Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I completely forgot about Valdis. It was one of the first successful metroidvanias. I think I'm still stuck on the final boss, that game is pretty loving demanding, it pulls no punches

Try Record of Lodoss War: Wonder Labyrinth when you get a chance to. It's early access, the game is a mix of Symphony of the night 2.0 with an Ikaruga Wind/Fire mechanic.

First minutes into the game you can already fly, and you can attack in all eight directions like Simon in Castlevania 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Out of my 124 game steam library Valdis Story is the only game I paid money for and did not to some degree finish. I can't even watch the five or so videos of bosses on youtube because people are dealing eight times more damage than I am for some reason and the game is such a chore to navigate and to do anything in that I don't even know how to get stronger. The last boss I fought had a bunch of adds which made this even more annoying and I can't stand the way Wyatt starts humping anything he attacks. Conceptually there's nothing wrong with the combat system being about getting as many attacks in as you can then using the dodge input at the right time but there's just something that isn't working for me.

I've put WL on my wishlist and will for sure keep an eye on it.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 21, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

poo poo I forgot about Iconoclasts, I didn't play more than like an hour of that

TOO MANY GAMES :gibs:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

baba is you was brought up, and then metroidvanias were brought up later, but nobody brought up the metroidvania made by baba is you dev, environmental station alpha

https://store.steampowered.com/app/350070/Environmental_Station_Alpha/

(a sequel is in development too)

other metroidvanias that are solid:

yoku's island express - pinball metroidvania, BARELY fits the definition of the genre, but i really enjoyed it
bloodstained - iga's good new game, it is weird looking but at this point that no longer scares me away from metroidvanias
timespinner - one of the few SOTN-likes on this list
super panda adventures (despite looking like a 90s apogee game)
supraland - first person open world game that does have some ability gating, and backtracking often rewards you with big time upgrades
gato roboto - fun little 2-3 hour metroidvania where you're a cat in a mech
ghost 1.0 - the only good game by this dev
a robot named fight - a roguelite that actually abides by metroidvania rules, cribs a bit too much from super metroid
alwa's awakening - puzzlevania, has the room by room feel of an old spectrum game but with metroidvania design
aggelos - wonder boy with a side of zelda 2
after death - quirky one where you're a skeleton in a death world, lots of punching, interesting takes on typical metroidvania abilities

games that aren't really metroidvanias (no/little ability gating) but encourage exploration and are solid:
knytt underground - really moody, one of nifflas' best games imo
vvvvvv - i think everyone's played this by this point
full bore - open world block pushing puzzle game, you can pretty much go in any direction and solve puzzles
strider 2014 (backtracking is only for collectables) - super fast sword slicing action
broken reality - first person walking sim in an abandoned MMO
odallus the dark call (really minor ability gating for alternate paths) - very NES castlevania, by the Oniken/Blazing Chrome dev
hue, the swapper (games where upgrades are to the same mechanic)

games i wouldn't recommend regardless of whether they're metroidvanias or not:
rogue legacy - not a metroidvania and also just not very good, the grind sucks, floaty jumping, randomized room-by-room design makes no sense
unepic - obnoxiously unfunny, ghost 1.0 is a lot better
apotheon - large areas but not metroidvania, felt the combat was really sluggish and tedious
valdis story - this one IS a metroidvania but i didn't like the air damage that stunlocks you, in a game with a lot of platforming
aerannis - heavily problematic game with a gamergate cameo in it

games that are given the metroidvania tag on steam for no reason:

seraph - this is just a roguelite?? it's a cool game but there's nothing metroidvania or even exploratory about it
the vagrant - unless something changes after the first few hours, this is just a vanillaware style sidescrolling action game with some areas restricted by the story
ICEY - this is a stanley parable-esque game, are we going to start calling twine games metroidvanias???
my night job - this is just an arcade game, basically a defense game.. what are we doing here
dracula: love kills - THIS IS A HIDDEN OBJECT GAME.. YALL???? hey guys heres a cool metroidvania it's called Day of the Tentacle. what the gently caress. take tags away from steam users

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 21, 2020

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Iconoclasts had a really long story, kinda weird one, too. The gameplay was OK. If you haven't played some of the generally better reviewed metroidvanias, I would skip it for now.

