Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just like the good old days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Underrated 3k name: Hao Pu

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I've always liked Dong Heng myself.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I understand that in Infinite Mode in WO4U, there are a few characters that are much more difficult to unlock, so it's recommended that you start with those characters in your party. Which characters do you recommend I start Infinite Mode with to avoid the most frustration?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Is there a secret to getting a specific character's crafted weapon in WO4U's infinite mode?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Uncle Ulty posted:

I understand that in Infinite Mode in WO4U, there are a few characters that are much more difficult to unlock, so it's recommended that you start with those characters in your party. Which characters do you recommend I start Infinite Mode with to avoid the most frustration?

Zeus, Hades, Hundun/Odin. Those would be my picks. Any of the other WO4U newcomers or base game gods woud also be fine, but definitely pick Zeus, since you can only get him after you get everyone else. Meanwhile, Hades, Loki, Perseus, Hundun, etc have a relatively low spawn rate, same with Joan, Achilles and Ryu.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Whatever happened with the DW movie?

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

Azran posted:

Zeus, Hades, Hundun/Odin. Those would be my picks. Any of the other WO4U newcomers or base game gods woud also be fine, but definitely pick Zeus, since you can only get him after you get everyone else. Meanwhile, Hades, Loki, Perseus, Hundun, etc have a relatively low spawn rate, same with Joan, Achilles and Ryu.

Perfect! I knew I had seen a list quite a while ago but I had a hard time finding it. Thanks for that!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Koei Tecmo's got a new Dynasty Warriors feedback survey.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Playing DW5 again, just doing a bunch of characters' musou modes.

Though I usually play without it, sometimes ya just gotta throw Ma Chao on the Shadow Harness. It's nice to have little "Okay, time to play hardball" options available. :)

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

I did this earlier today and soon as I hit submit I regretted not putting Dynasty Warriors Gundam as one of my favorite game series. Bring it back Koei! :argh:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

how many times do we have to tell KT to put Bo Jackson in an Orochi game before they take the hint

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

My day has come.

Time to tell Koei to release Taikou Risshiden V on Steam. Why have they not done this, they released the very first one on Steam.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Takoluka posted:

how many times do we have to tell KT to put Bo Jackson in an Orochi game before they take the hint

He yet lives. Even if he weren't, they'd have to negotiate with his estate. It wouldn't be the weirdest thing he's shown up in, necessarily(ProStars), but I imagine they wouldn't bother.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 18, 2020

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
It's highly unlikely for a number of reasons - KOEI doesn't do licensing, it's a bit weird to put a living person fighting alongside people from hundreds and thousands of years ago. The only way it would happen is likely if Bo or his estate were secretly huge fans or something and would be willing to cut a sweetheart deal to be included.

That's incredibly unlikely, but it is fun to think about the lawyer approaching him. "This is not a sports game, Bo. Instead, you're in a mystical world where the Three Kingdoms Era of China and the warring states period of Japan are brought together alongside a bunch of mythological figures to fight one another in large scale warfare. Swords and sorcery kind of stuff, very anime. Why do they want you for you this, Bo? Well, thirty years ago, your character's stats in a Nintendo game were REALLY REALLY loving good."

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

NameHurtBrain posted:

That's incredibly unlikely, but it is fun to think about the lawyer approaching him. "This is not a sports game, Bo. Instead, you're in a mystical world where the Three Kingdoms Era of China and the warring states period of Japan are brought together alongside a bunch of mythological figures to fight one another in large scale warfare. Swords and sorcery kind of stuff, very anime. Why do they want you for you this, Bo? Well, thirty years ago, your character's stats in a Nintendo game were REALLY REALLY loving good."

He has a Twitter account, and I would love it if the entire Warriors fandom just jumped on this, because that exact conversation needs to happen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The first video game with Shaquille O'Neill's name on it was a fighting game. As long as it's called something like "Bo Jackson's Warriors Orochi" you could probably get there.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Skwirl posted:

The first video game with Shaquille O'Neill's name on it was a fighting game. As long as it's called something like "Bo Jackson's Warriors Orochi" you could probably get there.

"Bo Jackson in the Three Kingdoms" could absolutely be a DLC pack that I'd pay for.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Takoluka posted:

"Bo Jackson in the Three Kingdoms" could absolutely be a DLC pack that I'd pay for.

