Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jazerus posted:

i still laugh when i remember the time he spent half an hour looking for a princess to marry in ck2 and ended up marrying a priestess because he can't read correctly under pressure

I was about to post about that time he streamed the preview copy of Stellaris: Apocalypse and got extremely mad and angry for like 2 hours because he failed to read tooltips correctly. I used to watch Arumba but he really just isn't fun to watch anymore, he's just a huge downer. I don't think pdx blacklisting him (if they have) is because of an isolated incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I watched 4 minutes of that video and if I made a game and wanted people to buy it and someone made a video like that I would ask them to go away forever please too.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
He always struck me as one of those streamers that rarely seems like they're actually having fun, which is very unpleasant to watch.

BudgetMonk is going the same way, he streams EU constantly and almost always bitches about it. I guess that's a catch-22 of being able to make streaming your only source of income. You can't walk away if you burn out and get bored or frustrated. Compare him to the other huge EU4 streamer florryworry, who has a day job and mostly remains chill and cheerful.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yea Paradox games have a definite burnout point, at least for single player. Most games do I'd imagine.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

He could still play PDX games, but he’s too big of a youtube gamer celeb now not to be on the recognized stars/early beta access. loving hell, I remember him getting a few hundred views not that long ago. gently caress him.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah I got into ck2 in no small part because of him, but gradually these games became his career and he would exclusively focus on EU4 and he got more and more whiny. Like I suppose I get it if it's your job, you'll come to resent stuff, but he just became insufferable after he found out wiz watched his videos or they talked or something, therefore he had a way to voice his stuff directly to Paradox, making him whine all the harder.

I guess given the way I've seen strategy gamers get blacklisted, he should be thankful it's because he's such a whiner instead of him being outed as being a racist or something.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
Funny you should mention that, apparently he's run into trouble before with Twitch for excessive use of Gamer Words

https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/egcymw/what_is_going_on_with_arumba/

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I was about to post about that time he streamed the preview copy of Stellaris: Apocalypse and got extremely mad and angry for like 2 hours because he failed to read tooltips correctly. I used to watch Arumba but he really just isn't fun to watch anymore, he's just a huge downer. I don't think pdx blacklisting him (if they have) is because of an isolated incident.

i genuinely don't know how anyone could watch his stuff once you cotton on to the whole "feels so pressured by having to talk constantly on stream that he just does not read" thing, even setting aside the whining. reading is sort of important in a paradox game

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

On the bright side, Arumba's Factorio let's plays are fun to watch because he isn't rushing it and usually plays it with a friend.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Alchenar posted:

I watched 4 minutes of that video and if I made a game and wanted people to buy it and someone made a video like that I would ask them to go away forever please too.

Yeah pretty much this. The "fallout" from this is that he stops making videos about Paradox games, which seems like a net win for them at this point.

Also lol that he's so butthurt because he's lost his previous *exclusive access*. They haven't banned him from playing their games or anything. They just got sick of having to deal with him.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Ready! Set! Blow! posted:

Funny you should mention that, apparently he's run into trouble before with Twitch for excessive use of Gamer Words

https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/egcymw/what_is_going_on_with_arumba/

Every loving time.

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/741904787361300481?lang=en

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

He always struck me as one of those streamers that rarely seems like they're actually having fun, which is very unpleasant to watch.

BudgetMonk is going the same way, he streams EU constantly and almost always bitches about it. I guess that's a catch-22 of being able to make streaming your only source of income. You can't walk away if you burn out and get bored or frustrated. Compare him to the other huge EU4 streamer florryworry, who has a day job and mostly remains chill and cheerful.

This is definitely a pattern with streamers - I remember seeing a thing a while ago about a fortnite streamer who eventually just got sick of the game, but worried that if he stopped playing it he'd lose his audience, and how miserable it was making him. Turns out that when you make your hobby into a job, no matter how much you enjoyed the hobby originally, you will learn to hate it.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is definitely a pattern with streamers - I remember seeing a thing a while ago about a fortnite streamer who eventually just got sick of the game, but worried that if he stopped playing it he'd lose his audience, and how miserable it was making him. Turns out that when you make your hobby into a job, no matter how much you enjoyed the hobby originally, you will learn to hate it.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AwkwardOilyDeerBudStar
https://clips.twitch.tv/AffluentTalentedHawkWoofer

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That actually reminds me of the last Arumba stream I watched, where he was talking about how his kids wanted him to quit streaming for the day but they didn't understand it was his job and they needed him to do it which,

just god, that's depressing.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I feel like the smart twitch streamers have just fully transitioned into being talk show hosts with the occasional game stream with Hasan being the prime example of this

