Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Just watched The Predator (2018). It had its funny moments (Keegan Michael-Key and Thomas Jane were the best part), but it was pretty Meh, given the source material that they had to work with.

What's the consensus on Predators? Any better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

Just watched The Predator (2018). It had its funny moments (Keegan Michael-Key and Thomas Jane were the best part), but it was pretty Meh, given the source material that they had to work with.

I feel like it is better yeah.

It isn't amazing but it's a good watch.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah I definitely like Predators. I mean, don't expect much but that makes it better if you go in not expecting much. I think it's a really fun movie and my favorite part is all of the different individuals having their own characteristics.

The Predator was bad, but yeah. Thomas Jane and Key are the best part.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Predators is a lot better than The Predator without being as good as Predator 1 or 2. It’s kind of derivative and not trying to be funny. But it’s okay.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Xenomrph posted:

Might as well not waste everyone’s time and just give it to me. :smug:

Well shieeeeeeeeeeeeet.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wowshawk posted:

Al Matthews is a badass and I hate that I haven't seen him in other stuff.

In the the superior firepower docu he actively takes charge when a set takes fire and orders the dumbass actors around. I've been thinking too much about aliens lately, def have to fire it up again and watch that docu again.

In the good old days of vhs it was my go to action flick to rent in stead of the typical van damme stuff. The clerk would invariably roll his eyes when I took it out to show friends. I actually appreciate alien more now, but that's only because I don't know it 70% by heart like aliens.

Yeah it was a brilliant casting choice similar to r lee ermey in full metal jacket based on being able to use their previous military NCO experience to make their characters memorable.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

etalian posted:

Yeah it was a brilliant casting choice similar to r lee ermey in full metal jacket based on being able to use their previous military NCO experience to make their characters memorable.
Fantastic casting on both counts. The authenticity and ferocity (the latter being especially true in Ermey's case, Jesus Christ) is simply something that cannot be replicated by any level of acting.

It's all academic now but I'd have loved a version of the move where Apone lives longer/survives. How can you not love a character who immediately munches on a cigar within five loving seconds of waking from hypersleep?!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Pennywise the Frown, Splicer, etc. we should do more of that thing that makes one of you take anxiolytics sometime soon

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Wowshawk posted:

I've been thinking too much about aliens lately, def have to fire it up again and watch that docu again.

It's never too wrong think about Aliens.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
On YouTube, Oliver Harper posted a review/retrospective of Predators yesterday. His r/r vids are always good, I especially enjoy his Alien 3 one.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

The Zombie Guy posted:

Predators was like a fun RPG session. The Predator was just incoherent.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PhotoKirk posted:

Predators was like a fun RPG session.
Aaand another 1d6 alien dogs from the random encounter table. Really wish I'd finished painting those models

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

ProperCoochie posted:

On YouTube, Oliver Harper posted a review/retrospective of Predators yesterday. His r/r vids are always good, I especially enjoy his Alien 3 one.

The man does great work, love his vids.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I still love this image

Jonesy is not having that poo poo at all

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

There is an even shorter version where Ripley stops them opening the airlock door and only the three outside die.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

Keltar posted:

The man does great work, love his vids.

He's a great editor, but dropped two of his friends for a sniff of fame (and money?) as soon as his Action Heroes doc picked up traction, so less of a good person.

(Richard Jackson and Duncan Casey do stuff on Youtube/Twitch as ValVerde Broadcasting if anyone wonders where they went)

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Devol_Tettran posted:

He's a great editor, but dropped two of his friends for a sniff of fame (and money?) as soon as his Action Heroes doc picked up traction, so less of a good person.

(Richard Jackson and Duncan Casey do stuff on Youtube/Twitch as ValVerde Broadcasting if anyone wonders where they went)

Oh what's the story here, you got me very curious.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Xenomrph posted:

Which book was it?

Rinzler's The Making of Aliens

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

happyhippy posted:

There is an even shorter version where Ripley stops them opening the airlock door and only the three outside die.

You’re kidding yourself if you don’t think the resultant Alien wouldn’t have found a way inside the ship anyway.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

You’re kidding yourself if you don’t think the resultant Alien wouldn’t have found a way inside the ship anyway.

