Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ellaybee posted:

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, but after the initial release of the Indomitus box, how do people expect it's minis to be released down the line? Start collecting boxes, or broken down into 5-6 model packs, etc. I'm trying to decide whether to grab a MTO Indomitus box now or hold off until later. It seems wiser to grab one now based on cost, but if I'm wrong I'd be happy to be told so.

I expect the sprues to show up in start collecting necrons/primaris bladeguard eventually. I'd also expect all the units to get single kits eventually but they may take a while (eg the dark imperium ancient, multipart suppressors) for reasons that are entirely unclear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I wonder what the biggest selling individual <£30 warhammer unit/model is

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cooked Auto posted:

GW really need to make more IG heads with hats. Because I have all the right things for a space aussie hunter but missing the slouch hat.
And the only option is Victoria Minis but that's 8 bucks (american) for 8 on top of whatever the half around the globe shipping cost might be. :sigh:
Maybe Anvil Industry i for you? Not got slouch hats specifically, but maybe the Boonie Hat heads could work for your purposes?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Maybe Anvil Industry i for you? Not got slouch hats specifically, but maybe the Boonie Hat heads could work for your purposes?

Yeah I have that store bookmarked and checked those out as well. If I really wanted those would probably be the ones I guess unless Puppetswar adds slouch hats or boonies.
*Insert regular rant about paying £10 in shipping for 7 heads here.*

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah I have that store bookmarked and checked those out as well. If I really wanted those would probably be the ones I guess unless Puppetswar adds slouch hats or boonies.
*Insert regular rant about paying £10 in shipping for 7 heads here.*

I guess maybe you could grab a sprue of Commonwealth Infantry from Warlord? Of course then you've got an entirely superfluous rest of the sprue then, but it could be useful.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Not bad, I'll keep that suggestion in mind. :)

Also their sprues reminds me of GW in the early 00's or so. Pretty sure I could stick a finger or two through some of those gaps.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 21, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cooked Auto posted:

Not bad, I'll keep that suggestion in mind. :)

Also their sprues reminds me of GW in the early 00's or so. Pretty sure I could stick a finger or two through some of those gaps.

I have one of those sprues to hand right now, can confirm.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Ah, that sucks. I was worried about that, looking at the sprue preview. I really want to try to capture that Villain Punk From An 80s Movie energy.

This is legit a head from the original dark eldar set

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

My indomitious box has shipped.

Almost believe it's truly coming.

Would be funny if it arrived before the weekend.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

notaspy posted:

MTO or a pre-order

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

EdsTeioh posted:

MTO or a pre-order

Pre-order

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I'm still holding out a sliver of hope that my LGS will be able to get more in at some point.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Beerdeer posted:

This is legit a head from the original dark eldar set

The hellions set has a head or two like that as well.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I already liked breachers in 8th, but their ‘danger close’ role, maybe even with the invuln guardians drone, seem good for 9th with the emphasis on holding stuff and smaller boards. I honestly don’t think we’ll know an answer to how the super high level tournament competitive stuff works out anytime soon, and it also depends on the rest of your list, but for most games I think a mix of breachers and fire warriors should be good. Tau seem to be taking a bit of a hit by limited HQ slots in 9th, so they’ll either have to pay the command point tax, or make a brigade. Since they have cheap options for most unit categories, the troops is the main cost problem for a brigade. If you’re going that route, 3 fire warrior and 3 breaches seems the way to go for me, maybe even more breachers.

Something to note is that Breachers benefit more than Warriors from the Free Pistols change because of Point Blank Volley. Not exactly something you want to lean on but if the conditions are right it's kind of nuts.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

What's PBV?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
1CP
POINT-BLANK VOLLEY

T’au Empire Stratagem

Some T’au perform complex drills in which they train to operate their weapons at extremely close range.

Use this Stratagem at the start of your Shooting phase. Select one <SEPT> unit from your army. Until the end of that phase, pulse blasters, pulse carbines and pulse rifles models in that unit are equipped with have the Type characteristic of Pistol 2. In addition, until the end of that phase, models in that unit cannot be affected by the Volley Fire ability.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Eej posted:

1CP
POINT-BLANK VOLLEY

T’au Empire Stratagem

Some T’au perform complex drills in which they train to operate their weapons at extremely close range.

