Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Relevant Tangent posted:

Feel free to say you think the Saudis bribed Obama, have the courage to own your stupidity.

What do you think they were doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Failing to curry favor.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

They flaunted their wealth in front of the entire world and the US responded by selling them more weapons to murder Yemeni children with, so I don't know that they really failed in their goals.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I am awestruck learning about the quasi-magical powers of simply being in the presence of a gold necklace that you don't even get to keep.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Obama wasn't bribed with a necklace, he's perfectly happy to murder kids for free you know

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Not sure what's funnier, that Obama's tut-tutting of Netanyahu during the Gaza Crisis was followed with immediately refilling all of the Israeli weapon reservoirs, or that such was still not good enough for Netanyahu who openly derided Obama on his way out and said he couldn't wait for Trump to be prez.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
e: Can y'all stop with the deliberate misinterpretations please

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Somfin posted:

e: Can y'all stop with the deliberate misinterpretations please

Vague and unhelpful.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Obama never played that copy of Witcher 3. I bet he would have gotten the bad dad ending.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Vague and unhelpful.

They mean boiling down "Obama received millions in gold and jewels from the Saudis and even though it was promptly handed over to the State Dept one cannot diminish the psychological effect of having such massive wealth pass through your hands" to "oh so you think the Saudi's bribed Obama with a necklace!!!" seems to be a deliberate misinterpretation of a more complex argument you don't want to have.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Obama never played that copy of Witcher 3. I bet he would have gotten the bad dad ending.

They mean boiling down "Obama received millions in gold and jewels from the Saudis and even though it was promptly handed over to the State Dept one cannot diminish the psychological effect of having such massive wealth pass through your hands" to "oh so you think the Saudi's bribed Obama with a necklace!!!" seems to be a deliberate misinterpretation of a more complex argument you don't want to have.

I was responding to a dude who posted:

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What does it matter? The ACT of receiving a giant gold amulet is going to gently caress with you.

wrt the President getting a gold amulet. My response was that I don't actually think gold has magical properties and receiving a an enormous gold amulet worth millions in your capacity as president doesn't mean poo poo. Do you think the amulet mattered to Obama?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Relevant Tangent posted:

wrt the President getting a gold amulet. My response was that I don't actually think gold has magical properties and receiving a an enormous gold amulet worth millions in your capacity as president doesn't mean poo poo. Do you think the amulet mattered to Obama?

Yes, as has been explained. Why do you think it didn't? Because you seem to believe that Obama was a robot while Acting In His Capacity As president. Do you think that because he didn't personally didn't get to keep it, the message, "to you this is more money than you will ever know, to us this is a Tuesday, think about how much we could do for you or to you," somehow wasn't delivered?

You admit that it was an attempt to curry favour and you say that it failed. Why do you think it failed?

E: And in what way do you believe that it was an attempt to curry favour? Do you believe that the Saudis thought that Obama would be allowed to keep it, since you seem to believe that to be a requirement for it to influence him?

Somfin fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 22, 2020

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

I was responding to a dude who posted:

Well we're discussing what's in his deepest heart or whatever, so what I can say with certainty is limited, but I do think Obama very clearly thinks rich people are naturally superior to poor people given who he chose to surround himself with and who he put in charge of the economy when he became president. He definitely responds to signs that someone belongs to the upper echelons. Signaling that you are wealthy and successful no doubt creates a positive association. Do I think his eyes started spinning like a slot machine before turning into giant dollar signs and bugging out? Nah, he knew he couldn't keep those particular items, but the real message is always what someone can do for you later when you can keep the gifts you get.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Anyone been able to find anything about Trump's plan for dealing with covid yet?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

You refuse to say what you think the amulet meant or did or how it affected US policy one iota. You haven't explained anything. If you're going to pretend that assertions of Saudi wealth mattered to Obama on a personal level then by all means say that. Nail yourself down.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1285311799185661952

Joe Biden is not going to pass any legislation to help you or me if it affects any businesses bottom line

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

You refuse to say what you think the amulet meant or did or how it affected US policy one iota. You haven't explained anything. If you're going to pretend that assertions of Saudi wealth mattered to Obama on a personal level then by all means say that. Nail yourself down.

