Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Invites expired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
https://discord.gg/C5Z9tp

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Thank you

As for these forums, Sic transit mundus

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!
https://youtu.be/KJvxX8v95yY

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

He looks good, better than some of the shows in the latest run.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-events/vault-4-weeks-jeopardy-milestones

We're getting some classic Jeopardy over the next 4 weeks instead of reruns of recent episodes.

I haven't tuned in nightly for quite awhile now and I've been missing it, but I'll definitely be coming back for these!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jokymi posted:

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-events/vault-4-weeks-jeopardy-milestones

We're getting some classic Jeopardy over the next 4 weeks instead of reruns of recent episodes.

I haven't tuned in nightly for quite awhile now and I've been missing it, but I'll definitely be coming back for these!

:yossame:

I turned it on last night to see what was happening, saw James and watched Family Feud instead

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Trebek profiled in the NYT as his book is about to come out. This link is unlocked!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/17/...QSpBtTE56pgvJsx

Of note:

quote:

After some encouraging news from doctors last year, Trebek’s prognosis has worsened. If his current course of cancer treatment fails, he plans to stop treatment, he said.

:smith:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

zakharov posted:

Trebek profiled in the NYT as his book is about to come out. This link is unlocked!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/17/...QSpBtTE56pgvJsx

Of note:

:smith:
He also put out a video yesterday saying that "treatment is paying off" so maybe the article was written before the latest round?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJvxX8v95yY

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mordja posted:

He also put out a video yesterday saying that "treatment is paying off" so maybe the article was written before the latest round?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJvxX8v95yY

It's Stage 4 pancreatic cancer, no matter what it's a death sentence.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

quote:

Wed., July 29 Jeff Probst, Charles Barkley, Martha Stewart

That's ... that's a combination.

I have a memory of Jason Alexander doing well in (a dumbed down) nuclear physics category on Celebrity Jeopardy. What they need to do, though, is replay the Wolf Blitzer appearance.

Highlights

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The Kevin O'Leary one is the one I want to see, but I doubt that made the cut.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

This is wild, everyone looks wet and the audience reacting to each response is so weird.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

This is wild, everyone looks wet and the audience reacting to each response is so weird.

also the ringing for every clue/buzz in

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I love this. Look at all those old-rear end TVs. :allears:

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Is this playing at 1.25x speed?

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Everything looks so chintzy - I love it. They should go back to this look.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

The writing screen for final was barely legible I wonder how long they had to play like that

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The schedule:

quote:

JULY 20-24: Best of Jeopardy!’s First Decade
Mon., July 20 First Jeopardy! Episode
Tue., July 21 First Jeopardy! Surprise Ending
Wed., July 22 First Super Champion: Chuck Forrest
Thu., July 23 First $100,000 Champion: Frank Spangenberg
Fri., July 24 First Big Tournament Final: 10th Anniversary

JULY 27-31: Best of Celebrity Jeopardy!
Mon., July 27 Carol Burnett, Regis Philbin, Donna Mills
Tue., July 28 Jodie Foster, Nathan Lane, Harry Connick Jr.
Wed., July 29 Jeff Probst, Charles Barkley, Martha Stewart
Thu., July 30 Wayne Brady, Dana Delany, Eric Idle
Fri., July 31 Michael McKean, Cheech Marin, Jane Curtin

AUGUST 3-7: Million Dollar Masters Quarterfinals
AUGUST 10-12: Million Dollar Masters Semifinals
AUGUST 13-14: Million Dollar Masters Finals

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Can't believe Wolf Blitzer didn't make the "best of celebrity jeopardy" cut

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

you broke my grill posted:

Can't believe Wolf Blitzer didn't make the "best of celebrity jeopardy" cut

And I think there was one where Stephen King destroyed everyone

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Honestly, I like Classic Jeopardy - the set, the music - a lot better than modern Jeopardy. I'd missed the classic Jeopardy theme and think music. The only mildly annoying thing was the audience reacting to every little thing with either applause or exaggerated "Oohs!". I had forgotten how bad '80s and '90s game shows were for that.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
Alex actually sounds like a game show host.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Tokelau All Star posted:

Is this playing at 1.25x speed?

I think so. Everyone sounded like they were on cocaine. Plus, they didn't even come close the clearing either board, which seems to indicate the game was a lot slower when it originally aired.

The biggest change for me was how vague many of the clues were.

It's going to be fun watching the changes in the classic episodes. My parents were glued to Jeopardy each and every night by 1988 and I can recall some of the stuff changing, but not when. The categories weren't a secret each round for probably the first decade when they upgraded the effects.

Of course there is a Jeopardy history wiki

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 21, 2020

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/TheThomason/status/1285395701367623680

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That was a fun look at the past.

"Lois and our Third Place Contestant"

"So what's it like being a newlywed? Sure took you a long time, huh?"

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
That balloon trick caught me off guard. I imagine he cleared it with the producers first, but I can't even imagine something like that happening today.

Alex's reaction is pretty much exactly what I would have expected, though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Honestly, I like Classic Jeopardy - the set, the music - a lot better than modern Jeopardy. I'd missed the classic Jeopardy theme and think music. The only mildly annoying thing was the audience reacting to every little thing with either applause or exaggerated "Oohs!". I had forgotten how bad '80s and '90s game shows were for that.

It was superior especially the clue populating sounds.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

It was superior especially the clue populating sounds.

Yes! I missed the old "board fill" sound. The modern one sounds like a ringtone.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I was surprised at how they let all those FJ answers through. One guy just straight-up named the dude and not the holiday, and MLK's birthday is not the third Monday in January every year although I guess since that's what it's celebrating that might be allowed today?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm picturing Alex looking for a judge and a sweaty stagehand frantically making the "wrap it up" sign

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
What did Alex say when the last person revealed their FJ wager? I thought he said "chicken," but that can't be right.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
He did indeed say, "You chicken!" right before forgetting the third player's name. :lol:

I also noticed that he read the Double Jeopardy categories slower. I'm gonna bet somebody gave that note during the commercial break, what with how the camera couldn't keep up with him reading the first round of categories.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
That daily double screen was pure :effort: I'm glad the fixed that up and gave us the cool jingle eventually.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm just glad the "applause or audience reactions after every single clue" went away. I wonder how long it took for that to become the new norm, and whether it was instruction given to the audience or if that just naturally developed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Yes! I missed the old "board fill" sound. The modern one sounds like a ringtone.

Yeah it sucks. It's been around for so long but my brain still registers the original as the proper one.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah it sucks. It's been around for so long but my brain still registers the original as the proper one.

:yossame:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Groovelord Neato posted:

:same:

I think everyone who’s a longtime viewer of Jeopardy does.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Lol, Trebek assuming the professions were wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Lol Paul with the record for buzzing in and blanking