Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Very minor thing compared to all the fun news recently, but got a question about the August discount eating thing. Is there any reason for somewhere not to take advantage of the scheme? I asked the lady running my work canteen if they'd be doing it, and she scoffed that they're not a restaurant... but canteens are included in the scheme, so why would you not do it? It's basically free money...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Marmaduke! posted:

Very minor thing compared to all the fun news recently, but got a question about the August discount eating thing. Is there any reason for somewhere not to take advantage of the scheme? I asked the lady running my work canteen if they'd be doing it, and she scoffed that they're not a restaurant... but canteens are included in the scheme, so why would you not do it? It's basically free money...

Probably believes she's not eligible since the news said restaurants and that's how it's been presented.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

This man actually said "pweaaaase". I'm gonna lose it.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Marmaduke! posted:

Is there any reason for somewhere not to take advantage of the scheme?

Because there is a global pandemic, and its still prevalent in this country, and we shouldn't be crowding people into food venues where you can't even cover your face

Obviously, not many places are using that excuse.

Also im aware my rant is not really relevant to your work-based example.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Good news: it's not true

I can't find the article I read the other day setting it all out in detail, but basically fiction in general is selling loads more than usual because (a)lockdown, and (b)it's July, whereas HP is selling very slightly more and so massively underperforming relative to the rest of the market

Graun straight-up lying to make people look more TERFy than they actually are, basically

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Marmaduke! posted:

Also your work canteen is probably taking advantage of it, but also doubling their prices Monday-Wednesday so you won't notice, but they'll still get the it doubled.

(hell, I would)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there a reason why fiction sales increase during july?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I'm literally reading a book rn whilst I wait for the barbecue to calm down if that answers your question

It's about warhamms

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a reason why fiction sales increase during july?

Fiction simply makes for better vacation reading, if I had to hazard a guess. Nobody wants to read The Wicked and the Vile while taking a load off at the beach.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Borrovan posted:

I'm literally reading a book rn whilst I wait for the barbecue to calm down if that answers your question

It's about warhamms

Saturnine? I’m about 2/3 of the way through it myself. Good hamms.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Borrovan posted:

It's about warhamms

Yes, and you call them warhamms despite the fact they're obviously peaceful

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

OwlFancier posted:

Statistically we are only a scant few years away from a government sex pest saying UwU in a sext.

thank you for this thought, follow up question: remove all memory of a forum post from brain how

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

justcola posted:

It can be both.

e: I've noticed a few posts over the last 10 or so pages that have been not as comradely as usual (this isn't one of them) - maybe a bit stereotypical or leaping to assumptions about countries or current court cases. Are people just having a lovely week or something?

Having a pretty lovely everything tbh.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Ratjaculation posted:

Also your work canteen is probably taking advantage of it, but also doubling their prices Monday-Wednesday so you won't notice, but they'll still get the it doubled.

(hell, I would)

Nah I mean they're definitely not (yet) , but they absolutely should. Even if it's replacing the £2.50 burger and chips with a max-£5.00 "gourmet" equivalent (add a slice of lettuce) I don't see why they wouldn't want to. And no, it's not going to make people crowd into my workplace because of a deal at the canteen (we never stopped during the lockdown, and we have pretty good measures in place. I missed out on free greggs yesterday, on an unrelated note).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You are now entering Free Greggs.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Guavanaut posted:

Chucky steakybake

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Guavanaut posted:

Iain Paisley voice: LONDONGREGGS

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Borrovan posted:

It's about warhamms
War armour? /bob

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Latest pod is fresh from the rendering oven! It's genuinely a cool one as we (well, Miftan) managed to snag Josh Sawyer, Lead Designer for cool games like NWN2, Fallout New Vegas, and Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 for a good chat about colonialism, empire, and politics in video games.

Plus it has the added advantage of releasing your brain from UK politics, and who doesn't want that right now?

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1285630943399747586?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Quite a decent article in the Torygraph (!shock, probe, riddle!!) on re-imagining the High St for affordable housing.

torygraph/news/2020/07/21/coronavirus-has-accelerated-demise-high-streets-should-just/

quote:

Coronavirus has accelerated the demise of our high streets - here's why we should just let them die
A lot could be possible if government starts to embrace, rather than resist, change on the high street

SCOTT CORFE
21 July 2020 • 12:57pm

Politicians love to talk about saving the Great British High Street, which had fallen on hard times even before the coronavirus crisis. In their 2019 election manifesto, the Conservatives promised to “protect your high street”. Meanwhile, Labour pledged to “revive” high streets by stopping bank branch closures.

Yet both parties are guilty of wishful thinking in assuming government can preserve high streets as we’ve long known them. The reality is that traditional town and city centres are dying, and coronavirus has accelerated their demise.

Consumer spending patterns have fundamentally changed over the past decade with the rise of the internet. In 2010, fewer than 7 per cent of retail sales were made online. Last year, online accounted for close to a fifth of sales. And the latest sales data show that the internet now accounts for about one in every three pounds spent by consumers.