Use this Stratagem at the start of your Shooting phase. Select one <SEPT> unit from your army. Until the end of that phase, pulse blasters, pulse carbines and pulse rifles models in that unit are equipped with have the Type characteristic of Pistol 2. In addition, until the end of that phase, models in that unit cannot be affected by the Volley Fire ability.

Huh. So...would they get to use BOTH their Pulse Blasters AND their Pulse Pistols if they were engaged and use this strat? So like each boy would get 3 shots in this case?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yes. Though it'd be two shots at the Pulse Blaster's closest profile and one shot at the Pulse Pistol profile, since they're very different.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yup, before it was just two shots from the Breacher (in the highest damage bracket) but now everyone's got free Pulse Pistols

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Can the Atalan Jackals have two Autpistols plus another weapon? (He said, eyeing Close-Range Shoot Out.)

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Two pistols and a shotgun according to Goonhammer.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I didn't like the preacher models so I made my own from an old pewter scout marine Sgt I had. One of the bits was a Rosarious that came from a sister pack that fit nicely in to his empty hand.
Now I can come up with a fun backstory that he retired from the Space Marines after everyone turned Primaries and decided to join the Adeptus ministerium. His former chapter is unknown since he doesn't like to talk about it :) since he is pewter I sadly couldn't swap his his head but I guess even a priest needs a radio.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Would anyone be able to give a size comparison between a Chaos Forgefiend and a Tyranid Carnifex? I've got an idea brewing.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Would anyone be able to give a size comparison between a Chaos Forgefiend and a Tyranid Carnifex? I've got an idea brewing.

Forgefiend is bigger by a good bit. It's on a proper monster base and fits it well, whereas Carnifexes came on 60s until recently and have a lot of extra room.

Damnably difficult to find a good picture online, let me see if I can grab mine for a picture.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Bonus sneak peek of a mostly finished fex :v:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Amazing, thanks guys.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Eej posted:

Yup, before it was just two shots from the Breacher (in the highest damage bracket) but now everyone's got free Pulse Pistols

Wait so breachers get free pistols now? Cool, I like the way those look

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
So dumb question but what does everyone use to store/transfer minis? There’s so many options out there and I’m just tired of using my dark imperium box to move poo poo around. Already had a few pieces break off some minis.

Just looking for some options that are affordable.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Mountain Lightning posted:

So dumb question but what does everyone use to store/transfer minis? There’s so many options out there and I’m just tired of using my dark imperium box to move poo poo around. Already had a few pieces break off some minis.

I mean I use KR Multicase stuff but it's more expensive than DIY options. Guys in the thread have been talking about magnetising a tin or something and putting metal on bases. If you don't have tons of models you can just get a cardboard KR Multicase without buying a whole bag and stuff.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

real basic: egg cartoons, or plastic cases (costco or hobby shops sell them as hobby/scrapbook case, Ikea sell smaller brick-like cases) with bubble wrap.

Basic: glue rare-earth magnets to bases, stick to inside cookie tins (the "European Cookie Assortment" from Costco is a good example, and is stackable) or lunch boxes for odd sized models.

Real good: buy the plastic trays and canvas bag from https://www.gemsondisplay.com/ , then glue metal shingles to them (the ones from Home Depot are the closest I can find), magnet your minis.check out this site for the full tutorial.

Other good methods: using a pick-and-pluck square with a plastic Costco hobby box, using Games Plus trays with a plastic box off amazon

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Here is my cheaper DIY approach. A two tray stackable steralite plastic container from target, $10. Steel sheet from Home depot, one 12x18" sheet cut into two 12x9" (dremel) fit in each tray was approx. $10. Tape metal sheet to container. Last, magnets glued to the bases, $10-20. So for a pretty sizable army $40 or less should do you.

