Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

gay picnic defence posted:

It's Adelaide, of course they're miserable. Aside from the footy what else do the poor fuckers have to do? Go to church?

Spoken like someone who has never tried our cheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

NTRabbit posted:

Spoken like someone who has never tried our cheese

I've tried SA cheese. Shaw & Smith used to do (and I assume still do) a wine tasting where they give you a bunch of wines and a cheese to go with each. That was like 10 years ago now (gently caress me sideways time flies) and I assume more of those places have opened up doing boutique foodie stuff since then.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's Adelaide, of course they're miserable. Aside from the footy what else do the poor fuckers have to do? Go to church?

At the moment, go outside.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Adelaide is a really lovely place to live and I am forever befuddled by the "Adelaide is awful" jokes.

Like, I would never joke that Melbourne is a poo poo place to live. It's not, it's great. So is Adelaide. They're very comparable. Same opportunities, same climate, same culture, same footy obsession. Melbourne is just a bigger Adelaide. If I was going to live anywhere other than Adelaide, it would be Melbourne because every time I visit it feels immediately familiar in ways that other Australian cities simply don't.

thepokey posted:

I find it funny that a lot of Adelaide fans are this much doom and gloom. Not to say they aren’t deplorable right now - of course they are. But this so far is really Adelaides first *really* bad year. They’ve never really truly bottomed out before. Plenty of other clubs have been through long lovely slogs at the bottom for various reasons. I’m sure Adelaide will sort their poo poo out whether it’s in a year or two or three and bounce back.

That being said, I honestly reckon there’s a better than good chance they beat us this weekend. We are just the sort of team that will let Adelaide get their first win of the season.

I agree that this is the first time we've been this bad, ever. The problem is that we've been on this path for what feels like two decades now. We just keep going through a cycle of looking alright but not quite good enough, then declining. Each time, instead of actually addressing the underlying issues, we paper over the cracks, trade in some bargain basement mature age talent, maybe replace a coach, but keep everything else in place, particularly our administrative structure. We constantly offer coaching or administrative jobs to our ex-players that no other club wants, we overpay our long-term players that no other club wants, and struggle to actually attract or retain any genuine talent, even when they're from SA to start with. And inevitably we repeat the cycle, each time sinking a bit further and a bit further. It always seemed as if we would eventually land at rock bottom, and now here we are, and we have made no steps whatsoever to begin turning things around. It would be one thing if we'd spent the last few years getting our club in shape and were now primed to start climbing back up the ladder, but that's not the case. We look light years away from even just scraping ourselves up off the bottom of the ladder, let alone competing for a flag.

Back when Kurt Tippett left the club and we had our two years of draft sanctions, there was a saying among Crows fans that we now had a "war chest". All that money, and no highly rated draft picks... surely we'd be able to go and target some quality players, just like our quality players were always targeted. But it never actually happened. Either we got turned down, or we spread that cash among our remaining players to keep them there, but every year we'd lose a player reportedly earning 500k plus, and yet we'd never bring anyone in on anything close to that cash. What are we doing with all the money we were paying Tippett, and Dangerfield, and the rest? The one time we actually offered a player big money, Eddie Betts, it became probably our best trade since we landed Andrew McLeod. But outside of Bryce Gibbs (lol) it never happened again. Meanwhile, we somehow keep losing our quality youth because we won't meet their contract demands.

It's been a very frustrating, slow decline over years and this is the end result. And even when we've had rare windows of opportunities to win flags (05, 06, 12, 17) we haven't got it done.

I'm just glad I've got two young kids and an increasingly busy work life to distract me from footy at the moment. A decade ago I would be devastated to see how poorly my team was playing. At the moment, I'm just hoping this finally jolts the club into making real, genuine, wholesale changes. Get rid of the administrators that have presided over this decline for years and years and put some new people in there.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 21, 2020

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Chairchucker posted:

At the moment, go outside.

:iceburn:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

I think Adelaide people are befuddled by why we are upset that everything is closed in Melbourne, that's just everyday life is in Adelaide.

I can understand Adelaide fans being unhappy at the moment, but talking of "may as well close the club down" and such is a bit dramatic. Essendon went through the supplement saga and haven't won a final since Federation. Carlton and Melbourne both had deplorable runs at the bottom. Port was the absolute laughing stock for years etc. Adelaide were in a GF 3 years ago. I know its all been downhill since but, y'know, it's your turn now.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 21, 2020

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
20 days of footy coming up: https://www.afl.com.au/news/468187/footy-every-day-dogs-tigers-clash-kicks-off-fixture-frenzy

some of the scheduling is pretty awful, for example:

Thursday July 30

Carlton vs Hawthorn (Perth Stadium), 3:40pm (5:40pm est)

Melbourne vs Port Adelaide (Gabba), 8:10pm (est)

Why not make Friday nights the doubleheader?

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Melbourne has been completely hosed over in this fixture. We have a game in all four weeks, and each game requires travelling to a different state.

Essendon, the only other team playing four games, doesn't leave Queensland.

Pretty much every other team sets up in a hub, or has a bye week before they travel.

I get that it can't be easy to do a fixture with current circumstances but loving hell. Fingers crossed the Tassie government doesn't approve it so we can stay in Queensland for that game.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

cmndstab posted:

Get rid of the administrators that have presided over this decline for years and years and put some new people in there.

It took a drug scandal to get rid of most of the worst of Essendon's administration, you gotta do better than an abusive camp if you want wholesale change.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

thepokey posted:

I can understand Adelaide fans being unhappy at the moment, but talking of "may as well close the club down" and such is a bit dramatic. Essendon went through the supplement saga and haven't won a final since Federation.