While some people will flock back to shops as social distancing eases, many consumers will never return on the same scale. For a significant number, recent months have made clearer the convenience and often lower prices that can be achieved from ordering goods online and having these delivered to the doorstep. No more going to the shops to find the item you wanted out of stock. No more queuing to pay. And no more challenges parking your car in town.

There is little government can do to change the way the retail winds are blowing, no matter how much it talks about saving high streets. Fundamentally, the decline of traditional retail reflects technological progress and consumer preferences. Rising shop vacancy rates seem inevitable as we increasingly shun shops.

Compounding this is the likely rise in homeworking that has been brought on by lockdown, with more businesses contemplating letting staff work remotely – at least some of the time. Towns and cities look set to see a rise in empty offices as well as empty shops.

Does this mean that government should just let our urban centres slide into decline? No - policymakers can and must save our towns and cities. But this will require a rethink of how urban spaces are used.

In a new Social Market Foundation report out tomorrow, we recommend a new approach. Why not revive our urban spaces through repurposing them - replacing empty shops and offices with desirable and affordable homes?

More housing in town and city centres could bring vibrancy to suffering high streets, and support a bustling café culture. It would also support boutique retailers that have a place even in a world of online shopping – those offering a nice “experience” as well as a place to buy things.

Replacing shops and offices with homes would help tackle the housing affordability crisis which dogs so many parts of the UK, and create thousands of jobs in construction.

Government has already announced that changes to the law will come into effect in September, which will make is easier to change commercial buildings to residential use without the need for a planning application. Builders will also no longer need a normal planning application to demolish and rebuild vacant and redundant commercial buildings if they are rebuilt as homes. These reforms could help pave the way for a restructuring of town and city centres.

We estimate that the amount of homes that could be built through repurposing commercial space could be substantial – on some conservative assumptions we estimate an additional 800,000 homes could be made from replacing 5 per cent of commercial land with housing.

More affordable housing. A construction boost to the economy during a deep downturn. And making town and city centres fit for the future. A lot could be possible if government starts to embrace, rather than resist, change on the high street.

Author belongs to this organisation: https://www.smf.co.uk/
(Social Market Foundation) which I never heard of before and I just know someone is going to tell me some reason they're terrible :boom:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Quite a decent article in the Torygraph (!shock, probe, riddle!!) on re-imagining the High St for affordable housing.

torygraph/news/2020/07/21/coronavirus-has-accelerated-demise-high-streets-should-just/

Author belongs to this organisation: https://www.smf.co.uk/
(Social Market Foundation) which I never heard of before and I just know someone is going to tell me some reason they're terrible :boom:

£500k to live in a repurposed Ann Summers dressing room and you don’t get to be a Conservative MP.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like they already invented the livable high street and it was when it was full of small useful shops with people living above them.

Which I have no idea how you wrangle that out of purpose build shopping centers.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Or we could just tax internet giants their fair share and allow independent shops to compete.

Non-charity high street chains can die though

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

High streets died because they were stolen by private companies (sometimes literally) and redesigned to be horrible and uncomfortable places to be unless you're spending lots of money. Turning them into housing is not the worst idea but it'd be better to turn them back into public spaces through making them nice places to idle in - more green open spaces with comfortable group spaces free to access, more arts and musics venues run by local authorities to display local talent and run youth and education services from with accessible transport to and from it to all parts of the city. If we're going to have urban centres rather than micro-districts then all parts of the urban society, all communities in it, need to be able to access them easily and want to go there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I give redcar poo poo but its pedestrianized high street is quite nice on market day.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, the thing high streets need to be is spaces where it is important to have communality. Because the city planning still puts them at the centre of all the transport routes (despite out of town shops actually being the centre of most shopping), so repurposing them as communal spaces seems ideal.

Need them out of the hands of capital, though.

Just like everything else I guess.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I feel like parking contributes a lot to the downfall as well. Along with a lot of the aforementioned 'rush along unless you're spending' designs, the high street is just not a pleasant place as a destination any more.

Internet ordering is just so much more convenient and now that lockdown has forced most people to investigate it, I don't see that going away once lockdown fully ends.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Pedestrianise all of the satellite high streets and increase the number of small owner-occupier spaces.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's weird because I don't think I've ever been to a large urban area that actually has a high street. Because by the nature of large urban areas is that they don't, they're just a sprawl of shopping centers and offices.

Whereas I live near a bunch of places that actually have a literal high street, as in a single street through the main part of town with a lot of shops on it, but go even to the other side of those shops and it's often just housing.

I don't think these two are comparable because one already is housing, you could put some stud walls up in the commercial bits and it would literally just be the ground floor of a house, and the upper floor is likely residential anyway.

But god only knows how you get something out of what built up areas call a "high street" because it's a fundamentally inhuman design. They're just US style megamalls except usually unroofed.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I feel like parking contributes a lot to the downfall as well. Along with a lot of the aforementioned 'rush along unless you're spending' designs, the high street is just not a pleasant place as a destination any more.

Internet ordering is just so much more convenient and now that lockdown has forced most people to investigate it, I don't see that going away once lockdown fully ends.