I couldn't really get into Environmental Station Alpha but I wish I could. I know it's absolutely huge and full of secrets but it could have used a tiny bit QoL features to identify where to go next because I spent hours wandering there and back and eventually giving up.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Other good Metroidvanias:
Shadow Complex
Yoku's Island Express

Headlander is pretty interesting even if the gameplay isn't anything special.
(e. that wasn't a good choice of words. What I meant to say is that the gameplay is pretty interesting and unique, but not particularly fun or exciting. A solid 3/5 stars game)

Kennel fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 21, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
blasphemous is getting what looks to be an extremely thorough content update with a spanish voice track, which i will be using if only to avoid crisanta's english VA

the rest of the english voices are fine! crisanta's, very not fine!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Salt and Sanctuary is also effectively a metroidvania game, although by way of Dark Souls difficulty.

No Wave posted:

Metroidvanias I've played on steam ranked:

1.) Hollow Knight
2.) Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
3.) Rabi-Ribi (warning: lewd anime art)
4.) Touhou: Luna Nights (probably ranked this high because of the soundtrack and because it made me actually go back and beat some mainline touhou games)
5.) Sundered
6.) Blasphemous (mostly for the art)
7.) Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (I find combat awkward but the last two power ups are very fun)
8.) Ori1
9.) Gato Roboto
10.) Valdis Story: Abyssal City

The only one of these I wouldn't actually recommend is Valdis Story. I played Cave Story ages back but not on steam. Besides Ori2 I don't know what next one I should play.
I'd personally rank Valdis Story a lot higher than that and Rabi-Ribi a lot lower, if only for how skeevy it made me feel when I tried to play it. Valdis is a very big and expansive game with multiple characters and while it has some frustrating elements, I really got into it once it really started going. The combat is one of the better around, it's a brawler much like Guacamelee is and you can pull off some impressive combos once you start mastering it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
A few others to look into:

- Headlander
- Alwa's Awakening (and the newly released sequel which I have not actually played)
- Mini Ghost (this was in the itch bundle) and its bigger sibling, Ghost 1.0 (have not played that one personally)
- Treasure Adventure World
- Super Panda Adventures (this is way way better than it appears... or at least it was when I played it in 2014; maybe in 2020 it's not as good anymore)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

anilEhilated posted:

My recommendation would be Aquaria, even if it is not a typical platformer. Has a really kickass soundtrack too (...and you won't be supporting the problematic composer anymore).

Man, I like Aquaria so much. Just love underwater games in general, shame we'll never get a sequel.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Aquaria is absolutely a metroidvania game, too. Sure, you swim instead of jumping or climbing, but it's all about exploration and movement skills anyway. It's a wonderful game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Glare Seethe posted:

- Mini Ghost (this was in the itch bundle) and its bigger sibling, Ghost 1.0 (have not played that one personally)

Ghost 1.0 is a very good game and definitely worth checking out.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I wouldn't call Iconoclasts a Metroidvania, or at least not a good Metroidvania, just because the stuff you can collect by re-exploring is pretty lame and doesn't change much about how you play.

The La Mulanas are two very good games in the genre but obviously not for everyone.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'd call the La-Mulana games practically a genre of their own. They're as much puzzlers as they are open-world platformers, more so really. They're absolutely great, but they're not what you will want or expect if you go into them knowing nothing about them except that someone called them a metroidvania game.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

ZearothK posted:

Man, I like Aquaria so much. Just love underwater games in general, shame we'll never get a sequel.

Breaking the Veil is one of my Top 5 gaming moments.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Kennel posted:

Other good Metroidvanias:
Shadow Complex
Yoku's Island Express

Headlander is pretty interesting even if the gameplay isn't anything special.
I couldn't stand Yoku and refunded it after an hour. I don't meant to criticize the game, it just wasn't for me. I'll take a look at Shadow Complex.

Glare Seethe posted:

A few others to look into:

- Headlander
- Alwa's Awakening (and the newly released sequel which I have not actually played)
- Treasure Adventure World
- Super Panda Adventures (this is way way better than it appears... or at least it was when I played it in 2014; maybe in 2020 it's not as good anymore)
I'd only heard of Alwa's. I'll take a look - thanks!

