Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Boba Pearl posted:

Trying to avoid spoilers, but is there anything I should know before I get too deep into it? When do I stop dealing with NPC packages and start delivering real player dropped packages, when will vehicles and stuff start showing up? Does the game ever open up? I'd like to know as much about the game mechanically without spoiling anything please.

I'm guessing you're still in the first region or very early in the second. It opens up once you're in the second region, by a lot.

The game is mostly about NPC packages. Stuff dropped by other players can be helpful supplements but they aren't really the meat and potatoes of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Macaluso posted:

The very first delivery where you go to the incinerator, when that Bones song kicks in it's probably my favorite time the music does that out of the whole game. It really really sets a tone for the world at large at the very beginning of the game with that.

I feel like it misses the mark sometimes and ends up pointless, though. The time music plays when you're doing the delivery between the weather station and the timefall farms is one such example of pointless music. It's a super easy delivery, not especially important plot-wise, does not present any incredible vista and is not a relaxing moment after a BT zone. It's just random music for the hell of it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've been playing games my whole life that ceaselessly played 2-3 minutes chiptunes on a loop from the moment you turn it on to the moment you go to sleep and can finally get them out of your head.

I get what you're saying, like, it's the same dramatic pullback without any of the tension relief or new scenery to chew, but really it's just videogame music playing during routine part of gameplay.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

Trying to avoid spoilers, but is there anything I should know before I get too deep into it? When do I stop dealing with NPC packages and start delivering real player dropped packages, when will vehicles and stuff start showing up? Does the game ever open up? I'd like to know as much about the game mechanically without spoiling anything please.

The majority of the game is delivering NPC packages. When you open up the Shared Locker, you can deliver player packages. You'll also find player-made mailboxes in the environment that might have player items for you to deliver, or occasionally you'll find packages in the wild.

The game opens up a ton after Port Knot City. The first map is basically the starting/tutorial area. You'll unlock bikes a few missions into that next area, and trucks later on.

Main missions will have an orange highlight, those are the ones you want to be doing to advance the story and unlock stuff.

Equip exoskeletons as soon as you get them, there are no downsides.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

Wait until chapter 3 before trying to start making non-story deliveries. You'll get things that will make deliveries easier.

Unrelated, I finished building the highway system. I didn't know it went that far north. Now when I want to chill I can just do some deliveries using the road and not worry about BTs or MULES or anything.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Stolen from reddit

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Stolen from reddit

:3:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Spent most of yesterday completing every auto-paver on the map, including a few by the craftsman which don't seem to actually go anywhere. Not sure if that's the most efficient way of doing things since they seem to (slowly) degrade from timefall, but this game draws out the completionist in me. Also been trying to 5-star everyone as fast as possible even though the stars don't seem to actually do anything. Got everyone in the first zone, second one is taking a bit longer since nobody had much to deliver to either the film director or cosplayer. Probably just need to wait for orders to refresh.

Is there any point in having lethal weapons outside the Combat Veteran fight? Mules can be a pain in the rear end but I assume I'll just get a game over or something if I run into their camp and start shooting them.

Those roads lead to the local incinerator.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I finished the plot stuff, and holy poo poo that felt like it fell apart in the last 20%. I enjoyed like 90% of the gameplay and there were bits and pieces I really liked throughout, but I kinda wish the story was just "Sam is a post-apocalyptic postman," because I found that way more engaging than all the extinction and beach stuff.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Late to the party but I just wanted to say I have the soundtrack on vinyl and listening to it now I am so envious of the PC players experiencing this masterpiece for the first time. You are truly experiencing something special.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Infinity Gaia posted:

I feel like it misses the mark sometimes and ends up pointless, though. The time music plays when you're doing the delivery between the weather station and the timefall farms is one such example of pointless music. It's a super easy delivery, not especially important plot-wise, does not present any incredible vista and is not a relaxing moment after a BT zone. It's just random music for the hell of it.

I kinda agree but I think the view was nice enough to warrant it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I really like how the game announces the name of the song along with artist and label. Given how rarely the game plays these songs it gives a vibe of "we felt like this particular song fits this particular place and time best." Like your own personal DJ looking over your shoulder.

