Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
ugh yeah I forgot some nylon stuff starts getting sticky as it breaks down. If that's the case then you're probably SOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have a 1,9kg tent already (scarp 2) which is the best, except weight. I made plans for a copy of Notch, slightly enlarged. With 50cm carbon struts in the end triangle. I calculated it would be around 1-1,1kg from 20D silpoly, calendared nylon innertent + some noseeum... I never had the courage to try to sew one because the mats are already like $200+.

Maybe this winter.. I've been doing some smaller and larger sewing projects and sewing a tent doesn't feel impossible anymore.

--

Did an one night trip to nearby National park. Got enough from silnylon stuff sacks as pillows, and bought a thermarest trekker pillow cover. 70g extra weight.. for comfort. Also bought a choglans mirror. I got some soreness/pain around my butt which ended up being my cheeks rubbing to each other. I assumed that would be it but I couldn't check... At least I had vaseline with me. I can check for ticks with the mirror too.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 20, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dangerllama posted:

I had the same thing happen to a Quarter Dome over the course of a year or two. The stickiness is a sign of the waterproof coating delaminating. You can get an estimate from REI’s repair partner but it’s likely you’ll have to replace the rain fly. If the tent is from 2005 I’d just get a new one.

I’ll note here for completeness that if the tent is from 2005, you can return it for a refund/credit since it’s grandfathered in. Though that’s probably not the most ethical path.

The two lessons I learned from my experience:

- Take your tent out several times a season and, ideally, store it loose, rather than in its sack. Tents need to off-gas.
- Be careful when buying REI tents because you effectively get a one-year warranty.

hmm i dont think they grandfathered anyone in after the return policy changed in 2013 but i think i'll probably just look for a new one, i dont really have faith that this is fixable. its super gross. maybe i'll keep it for the dog if we ever try taking her with us.

what's a good bet for a 2 person backpacking tent, max budget is 250?

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you
Has anyone gotten hands on an MSR Habitude 4 or 6?

I’m looking for my first family tent and for a fall hunting tent that can hold 3 guys and gear when we aren’t backpacking in. I’ve been using backpacking tents for 2 decades and I want something bigger that actually isn’t completely garbage. I was seriously looking at the North Face Wawona 6 but it by all accounts is too drafty for camping in freezing temperatures.

I’ve considered getting a seek outside tipi but it’s a lot more money and needing the bug liner during summer negates a lot of advantages for me to get one big enough. I’d still like to get a Cimmaron with a stove for backcountry trips but I’m so so on the added footprint size for pitching a red cliff or 8P tipi in the mountains.

In the past I would have considered the Cabelas Alaskan guide series tents but Cabelas gear has gone down hill for a decade or so now that I won’t buy an $800 tent from them.

This year I’ll be in the Wyoming Bighorns in mid October and that means the possibility of significant snowfall for this tent.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Flatland Crusoe posted:

I’m looking for my first family tent and for a fall hunting tent that can hold 3 guys and gear when we aren’t backpacking in. I’ve been using backpacking tents for 2 decades and I want something bigger that actually isn’t completely garbage. I was seriously looking at the North Face Wawona 6 but it by all accounts is too drafty for camping in freezing temperatures.

I’ve considered getting a seek outside tipi but it’s a lot more money and needing the bug liner during summer negates a lot of advantages for me to get one big enough. I’d still like to get a Cimmaron with a stove for backcountry trips but I’m so so on the added footprint size for pitching a red cliff or 8P tipi in the mountains.

In the past I would have considered the Cabelas Alaskan guide series tents but Cabelas gear has gone down hill for a decade or so now that I won’t buy an $800 tent from them.

This year I’ll be in the Wyoming Bighorns in mid October and that means the possibility of significant snowfall for this tent.

I have a Wawona 6 and I like it, it's massive and would comfortably house 3 large adult men with gear (with some gear in the very large vestibule). I haven't used it in freezing conditions, so I don't know how warm it would be. It has stayed dry through several heavy rainstorms though.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

armorer posted:

I have a Wawona 6 and I like it, it's massive and would comfortably house 3 large adult men with gear (with some gear in the very large vestibule). I haven't used it in freezing conditions, so I don't know how warm it would be. It has stayed dry through several heavy rainstorms though.

