Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i dont think i even noticed the wing passage when i read the books, i just parsed the whole thing as "it's a demon" and read on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Radio! posted:

Compromise: the balrog has one wing, Honda Civic style

:rice:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
one wing to wule them all

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

We don't even know how much a balrog weighs, so that makes it hard to come to any conclusions on the load of the wings.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is it an African or European balrog?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Are you suggesting Balrogs migrate?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Here are more quotes about the Balrogs and wings: http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Balrogs/Wings

I like this one

quote:

Some think the strongest objection is the simplest: that taking references like the second statement seriously mean that all lines must be taken literally. For example, shortly before the Balrog's appearance, "Gandalf came flying down the steps and fell to the ground in the midst of the Company."

So perhaps Gandalf had wings too.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Well fans repeatedly compare his kind to angels.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

What realy gets my goat is vampires.first age, vampires, then 0 vampires.
The only conclusion is that Arda in the second age had way more right angles.

Yeah I wish there were vampires in Lord of the Rings. Would be pretty funny to see Tolkien haggle his way through all the vampire folklore and cultural ideas about them.

I've only read the Silmarillion so I don't know if he wrote much about them in the other stuff like Book of Lost Tales or whatever.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Thuringwethil isn’t in BOLT. In fact I’m not sure where the character came from originally. In the Lay of Leithian it’s just a fake name that Luthien makes up on the spot to try and con Morgoth. (meaning “secret shadow woman”, smooth one Luthien)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Fly, you fools" came his last cry out of the depths, and the Fellowship took wing and soared out the East-gate.

e: lol googling this apparently tons of people are super confused about this and think he meant they should call the Eagles or something

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 21, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah I wish there were vampires in Lord of the Rings. Would be pretty funny to see Tolkien haggle his way through all the vampire folklore and cultural ideas about them.

I've only read the Silmarillion so I don't know if he wrote much about them in the other stuff like Book of Lost Tales or whatever.

I liked that one of his original ideas for the "Hobbit sequel" was that Bilbo would go wandering in the woods and end up in "a witch house"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tree Bucket posted:

Well, to quote Tolkien himself, from the introduction to the Sil:

"I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and sexy Shelob."

Tolkien didn't realize the future artists inheriting his work would be the ones who think great art is best seen painted on the side of a van

Runcible Cat posted:

Iluvatar can presumably bestow a soul on whatever it wants; maybe it has occasional fits of generosity and randomly hands out souls like lottery wins. Hi tree! You get a soul! Good doggie! You get a soul! Nice rock! You get a soul too, why the hell not!

Yeah this is literally how the Dwarves got souls. Aule made them but they were automata, got discovered by Illuvatar, immediately begged forgiveness and lifted his hammer to destroy them repenting his hubris, suddenly they're moving on their own, Illuvatar interceding.

quote:

I thought Ents were created by - Yavanna? as tree-herds? Though I suppose that runs into the no-soul problem. Hey Iluvatar, you gave Aule's dwarves souls, stop being a dick and soul up my tree people too!

Old Man Willow is presumably an old and nasty Huorn - left behind by the Entwives when they moved north of the Shire to be spotted by occasional drunks?

And Caradhras is implied to be aware and antagonistic on some level as well.

Oh you know this already yeah. There's a passage somewhere about how when the Valar and Maiar came into Middle-Earth there were already local spirits. But then after all Catholicism doesn't deny the existence of other deities or spirits, just says don't worship them.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'll defend the Jackson Balrog because that is one of the best vfx designs ever created.

It's a great design but it's pretty much exactly what you would expect Hollywood to make a balrog look like. Which is fine.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 21, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Are you suggesting Balrogs migrate?

Not at all! They could hear Lammoth!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

skasion posted:

Thuringwethil isn’t in BOLT. In fact I’m not sure where the character came from originally. In the Lay of Leithian it’s just a fake name that Luthien makes up on the spot to try and con Morgoth. (meaning “secret shadow woman”, smooth one Luthien)

Smoother than Beren and Felagund calling themselves Nereb and Dungalef, at least....

I'm not convinced Thuringwethil's meant to be a vampire in the bloodsucking sense rather than just OMG a humongous bat. But in what we have she only exists so Luthien can dress up in her skin.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah just a big bat.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

My impression is that they can't be very common at all. To tie it back to a previous conversation, Balrogs don't have wings (besides the text in Fellowship) because its seen as a big change in terms of the war when Morgoth manages to create flying dragons, as he finally has something that can contest the eagles. However, Sauron, in vampire form, is very clearly described as having pinions. His flight from Huan takes place before winged dragons are created, iirc, so it stands to reason that any vampire cadre/force/existence can't muster as significant military force, either from individual power or from numbers.

