core map really shows its age. It's getting redone bit by bit but it's mostly Autobahn so it's going from straight wide boring highways to straight wide boring highways with more accurate signs.

At the end of the day the best way to decide is still figure out which trucks you want to drive and where and dive in there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

No Wave posted:

The only one of these I wouldn't actually recommend is Valdis Story. I played Cave Story ages back but not on steam. Besides Ori2 I don't know what next one I should play.

There's only two 'stages' so far but Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth is very good (and by the Luna Nights crew).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

No Wave posted:

Metroidvanias I've played on steam ranked:

1.) Hollow Knight
2.) Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
3.) Rabi-Ribi (warning: lewd anime art)
4.) Touhou: Luna Nights (probably ranked this high because of the soundtrack and because it made me actually go back and beat some mainline touhou games)
5.) Sundered
6.) Blasphemous (mostly for the art)
7.) Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (I find combat awkward but the last two power ups are very fun)
8.) Ori1
9.) Gato Roboto
10.) Valdis Story: Abyssal City

Guacamelee
Iconoclasts
SteamWorld Dig 2
Wuppo

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 21, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

Besides Ori2 I don't know what next one I should play.
My recommendation would be Aquaria, even if it is not a typical platformer. Has a really kickass soundtrack too (...and you won't be supporting the problematic composer anymore).

e: Also, Steamworld Dig 2. The first one is entirely skippable.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 21, 2020

Saintv77
Aug 5, 2008

No Wave posted:

Seconding that you need to play Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight.

Saintv77 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 21, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I hate puzzles so I've been putting it off. It'll have to happen some day.

abraham linksys posted:

momodora 4! I don't play a ton of Metroidvanias (I'm really bad at platforming and 2D combat that doesn't have a dodge roll), but I really, really like that game. it's also only like five hours long and is perfectly paced
Looks good, ty

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's only two 'stages' so far but Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth is very good (and by the Luna Nights crew).
I'll probably wait until it's done but I'll keep an eye on it - thanks!

Hwurmp posted:

Guacamelee
Iconoclasts
I didn't love what I saw of Iconoclasts but I should do Guacamelee - thanks!

anilEhilated posted:

My recommendation would be Aquaria, even if it is not a typical platformer. Has a really kickass soundtrack too (...and you won't be supporting the problematic composer anymore).

e: Also, Steamworld Dig 2. The first one is entirely skippable.
I'll take a look, thanks - I only know it through the character in Super Meat Boy so I'm curious. Steamworld Dig 2 I've heard good things about so I'll look at it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

explosivo posted:

I'm forcing myself to go back and loving finish Outer Wilds, not that I don't like it but I keep buying new poo poo which pushes it further back and I absolutely love playing this game. It's cool how alien the things you find are, like the weird controls for things you have to just gently caress with until it does something because why would they have a flight stick to control a ship? It's a nice world building touch when they could've just as easily designed their equipment to look like nondescript future computers and scattered around data pads for the text you read.

It is a cool feeling to kind of start to understand and piece together what is going on. Many "Aha!" moments playing that. I don't feel bad reading a wiki for some of the puzzles as there were a few I definitely wouldn't have gotten and I was especially fixated on those ships you could control with the alien panels, thinking that there were puzzles regarding those.

It's an absolutely lovely game.