Bo Knows second century Chinese warfare.

He'd have knocked Lu Bu on his rear end the moment they met.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Skwirl posted:

Bo Knows second century Chinese warfare.

He'd have knocked Lu Bu on his rear end the moment they met.

they would've joined forces and built an empire to stand the test of time

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, a thought. Amidst all my Nostalgia-ing in old Dynasty Warriors games, I've decided to poke my head back into Samurai Warriors 1.

The question is, should I mix in XL from the start, or wait a bit, maybe until clearing all the basegame characters' musou modes?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

So, a thought. Amidst all my Nostalgia-ing in old Dynasty Warriors games, I've decided to poke my head back into Samurai Warriors 1.

The question is, should I mix in XL from the start, or wait a bit, maybe until clearing all the basegame characters' musou modes?
Just jump straight in the deep end with the XL stuff.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Holy gently caress I forgot how much ABSOLUTE CANCER archers and muskets are in Samurai Warriors.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
samurai warriors 1 has this incredibly huge flaw. it scales enemies' power to your level, and this can only truly be overcome by doing an extremely slow SP exploit in akechi's honnoji stage. it's actually way better to just get high level gear (using that same SP grinding stage lol) and powerful lv3 weapons (ultimates if you can manage it) and equip that, because everything will be scaled to the power level of a lv1 character but you'll have the raw stats of a max level character lol

archers? muskets? they can knock you back all day but everything only hits you for 1 damage and you have like 500 health

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

samurai warriors 1 has this incredibly huge flaw. it scales enemies' power to your level, and this can only truly be overcome by doing an extremely slow SP exploit in akechi's honnoji stage. it's actually way better to just get high level gear (using that same SP grinding stage lol) and powerful lv3 weapons (ultimates if you can manage it) and equip that, because everything will be scaled to the power level of a lv1 character but you'll have the raw stats of a max level character lol

archers? muskets? they can knock you back all day but everything only hits you for 1 damage and you have like 500 health

Well, apparently XL removes that enemy-scaling feature. It also removes the idea of "Whoops, you hit max experience on this character but didn't max out their skills or stats? GUESS YOU GOTTA START 'EM OVER, go reset their stats in the menu and try again, scrub", allowing characters to continue gaining skill points and stats even after maxing out their experience.

So that's definitely an up-side. Part of me wants to go ahead and toss in XL now, but on the other hand, I kinda want to wait until I've gone through a few more Story modes. There's just something *satisfying* about actually unlocking all the characters the hard way before moving over to XL and getting them all for free.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

There's just something *satisfying* about actually unlocking all the characters the hard way before moving over to XL and getting them all for free.
Oh yeah, forgot about that side of things.

In any case, the QoL/fixes XL brings to the table are more than worth applying ASAP.

Edit:
Getting the 5* and 6* weapons in DW8XL and I clearly wasn't thinking when I decided to go through with this plan, because some of them definitely mean it's is going to take a long time. "Do X in Y time without Z dying" type requirements are loving horrible because your allies are invariably going to do everything they can to die ASAP.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 21, 2020

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How's One Piece Pirate Warriors 3? I've never read the manga or watched the anime, in case it matters.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Azran posted:

How's One Piece Pirate Warriors 3? I've never read the manga or watched the anime, in case it matters.

I was a HUGE fan of Pirate Warriors 3. I've played my fair share of Warriors games and this is one of the top favorites. Plenty of characters and styles, the story mode is really fun and the Dream Mode provides you a lot to unlock. It's really well done.

It also convinced me to watch the anime too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So assuming I was a huge fan of Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, Berserk and the Band of the Hawk and One Piece Warriors 3 what's another good entry I can try? I'm open to most settings though I will say I bounced pretty hard off of DW8 Legends because it felt really still and awkward compared to the other games I played.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Azran posted:

pirate warriors 3 is fuckin good man. it's about as succinct as the anime should actually be, but various events and settings won't make much sense if you don't have context for them because of how abridged it is. when i played it for the first time, the furthest i had watched one piece was right before nami's arc in east blue and it wasn't confusing or anything. it also came out in the middle of dressrosa so it kind of wings the story on it lol

playing the game and controlling your character felt exquisite.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Zore posted:

So assuming I was a huge fan of Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, Berserk and the Band of the Hawk and One Piece Warriors 3 what's another good entry I can try? I'm open to most settings though I will say I bounced pretty hard off of DW8 Legends because it felt really still and awkward compared to the other games I played.

