Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

beer pal posted:

whts up yobbos heres what ive been reading. the calvino book winter traveler night is very silly and fun and good. u ever read a book and think wow the author really seemed like they were having a good time with this one. then i read the short stories collection exhalation by ted chiang and thought it was pretty good. i would describe it as "solid". i finally finished a scanner darkly by phillip k dick which was my book for at work and i didnt much like it, i found it very ugly in a way that i didnt enjoy. just this morning finished the sailor who fell from grace w/ the sea by yukio mishima & i dont know how to talk about a book like that so ill just say "its a wild one"

The only mishima i've read so far was spring snow but i really enjoyed that one. should read the rest of those books at some point. Calvino owns. Love everything i've ever read of his.

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

my nonfiction streak has continued with yasha levine's surveillance valley and today i just started the end of policing after finally getting a physical copy

take the moon

by sebmojo

beer pal posted:

the sailor who fell from grace w/ the sea by yukio mishima

idk anythin bout this or the author but that's a dank title lol

sry u didn't like pkd.

I haven't been able to read much l8ly I'm becoming one or those. gotta stay trashed and reading freal

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ulvir

beer pal posted:

hell ya. u read any other calvino? probably gonna pick up invisible cities before too long

invisible cities is pretty great and imaginative too, if you like that one I can also recommend Borges

beer pal

ah yes, guy de borges

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

beer pal

take the moon posted:

idk anythin bout this or the author but that's a dank title lol

sry u didn't like pkd.

I haven't been able to read much l8ly I'm becoming one or those. gotta stay trashed and reading freal

its a great title i love a nice long evocative title, others in this genre i like are "drive your plow over the bones of the dead" and "we have always lived in the castle"

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

quote:

Kangaroo Jack hates reading and hates enriching his mind, so those bozos posting in byob will never think to look for me here, amongst the freakin nerds hehehe you've done it again kangaroo jack i say to myself

Gotcha you little bastard
"KANGAROO JACK I FOUND YOU NOW
U R NOT A DOG OR CAT OR COW
KANGAROO JACK ITS YOU I HATE
IT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT A G'DAY, MATE"

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 23, 2020

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

more falafel please

forums poster

xcheopis posted:

The second in Lewis' space trilogy is decent, the final one not so much.

Kangaroo Jack hates reading and hates enriching his mind, so those bozos posting in byob will never think to look for me here, amongst the freakin nerds hehehe you've done it again kangaroo jack i say to myself

KANGAROO JACK I FOUND YOU NOW
IT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT A G'DAY, MATE

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

more falafel please posted:

KANGAROO JACK I FOUND YOU NOW
IT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT A G'DAY, MATE

gently caress you jack, like seriously gently caress you

xcheopis

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Gotcha you little bastard
"KANGAROO JACK I FOUND YOU NOW
IT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT A G'DAY, MATE"

I don't get it.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

xcheopis posted:

I don't get it.
It’s part of the byob advent calendar nut is doing!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3930934&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post506711590

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

xcheopis

Wow, that is unchill.

3D Megadoodoo

i'm reading a book about art forgeries called "art forgeries" and it's rather badly written but very interesting and well-sourced. i think the only kind of "true crime" books i enjoy reading are ones where only rich people are affected.

e: oh i didn't know the writer was the lady from the antiques tv show but i guess it makes sense. also used to be married to a guy i know (of) through work. small country i guess.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 23, 2020

take the moon

by sebmojo

beer pal posted:

"we have always lived in the castle"

this is a song i like i didnt kno it was a book

----------------

take the moon

by sebmojo
bedtime/stoned reading: kafka on teh shore
vape-walking book on tape: last winter we parted by fuminori nakamura

----------------

beer pal

im having a great time reading dracula

nut

beer pal posted:

when I read Dracula I was like let’s get this lame gothic poo poo over with and two years later I had read it like three times because it owns

Thunder Moose

S.J.C.
Stormlight Archive and all Cosmere books

Kingkiller Chronicles (RIP book 3 though)

Dune (again)

3D Megadoodoo

beer pal posted:

i lost my frankenstein* on the bus :(

*) IT*S ACRTUALLY MY COPY OF "FRANKENSTEIN"

MockingQuantum

beer pal posted:

I think you left out a comma in this sentence

beer pal posted:

im having a great time reading, dracula

there you go. he told me to tell you he's really proud of you, beer pal

thank you luvcow for the sig

nut

I tried to start the second portion of Savage Detectives by Robert Bolano today but I just found myself hating how the book is gonna be told for the next huge hunk. I think I’m just too dumb and wholly unfamiliar with poetry, let alone poets in Latin America specifically, so I’m abandoning it. I actually was getting heated at how inaccessible it felt to me.

Musluk

That was me with Borges - I was just reading two lines and getting angry at labyrinths.

currently reading neuromancer... or trying to. I read 20 pages then fall asleep. That's mostly because my bed is too comfy and I refuse to read anywhere else, but still.

Vanisheerrrrrr!!!

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

nut posted:

Robert Bolano

I really enjoyed 2666 even though it was unfinished

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

nut

magic cactus posted:

I really enjoyed 2666 even though it was unfinished

ya i only picked up savage detectives because of how highly people speak of him but I just can't with savage detectives

Musluk posted:

That was me with Borges - I was just reading two lines and getting angry at labyrinths.

Thanks, this made me feel a lot better and gives me the chance 2 move on to the next book :sun:

Evil Bob

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
I just ordered two Procrastination Self Help Books. We'll see how far I get into those. Or if I ever open them.

Also ordered Beneath the Rising:

Genres: Horror fiction, Alternate history, Coming-of-age story, Fantasy Fiction, Urban fantasy, Occult Fiction

So that should be fun.