We provided material support to Saudi Arabia in its efforts to wage a war of genocide on the Yemeni people. Maybe that amulet was part of that. Not sure if it was or not because my device for peering into Obama's inner soul is on the fritz. What we do know is that the Saudis flaunted more wealth than Obama had ever seen in his life in front of him in the form of gold and jewels, and subsequently Obama decided to support genocide. Unfortunately there is no way for me to prove to you anything except that Obama committed genocide, but apparently that's only bad if it was because of direct bribery that could be proven in a court of law?

Terror Sweat posted:

Joe Biden is not going to pass any legislation to help you or me if it affects any businesses bottom line

"I hope you all pay your workers better, but I will pledge today that there will be no legislation proposed towards that end. Thank you."

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 22, 2020

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I dont see that someone who signed his name to trillion dollar budgets in his capacity as the head of the federal government would be especially awed and overcome by receiving million dollar gifts in his capacity as the head of the federal government

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

awesmoe posted:

I dont see that someone who signed his name to trillion dollar budgets in his capacity as the head of the federal government would be especially awed and overcome by receiving million dollar gifts in his capacity as the head of the federal government

I suppose it depends on if you think numbers on a page and wealth in your hands are fundamentally the same thing. I would argue that they aren't and that they definitely have different psychological weights. But ultimately I can't prove that Obama murdered children for money, all I can prove is that he murdered children.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

It seems to me much more likely and worth considering that Obama aided the murdering of children on behalf of the entrenched power brokers of the foreign policy "blob" in his admin, for reasons of oil and sphere of influence realpolitik.

The handing over of bauble was a physical representation of that relationship rather then a cause of that relationship.

Makes for a more substantive conversation on how all dems and repubs (likely including Bernie had he won) tend to bow to this shadow government of advisors and lobbyists.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It's never enough to dislike Obama for the various valid reasons to do so, people here always have to overextend their arguments and get into silliness like "being handed a thing you turn around and hand to someone else ~does things~" which is just... why even get into that poo poo?
Your argument is killing is bad, not killing is bad if the president got swayed 0.00000000000001% by seeing a shiny he can't even keep. It's a self-inflicted derail on an irrelevant tangent.

I mean, if Obama was a saint or Satan incarnate... people are going to hand the president expensive poo poo that he turns around and gives to someone else. Just observing one of many instances that happened and going AHA! seems dumb as poo poo?

How does that change the facts of what Obama did, or his level of responsibility for them? If it doesn't, why should I give a gently caress?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If the Saudis bribed him with anything it was probably just the opportunity to kill more kids, not the mere trappings of wealth that he already had locked in with his anticipated invitations to billionaire islands

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

"america will inevitably go fascist in the next two decades" is not an undisputed fact

I have to politely disagree, looking at the situation currently, odds are the US will only become more authoritarian as time goes on even if (and thats a big IF) Trump is forced out. There are just not the institutional structures in place for any genuine reformism. In addition, economic pressures on American society will only increase further while major portions if not the entire state apparatus is hostile to any move seriously leftward and the result will likely eventually pull in one direction in the long-term. In addition, the growing signs of weakness of the USD are only going to cause greater issues as time goes forward.

This is assuming the best-case scenario where the Democrats get the presidency and congress in 2020 and the Supreme Court stays divided.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 22, 2020

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Anyone been able to find anything about Trump's plan for dealing with covid yet?
Wait until the heat death of the universe when his prediction "that at some point it's going to sort of just disappear" proves him to be correct.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Ardennes posted:

I have to politely disagree, but odds are the US will only become more authoritarian as time goes on even if (and thats a big IF) Trump is forced out. There are just not the institutional structures in place for any geninue reformism. In addition, economic pressures on American society will only increase further while major portions if not the entire state apparatus is hostile to any move seriously leftward and the result will likely eventually pull in one direction in the long-term. In addition, the growing signs of weakness of the USD are only going to cause greater issues as time goes forward.