Oxxidation posted:

blasphemous is getting what looks to be an extremely thorough content update with a spanish voice track, which i will be using if only to avoid crisanta's english VA

The other english voice acting in Blasphemous is reaaaaally good.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I really liked what I played of Ori but got frustrated with a sequence where I have to redirect a projectile 5 times to open a door and never picked it back up again.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Glare Seethe posted:

So, I'm fairly sure this deserves an explanation: Super Panda Adventure was as outdated in 2014 as it is in 2020. If it existed then, it would be outdated in 1998.
It's still fun despite being really ugly.

Speaking of kinda sorta metroidvanias that are much better than they appear: Super Daryl Deluxe is a beat'em'up/rpg/platformer with a metroidvania-style progression (i.e., a persistent world map that gradually opens up) and it's one hell of a ride. Definitely one of my favorite underrated games on Steam.

Also, someone mentioned Full Bore - if you at all like puzzle(vania) games, play Full Bore. It's dirt cheap and very, very fun.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

So, I'm fairly sure this deserves an explanation: Super Panda Adventure was as outdated in 2014 as it is in 2020. If it existed then, it would be outdated in 1998.

Wow, no kidding. Looks like a cross between Commander Keen and Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I would love a Metroidvania version of Spelunky

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

:emptyquote:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Any quirks I should know about with joysticks? I picked up a logi attack 3 at a thrift store a couple years back and I finally bought Air Missions: Hind during the summer sale so I went to give it a try. Chopper just leans left and explodes before I can take off every time. I went into game controllers and nothing in there suggests there is any idle or rogue movement, calibrated fine but same thing.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Cardiovorax posted:

I'd call the La-Mulana games practically a genre of their own. They're as much puzzlers as they are open-world platformers, more so really. They're absolutely great, but they're not what you will want or expect if you go into them knowing nothing about them except that someone called them a metroidvania game.

La-Mulana is more like a metroidstrainya.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

codo27 posted:

Any quirks I should know about with joysticks? I picked up a logi attack 3 at a thrift store a couple years back and I finally bought Air Missions: Hind during the summer sale so I went to give it a try. Chopper just leans left and explodes before I can take off every time. I went into game controllers and nothing in there suggests there is any idle or rogue movement, calibrated fine but same thing.

Do you have any other controllers hooked up? If so try disabling/removing them.
Maybe try installing the software from Logitech, that stick is fairly old: https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024840213--Downloads-Attack-3-Joystick

Try it with one of the free games like Rise of Flight or War Thunder and see if the issue is unique to Air Mission.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 21, 2020

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I just finished Yoku's Island Express and it was really lovely. I played a lot of pinball games as a kid so it was nice to use those muscles again. It actually does something really interesting that I don't remember seeing in a Metroidvania before: a truly seamless map, with no screen transitions or loading screens. And taking advantage of that is the most fun fast travel system I've ever seen: a massive series of Donkey Kong-style barrel cannons that launch you all across the map. And you have full control of the cannons, too, so you can find some secrets by dropping out of the cannon series halfway through.

Are there any other Metroidvanias with a seamless map like Yoku? If there are I haven't played them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

La-Mulana is more like a metroidstrainya.
:wal::stat: Ohohohohohohoho!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The 7th Guest posted:

dracula: love kills - THIS IS A HIDDEN OBJECT GAME.. YALL???? hey guys heres a cool metroidvania it's called Day of the Tentacle. what the gently caress. take tags away from steam users
I guess technically you do get tools as part of game progression that enable you to unlock previously visited areas of the game for progress and secrets.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Star Wars: The Old Republic is on Steam now

ngl I'll probably give it a try because I completely forgot this game existed and its not like I have to worry about a time sink right now

Orv
May 4, 2011

Samuringa posted:

ngl I'll probably give it a try because I completely forgot this game existed and its not like I have to worry about a time sink right now

It's a solid entry as a KOTOR 3 (and 4, 5, etc). Not all the class stories are the same quality and the fight on which are good and which are bad is long-standing even amongst the SWTOR goons but by and large it's worth your time if you wanna do some Star Wars RPG stuff.

