Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Clavavisage posted:

ESQ1 is a pretty funny req tho

it's a classic. it's the most synth per dollar you're going to find that doesn't require a advanced degree in menu diving to patch. since the op wants to make rock 'n' roll, it's grittyness is also big plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I had seriously hoped that the Gaia coming out during the everything must be maximum analogue fad from a few years back, would have meant you could pick it up for next to nothing by now as a beginner synth, but that hasn't happened at all. I guess because it isn't discontinued. I'm seeing some cheap-ish Venoms. That could be an interesting buy. Just thinking about what could be good value for money in general.

e: without being ancient, I mean.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

So Math posted:

I saw a Sweetwater billboard today. Didn't realize how close I was moving to their HQ.

My condolences on your residence in Fort Wayne, New Haven, or the surrounding environs. All the benefits of a big city with all the bullshit bigotry of a small town.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I almost took a contract in Fort Wayne. I'll be sure to check out Sweetwater sometime if I'm ever in that part of the country.

I'm thinking about doing all the mods to my DX7 myself, even though I've never soldered anything in my life.
Playing along with some SNES soundtracks I like, I notice the pitch is just a wee bit off. I figure it's a battery thing.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

The Voice of Labor posted:

it's a classic. it's the most synth per dollar you're going to find that doesn't require a advanced degree in menu diving to patch. since the op wants to make rock 'n' roll, it's grittyness is also big plus.

guess I'll post this here. My first synth was an sq-2 that some rando youtuber recommended to me back in 2007. It was like $150. Thing is 75 lbs I reckon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncIoh2CP3Lc

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
If youve never soldered, pulled ICs, or replaced capacitors i highly recommend new synth owners take advantage of the absolute bounty of new merch on the streets right now. I love my ESQ but if you havent had hands on with it over the last 20 years youll just lose your mind trying to integrate it into a modern studio/DAW setup

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Clavavisage posted:

If youve never soldered, pulled ICs, or replaced capacitors i highly recommend new synth owners take advantage of the absolute bounty of new merch on the streets right now. I love my ESQ but if you havent had hands on with it over the last 20 years youll just lose your mind trying to integrate it into a modern studio/DAW setup

You don't think 80s/90s synths are fine as midi controllers?

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

excellent bird guy posted:

You don't think 80s/90s synths are fine as midi controllers?

Theyre mostly okay, some of those early aftertouch/velocity keybeds can get kinda crusty tho

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Clavavisage posted:

Theyre mostly okay, some of those early aftertouch/velocity keybeds can get kinda crusty tho

Yea my ensoniq SQ-2 velocity is awful and unpredictable. I'd sell it.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

excellent bird guy posted:

I almost took a contract in Fort Wayne. I'll be sure to check out Sweetwater sometime if I'm ever in that part of the country.

I'm thinking about doing all the mods to my DX7 myself, even though I've never soldered anything in my life.
Playing along with some SNES soundtracks I like, I notice the pitch is just a wee bit off. I figure it's a battery thing.

What mods are you looking at? Grey Matter E! is probably not worth your time in 2020, just enjoy the synth for the limitations it has.

If your pitch is off, use the Master Tune (Function -> 1) to adjust it- I've never seen one that drifted outside of the +/- 1 semitone of adjustment that gives you.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Ortazel posted:

What mods are you looking at? Grey Matter E! is probably not worth your time in 2020, just enjoy the synth for the limitations it has.

If your pitch is off, use the Master Tune (Function -> 1) to adjust it- I've never seen one that drifted outside of the +/- 1 semitone of adjustment that gives you.

Hey thanks for that heads up. I guess I'll change the battery and just use it as is.
Any advice for a keyboard stand? I'd like to get a Z shaped one, with a second tier rack to put my laptop on.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

I bought a full sized midi keyboard and it arrived like this:

Would this be something that I could fix DIY or is sending it back the only option? The keys are semi-weighted if that matters. If I can't fix it myself I'll probably just straight up return it. The keybed doesn't feel as great as I'd hoped anyway.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Carmant posted:

Would this be something that I could fix DIY or is sending it back the only option? The keys are semi-weighted if that matters. If I can't fix it myself I'll probably just straight up return it. The keybed doesn't feel as great as I'd hoped anyway.

Most likely there's a lead weight on the back half of the key (under the pads/black plastic) that has come unglued and fallen off in transit. It could also be a broken plastic piece in the key action. Either way, not worth taking it apart to fix it and you'd probably void the warranty doing so, just send it back.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

How much do you need to get a dece modular setup going? Does a hydrasynth just make more sense for a similar Thing if budget is a concern?

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Ortazel posted:

Most likely there's a lead weight on the back half of the key (under the pads/black plastic) that has come unglued and fallen off in transit. It could also be a broken plastic piece in the key action. Either way, not worth taking it apart to fix it and you'd probably void the warranty doing so, just send it back.