This is assuming the best case scenario where the Democrats get the presidency and congress in 2020 and the Supreme Court stays divided.

That's the fight currently happening, not the fight that will be happening in ten years. As to Trump, he was down 15 nationally and that was before the dhs kidnappings and before dhs goons beat the navy grandpa have had a chance to show up in polling.

As to reform, eh there seems to be quite a bit of will in that direction (and the freshman reps being some of the best fundraisers and most engaged on social media probably has helped mainstream that a lot) . Like sure, marx-related leftism is utterly a non-starter in the US for a variety of hopefully obvious reasons, however leftist-associated policies/reforms poll at very high popularity and ironically probably would be easier to pass under someone considered less extreme.

idk, us politics is in a very weird spot. It's possible that will still be the fight in 10 years, but you can't really imagine more of a powder keg situation than the present.

https://twitter.com/Ilhan/status/1285680805621239809?s=20

Inferior Third Season posted:

Wait until the heat death of the universe when his prediction "that at some point it's going to sort of just disappear" proves him to be correct.

lol yeah, I've just been on a mission to find literally any mention of the pandemic response at all in any of his campaign materials

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
e: not gonna bother with this

Somfin fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 22, 2020

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

VitalSigns posted:

If the Saudis bribed him with anything it was probably just the opportunity to kill more kids, not the mere trappings of wealth that he already had locked in with his anticipated invitations to billionaire islands

This is a much more reasonable theory than magic gold.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

That's the fight currently happening, not the fight that will be happening in ten years. As to Trump, he was down 15 nationally and that was before the dhs kidnappings and before dhs goons beat the navy grandpa have had a chance to show up in polling.

Bold of you to assume that anyone is going to remember this in November, let alone 4 weeks from now when everyone is focused on the next big story.
It may get brought up in think pieces or maybe even the debates, but it isn't going to hold nearly as much weight as it does now while it's still hot off the presses.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
It probably will be overshadowed by the ongoing coronavirus death and further economic collapse, yeah. On the other hand, Trump so far has only doubled down and is literally running on harsh law and order as his primary campaign strategy so uh I wouldn't hold my breath that he will suddenly start acting with restraint.

Anyways, he has a press conference this afternoon on promoting law and order so I imagine we'll know more this evening.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 22, 2020

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

the_steve posted:

Bold of you to assume that anyone is going to remember this in November, let alone 4 weeks from now when everyone is focused on the next big story.
It may get brought up in think pieces or maybe even the debates, but it isn't going to hold nearly as much weight as it does now while it's still hot off the presses.

That implies that he's going to stop doing poo poo like that, though. Trump and temporary director whats-his-face have made it pretty clear that they think the goon squad is a good idea and they're going to try and export that to more cities. Besides, something is going to have to be done about all the people who are going to lose their homes around the end of the month, many of whom are probably going to be joining those protests because what the gently caress else will they have to do, so you can be sure that whatever solution for that is picked will be the worst one.

Though its also possible that state and city leaders will have all those newly homeless people arrested on their own instead of having the feds do it for them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Relevant Tangent posted:

This is a much more reasonable theory than magic gold.

If anything, the trinket's value wasn't the gold itself, it was probably just a concession to Obama, so his PR could make Americans think we're the Saudi royalty's respected ally and not their bitch

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

As to reform, eh there seems to be quite a bit of will in that direction (and the freshman reps being some of the best fundraisers and most engaged on social media probably has helped mainstream that a lot) . Like sure, marx-related leftism is utterly a non-starter in the US for a variety of hopefully obvious reasons, however leftist-associated policies/reforms poll at very high popularity and ironically probably would be easier to pass under someone considered less extreme.

idk, us politics is in a very weird spot. It's possible that will still be the fight in 10 years, but you can't really imagine more of a powder keg situation than the present.