Also they barely feature; existing as a form Sauron takes to flee a fight and as Sauron's messenger Thuringwethil. They have throats and non-metaphorical pinions, are fast in flight, and are presumably rare. Also, given Thuringwethil's name, maybe some kind of recognizably human-shaped...thing. I'm more inclined to think "giant loving bat" and leave it at that. Calling everything that's weird and rare a Maia seems a bit much, but they maybe fall into the "below a Maia, above the random tree spirits that keep cropping up" area?

e: Come to think of it, probably analogous to Werewolves, which as far as I recall are just giant, intelligent, evil-spirited wolves, distinct from both wolves and wargs. Also, both associated with Sauron.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 21, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you want an extra credit project explain the ghost wolves that attack the fellowship near Eregion

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

Smoother than Beren and Felagund calling themselves Nereb and Dungalef, at least....

Yeah no wonder Frodo made it to Mt Doom, after the poo poo he put up with from the heroes of elder days Sauron was probably expecting him to march up to Minas Morgul and introduce himself to Angmar as Dorfo Snagbig

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ravenfood posted:

Also they barely feature; existing as a form Sauron takes to flee a fight and as Sauron's messenger Thuringwethil. They have throats and non-metaphorical pinions, are fast in flight, and are presumably rare. Also, given Thuringwethil's name, maybe some kind of recognizably human-shaped...thing. I'm more inclined to think "giant loving bat" and leave it at that. Calling everything that's weird and rare a Maia seems a bit much, but they maybe fall into the "below a Maia, above the random tree spirits that keep cropping up" area?

e: Come to think of it, probably analogous to Werewolves, which as far as I recall are just giant, intelligent, evil-spirited wolves, distinct from both wolves and wargs. Also, both associated with Sauron.

Beren and Luthien dress up in someone's wolfskin (unnamed AFAIR) and Thuringwethil's bat-fell and explicitly change shape, so it seems like werewolves/vampires are humans with magical skins - made by someone? Sauron? It could be a variant on the werewolf legend of "you can make a deal with the devil to be a werewolf" - get in with Sauron, let him know you want to be a big nasty magical wolf and he might give you a present. He loooves giving people presents!

(Sauron can change his own shape, but he's a high-level Maiar. Maybe Thuringwethil was the bat-fell beta-tester.)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

someone's wolfskin (unnamed AFAIR)

Draugluin

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

skasion posted:

Draugluin

Right, thanks. But anyway, the implication seems to be that they were skins for transforming men/elves, so rather than werewolves being a separate species/creation/sub-Maiar spirit thing they're assholes who could change back into people if they wanted but like being big scary monster wolves.

(Or it's another of Sauron's Annatar pranks - you put 'em on, you can't take 'em off. Or maybe after a while you don't want to.)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Runcible Cat posted:

Beren and Luthien dress up in someone's wolfskin (unnamed AFAIR) and Thuringwethil's bat-fell and explicitly change shape, so it seems like werewolves/vampires are humans with magical skins - made by someone? Sauron? It could be a variant on the werewolf legend of "you can make a deal with the devil to be a werewolf" - get in with Sauron, let him know you want to be a big nasty magical wolf and he might give you a present. He loooves giving people presents!

(Sauron can change his own shape, but he's a high-level Maiar. Maybe Thuringwethil was the bat-fell beta-tester.)

Draugluin, and while Beren and Luthien change shape, we never see werewolves in anything but wolf-shape. Werewolves also breed other werewolves (Draugluin is Carcharoth's sire).

euphronius posted:

If you want an extra credit project explain the ghost wolves that attack the fellowship near Eregion
They're wargs. Who are some kind of evil wolf spirit distinct from werewolves and wolves. Also, I don't recall ever hearing the term wargriders, at least en masse. I think we only see wolf-riders, though Gandalf notes that wargs will occasionally deign to be ridden by goblins. I think wargs are malevolent, minor spirits shaped like wolves who largely operate independently, while wolves are both wolves as we know them and enslaved mounts for various armies. How wargs are materially different from werewolves I don't know except the way they're described its pretty clear that werewolves are significantly more powerful.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 21, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The closest we get to a definition of werewolves in Tolkien is in the Beren and Luthien bit in the QS, “fell beasts inhabited by dreadful spirits that he [Sauron] had imprisoned in their bodies”. Draugluin is also described as “sire of the werewolves of Angband”. So it seems like they were ghosts? lesser spirits of Melkor’s party? It sure doesn’t seem like they can change back and forth so I would have to lean towards the former — maybe this is one of those necromantic things Sauron does offscreen.