Is it reasonable to adjust the pitch height to open or restrict airflow? I really like that tent otherwise but it doesn’t sound Ideal when it’s 15 degrees F outside on a windy mountain.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
If you're looking to use it routinely in high winds/possible snow load circumstances, you might want to look into more 4 season/mountaineering tents thats are designed for that type of stuff. You might be pushing most 3 season backpacking/camping tents limits in those conditions. They're heavier and more expensive but also typically very robustly built and meant to handle absolutely terrible conditions. I would definitely look for something with a vestibule to give you more usable room. If you're never going to hike it in anywhere, then yeah, get something big, just make sure it has secure anchoring though lower tents will always do better in high wind. One of my hockey buddies has a hilleburg mountaineering tent that he uses for elk/late season big game hunting all over the western US. Its significantly more robust than my backpacking tent.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Verman posted:

If you're looking to use it routinely in high winds/possible snow load circumstances, you might want to look into more 4 season/mountaineering tents thats are designed for that type of stuff. You might be pushing most 3 season backpacking/camping tents limits in those conditions. They're heavier and more expensive but also typically very robustly built and meant to handle absolutely terrible conditions. I would definitely look for something with a vestibule to give you more usable room. If you're never going to hike it in anywhere, then yeah, get something big, just make sure it has secure anchoring though lower tents will always do better in high wind. One of my hockey buddies has a hilleburg mountaineering tent that he uses for elk/late season big game hunting all over the western US. Its significantly more robust than my backpacking tent.

You are right that I’m right on the ragged edge of a 3/4 season tent.

The problem with the 4 season tents is that they are either smaller 1-3P tents or big gear stations for 8 people that cost like $2k and won’t breathe particularly well for summer family use.

The habitude has a lot of extra tie down points and pretty robust pole structure. It’s also light enough that 12-13 lbs that it could be packed into the backcountry for a larger group as well.

No doubt hilleberg makes some bomb proof tents, it’s also potentially more than I need too.

Part of the appeal of a bigger tent is the ability to stand up and be a bit less cramped.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Flatland Crusoe posted:

Is it reasonable to adjust the pitch height to open or restrict airflow? I really like that tent otherwise but it doesn’t sound Ideal when it’s 15 degrees F outside on a windy mountain.

You can't really change the pitch height. There are two poles that cross to form the main body of the tent, a third that kind of runs above the "front" entrance (where the large vestibule is) and a fourth that goes at the very front of the vestibule. The design requires that both vestibules be staked in order for them to stay open properly. It's an "integrated rainfly" by which they really mean that the tent walls are essentially your rainfly. I was concerned they might leak, but they held up well so far. The front and rear doors on the tent are 100% mesh, so keeping the vestibules zipped up front and rear is a requirement if you want to keep the elements out. There are also two mesh panels at the top of the tent, with non-mesh covers that have vertical side zippers. with the zippers down, there's some velcro that holds the fabric over the mesh, or there are there little rod things that you can use to hold the flap open for airflow but still keep some rain out. Alternately you can unzip the sides on the flaps and roll the panels up to expose both mesh sections.

I'm 5'11" and can stand up without issue in there. I think you could sleep 5 adults alternating heads/feet across the floor and not be touching. I've had 3 adults in there on a few trips and it felt very spacious. The front vestibule was large anough to house two coolers, all of our cookware, and several backpacks, while still allowing for unimpeded access to both zip side doors. There's no floor beneath it, but all of that also stayed dry through some heavy rain. Even if you packed the vestibule to the point of inaccessibility, you can still enter and exit from the more typical low-slung vestibule on the back.

I would have some concerns about stability in high winds, especially if the terrain didn't allow you to stake the tent securely. It's a tall tent, with sides that end up mostly just sticking straight up at first before they form a dome, and I could see it rolling where a more angled, lower slung design wouldn't. My uses of it so far have all been car camping in comfort, rather than using my aging 2-man tent. I think it would make a great home base for a hunting trip, space-wise, in a lot of different terrain, but maybe not in mountain winds. If that's your primary use case I would look to one of the other options.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

The other tent I had considered is the Big Agnes Madhouse 6. It’s definitely another option that I could get at a decent price point.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Flatland Crusoe posted:

The other tent I had considered is the Big Agnes Madhouse 6. It’s definitely another option that I could get at a decent price point.

I have no personal experience with that one, but the floor area and vestibule area are both larger than the Wawona 6, and the design at least looks more wind-worthy to my eye.

(Edit: the MSRP is also more than twice the Wawona 6)

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Flatland Crusoe posted:

I'd highly recommend canvas whatever you choose, if I remember I spent 700 on a 12x14 wall for when it gets utterly lovely in october and november, and the stove alone makes it night and day vs nylon. I've used the gigantic nylon tents before and they just uniformly ended up being bitterly cold no matter how many people you cram in there. If you're careful with UV exposure (plastic cover if you leave it up for months in summer) and moisture that should be a one time purchase.

There's a ton of small canvas manufacturers in idaho, montana, wyoming, colorado. I think they're almost all reputable, and most of their business is from outfitters who may have 10 or more tents at their base+outer camps. I got mine from montana canvas in Missoula, if it matters.

thatguy fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 21, 2020

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

thatguy posted:

I'd highly recommend canvas whatever you choose, if I remember I spent 700 on a 12x14 wall for when it gets utterly lovely in october and november, and the stove alone makes it night and day vs nylon. I've used the gigantic nylon tents before and they just uniformly ended up being bitterly cold no matter how many people you cram in there. If you're careful with UV exposure (plastic cover if you leave it up for months in summer) and moisture that should be a one time purchase.