I think this is just the beginning. Trump wasn't done that much in the polls earlier this year, it changed because of his insane response to the coronavirus, but there is still a very large segment of the population open to far-right politics.

Also, there are fiscal limits to what the US can do at this point without simply raising a lot more taxes and unless that happens, we are in a precarious economic position. If anything, the next 10 years at least looks quite bleak and that is only going to add fuel to the populist fire one way or another (with or without Trump).

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Ardennes posted:

I think this is just the beginning. Trump wasn't done that much in the polls earlier this year, it changed because of his insane response to the coronavirus, but there is still a very large segment of the population open to far-right politics.

Also, there are fiscal limits to what the US can do at this point without simply raising a lot more taxes and unless that happens, we are in a precarious economic position. If anything, the next 10 years at least looks quite bleak and that is only going to add fuel to the populist fire one way or another (with or without Trump).

4 or 5 months ago I would've agreed with this a lot more. The last couple months we've seen some ~20+ point swings on some social issues related to dismantling the police state poo poo. Notably, raising taxes on the wealthy is at like 80% support nationally and Biden just announced plans to eliminate the capital gains tax exemption (where if you take any profits and instantly put them into the purchase of a new property you pay no taxes on the profit) which is a big deal and basically laser targeted at rich and/or landlords.

Granted I'll believe the US is capable of progress when I see it, but just seeing this stuff getting proposed by a major party candidate is very surprising.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

4 or 5 months ago I would've agreed with this a lot more. The last couple months we've seen some ~20+ point swings on some social issues related to dismantling the police state poo poo. Notably, raising taxes on the wealthy is at like 80% support nationally and Biden just announced plans to eliminate the capital gains tax exemption (where if you take any profits and instantly put them into the purchase of a new property you pay no taxes on the profit) which is a big deal and basically laser targeted at rich and/or landlords.

Granted I'll believe the US is capable of progress when I see it, but just seeing this stuff getting proposed by a major party candidate is very surprising.

The thing is we don't need to just raise taxes a bit...its got to be a lot and it is unclear if Biden will be pressing for austerity measures.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I think it really depends on if Biden and the people surrounding him finally have a come to Jesus moment on the direction that the country is going and try to institute at least some reforms to prevent the nation from completely collapsing. Its pretty clear to almost everyone that if there are no changes the protests will go critical and we will likely suffer major uprisings and unrest or even revolution. So even complete ghouls may be at the point where they know they have to give some scraps to people to keep things from completely boiling over.

Or at least I hope. I'm not completely convinced.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

I think it really depends on if Biden and the people surrounding him finally have a come to Jesus moment on the direction that the country is going and try to institute at least some reforms to prevent the nation from completely collapsing. Its pretty clear to almost everyone that if there are no changes the protests will go critical and we will likely suffer major uprisings and unrest or even revolution. So even complete ghouls may be at the point where they know they have to give some scraps to people to keep things from completely boiling over.

Or at least I hope. I'm not completely convinced.

3 days ago Biden told a bunch of donors he doesn’t believe in using laws to force companies to do anything and that the government will just ask nicely

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Terror Sweat posted:

3 days ago Biden told a bunch of donors he doesn’t believe in using laws to force companies to do anything and that the government will just ask nicely

link this please

copy
Jul 26, 2007

link this please

I'm not the person you quoted but I'm pretty sure they are referring to this:

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1285311799185661952?s=20

Specifically the second paragraph.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Terror Sweat posted:

It's on this page.

Beaten.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
My point isn't in the "hope or wish" category but simply stating if there isn't drastic change as soon as possible, there won't be anywhere left to go. I am talking in the space of Biden's first hundred days.

Even then, we would need more than a green new deal....but something like the actual New Deal on steroids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

"It's not going to require legislation. I'm not proposing any."

I guess you can handwave that as Biden telling a room full of rich people what they want to hear and that maybe it doesn't actually represent what he'll do once in office, but seems pretty damning that the moment you put Biden in front of his biggest donors he promises to be as ineffectual a leader as possible before pledging to make CEOs even richer than ever before.