They have No Trespassing signs on the outside doors.

lol nice try genius

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

happyhippy posted:

I still want to see the version where they ignore the distress beacon and make it home to get their bonuses.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I still want to know what would happen if a facehugger implanted an embryo on a person with severe health issues. Like paralysis. Would the resulting xeno be paralyzed too?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cowslips Warren posted:

I still want to know what would happen if a facehugger implanted an embryo on a person with severe health issues. Like paralysis. Would the resulting xeno be paralyzed too?
I doubt it, although certain health issues can affect chestburster development. In the comics, leprosy would halt embryo gestation altogether, and in the 'Alien Resurrection' novelization, the reason Purvis doesn't give birth to an Alien when the rest of his ill-fated facehugged friends do is because he has a thyroid condition that slowed the Alien's development inside him.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Genetic issues might get passed to the Alien parasite, but they might filter for the worst of those effects.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

pooch516 posted:

I still want to see the version where they ignore the distress beacon and make it home to get their bonuses.

Right?

Dallas: What's that?

Ripley: Looks like a distress beacon.

Ash: That's LV-426. No indigenous life. Definitely nothing dangerous or interesting there. Nope. We should go investigate

Lambert: Maybe we should call a rescue ship.

Ash: We could be the rescue ship.

Brett: Oh hell no. Its 2122. I've seen every horror movie made in the last 200 years. You do not go investigating mysterious signals from desolate planetoids. You might as well just say "I'll be right back" and go down into the basement of the abandoned mental asylum to see what that scary noise was with nothing but a book of matches after having sex and smoking a joint. You're just asking to get serial murdered by some big monster.

Dallas and Ripley: *glance at each other nervously*

Ash: Wouldn't that be fun? Like a haunted hayride. All the more reason to go have a look.

Parker: Yeah! Plus it's always the brother that dies first. gently caress that poo poo!

Kane: The black guy doesn't always die first.

Parker: Name ONE time!

Brett: Parker is right. We go down there, he's screwed.

Ash: Perhaps there's something that the company will want us to violate quarantine to bring back, not that I would think that for any reason.

Parker: Man you've got a few screws loose in your head man.

Ash: *twitches* What?

Parker: What?

Ash... I .... must use the biological relief facilities to...relieve myself. My.... human bladder is full. Yes.

Brett: Well that was odd.

Kane: I know... *whispers* I never see him drink anything.

Ash: *shouting from down the hall* Are you sure you don't want to go check it out?

All crew: No!

Ash: *to self* Goddammit.

Ripley: Dallas, I need to get the hell off this ship.

Dallas: You and me both. We are not stopping. Lambert, call it in. Tell the company to send a Colonial Marine detachment or something. That's their job anyway isn't it?

Ripley: Anyone seen my cat?

Brett: Last time I saw him he was pissing on Ash's bed again.

Jonesy: *hops onto the navigation panel, initiating the auxiliary thrusters, carrying them away from LV-426 at an accelerated rate*

Ash: *from down the hallway* Who urinated in my sleeping cot, AGAIN??

Ripley: You silly cat.

All Crew except Ash: *laughs*

Jonsey: *mews and looks knowingly at the camera.*

Fade to black.

Roll credits.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’d watch it

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Alien, but it’s Groundhog Day. Ripley tries everything to change the outcome at every step, but until she accepts its only her and Jonesy making it out, she’s stuck in a time loop.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

wuffles posted:

Alien, but it’s Groundhog Day. Ripley tries everything to change the outcome at every step, but until she accepts its only her and Jonesy making it out, she’s stuck in a time loop.

If we have to have incessant reboots and re-imagings and whatever, can someone please make this, oh my loving God

poo poo, make it a miniseries, I would watch all of that

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Aliens, but it’s Groundhog Day for Gorman, who is desperate to save his squad from being annihilated, and ends up becoming an amazing lieutenant.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vagabundo posted:

Aliens, but it’s Groundhog Day for Gorman, who is desperate to save his squad from being annihilated, and ends up becoming an amazing lieutenant.
At first he starts getting better results through trial and error and rote memorisation. Then his existing speedrun tactics stop working because one of the aliens is also groundhog dayed and is adapting, so he has to learn to be good for real.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Jay_Zombie posted:

Parker: Yeah! Plus it's always the brother that dies first. gently caress that poo poo!

Kane: The black guy doesn't always die first.

Parker: Name ONE time!