Jigglesby

I'm listening to shelby footes The Civil War, can't get enough of grover gardner

Finger Prince

I just finished the left hand of darkness. It was pretty good, I enjoyed it. I felt there was a bit of unnecessary explaining with some of it, but I put that down to a product of its time, where maybe the audiences of the day needed the hours of the day or the words for dwellings explained to them. But after tapping the second asterisk or so, I just ignored them and got on with reading. I wonder how the original text handled it? Probably footnotes. Some bits were predictable but it was a good story overall, a bit allegorical, but not heavy about it, more just an examination of the human condition.
Thanks for the recommendation!

Evil Bob

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.

Finger Prince posted:

I just finished the left hand of darkness. It was pretty good, I enjoyed it. I felt there was a bit of unnecessary explaining with some of it, but I put that down to a product of its time, where maybe the audiences of the day needed the hours of the day or the words for dwellings explained to them. But after tapping the second asterisk or so, I just ignored them and got on with reading. I wonder how the original text handled it? Probably footnotes. Some bits were predictable but it was a good story overall, a bit allegorical, but not heavy about it, more just an examination of the human condition.
Thanks for the recommendation!

I'm a bad sci fi fantasy fan because I haven't read Le Guin. I need to buckle down and read a few of her books.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i just read The Elementals and it was real good, not sure if I'm gonna move on to House of Leaves or The Master and Margarita

Badactura

My wish lives in the future.
I just finished the cheese and the worm, it's a lil history book about this guy named menocchio who loved in Italy in the 1500s. He read books and bothered everyone in his village about what they thought about God and reality and the church and eventually the church killed him for saying stuff like how the church was making up Bible stories. It was really good and I felt sad for mennochio even though they didn't kill him the first time he got in trouble instead they made him stay in his village and wear a shirt that said "ask me about my heresy"

cda

by Hand Knit

Badactura posted:

I just finished the cheese and the worm, it's a lil history book about this guy named menocchio who loved in Italy in the 1500s. He read books and bothered everyone in his village about what they thought about God and reality and the church and eventually the church killed him for saying stuff like how the church was making up Bible stories. It was really good and I felt sad for mennochio even though they didn't kill him the first time he got in trouble instead they made him stay in his village and wear a shirt that said "ask me about my heresy"

my "ask me about my heresy" shirt has a lot of people asking questions already answered by my shirt

----------------

nut

I started the Selected Works of T.S. Spivet today and outside of the kid talking like a dickhead its very cool and fun

beer pal

like 90% of the way through dracula and he still hasnt used his catchphrase... must be saving it for the finale

Badactura

cda posted:

my "ask me about my heresy" shirt has a lot of people asking questions already answered by my shirt

There's a funny part where the inquisitors asked him why he took his shirt off and he's like "it's scratchy and nobody talks to me because they thought I was a heretic"

Yeah mennochio, that's why they made you wear it.

Can a mod change my name to mennochio I love this guy

Pissed Ape Sexist

I just binged the Borne series by Jeff Vandermeer (Southen Reach trilogy and many more) and all three books (Borne, The Strange Bird, Dead Astronauts) were excellent. Vandermeer has been called the 'weird fiction Thoreau' and it's very apparent why. The first book, Borne, lays out a rich tableau of a postapocalyptic world where bio/nanotech ruined everything after a company's overreaching destroyed everything. The Company's mistakes ran free a generation ago and have imposed a new, savage world order and scattered human survivors in The City scrounge for survival and deal in bits of biotech that augment their lives. Borne is the name of one of those bits of biotech that is taken in by a woman and grows to learn humanity from the outside-in and challenge the nature of free will, family, and existential dread through the lens of something that wants to be human but is anything but.

Strange Bird and Dead Astronauts are quick reads that expand the world of Borne through the narratives of tangential characters. Every creature is fascinatingly yet believably bizarre, every character is unique and morally grey, and the setting is so expertly crafted and lived-in that the massive buoyancy of your suspension of disbelief only kicks in after you're done. Hard and soft sci-fi, god-tier experimental wordplay, monster horror, narratives that shift deftly between creatures and humans, a post-apocalyptic setting, and engrossing emotional exploration come together in wonderfully weird fiction. Can't recommend them enough.

cda

by Hand Knit

Badactura posted:

There's a funny part where the inquisitors asked him why he took his shirt off and he's like "it's scratchy and nobody talks to me because they thought I was a heretic"

Lol. 1500s Italian dudes were cool

cda

by Hand Knit
Especially a certain plumber you may have heard of

Pissed Ape Sexist

Guido DiPlombus, of course

Badactura

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

I just binged the Borne series by Jeff Vandermeer (Southen Reach trilogy and many more)

I've heard a lot of good stuff about Vandermeer I should read his stuff because you make it sound pretty cool.

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Guido DiPlombus, of course

I make-a the pipes, I dont-a believe in the virgin Mary, eyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist

Badactura posted:

I've heard a lot of good stuff about Vandermeer I should read his stuff because you make it sound pretty cool.

I'd read Borne, not the whole Borne trilogy, before diving into his longer mass-market stuff (Southern Reach trilogy-- Annihilation, Authority, and Acceptance) because it'll give you a better sense of his weirdness and worldbuilding without having to invest too heavily in a world. Ignore the movie of Annihilation because there are some things that just can't be adapted to film. He's not for everyone but if you like the existential stuff in Borne and how he builds settings that hint at unknowable weirdness, you may like the Southern Reach trilogy. It's all long-form and a bit more satisfying but that's because each SR book focuses on a central character and their descent into giving up, instead of the Borne series narrative model of hopping between a giant mutant bear, a scientist with surgical symbiotic mice in his throat, a bioengineered shapeshifting weapon with the mind of a child, and a sentient invisibility cloak.