I always park in the malls main court and slap a Prize sticker on my windscreen

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Borrovan posted:

It's about warhamms

Funny you mention Warhammer.

Earlier today I had one of those strange bits where you mind focuses on a previously useless bit of knowledge.

Namely how in Warhammer armies had Allies, so certain armies could buy troops from other armies. (Like Empire could take some Elves as allies.)

And there was a Vampire Count list which was a special Undead army which was all about being led by a Vampire. One of their special troops was the Black Coach, which was a magical chariot that got more powerful the more troops it killed.
It was so good that you could only have 1 in your army.

So in the Allies section one group that the Vampire Counts could ally with was another Vampire Counts army on account that there were four different factions of vampires.

Which meant under the rules you could have an army with Four Black Couches, if you took them as allies from other Vampire armies.

Warhammer was a gloriously silly place.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

It's weird because I don't think I've ever been to a large urban area that actually has a high street. Because by the nature of large urban areas is that they don't, they're just a sprawl of shopping centers and offices.

Whereas I live near a bunch of places that actually have a literal high street, as in a single street through the main part of town with a lot of shops on it, but go even to the other side of those shops and it's often just housing.

I don't think these two are comparable because one already is housing, you could put some stud walls up in the commercial bits and it would literally just be the ground floor of a house, and the upper floor is likely residential anyway.

But god only knows how you get something out of what built up areas call a "high street" because it's a fundamentally inhuman design. They're just US style megamalls except usually unroofed.
Leicester's in that mid-sized weird zone where you get both. There's a literal High Street high street which I guess still has pubs and shops (I've not been in months because of :spooky:)

And there's a bunch of other streets like the cheerily named Gallowtree Gate with modernized high street layouts, radiating off of the old clock tower.

But if you step off the map in the wrong place you can end up in dehumanize yourself and face to food courts

which, yeah, you're not going to make that a livable housing area for anyone.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Marmaduke! posted:

You have to send weekly turnover figures to the HMRC which isn't an issue if you're 100% VAT compliant but well *cough* a good few restaurants arent

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 21, 2020

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Once a city gets big enough and old enough to become a metropolitan area and starts absorbing the surrounding settlements, the metropolis often becomes a series of old-fashioned high streets all linked together, with housing/offices/industry filling in the bits in the middle. London's like this, there's a few more along the M62 corridor.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

The Question IRL posted:

Which meant under the rules you could have an army with Four Black Couches, if you took them as allies from other Vampire armies.

just four massive vampire settees roaming the battlefield growing stronger as they kill

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020

Guavanaut posted:

Leicester's in that mid-sized weird zone where you get both. There's a literal High Street high street which I guess still has pubs and shops (I've not been in months because of :spooky:)snip

With the exception of some council areas, there's no seating in the centres. I know it's the hostile architecture that's been done to death, but it also means if you're meeting someone or just wandering about you basically have to go in to the shops/cafes. Or standing about on the pavement, presumably in a mid-90s leather trenchcoat scaring folk, idk.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Angepain posted:

just four massive vampire settees roaming the battlefield growing stronger as they kill

feeding on the blood of their enemies and all the small change that gets stuck behind their cushions

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angepain posted:

Plot twist the black couch is the casting couch and vlad and isabella are dtf.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The DTF sale ends today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't really get the decency? Surrender to Amazon and turn every single space that has any gentle communal value into identikit rentier private housing flats is garden variety Telegraph stuff.

For the record I hate it, the high street is where the olds go to get semi-social interaction, local retail shops proportionally employ more people than warehouse retail does and in less dehumanising roles, and literally anything remaining that provides any local social cohesion should be protected tbh everyone is already alienated and lonely.

forkboy84 posted:

Just to be clear, we're using the same definition of "social liberalism" right? Not just "woke on social issues" but a specific form of liberalism as characterised by the likes of FDR, Asquith, Beveridge & Keynes, yes? Because I'm a socialist, yeah, and think that social liberalism is just entirely about taking the wind out of the sails of a potential revolutionary movement by making conditions for the working class just good enough to stave off that threat while still allowing wealth to accumulate in the hands of the elites. It's bad. Being less bad than neoliberals is, as I already said, such a low bar to pass that it's barely worth acknowledging. Any political movement that doesn't have the abolition of capitalism as a major goal is worthless.

Yes this is the entire point, there are liberals who are woke on social issues but aren't orange bookers, that's why the LD vote collapsed, and those liberals that are socially woke and also rejected austerity are a perfectly reasonable demographic to target.

If you're a socialist, yeah, and think social liberalism is just entirely about taking the wind out of the sails of a potential revolutionary moment then even within your logic it still makes sense to try and bring those liberals onside. If you consider 'woke and rejects austerity' as fertile ground for support, and you're a goshdarn moron if you don't, then arguing 'it's a low bar they haven't impressed me actually' is just being a larping tosspot, if there's absolutely no logical contradiction to working with someone then make it easy for them to join you.

Sawyers a hell of a get well done.