Either that or just a spring that slots into a hole in the back, but yeah if it got damaged in shipping probably best to just get a new one shipped.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

I'm going to ask the seller if attempting a repair myself will void their return policy. I'm assuming that it absolutely does, but on the off chance that it doesn't and that this is just some simple thing like gluing a weight or slotting something into a hole I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Google Butt posted:

How much do you need to get a dece modular setup going? Does a hydrasynth just make more sense for a similar Thing if budget is a concern?

depends what you want to do... if you want a big poly sound then just get the hydra imo, it will be a hundred times more economical

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

A MIRACLE posted:

depends what you want to do... if you want a big poly sound then just get the hydra imo, it will be a hundred times more economical

Less money is best right now, kind of just looking to make some bleep bloops and whatnot. I'm bad at making songs so I just want to gently caress around, basically. I was kinda eyeing semi modular like the 0-coast.

I currently have a novation circuits fwiw

The hydrasynth is more than I want to spend, but it kinda seems like you need to spend ay least that much in modular to get anywhere near the creative depth?

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 21, 2020

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Google Butt posted:

Less money is best right now, kind of just looking to make some bleep bloops and whatnot. I'm bad at making songs so I just want to gently caress around, basically. I was kinda eyeing semi modular like the 0-coast.

I currently have a novation circuits fwiw

The hydrasynth is more than I want to spend, but it kinda seems like you need to spend ay least that much in modular to get anywhere near the creative depth?

have you used the online editor for the circuit yet? it gives you live param access to tweak your own patches there

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

have you used the online editor for the circuit yet? it gives you live param access to tweak your own patches there

Yeah I have, but I don't find it that enjoyable to use, you know what I mean?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Should I try to make the Sirin meet my 'all-physical' demands, or look for an alternative?
I've considered doing this with my Blofeld, down to the point of not using the prospective additional hardware for anything else. BCR2000 used to be the go to, but I think it's discontinued. It had a pass through merge mode so you could chain multiples and still pass a keyboard all to one midi in. Then I decided hardware wasn't my thing in general. It's certainly doable if you need just a handful of extra parameters. Just add up the cost of the whole package including the base synth. If it exceeds the price of another neat synth that has all the knobs, maybe it doesn't make sense.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've considered doing this with my Blofeld, down to the point of not using the prospective additional hardware for anything else. BCR2000 used to be the go to, but I think it's discontinued. It had a pass through merge mode so you could chain multiples and still pass a keyboard all to one midi in. Then I decided hardware wasn't my thing in general. It's certainly doable if you need just a handful of extra parameters. Just add up the cost of the whole package including the base synth. If it exceeds the price of another neat synth that has all the knobs, maybe it doesn't make sense.

Yeah, that's sort of what I'm running up against although admittedly I'm not really familiar with non-keyboard MIDI controllers; it seems like this would be quite expensive, and I would still have to plug into a computer to know what preset I'm running at any given time, unless I was able to tell them all apart by ear lol. Like at what point am I crossing the line into planning a custom controller with a tiny computer that can run the Sirin editor, or other craziness? Prices for this custom setup start to approach the cost of just buying an Eternal Engine Apparatus (not really a very similar synth haha but it is true knob-per-function with a very singular sound) which is probably well past the point it's worth rigging up, tbh. Maybe I do know the answer to this after all.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I would still have to plug into a computer to know what preset I'm running at any given time, unless I was able to tell them all apart by ear lol. Like at what point am I crossing the line into planning a custom controller with a tiny computer that can run the Sirin editor, or other craziness?
A midi controller with a display could show you what program change value it is sending, giving you 128 presets you could learn to recognise by number v:v:v

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Carmant posted:

Update:

The keys have little springs on the back. The spring fell out during shipping or something I guess. Anyway I stretched the spring back into place and it's fine now.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Flipperwaldt posted:

A midi controller with a display could show you what program change value it is sending, giving you 128 presets you could learn to recognise by number v:v:v

...lmao yeah i think i need to just commit to "no synths that have computer-only functions" then. I'd deal with like a Minilogue XD style screen and menu system for these hidden Sirin parameters but the laptop is a bridge too far. I was even aggravated to learn that the Subharmonicon has functions that can only be changed by MIDI, so I am definitely extreme to a level where it's probably a detriment but i guess it is what it is, i can't control which sorts of synths are engaging to me and pull me in :shrug:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Can I use my circuit to sequence the 0-coast?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I have the "Arduino for musicians" kit, might try to make a generic reprogrammable midi knob box. I see things like the Stereoping knobs for the micromonsta and get all sorts of ideas. I suck rear end with a soldering iron but I can probably rig something up on a breadboard first
https://reverb.com/item/31024057-stereoping-ce-1-monsta-midi-controller-for-audiothingies-micromonsta-rare-vintage-synth

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Also if I'm dece at soldering, how much can be saved by building kits?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Google Butt posted:

Also if I'm dece at soldering, how much can be saved by building kits?

about 30-50%

if you buy boards and panels and source your own parts, that's where a lot of the cash savings is.

building a modular system is still expensive as all hell, a few pages back in the thread we were talking about atari punk consoles and cmos synths which are real cheap and probably much more rewarding

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Google Butt posted:

Can I use my circuit to sequence the 0-coast?