See, this is the problem. You guys went through the supplement saga, and then cleaned out the club afterwards.

Do you know who the Crows chairman was when the Tippett saga happened? Rob Chapman. And who was the chairman when the camp debacle happened? Rob Chapman. And who is still the chairman? Rob Chapman. He's announced he's finally stepping aside after 2020, but not because of anything that's gone wrong. He's just finally had enough fun. How can you oversee that many utter failures and still keep your job?

He's far from the only one. It took years and years for us to finally get rid of Stephen Trigg, and there are even rumours now (unsubstantiated at this stage) that we asked him to come back. Essentially our entire upper admin structure has been there for years, and every time we lurch into another disaster these same people who oversaw the last dozen disasters "fix" the problem by doing the minimal possible change which never involves any of them.

And even with Rob Chapman stepping aside, I have no faith that they'll appoint someone good to the role. They will most likely have a "nationwide search for the most qualified person" that results in just promoting from within, like they always do. This is the club that has had such utter morons (and, inevitably, former Crows players) as Nigel Smart and Brett Burton holding top positions after promoting them from roles they've previously failed in.

Obviously I don't want the club to shut down. What I want is actual change, from the top. Not just a replaced coach, or a couple of scapegoats like last time, and even those changes were resisted until they were absolutely unavoidable. If it takes going through a period of utter dreck to finally force our hand on that, so be it.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 22, 2020

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Suns absolutely robbed by the umpires. How the gently caress was that not a downfield free on their last kick forward?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Umpires favoured the dogs you say?

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Suns got gifted enough decisions during the game.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Forum Joe posted:

Suns got gifted enough decisions during the game.

Umpiring was an absolute trash fire in both directions but from what I saw the dogs got the better of it overall, hosed if I know what incorrect disposal or holding the ball even are anymore. Multiple cases of polar opposite decisions from one play to the next.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Windmill Hut posted:

Melbourne has been completely hosed over in this fixture. We have a game in all four weeks, and each game requires travelling to a different state.

Essendon, the only other team playing four games, doesn't leave Queensland.

Pretty much every other team sets up in a hub, or has a bye week before they travel.

I get that it can't be easy to do a fixture with current circumstances but loving hell. Fingers crossed the Tassie government doesn't approve it so we can stay in Queensland for that game.

:toot:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Multiple cases of polar opposite decisions from one play to the next.

This annoyed me more last week than how badly Essendon was playing. Dogs player got tackled from behind, free kick for in the back. Merrett gets driven into the ground, free kick holding the ball.

It made it hard to watch the Collingwood game as a neutral observer too.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I dislike Toby Greene immensely. Both as a person and a footballer. I wish nothing but misery and degradation upon him.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

On the flip side, he sunk Richmond tonight so, y'know even the bad ones are capable of some good acts

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
What the gently caress umpires? Prior opportunity is still a loving thing. You cant just ping the last player to pick it up before being immediately tackled.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
The umpire that gave that free to Papley needs to be suspended. This bullshit needs to stop. We get it you’re pissy about clarko telling you how bad you are at your job but guess what YOURE loving TERRIBLE AT IT

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
im all for the umps punishing the hawks

opened pandoras box clarco

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Do an NRL, go back to one ump imo.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

realbez posted:

The umpire that gave that free to Papley needs to be suspended.

Yeah, that was ridiculous. What a loving game changer.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Clarkson is a salty bitch

https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1286958585482641408/

Although good of him to take the heat off the players for the rest of the week.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Carn Saints

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

drunkill posted:

Clarkson is a salty bitch

https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1286958585482641408/

Although good of him to take the heat off the players for the rest of the week.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/T/Tom_Papley.html

lol, he averages 1 free against and 1 free for a game

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the Power faithful sound extra feral tonight.

Saints are keeping it close, it's exciting but also really nerve-wracking.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Port are like the SA Essendon. Heroes against brainless opponents but fold against anyone who is up for it

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Membrey goal should have been a free against him for kicking in danger

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
lmao footy rules

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

First time in 120 years a team has won kicking just one behind.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

That Membray goal owned, haters vacate.

Testekill posted:

First time in 120 years a team has won kicking just one behind.

And St. Kilda being the ones to accomplish that is beyond astonishing considering the last few years!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

The Membrey goal should have been a free against him for kicking in danger

His foot was well infront of the defender, stop trying to suck the fun out of everything.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
hunter clark is a football player

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
14. 4
5. 7
15. 3
11. 7
11. 7
12. 6
12. 1

Aside from the 5.7 against Collingwood they've been pretty good in front of the sticks.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

The best bit about the Membrey goal is you can hear a Port supporter screaming at the ump at the top of his lungs "you are breaking this game!"

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Nutsngum posted:

His foot was well infront of the defender, stop trying to suck the fun out of everything.

Enjoy the win dickhead, you still can’t go up in a contest with your foot.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Enjoy the win dickhead, you still can’t go up in a contest with your foot.
Show me the rules stating that and ill gladly concede the 4 points.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Toby Greene says hi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

17.3.2(i) Kicks or attempts to kick the football in a manner likely to cause injury

If you don’t think attempting some dumb bicycle kick while your opponent is contesting the ball right there, while spectacular to look at, meets that definition you’re a dumbass.

What could go wrong with encouraging players to kick the ball mid-air out of a contest *Jeff White sets off another metal detector in the background*