If you have a last gen non-Nintendo console, you could try Dynasty Warriors Gundam.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Zore posted:

Warriors Orochi 3, especially Ultimate, is probably the single best entry in the franchise, although it uses Dynasty and Samurai Warriors as it's 'core' so if you didn't like DW8 you might wanna give it a taste first.

Other then that, I dunno, you've sampled most of the best of the franchise not tied to Dynasty or Samurai Warriors (as well as Band of the Hawk) so it's tricky to name another game on par with them- WO4 is a definite downgrade from WO3, even with the new update, I've heard the same about PW4 although I haven't played it yet, and I have a hard time recommending Gundam to anyone who isn't already a fan of Gundam unlike PW or Hyrule Warriors because the Gundam games are REALLY basic. Maybe try Samurai Warriors 4/4-2? it's the closest series in 'lineage'' to Dynasty Warriors but the series kinda took a hard right turn starting with 3 so maybe it's different combo and Musou system on top of the general faster pace might entice you more.

I guess All Stars is there too. It exists. I thought it was better then Band of the Hawk for what it's worth, so maybe it's worth a look. If nothing else, it sure is an... odd duck compared to the rest of the franchise.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It looks like a re-release of Sumeragi isn't the only gift we're getting today on Sengoku BASARA's 15th Anniversary. In this week's issue of Famitsu, the producer of the series effectively confirms in an interview that they're developing a new game in the series for PS5.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Too bad that didn't also come with the news that they'd be localizing the rest of the series, as well.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mr. Locke posted:

Warriors Orochi 3, especially Ultimate, is probably the single best entry in the franchise, although it uses Dynasty and Samurai Warriors as it's 'core' so if you didn't like DW8 you might wanna give it a taste first.

Other then that, I dunno, you've sampled most of the best of the franchise not tied to Dynasty or Samurai Warriors (as well as Band of the Hawk) so it's tricky to name another game on par with them- WO4 is a definite downgrade from WO3, even with the new update, I've heard the same about PW4 although I haven't played it yet, and I have a hard time recommending Gundam to anyone who isn't already a fan of Gundam unlike PW or Hyrule Warriors because the Gundam games are REALLY basic. Maybe try Samurai Warriors 4/4-2? it's the closest series in 'lineage'' to Dynasty Warriors but the series kinda took a hard right turn starting with 3 so maybe it's different combo and Musou system on top of the general faster pace might entice you more.

I guess All Stars is there too. It exists. I thought it was better then Band of the Hawk for what it's worth, so maybe it's worth a look. If nothing else, it sure is an... odd duck compared to the rest of the franchise.

I've been playing WO3, enjoying it so far though there are some really aggravating things like the end boss of every stage just stunlocking you to death unless you actually keep out of range :negative: Some characters musou attacks being buffs is also absolutely loving with my muscle memory.

I also have the sneaking suspicion that despite the 137? playable characters I won't ever unlock some of these generic demon captains to play as. They have awesome designs and would be way cooler than the fourth 'big dude with a giant hammer' I have been unlocking so far.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Zore posted:

I've been playing WO3, enjoying it so far though there are some really aggravating things like the end boss of every stage just stunlocking you to death unless you actually keep out of range :negative: Some characters musou attacks being buffs is also absolutely loving with my muscle memory.

I also have the sneaking suspicion that despite the 137? playable characters I won't ever unlock some of these generic demon captains to play as. They have awesome designs and would be way cooler than the fourth 'big dude with a giant hammer' I have been unlocking so far.

Mild spoiler: You actually do unlock a couple of the specific demon captains after the main story. The one with fuma's extendo arms and one of the giant pig design.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Azran posted:

I loved it and was completely unfamiliar with the anime before I played it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

All you need to know about One Piece is that Sanji's cookin' and Chopper's doctorin'.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Pirate warriors is a faithful adaptation of one piece, which is to say that you shouldn't ever pick Sanji on a stage where you have to fight a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Pirate warriors is a faithful adaptation of one piece,

Does it have the rap?