Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The last time a terrorist was threatening to blow up a bridge in Kyiv, and was also fairly quickly neutralised under the watchful eye of Minister of Internal Affairs Avakov himself, who used is as a perfect opportunity to show off new special forces equipment in action. Consequently, because the terrorist was a veteran, Avakov made sure he wouldn't go to prison. This guy won't probably be offered the same leniency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is Ukraine better or worse off than it was in 2014?
Wasn't the main point of removing Yanukovych that he neglected the western provinces and EU in favor of Russia?
How is Western Ukraine doing now?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Grouchio posted:

Is Ukraine better or worse off than it was in 2014?
Wasn't the main point of removing Yanukovych that he neglected the western provinces and EU in favor of Russia?
How is Western Ukraine doing now?

I mean, with an ongoing military conflict it would be unfair to expect economy to boom. On the plus side, Ukrainians get to visit EU without needing a visa, but with economical issues exacerbated by the loss of territories, it's not a surprise that more and more people from Western Ukraine have to rely on manual labour work in Poland and other EU countries, and more of them decide not to return.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
The fact that one set of looter oligarchs has been replaced by another probably hasn't helped either.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mila kunis posted:

The fact that one set of looter oligarchs has been replaced by another probably hasn't helped either.

Most of them haven't been replaced either. Akhmetov, Kolomoyskyi, Pinchuk, Firtash, and of course Poroshenko are doing very well for themselves no matter what.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Post-Soviet politics sure is a hell of a depressant. What caused all of this corruption and stagnation to fester instead of welfare and security like in the Baltics?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Grouchio posted:

Post-Soviet politics sure is a hell of a depressant. What caused all of this corruption and stagnation to fester instead of welfare and security like in the Baltics?

The initial looting of the state during the transition creating huge fortunes and power bases for a handful of oligarchs.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wish at lease some of our worlds' oligarchs are sympathetic to the middle classes. Is philanthropy a foreign concept in the third world?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Second world :eng101:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Grouchio posted:

The baltics are tiny countries and idk if they're doing so well either. At least one of them relied on buying into the financial bubble of the 2000s and hasn't recovered since the crash, with net emigration and actually losing population year on year. I remember reading one of them trying to market themselves as a "tech hub" with their leader talking about the exciting possibilities of "blockchain" and I wonder how they've been doing since. I think another one survives by being a tax dodging shithole

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 21, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We seem to be forgetting that Putin was elected by berezovsky after Yeltsin spied his drink one too many times.

In conclusion, every post soviet country has oligarchs in some way shape or form.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:siren :He actually loving did it the absolute madman!

quote:

Mr Zelensky held talks with the hostage-taker, which his spokeswoman Yuliya Mendel said had led to the release of the first three hostages.

The president then posted a brief video on his Facebook page in which he said in Russian the words: "Everyone should watch the 2005 film Earthlings."

One of the demands of the hostage-taker had been for the president to encourage people to watch the 2005 Hollywood-made animal rights documentary.

Shortly afterwards, Mr Avakov announced the end of the siege, and Mr Zelensky deleted the video.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53489527

Lol that this was his demand. Anyway everyone is safe and unharmed, including the hostage taker.

Paladinus posted:

It's a bit deceptive to say he's from Russia. Both of his parents are Ukrainians, and only lived in Russia, where he was born, for several years. They moved back to Ukraine when he still was a child. It's like saying Tolkien is from South Africa.
Yeah that's pretty dumb even if he were still a Russian citizen (no idea if he is).

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
yeah, what.

https://twitter.com/komadovsky/status/1285697862853107714

WHAT

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CYKA BLYAT

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Grouchio posted:

The Baltics went through massive reforms of their states and economies with support and investment from the EU and have established modern working democracies with rule of law and free press. Modern Russian society isn't substantially less corrupt than the Soviet Union was. Like, it was a deeply corrupt and dysfunctional society with a centrally planned economy and now it's a deeply corrupt and dysfunctional society with a mixed economy. Nothing has really changed and nobody seriously tried to reform things.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

GABA ghoul posted:

The Baltics went through massive reforms of their states and economies with support and investment from the EU and have established modern working democracies with rule of law and free press. Modern Russian society isn't substantially less corrupt than the Soviet Union was. Like, it was a deeply corrupt and dysfunctional society with a centrally planned economy and now it's a deeply corrupt and dysfunctional society with a mixed economy. Nothing has really changed and nobody seriously tried to reform things.