There's a ton of small canvas manufacturers in idaho, montana, wyoming, colorado. I think they're almost all reputable, and most of their business is from outfitters who may have 10 or more tents at their base+outer camps. I got mine from montana canvas in Missoula, if it matters.

I have zero desire to have a canvas wall tent, full stop.

They are huge and heavy and are functionally permanent for they week you are out there. I fly out west quite a bit as well and would like the option to check the tent for airline travel. Just the size of a canvas tent packed down pushes 2 guys in a truck into needing a trailer very quickly. It’s just a gateway into turning maintaining camp as half the process rather than hunting. If I wanted that form factor I’d probably get the Seek Outside Courthouse.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Flatland Crusoe posted:

I have zero desire to have a canvas wall tent, full stop.

They are huge and heavy and are functionally permanent for they week you are out there. I fly out west quite a bit as well and would like the option to check the tent for airline travel. Just the size of a canvas tent packed down pushes 2 guys in a truck into needing a trailer very quickly. It’s just a gateway into turning maintaining camp as half the process rather than hunting. If I wanted that form factor I’d probably get the Seek Outside Courthouse.

Yeah that won't work for you then, it's rare that I encounter private hunters that aren't going out strictly from road access, and those that do are always using stock with a months long camp setup, but we're primary elk, mule and the occasional moose tags.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

thatguy posted:

Yeah that won't work for you then, it's rare that I encounter private hunters that aren't going out strictly from road access, and those that do are always using stock with a months long camp setup, but we're primary elk, mule and the occasional moose tags.

Yeah I’ve been going DIY public land backpack hunting for half a decade now out west. I’m just trying to find a more comfortable option than a Big Agnes Slater UL1 and Exo 3500 to live out of during the October and November seasons when we are moving around and hiking in 1-2 miles for a day hunts. Depending on what state and unit I draw we might backpack 7 miles into the wilderness, rent a cabin if available or live out of tents. It’s so dependent on the unit, season and if we are doing elk, mule deer or antelope and how the unit lays out.

There are so many traps I’m trying to avoid while trying to get a more comfortable camp. Requiring an enclosed trailer and an F250 just to get out there is chief among them. I’m just trying to be comfortable enough to not need a mid hunt hotel room when we aren’t in the hardcore backcountry. Lots of good/drawable units have roads every 2-4 miles and don’t reward being fix or just living in the backcountry.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Do people seriously not know how to arc a pee stream out of a hammock lmao

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ok new tent time:

https://www.rei.com/product/168434/rei-co-op-passage-3-tent-with-footprint

vs

https://www.rei.com/product/164811/mountain-hardwear-mineral-king-3-tent-with-footprint

definitely want to stay under 300 including taxes

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Should we try to get a gear review thread going? I am sure there are more than a few of us who have gone through a number of different tents, backpacks etc. Not sure if it's possible to structure it in some manner so that it could be searched?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 21, 2020

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Should we try to get a gear review thread going? I am sure there are more than a few of us who have gone through a number of different tents, backpacks etc. Not sure if it's possible to structure it in some manner so that it could be searched?

My only hesitation is that this thread already kind of serves that function, people just need to ask about a specific type of equipment and most are keen to offer their experience. Considering this whole thread is dedicated to just gear, having a separate review thread might split the audiences attention. My other point is that gear changes yearly so it's possible that it might not stay relevant or current as gear changes. I have a lot of experience with different gear, but at this point none of my backpacks are current models, same with my sleeping bag, tent etc. It would also need to be searchable for best usage. If you want to do a review thread, go for it. Maybe it will pick up steam.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I have a passage 1 and 2 and I give the passage series a big thumbs up. Is it as light and packable as my friend’s 350 dollar tent? No way. Is it a quality tent for the cost? Absolutely.

I’ll probably get something lighter someday but at the moment this one does everything I need it to for multi-day trips and I trust it.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Verman posted:

My only hesitation is that this thread already kind of serves that function, people just need to ask about a specific type of equipment and most are keen to offer their experience. Considering this whole thread is dedicated to just gear, having a separate review thread might split the audiences attention. My other point is that gear changes yearly so it's possible that it might not stay relevant or current as gear changes. I have a lot of experience with different gear, but at this point none of my backpacks are current models, same with my sleeping bag, tent etc. It would also need to be searchable for best usage. If you want to do a review thread, go for it. Maybe it will pick up steam.