It's eerie how much the isolation of this game seems natural after 4 months of the pandemic.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I absolutely agree although it did feel like Just another Low Roar track after a point

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I can see getting sick of the music cues if you’re not into music for sad white boys, but I am a sad white boy, so I’ll take it.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I'm not a big fan of the indie songs, like Low Roar--they're fine, they fit their moments--but the original score is fantastic and I'm considering getting it on vinyl like Taintrunner

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 56 days!
Just unlocked ziplines and god drat why did i ever spend so much time and resources building route 23

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

The music is a good match with the game, I really enjoy the soundtrack. Honestly after thinking about it more I really like how the music and sound design come together with everything else to really make you feel isolated when you're out in the rough somewhere and the only sounds are your footsteps and breathing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

croup coughfield posted:

Just unlocked ziplines and god drat why did i ever spend so much time and resources building route 23

Roads are still great for vehicles!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

croup coughfield posted:

it's not totally wasted effort, there are shipments to mountain knot that will be far easier if you can get a truck up there

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Boba Pearl posted:

There is a pretty obvious "break" in chapters and area that signals an "opening up". NPC/Player packages aren't functionally that different, you'll mostly be doing NPC the whole game but will see player ones here and there you can do if you want, vehicles become a bigger thing at some point after the "opening up". After that it becomes very much a game of naturally leading you into learning new gadgets and mechanics and then leaving it to you to figure out how to best use them all over the place, and there are a decent amount of them that feel like they really change the game up. Some of them come from getting stars from NPCs.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That feeling when you offload a super heavy load and then are practically empty is awesome. Feels like a speed cheat code for a little while. Your mobility really goes nuts when you're unburdened. I went on a little side order into nearby MULE territory, rode in on the bike, nabbed the documents, then rode away. Well, I got shock speared and fell off my bike, so I ran away but it was so fast I didn't even miss my bike... until I went back for my bike later when I definitely did miss it.

I love gathering up like dozen or more of player packages to deliver, just hoovering up all the light-weight packages and stacking em tall. Gained like 12 bridge connection levels. I should probably leave this area at some point, I just keep bouncing between the first 4 places you unlock. I'm getting better at forcing the bike over the forest crater walls near Wind Farm!

I'm getting a real MGSV vibe from mission structure so far and with that means me spending the majority of my time doing side ops before ever wrapping up the MSQ.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I love gathering up like dozen or more of player packages to deliver, just hoovering up all the light-weight packages and stacking em tall. Gained like 12 bridge connection levels. I should probably leave this area at some point, I just keep bouncing between the first 4 places you unlock. I'm getting better at forcing the bike over the forest crater walls near Wind Farm!

This is kind of what happened to me when I got to the Central Region; I spent 40 hours just leveling up the city and first three shelters before I moved the plot and wile it was fun at the time it wasn’t the best use of my time. I suggest pressing forward, there are a number of mechanics you will unlock shortly that will make things even easier plus I’m not sure the two preppers in Eastern Region will even have deliveries available until you leave and come back later.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Midjack posted:

This is kind of what happened to me when I got to the Central Region; I spent 40 hours just leveling up the city and first three shelters before I moved the plot and wile it was fun at the time it wasn’t the best use of my time. I suggest pressing forward, there are a number of mechanics you will unlock shortly that will make things even easier plus I’m not sure the two preppers in Eastern Region will even have deliveries available until you leave and come back later.

They do. You just need to find a random package for Ludens Fan to unlock his shelter. Musician just gives you stuff by default and is worth doing asap for the almighty harmonica.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Khanstant posted:

That feeling when you offload a super heavy load and then are practically empty is awesome.

:hellyeah: :gizz:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Infinity Gaia posted:

You're supposed to use the hovering bot you just got the schematic for to skateboard down the hill, in which case the lighthearted music fits the tone perfectly.

edit: I mean I say "supposed to" but you're not really "supposed" to do anything, you can play however you want. But imo that song specifically fits the game's tone at the time extremely well because the player has unlocked most of the toolset, the entire game world is now open to you, there's no imminent danger, and it's the first real moment where the player is free to do whatever they want once you reach the Timefall Farm. It's the first song in a while that isn't somber in some way because the story itself has lightened up a bit.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 21, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Khanstant posted:

That feeling when you offload a super heavy load and then are practically empty is awesome. Feels like a speed cheat code for a little while. Your mobility really goes nuts when you're unburdened.

