Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I thought it was weird because even bigger bucket-wheel excavators use treads (a whole lot of treads). But thanks for the explanations.

luxury handset posted:

the rocket pad crawler thing they use in spaceflight only has to go on a certain known route and you can pave that route

The route is actually covered with specially optimized gravel

quote:

Each Crawlerway is 2 m (7 ft) deep and covered with Alabama and Tennessee river rock for its low friction properties to reduce the possibility of sparks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

GotLag posted:

As an example, here's a tank destroying a cobblestone road (and jamming its tracks) by turning in place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpNQbwWP3hQ&t=25s

The rocks disintegrating in the treads was amazing to watch.
And then the dude pokes his hand in there...

(Btw, what language is the audience speaking-?)

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Tree Bucket posted:

(Btw, what language is the audience speaking-?)

German

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If treads were better than walking then we’d have treads, not legs. Duh.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/ZlgUEIw.mp4

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Something something mecha anime.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

:piss:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Inside a walking excavator as it moves. Very cool and more than a little unsettling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KOW36gNZtM&t=36s

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

even He-Man knew the truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn14qt9wFE8

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Oh holy poo poo, I had that.

I didn’t have any other He-Man related toys. Just that noisy monstrosity. It definitely could handle weird terrain, tho, including carpet, which is where most other moving toys would get tripped up, making this topic come full circle somehow.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Saw this in the local news.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
he was 100% loving the woodchips

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/xbnnBoY.mp4
Thought for sure the pile of rocks was gonna finally get him after all that.

KernelFailure
Apr 5, 2004
What?

GotLag posted:

As an example, here's a tank destroying a cobblestone road (and jamming its tracks) by turning in place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpNQbwWP3hQ&t=25s

Oh God he's putting his hands in the track area to remove rocks

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/xbnnBoY.mp4
Thought for sure the pile of rocks was gonna finally get him after all that.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/KylePlantEmoji/status/1285367473064181761

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Went to a trackday with a friend I haven't seen in years. Someone had weird noises coming from the diff so of course...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

Went to a trackday with a friend I haven't seen in years. Someone had weird noises coming from the diff so of course...

Lmao, quick way to crush your skull.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I mean, he could use a backup jackstand, but that's a pretty standard way to do quick oil changes / repair work on the underside of your car?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Bobulus posted:

I mean, he could use a backup jackstand, but that's a pretty standard way to do quick oil changes / repair work on the underside of your car?

a lot of people do the dangerous thing, yes

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Bobulus posted:

To stick your body under your vehicle supported only by a single hydraulic jack stand and nothing else would seem insane to most safety minded people, myself included. I would never crawl under my car supported by only that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Bobulus posted:

What? I'm very concerned that you feel working under something supported only by a jack is somehow "standard". You're putting your entire life in the hands of a single hydraulic cylinder not failing at an inopportune time, and no-one passing by accidentally bumping the release.

The safe way to do it is to jack it up, lower it onto your jack stands, and remove the jack. The only time you can consider leaving it on the jack is if you're swapping a wheel or something and aren't actually going to be underneath it at any point.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bobulus posted:

A jackstand is not a backup; it is the correct way to support the vehicle while you're working underneath. The jack is a lifting device used only to raise the car up enough to put it on the stands.

Please consider that the jack is (1) explicitly designed to collapse, (2) on wheels, (3) cantilevered, with nothing preventing it from slipping off if the car shifts slightly away from the jack, and (4) sticking out from the car in a way that makes it easy to knock out of position.

A jack is not a stand. A jack is only a lifting device.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Jabor posted:

What? I'm very concerned that you feel working under something supported only by a jack is somehow "standard". You're putting your entire life in the hands of a single hydraulic cylinder not failing at an inopportune time, and no-one passing by accidentally bumping the release.

The safe way to do it is to jack it up, lower it onto your jack stands, and remove the jack. The only time you can consider leaving it on the jack is if you're swapping a wheel or something and aren't actually going to be underneath it at any point.