skasion fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 21, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

Wolves that were smart enough to carry away their dead.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i dont think the vala-maia-elves-humans categories were ever intended to cover every living being

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Meat is always on the menu for the smart, entrepeneur wolf.

Yeah, i dont think vampires are anithing more than bat-like monster.
I just feel cheated of a "what is a man?a miserable pile of secrets" quote.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

i dont think the vala-maia-elves-humans categories were ever intended to cover every living being

I kinda like to imagine Eru just sort of absentmindedly humming and singing nonsense about trees or rocks, and little spirits just pop into existence and wander down into Arda.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
What about giants? Giants seem to exist in the Hobbit but aren't mentioned afterwards. Gandalf even mentions possibly enlisting the help of a friendly giant to block up some of the cave entrances the Goblins use to cause mischief.

Beorn is also kinda weird too since he's not a spirit. He grows old and dies, and he has kids. But changing into a bear is a weird rear end trick that would seem...spiritual in origin. So Beorn must have something weird in his bloodline somewhere that gives his line that ability.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I’ll be honest; my favorite parts of Tolkien lore is probably where things are a bit unclear.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like my abomination Spider monstrosity from beyond comprehension who eats trees.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Data Graham posted:

"Fly, you fools" came his last cry out of the depths, and the Fellowship took wing and soared out the East-gate.

e: lol googling this apparently tons of people are super confused about this and think he meant they should call the Eagles or something
I think this is in turn a tongue in cheek way to address the common complaint of Why Didn't They Just Take The Eagles *cinema sins noise*

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Can you have spoilers in a 65 year old book?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Runcible Cat posted:

OFFICER: Lieutenant! Why is the regimental radio broken!?
TOLKIEN: It wasn't me, sir! It was, um- Neiklot! Yeah!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

I think this is in turn a tongue in cheek way to address the common complaint of Why Didn't They Just Take The Eagles *cinema sins noise*

It was a tongue in cheek way to address it but then people took it seriously.

This is why "the eagles were a coverup to avoid admitting they were ransomed by orcs" is better.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

reignonyourparade posted:

It was a tongue in cheek way to address it but then people took it seriously.

This is why "the eagles were a coverup to avoid admitting they were ransomed by orcs" is better.
I never heard that one, is there an official nerd theory post on it? I'm imagining something like 'some orc and his bros find the two of them laying on the hill outside the volcano, sell them to Aragorn for either a chest of jewels or a square mile on the coast of Nurn'

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

I never heard that one, is there an official nerd theory post on it? I'm imagining something like 'some orc and his bros find the two of them laying on the hill outside the volcano, sell them to Aragorn for either a chest of jewels or a square mile on the coast of Nurn'

Basically, though somewhat more extensive than that, that MOST of the mentions of the eagles outside of the vicinity of the Misty Mountains are actually about orcs. It's from this Elise the Great in this very thread.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Stupid sexy Entwives

https://twitter.com/pintswithjack/status/1285721301986967552

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Eowyn's witty nom de guerre was Dernhelm. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarnhelm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ginette Reno posted:

What about giants? Giants seem to exist in the Hobbit but aren't mentioned afterwards. Gandalf even mentions possibly enlisting the help of a friendly giant to block up some of the cave entrances the Goblins use to cause mischief.

Beorn is also kinda weird too since he's not a spirit. He grows old and dies, and he has kids. But changing into a bear is a weird rear end trick that would seem...spiritual in origin. So Beorn must have something weird in his bloodline somewhere that gives his line that ability.

Egil's Saga, my favorite of the Icelandic sagas, opens with a description of a guy. Part of the description is that his grandfather was a "bear-sark", (loosely transliterated). Most translations render this as "berserk" but one I have just straight up says "his grandfather was a were-bear".

I suspect Beorn comes out of that tradition. Turning into a bear is just a thing Beorn knows how to do. But it's still a kid's story, so not a mean bear, a nice bear who likes hunny.