In addition to that the Baltic countries had some democratic institution and traditions from the interwar period (and before) and refugee intellectuals from that period in the Western countries who shared the same historic and cultural background and worked on providing international support and building functional institutions after the collapse of the USSR. Not sure if Ukraine had anything like that.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Grouchio posted:

Short answer - money. Earn money now and gently caress off to somewhere where you won't get shot, judged on false claims, extorted etc etc
Long answer is a bit too long even for a forum. Long, nasty, anger inducing and it starts with a quote of an american economist that analysed and summarised it all with a phrase along the lines of 'people after USSR fell started to build capitalism as they saw it in movies. Easy money, cheap work force and corruption'. Hell, who wouldn't want a slice of pie when you grow from earning $100-$300 a month to seeing million-fold sums just flowing freely through your hands with great opportunities to circumvent certain laws, cheap out on several things and earn steal earn your annual salary in one day? The soviet custom of 'give a chocolate to the official managing your problem for 'motivation' so your papers will get sorted in faster time than dictated' added up a lot to the grey area of monetary and gift exchanges 'behind the scenes'.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Short answer - money. Earn money now and gently caress off to somewhere where you won't get shot, judged on false claims, extorted etc etc
Long answer is a bit too long even for a forum. Long, nasty, anger inducing and it starts with a quote of an american economist that analysed and summarised it all with a phrase along the lines of 'people after USSR fell started to build capitalism as they saw it in movies. Easy money, cheap work force and corruption'. Hell, who wouldn't want a slice of pie when you grow from earning $100-$300 a month to seeing million-fold sums just flowing freely through your hands with great opportunities to circumvent certain laws, cheap out on several things and earn steal earn your annual salary in one day? The soviet custom of 'give a chocolate to the official managing your problem for 'motivation' so your papers will get sorted in faster time than dictated' added up a lot to the grey area of monetary and gift exchanges 'behind the scenes'.
If there are any great books on post-soviet economics you have in mind, feel free to share 'em.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Isn't this somewhat contradicted by many former East Block states having been exposed to the same influence and forced post Soviet collapse but still manage to transition to a working modern society? Countries like Poland, Czech Republic or Slovakia are basically on the same level as southern Europe in terms of corruption perception nowadays.

Also, I think you are really understating how massive and pervasive corruption was in the Soviet Union throughout every layer of state, economy and society. "If you don't steal from the state, you are stealing from your family" was basically the unofficial motto of the 80s Soviet Union.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

As I said, to expand it to a longer post would take a great deal of time because everything contributed to what it became. From "If you don't steal from the state, you are stealing from your family" to constant nepotism and many other things. One might say it's a job for a lifetime and Paul Klebnikov would agree on that. Yes it was corrupted back in USSR but it can be traced back to 50's even. That's what you get when you let ex criminals govern a nation I guess.
On the eastern europe - it still retains some of the things, but to a much lesser extent. Although they always had way more influence from neighbouring 'europe' than ussr

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 22, 2020

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Closer ties to Russia and post-soviet elite, more industry and resources to pillage

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I would say that admission to EU changed a lot for many Eastern bloc countries, because first those countries needed to fulfill various political, legislative and economical conditions to be admitted (and there was a lure of EU grants to steal from) and after their admission they still need to follow various regulations and of course they received a lot of money from EU to build or repair infrastructure and so on. Some of it was stolen, because corruption still exists, but their governments can't just shrug it off.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Grouchio posted:

If there are any great books on post-soviet economics you have in mind, feel free to share 'em.

though more about the characters involved than the raw economics, https://www.amazon.com/Oligarchs-Wealth-Power-New-Russia/dp/1610390709 is a wild ride.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

This is from Trimp's facebook account. Notice anything particular about the image on the right?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

This is from Trimp's facebook account. Notice anything particular about the image on the right?

LOOKS like the cop is actively attempting to savage someone and the protestors are simply trying to take his batton away.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
It's a photo from the 2014 Ukraine protests

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

szary posted:

hahahah loving lol i didnt realize that. that's gold.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

szary posted:

:)

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

The fact that there are two SSh-68s in a photo is a dead giveaway.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Preview of something we're planning to publish tomorrow

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1287502223719706626
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1287667463942025216

I'd genuinely like to know the origin of "tune my pow".

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

Frankly I'm offended by his blatant attack on the chill forum.

Also, this is pretty funny if this is what they think the average joe six pack American sounds like.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hello Bill. My Name ist Boris Borisovitch and every day I get up at 8 and eat potato and put on fur hat. How do you do?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

same energy

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Brown Moses posted:

"Jenny works as a waitress at a roadside diner". Jesus Christ, has this dude seen anything American made after 1965?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

"Solve questions with his enemies" is such a delicious direct translation from Russian.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

fatherboxx posted:

"Solve questions with his enemies" is such a delicious direct translation from Russian.

From mobster russian even

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

As we say in America, work's not a wolf, it won't run off into the woods.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Our investigation also led Prigozhin's RIA FAN fake news site to publish fake direct messages from one of my colleagues threatening and attempting to bribe RIA FAN staff members, which, as it will turn out, was a really bad idea.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Americans should really make up their mind, is the troll farm interference really pathetic or did it get Trump elected.
Also as we say in America, either put your briefs back on or take off the cross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I want a Catzilla now.