I did mention a jack-stand. My logic (as told to me by my father) was always that you could either have just a jackstand, or a jackstand plus a second point of support, so the latter was better.

I get why just the jack is a bad idea, but I guess I wasn't thinking about it being a busy environment. My bad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bobulus posted:

You never, EVER crawl under a car only held up by the hydraulic jack unless you long for death from having the breath crushed out of you or your skull crushed.

Jackstands are a must. Even if you only have one. Even when totally closed, those jack valves tend to eventually start leaking, and there's a long list of people killed when their jack started very slowly lowering the car on top of them, or very quickly if the o-rings fail.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I would add any kind of jack. Anything that can lower a car can lower a car onto you. Only go under a car that is supported by something that can't be lowered without first taking the load off of it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That's not really how your post came across.

The problem with leaving it on the jack as a second point of support is that this "second point of support" is unreliable - if it fails, suddenly your vehicle is supported to a different degree in different places, which could make it shift or even fall off the remaining supports.

But since you're probably just eyeballing this rather than rigorously measuring your setup, how do you know that the jackstands are even bearing any load at all? The reason you remove the jack entirely is so that you know the vehicle's weight is securely on the jackstands, and it isn't going to suddenly change.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Also, don't use a jack stand from harbor freight

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

For a long time, I used to imagine that a car falling on you would be like this:

Then I read a few reports and actually it is a slow process where you can't move your ribcage and so take a breath. Which seems more terrifying to me.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Desert Bus posted:

I know the bridge is ancient and seems strong but I seriously doubt it can take the weight of all those cathedrals.

I just want you to know I got that and appreciated it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

minato posted:

When you go to change the batteries on a hibernating bear's radio collar, make sure it's actually asleep.

TLDR: they tranq'd it, then went back in after they'd thought it had taken effect, and that's when they got that photo. Then:

so how do collars charge? usb-A, micro, C, some new new standard , some ancient thing that only animal scientist use ?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

PhazonLink posted:

so how do collars charge? usb-A, micro, C, some new new standard , some ancient thing that only animal scientist use ?

Batteries sized for the collar so you can swap them in the field without removing the collar.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
What if they just turned the entire bear cave into an induction charger. Come on scientists, I thought you were smart.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Moo the cow posted:

For a long time, I used to imagine that a car falling on you would be like this:

Then I read a few reports and actually it is a slow process where you can't move your ribcage and so take a breath. Which seems more terrifying to me.

It can be both!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

You just install the new battery rectally

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Moo the cow posted:

Diaphragm chokes are a real thing in grappling competitions, also. For example, Dean Lister vs Josh Barnett. At the end of the match, Barnett gets Lister into basically a judo scarf hold. He then puts all his weight on Lister's chest and the compression between the two makes it so once Lister exhaled, he could not inhale again. It's a very different kind of choke than most people are used to, and Barnett made the big guy tap as a result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE2TC9-oEk4&t=1237s

e: and Barnett explaining the choke step by step:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s0VxxSNu-g

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

Bobulus posted:

I knew someone in high school who thought it was ok too. He has one less eye now because the jack failed.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Necrosaro posted:

I knew someone in high school who thought it was ok too. He has one less eye now because the jack failed.

Is his nickname 'One-eyed Jack'?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Facebook link

https://www.facebook.com/OCSDMissionViejo/videos/615947049327675/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Jabor posted:

That's not really how your post came across.

The problem with leaving it on the jack as a second point of support is that this "second point of support" is unreliable - if it fails, suddenly your vehicle is supported to a different degree in different places, which could make it shift or even fall off the remaining supports.

But since you're probably just eyeballing this rather than rigorously measuring your setup, how do you know that the jackstands are even bearing any load at all? The reason you remove the jack entirely is so that you know the vehicle's weight is securely on the jackstands, and it isn't going to suddenly change.

I always lower the jack out of contact then pump it back up to just enough contact that friction is holding it in place. That way the stand is fully engaged but if it fractures under load there's some chance of the jack catching the car.