It also opens you to the ultimate shame: Running so fast with a speed exoskeleton that you trip and fall over even though you're not carrying anything.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

CJacobs posted:

You're supposed to use the hovering bot you just got the schematic for to skateboard down the hill, in which case the lighthearted music fits the tone perfectly.

edit: I mean I say "supposed to" but you're not really "supposed" to do anything, you can play however you want. But imo that song specifically fits the game's tone at the time extremely well because the player has unlocked most of the toolset, the entire game world is now open to you, there's no imminent danger, and it's the first real moment where the player is free to do whatever they want once you reach the Timefall Farm. It's the first song in a while that isn't somber in some way because the story itself has lightened up a bit.

I basically took one look at those hoverbots and decided to never bother with them after that first mission where they're more or less mandatory as a tutorial. They seem liable to get caught on dumb bullshit and be a pain in the rear end. Even if you tell me they don't, I still don't trust them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not only do they not do that, they also hover over water!

edit: By the way, I'm back to updating my let's play of the game if anyone wants to take a break from delivering boxes to watch someone else deliver those boxes.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 21, 2020

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 56 days!
I take it back the road building was a good plan because you generate a shitload of passive Likes - I just wish I'd waited until I had a functional zipline network for faster materials gathering.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

I basically took one look at those hoverbots and decided to never bother with them after that first mission where they're more or less mandatory as a tutorial. They seem liable to get caught on dumb bullshit and be a pain in the rear end. Even if you tell me they don't, I still don't trust them.

I never had much use for them. Anything that I couldn't take a bike to was so vertical the platform didn't work either.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Midjack posted:

I never had much use for them. Anything that I couldn't take a bike to was so vertical the platform didn't work either.

I loved them for building roads. A max level 2 can build 3 road sections at once and since there is no road, walking is usually easier

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I used them first for skateboarding, second for using ziplines while my cratestack is uncontrollably tall so once I got to the end zipline I'd load one up for peace of mind I wasn't going to fall on my rear end in the last 50 meters.

They're amazingly getting stuck proof and can be a huge help to tame the crate snake on your back in places bikes struggle.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Don't they cost chiral crystals while they are being used? I thought I read that and it's a big factor in why I never used them after that mission.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Brutakas posted:

Don't they cost chiral crystals while they are being used? I thought I read that and it's a big factor in why I never used them after that mission.

Like a trivial amount. kill a BT boss or two and you won't have to worry about crystals.

My only real problem with them was that it always seemed like I was being pulled to the left when towing one. I felt like I had to correct to the right rather than walking straight.

It was nice to keep one on my back when I was walking though, just in case I found a big order or a ton of lost packages to a place I was trying to level up.

Also useful for extreme ziplining, as said above.

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 21, 2020

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
They use very little crystals. Just pick up some every now and then while you deliver cargo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I wonder why they made the hovercarts use crystals anyway. It's not like they'd be perfect except for that, they already have pros and cons just like any other delivery method or tool. If they needed it to be powered, why not use batteries like everything else?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The devs probably thought making them use battery would be unfair because running out would mean you'd have to leave behind huge amounts of cargo.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

zedprime posted:

They're amazingly getting stuck proof and can be a huge help to tame the crate snake on your back in places bikes struggle.

That's odd because every time I tried using them to carry cargo (which wasn't often) they'd get snagged on something, the cord would snap, and I'd have to waste time going back to hook them up again.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

The devs probably thought making them use battery would be unfair because running out would mean you'd have to leave behind huge amounts of cargo.

But the same could be said of anything that requires power. If you don't take a PCC with you there's risk in loading up a vehicle, or to a lesser extent your exoskeleton, and having to abandon cargo if you run out of juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you get a big rock or something stuck between you and the platform Sam will just keep walking until it snaps because the game doesn't simulate him being pulled back by the cord, only tugging along the weight of the cargo. It'd be fun if you could hoist your shoulders and wiggle the stick to make Sam yank it free with his body weight if it gets caught on something.

Lobok posted:

But the same could be said of anything that requires power. If you don't take a PCC with you there's risk in loading up a vehicle, or to a lesser extent your exoskeleton, and having to abandon cargo if you run out of juice.

Well sure but that'd also make the hover platform the only equipment item that requires battery but isn't a suit attachment (minus vehicles), meaning if it ran out of battery you'd have to disconnect it from Sam and either put it on his back or leave it. Other stuff like exo-skeletons can still be worn even when you're outta juice. imo making the hover platform use battery would just result in discarded hover platforms sitting around everywhere.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 21, 2020