Brett: Parker is right. We go down there, he's screwed.

That's my favorite part, reminds me of the line from Galaxy Quest.
"Let's get out of here before one of those things kills Guy!"

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Splicer posted:

At first he starts getting better results through trial and error and rote memorisation. Then his existing speedrun tactics stop working because one of the aliens is also groundhog dayed and is adapting, so he has to learn to be good for real.

I will only accept this if the final confrontation ends with Hope quipping "I always was an rear end in a top hat."

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Splicer posted:

Great, now I'm thinking about Edge of Tomorrow (the movie).

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

Keltar posted:

Oh what's the story here, you got me very curious.

Richard and Duncan used to guest on Olly's channel on film commentaries (Dunc did most of the Bond films, for example) and the review show Fix it in Post - Richard did all of the lighting and camera work as his day job is as a videographer - Fix it in Post was also originally filmed in Richard's living room. Richard also did a a lot of Let's Plays with Olly on the 2nd channel.

It seems like the idea for the "In Search of the Last Action Heroes" doc was a joint one, as I think both of them were in the original launch video for Olly's Kickstarter to fund it (Rich was for sure) and it seemed like it was going to be a team collab effort, as well as a bit of fun. However at some point after the Kickstarter being launched and late 2018, a producer came in, something happened and they disappeared from Olly''s channel overnight, with most of the content with them in being scrubbed off both channels.

They've not said (or been able to say) what happened directly, but it seems financially driven from the occasional comment in livestreams.

Seems a real shame, as both are very talented guys working in the industry - for example, Richard did some the DP work for Dead Mouse Productions (the Robodoc guys) in the US last year for another of their documentaries and Duncan was the lead actor in Erica on PS4. To bring it back to the thread, they're done plenty of Alien/Predator/Terminator stuff on the new channel, in the same irreverent style as on Olly's channel, if that's your bag.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jay_Zombie posted:

Brett: Oh hell no. Its 2122. I've seen every horror movie made in the last 200 years. You do not go investigating mysterious signals from desolate planetoids. You might as well just say "I'll be right back" and go down into the basement of the abandoned mental asylum to see what that scary noise was with nothing but a book of matches after having sex and smoking a joint. You're just asking to get serial murdered by some big monster.

Event Horizon is absolutely sublime for the scene where the Space Captain realizes what kind of film they're in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sFd8aWT7Io
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm5KI8zSeVs

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Event Horizon is absolutely sublime for the scene where the Space Captain realizes what kind of film they're in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sFd8aWT7Io
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm5KI8zSeVs

Those clips rank up there with Palmer's "You gotta be loving kidding me" in "The Thing" as my favorite horror movie reactions.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Splicer posted:

Ripley : How many drops is this for you, Lieutenant?
Gorman : Thirty eight... simulated.
Vasquez : How many combat drops?
Lieutenant Gorman : Uh, I lost count a while ago.
Private Drake : poo poo.
Private Hudson : Oh, man...

"Can you set up a few of the sentry guns at the end of the hallway? Oh, and there's a girl somewhere around here. Have a look on the motion trackers. You'll need to find her, pronto. Sweet, thanks. The area's somewhat secured, so we're coming in. Oh, and Ferro and Spunkmeyer? Make sure you lock yourselves into the ship. Seriously. Trust me on this one."

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Vagabundo posted:

Ripley : How many drops is this for you, Lieutenant?
Gorman : Thirty eight... simulated.
Vasquez : How many combat drops?
Lieutenant Gorman : Uh, I lost count a while ago.
Private Drake : poo poo.
Private Hudson : Oh, man...

"Can you set up a few of the sentry guns at the end of the hallway? Oh, and there's a girl somewhere around here. Have a look on the motion trackers. You'll need to find her, pronto. Sweet, thanks. The area's somewhat secured, so we're coming in. Oh, and Ferro and Spunkmeyer? Make sure you lock yourselves into the ship. Seriously. Trust me on this one."

"Yup, those are the PLBs. They're all stationary and judging from that secreted resin, they're cocooned and dead already. Roll in those canisters of CN-20 and nerve gas the whole loving nest, then get back here."

Edit: As a commissioned officer, I can authorize it. Take off and nuke the site from orbit, just to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Believe it or Not they put a Ripley skin pack in Modern Warfare/Warzone.