Thankfully I believe they also finally made the 12x XP standard so you never need to do any of the side quests and can just go main quest to main quest, making it even more like a regular RPG where you never have to touch a single MMO element if you don't want to.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Samuringa posted:

SWTOR was my favorite MMO, spent wayy too much time with the game. I'm not sure how it is these days though. I think they doubled down on making it a single player RPG.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Det_no posted:

So I've been playing through Original Sin with a friend and it's tons of fun. Unfortunately, our schedules don't always match so I want a similar game that I can play on my own. What are my choices if I want something similar? Let's say a story focused RPG that lets me control more than one guy?

Original Sin 2 I'd like to leave alone for now in case I ever move on to that one with my pal.

I own both Pillars of Eternity and Pathfinder: Kingmaker from old bundles but I don't have any of the DLC. Is any of those good and not too incomplete without the DLC?

Is there any other arguably better game in a similar vein? TROUBLESHOOTER is not something I'm interested in right now due to the poor translation. Classic Fallout I played already.

Since you asked about this the other day - Pillars of Eternity franchise is having a sale: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/pillarsofeternity/

Pillars of Eternity 2 can be had for $20. The season pass and each expansion/add-on are 50% off as well.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Ragequit posted:

Since you asked about this the other day - Pillars of Eternity franchise is having a sale: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/pillarsofeternity/

Pillars of Eternity 2 can be had for $20. The season pass and each expansion/add-on are 50% off as well.
Man, I really hate the pricing for White March. I want to buy it so I can make a dude who runs through both PoE and Deadfire, but I can't justify paying more for the 2 dlc than all of Deadfire.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Man, I really hate the pricing for White March. I want to buy it so I can make a dude who runs through both PoE and Deadfire, but I can't justify paying more for the 2 dlc than all of Deadfire.

There is this which has some weird pricing, but should come out cheaper: https://store.steampowered.com/sub/75481/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Oh nice! The game is actually pretty good and there are still some goons playing.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897613

Check it out!

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Ragequit posted:

Oooh~ In the end, Green Man Gaming took so long approving my purchase attempt that the game's definitive edition stopped being on sale before I could get it. This is perfect.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sort of on the subject of PoE, I still hear people talking about those games, but I haven't heard much about Tyranny. Was going to ask what was up with that, but I just took a look at reviews on Steam and it's apparently an unholy mess of bugs? Here I thought Obsidian was past that, now working on their engine. At least people are giving it a thumbs up on the writing department, and that's usually good enough for me.

Anyway, that sort of doesn't explain why I haven't heard much about Tyranny since release. Maybe it's not as good as PoE?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I thought Tyranny was very good and I had no issues with bugs at all when I played it two or three years ago. The spellcasting system is really fun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I hear the DLC was buggy but I never had a problem with the main game. The difficulty was a bit much sometimes but I really liked it. I do wonder if part of the reason it sold so poorly was its incredibly lovely release timing, it came out like two days after the 2016 election.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I thought Tyranny was very solid, relatively short for an RPG, and its plot hook was way more gripping that the standard fantasy trappings of most games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Saoshyant posted:

Sort of on the subject of PoE, I still hear people talking about those games, but I haven't heard much about Tyranny. Was going to ask what was up with that, but I just took a look at reviews on Steam and it's apparently an unholy mess of bugs? Here I thought Obsidian was past that, now working on their engine. At least people are giving it a thumbs up on the writing department, and that's usually good enough for me.

Anyway, that sort of doesn't explain why I haven't heard much about Tyranny since release. Maybe it's not as good as PoE?

Tyranny is an amazing game. Can't say I experienced many bugs. Combat can be broken pretty quickly but hey, it's a cRPG and its combat isn't garbage, that's pretty cool.

The characterisation is great. Amazing world building. Some pretty funny dialogues. You can play a rules lawyer and rule lawyer a surprisingly high number of situations. Law in Tyranny is apparently partly magical but also EXTREMELY LITERAL. It's hilarious.

e: literally me playing Tyranny:
https://i.imgur.com/vfKvyC9.mp4

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 21, 2020