0 coast has midi in (even 2 channels if I remember right), so I guess yes. Just need a midi to jack adapter but I think it comes with it.

To reply to your previous question about modular, 0 coast is a great entry point.

It feels modular enough for you to decide if you want to go that route, but it's also an excellent desktop synth in itself if you realize modular is not for you.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

0 coast has midi in (even 2 channels if I remember right), so I guess yes. Just need a midi to jack adapter but I think it comes with it.

To reply to your previous question about modular, 0 coast is a great entry point.

It feels modular enough for you to decide if you want to go that route, but it's also an excellent desktop synth in itself if you realize modular is not for you.

Yeah it seems like fun either way. Out of stock everywhere, unfortunately.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

A MIRACLE posted:

I have the "Arduino for musicians" kit, might try to make a generic reprogrammable midi knob box. I see things like the Stereoping knobs for the micromonsta and get all sorts of ideas. I suck rear end with a soldering iron but I can probably rig something up on a breadboard first
https://reverb.com/item/31024057-stereoping-ce-1-monsta-midi-controller-for-audiothingies-micromonsta-rare-vintage-synth

Yeah that kind of thing should be easily buildable with an arduino with plenty I/Os or a multiplexer chip.

I've got a plan to build MIDI foot pedals with chords, drones and bank change commands. I've tested out all the functions on breadboard and done most of the programming and I've bought all the bits I need but :effort: in crimping like 100+ cables to get started.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Google Butt posted:

How much do you need to get a dece modular setup going?

Probably at least 2K. Highly depending on the number of simultaneous voices, and the need for sequencer modules.

Google Butt posted:

Does a hydrasynth just make more sense for a similar Thing if budget is a concern?

If budget is a concern, modular is always the worst choice.

To me the appeal of modular is purely a workflow factor. I've no musical training and instruments are made for musicians. Modular synths allow me to assemble something I enjoy playing with (modular synthesis is like a building game), without using a computer because my job is already nothing but computers, and if some cool sounds come out of all this, then it's just a bonus.

A hydrasynth will always sound better than whatever sounds I'll be able to create with the modular. It's just keyboard synths and DAWs don't click with me.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It's just keyboard synths and DAWs don't click with me.

And I can't live without my keyboard Synths and DAW. ;-*

But you already know that/

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mistayke posted:

And I can't live without my keyboard Synths and DAW. ;-*

But you already know that/

Because you are a musician, while I'm a hobbyist !

I'm not kidding, I wish I could play a melody on a keyboard, but I'm stuck with setting notes in a sequencer or arpeggiator until it sounds good.

I'm very slowly getting better at this, but I just wish I learned playing piano as a kid because it would have opened me so many new opportunities that I can"t even approach today. Everything that you control manually just sounds so much more alive, so I stick to what I can control like filters and decay and instruments, etc. But I really wish I could do the same with a keyboard sometimes.

Maybe one day I'll get there :)

This is why the choice between a modular or a hydrasynth really depends on personal preferences and skills.

e: reminds me of this documentary about the club scene here in Belgium, and how electronic music was truly created by engineers, to the point that they would test tracks in clubs to see what would make people dance. As an engineer this speaks to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaBDLS6sYPs

e2: full documentary here if anyone is interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8u2baCNCVo

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 21, 2020

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I definitely identify with that, I can't play keys either.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

even with the newer quad doepfer modules poly on modular is just silly

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
This might be a good time to drop in a plug for supporting your local music teachers if you can afford it. Many of them are teaching online but lots of independent teachers are still suffering economically and unable to make up the shortfall of lost in-person classes. Lots of students have also had to drop their lessons, which also places economic burden on the teachers offering services.

Dropping $500 on ten (or often twelve if you bulk-buy) weeks of lessons can have a much bigger growth effect on your music than spending the same money on a new module or other piece of gear.

It’s always worth taking a basic keyboard skills and theory course. It adds so much dimension to your toolkit. Same thing goes for doing coursework in different genres and traditions. You grow a ton as an electronic or ambient or punk musician or whatever when you study Latin Jazz or folk guitar for a couple of weeks.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Thoughts on the neutron or microbrute 2s as a step into modular and second synth to my circuit over the 0-coast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Google Butt posted:

Thoughts on the neutron or microbrute 2s as a step into modular and second synth to my circuit over the 0-coast?

Also very good. More east coast (substractive synthesis) while 0-coast is more west coast (additive synthesis). They are both great, just sounding differently. If you go Behringer the Crave is also great, it's a Mother 32 clone

e: edited for brainfart

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 22, 2020