You make a great point re: availability of the gear. Thinking about it half of the stuff I have can't be found new today, or has been revised so it's not quite the same anymore. We can just gear whore out in this thread instead and see where it goes.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Verman posted:

I was going to recommend an REI tent that I love to someone a few pages ago and then realized they don't sell it anymore. Just seeing all the new stuff pop up in thread here is way more useful than watching some dipshit YouTuber cockgobble about some quilt for 35 minutes.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Flatland Crusoe posted:

If you want a bombproof tent and are willing to spend some money, at least consider an HMG pyramid https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/collections/ultralight-backpacking-shelters-tents/products/ultamid-4-ultralight-pyramid-tent

They can take on nearly any weather in the world, are super light in your pack, and could fit 3-4 people sleeping. The price is rough but if that's the range you are considering, worth having on the list to look at and read some reviews on.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 21, 2020

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

gohuskies posted:

If you want a bombproof tent and are willing to spend some money, at least consider an HMG pyramid https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/collections/ultralight-backpacking-shelters-tents/products/ultamid-4-ultralight-pyramid-tent

They can take on nearly any weather in the world, are super light in your pack, and could fit 3-4 people sleeping, though not as comfortable to hang out in for hours. The price is rough but if that's the range you are considering, worth having on the list to look at and read some reviews on.

The point is to have enough space to be more than backpacking tent comfortable. Also with a yard sell of gear for a week long elk hunt I need to at least half the capacity of a tent at best. I don’t think I would go single wall without a Ti Stove like on a seek outside, kifaru or jimmy tarps tent either and I would need a bigger model.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
what are some good folding camping chairs that have some kind of back to them and fold down nice and small? drinkholder optional. couldnt see this addressed on first or last page...

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Breath Ray posted:

what are some good folding camping chairs that have some kind of back to them and fold down nice and small? drinkholder optional. couldnt see this addressed on first or last page...

Helinox has a variety. https://helinox.com/collections/all-chairs

I have two of the Chair Ones and they're great.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
woah those look great, thanks. the sub-100 euro ones are all sold out but as work are giving us 100 towards wfh office chairs, i might spring for one

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

REI and other sporting goods/camping stores generally stock them. Might check around local.

Edit or the euro equivalent of REI, etc.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Breath Ray posted:

https://www.bigagnes.com/Skyline-UL-Chair

I have this one that I like. 765g is hard to beat.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

You can get bootlegs of the Helinox on amazon for like $30

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Sockser posted:

gently caress it. I’m willing to take the probation and/or ban for this one.

It should be worth the extra $70 to $90 to buy a product from a country not actively doing genocide.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.rei.com/product/129651/alite-stonefly-chair

I am a chunky dude, and have this. It supports 225 lbs, rocks back on the back feet, has a lifetime warranty, and I paid far more for it. I did do one mod to put some heatshrink on the front leg/foot/thing to give it some kind of protection.

edit: Scrapping my recommendation, the company appears to have gone out of business, and the website is dead, thus rendering the warranty part moot.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 22, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Dangerllama posted:

It should be worth the extra $70 to $90 to buy a product from a country not actively doing genocide.
Okay, bear with me here. How about instead I pay $70 more for a product that may or may not be genocide adjacent? I don't see any claims about this company making sure their supply chains are ethical.

Cottage industry camping stuff is pretty cool, but they usually don't have the means to dig into the provenance of their inputs.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

CopperHound posted:

Okay, bear with me here. How about instead I pay $70 more for a product that may or may not be genocide adjacent? I don't see any claims about this company making sure their supply chains are ethical.

Cottage industry camping stuff is pretty cool, but they usually don't have the means to dig into the provenance of their inputs.

I don’t have the answers to your questions but I’m gonna do the best I can on this one. The perfect is the enemy of the good.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 22, 2020

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Sockser posted:

I know, I wish I'd known that before I paid for the real ones. (which are pretty good btw)

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Dangerllama posted:

and not from a retailer like Amazon neither!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Are Coleman propane stoves the standard, or are there other better options (within the same price range) I should consider? I've no experience using portable propane stoves like this, but it's one step closer to getting Ms Cookies to go into The Great Outdoors with me, I'll do it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Assuming you mean a two burner tabletop stove, Coleman stoves are pretty popular yeah. I have a competitor's stove though, and have been very happy with it for car camping:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S3HDBO/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Rotten Cookies posted:

Are Coleman propane stoves the standard, or are there other better options (within the same price range) I should consider? I've no experience using portable propane stoves like this, but it's one step closer to getting Ms Cookies to go into The Great Outdoors with me, I'll do it.

They are pretty solid especially since they have gone away from auto ignition and just require manually lighting. They don’t throw a ton of BTU’s, like 10k?, and propane starts to suck a bit at altitude if that’s in the cards. Otherwise they are the best option until you spend like 2-4x their cost.