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Every time I hear about how Arumba's miserable, got divorced, has issues with kids, etc., it really does seem to play on the theme that quitting his full time job was a mistake.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

In a shocking turn of events, Arumba is maybe not telling the story entirely unbiased

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TheFlyingLlama posted:

In a shocking turn of events, Arumba is maybe not telling the story entirely unbiased

Lol, of course that weird bug report video being the reason didn't add up at all

What a piece of poo poo

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TheFlyingLlama posted:

this reminds me that i havent seen Groogy post here in a while.... I hope he wasnt driven off somehow :/

Groogy is the best and I love him; I cant believe anyone would defame is great name.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

this reminds me that i havent seen Groogy post here in a while.... I hope he wasnt driven off somehow :/

Groogy is the best and I love him; I cant believe anyone would defame is great name.

half the user base has hosed off to other forums since lowtax had his little ragefit. i wouldn't be surprised if many official company workers found it in their best interest to not associate with this place anymore.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Yeah but how about that TNO tho

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Groogy single-handedly saved CK2.

(I wouldn't be surprised if some devs are not posting because of last minute crunch on the CK3 release)

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Isn't it currently the Swedish Month Off too?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It is yeah, and for the last dev diary neondt was saying he's among the few in the office.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I had the pleasure of meeting Groogy and going for drinks with him during the first PDX Con and I thought his grasp of English was completely solid and fluent, and I had no trouble communicating with him. He also seemed to be very friendly. It was a great time! Sad to see that Arumba would attack him in such a manner.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I had the pleasure of meeting Groogy and going for drinks with him during the first PDX Con and I thought his grasp of English was completely solid and fluent, and I had no trouble communicating with him. He also seemed to be very friendly. It was a great time! Sad to see that Arumba would attack him in such a manner.

Yeah his English is fine :shrug:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Groogy is Danish however and deserves all the scorn we get for that.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Eimi posted:

I guess given the way I've seen strategy gamers get blacklisted, he should be thankful it's because he's such a whiner instead of him being outed as being a racist or something.

Yeah, you say that but the last time I watched him he was saying how the people who were coming to pick up his kids later would probably be late or not turn up because they were Puerto Ricans and that's just what they're like. Paraphrasing but I figured I'd stop watching him at that point.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
what does being blacklisted mean?

e: vvvv ah ok, thanks

fuf fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 21, 2020

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

fuf posted:

what does being blacklisted mean?

No early review copies.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Stairmaster posted:

Yeah but how about that TNO tho

Can it be midnight already?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's only been a few people, but some posters in the paradox threads, including in this thread here, have been pretty goddamn lovely towards the paradox staff. No point in hanging around a forum if they're just gonna be openly hostile.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Vichan posted:

Can it be midnight already?

what am I looking at?

e: oh I guess it's this hoi4 mod https://www.reddit.com/r/TNOmod/

fuf fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 21, 2020

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

That reddit sub looks like it's just a mod devoted to creating dumb memes?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Minenfeld! posted:

That reddit sub looks like it's just a mod devoted to creating dumb memes?

That's Reddit for you. Almost every subreddit without a 'no memes' rules turns into a cesspool.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
It's a very bizarre mod about a world where the Axis won WWII and includes events like the French can get an event chain that ends with them destroying all possible industry and technology and living as cavemen, or poo poo like how there's 300 different events describing different ways noted SS war criminal Oskar Dirlewanger dies, all of which are hilariously painful and/or embarrassing. To do this it sacrifices things like "good UI", "sanity", and "good game design" and honestly the worldbuilding is more fun than the mod will ever be.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Don Gato posted:

It's a very bizarre mod about a world where the Axis won WWII and includes events like the French can get an event chain that ends with them destroying all possible industry and technology and living as cavemen, or poo poo like how there's 300 different events describing different ways noted SS war criminal Oskar Dirlewanger dies, all of which are hilariously painful and/or embarrassing. To do this it sacrifices things like "good UI", "sanity", and "good game design" and honestly the worldbuilding is more fun than the mod will ever be.

The bolded part is not TNO but the Red Flood mod.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's only been a few people, but some posters in the paradox threads, including in this thread here, have been pretty goddamn lovely towards the paradox staff. No point in hanging around a forum if they're just gonna be openly hostile.

Better to go to the Paradox forum eh :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

You're not wrong, but I cant imagine Reddit or any other forum is any better. Most places are cesspits full of entitled whiny children, many of which are also full of fash to boot. SA has its own issues but it at least keeps the fash under control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Even on their worst day these forums are better than quite a few of the other big Paradox communities out there. But yeah, sometimes you just need to take some time off from being the public face of the corporation (some have also moved on to other companies). For what it's worth, I've never heard any of the goon devs say that they no longer feel welcome here.