Sterelite Stack & Carry: https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-large-2-layer-stack-carry-clear-with-green-accents/-/A-14779290
Steel Sheet: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-12-in-x-18-in-22-Gauge-Metal-Sheet-801447/204225782
120 10x2mm magnets from Amazon for 32mm+ bases: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KMXSLRB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
150 6x2mm magnets for 25mm bases: https://www.amazon.com/Magnets-Refr...140&sr=8-5&th=1

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 22, 2020

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

More rules questions: Does line of sight blockers (aka infantry standing in front of a tank) ever provide -1 to hit, or is terrain the only thing capable of providing any kind of statistical benefit?

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Well it took about 5 hours, but I'm pretty happy with how my angry bald inquisitor lady and her pet dragon turned out.

This is the first model I really tried to take some time on and get the face and everything right. I still think the eyes are a little off, but it was my first time not just painting a face a single color and using flesh wash.

I never used to like painting the models as a kid, but it's sort of relaxing now. I guess that's why old people get into model trains or w/e.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Is the 9th Edition stuff shipping this weekend or being delivered? Curious to see the full changes in the rules.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Serdain posted:

More rules questions: Does line of sight blockers (aka infantry standing in front of a tank) ever provide -1 to hit, or is terrain the only thing capable of providing any kind of statistical benefit?

A infantry standing in front of a tank doesn't block line of sight really, as you will normally be able to see parts of the tank through the unit (e.g. You can see the tank through the legs, the gaps between the models etc).

A tank in front of infantry could theoretically block line of sight (maybe this is what you meant). In which case the benefit is that you can't target the unit. You wouldn't gain any other sort of benefit from the tank being there.

The only time you get benefits from cover like ruins etc other than blocking LoS and making you unable to see units are basically when units are in terrain, which obviously can't apply to models standing behind a tank.

There's also a weird interaction right now where RAW if there's a forest between my artillery piece that ignores LoS and the unit I'm shooting the dense cover rule means I get -1 to hit even though I'm clearly shooting over the forest rather than through it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
VEHICLES that are also CHARACTERS do get protected by other units via Look Out, Sir so that's a thing

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Eej posted:

VEHICLES that are also CHARACTERS do get protected by other units via Look Out, Sir so that's a thing

That's a good point, also that Vehicles are potentially a good screen for characters in 9th (and this also relates back to discussion on using MSU units for breaches and strike teams for tau).

The rules now being you need to be within 3" of a squad of at least 3 models means clearing screens to get at characters is a lot easier. Even a 5 man terminator squad can be "negated" as a screen by killing 3 terminators, which isn't a lot really. So if you have a squad of 5 GEQ or MEQ to screen a character, you actually want several squads.

The exception to this is vehicles, which will of course act as a screen until the moment they are dead.

So one of the tricky things with the MSU tactics is it makes characters potentially more vulnerable, which is one of the difficulties I'm having with Grey Knights. Having a ten man blob of Paladins i think is still the way to go, because they rely on stratagems so much splitting them up reduces the points your defending with those stratagems, and those strats offset weakness to blast. However the 5 man Strike Squads can't be used to screen characters anymore as killing 3 marines (regardless of the toys they are holding and powers in their head) is trivial.

I'm considering a long range dreadnought to stand behind terrain at the back with Astral Aim so I can stand a librarian next to them to cast warp manipulation and maybe do the psychic ritual secondary tucked away at the back. Then again, you can outflank with reserves now so he wouldn't be that safe if my opponent uses them.

This is going to be one of the trickier parts for armies that rely on characters that relied on targeting rules to protect them in 8th.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

notaspy posted:

Best to check the actual tracking before getting too excited! You ordered with Firestorm IIRC and they are advance printing labels and packing boxes for a scheduled pickup Friday, as they laid out in an email last weekend. I've had a tracking code since Monday and it's not en route yet, as expected.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Shallow posted:

Best to check the actual tracking before getting too excited! You ordered with Firestorm IIRC and they are advance printing labels and packing boxes for a scheduled pickup Friday, as they laid out in an email last weekend. I've had a tracking code since Monday and it's not en route yet, as expected.

ahhh, that would it explain why the thing hasn't been picked-up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ro5s posted:

Bonus sneak peek of a mostly finished fex :v:

I really like that natural bone look. Nice work!