Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I dunno, it seems pretty reasonable. It's one of the better definitions for the Midwest I've seen (not sure about sneaking so far east but I like that it stops a few miles west of the Missouri), properly sets apart areas that should be set apart...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Golbez posted:

I dunno, it seems pretty reasonable. It's one of the better definitions for the Midwest I've seen (not sure about sneaking so far east but I like that it stops a few miles west of the Missouri), properly sets apart areas that should be set apart...

Are such wide swathes really culturally similar tho? I can admit that cajun country is the only area i'm familiar with and it seems fine, if a little too far east.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It's certainly nitpickable (and you could argue that a "cultural map" like this is a hopeless task in the first place), but it's a pretty creditable attempt. I've seen a lot worse.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I feel like there should be a Mormon zone.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It bothers me that there’s a Lower Rust Belt but no Upper Rust Belt.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Badger of Basra posted:

It bothers me that there’s a Lower Rust Belt but no Upper Rust Belt.

The Upper Rust Belt is in Ontario

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It is funny to me how some of America’s bleakest areas and Canada’s most prosperous ones are right next to each other.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

The green zone includes far too much of Chud California. Needs to hug the coast a lot more. Riverside, San Bern, Kern Counties and other such terrible places should be brown with Texas rather than green with San Francisco.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

The green zone includes far too much of Chud California. Needs to hug the coast a lot more. Riverside, San Bern, Kern Counties and other such terrible places should be brown with Texas rather than green with San Francisco.

Typically californian to lump all your bad poo poo in with a whole different group rather than acknowledge that you aren't a special Good People Zone

just sayin

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Badger of Basra posted:

It is funny to me how some of America’s bleakest areas and Canada’s most prosperous ones are right next to each other.

It's like that in the US too lol.
The original American rust belt cities are all throughout the Northeast, the difference and reason they don't get talked about as much as the Midwest's is that they're right near to gleaming mega prosperous cities.

So like Newark to Manhattan..
Worcester to Boston...
Bridgeport to Stamford...

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Grape posted:

I feel like there should be a Mormon zone.

26, 28, and 29 about cover it.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Also realistically all of populated CT should be dark blue.
Maybe not Hartford county? But definitely Litchfield and New Haven counties.

Maybe also split New England in two since the bottom three are wildly different than the top three.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Typically californian to lump all your bad poo poo in with a whole different group rather than acknowledge that you aren't a special Good People Zone

just sayin

Sounds like I hit it right on the nose and you're a butt hurt West Texan who knows nothing about California.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Guess the map:

Catholic German-language parishes/churches abroad. Go ahead and make fun of the abundance of missions in South America :v:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There's no way in the world that Grand Forks would tolerate being in the same region as those bastards from East Grand Forks.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

Sounds like I hit it right on the nose and you're a butt hurt West Texan who knows nothing about California.

Holy gently caress

you're right.

On the other hand, at least there aren't californians in New York so I know I chose the right coast

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

Cascadia really should have a panhandle going down the eastern part of California to just south of Tahoe, too. That would make that part of the state State of Jefferson flag density dot png

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Grape posted:

Also realistically all of populated CT should be dark blue.
Maybe not Hartford county? But definitely Litchfield and New Haven counties.

Maybe also split New England in two since the bottom three are wildly different than the top three.

New York dominates Connecticut even more than it does New Jersey, but New England is still probably the most solid multi-state regional unit in the US. "The South" is probably the biggest, but it has a lot of holes in it and kinda dissolves on the western front, and "the midwest" is united mainly by the fact that nobody cares about them.

In the west, states get too big so they can't be rolled into multi-state units and have to be sliced up, but there's no line between chuds and the sea.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

SlothfulCobra posted:

New York dominates Connecticut even more than it does New Jersey, but New England is still probably the most solid multi-state regional unit in the US. "The South" is probably the biggest, but it has a lot of holes in it and kinda dissolves on the western front, and "the midwest" is united mainly by the fact that nobody cares about them.

In the west, states get too big so they can't be rolled into multi-state units and have to be sliced up, but there's no line between chuds and the sea.

Does this include republicans with libertarian impulses or just straight libertarians. Because either way I don't understand how Kentuckys so low

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

New York dominates Connecticut even more than it does New Jersey,

Very debatable. Like yeah half of Jersey has a stronger pull toward Philly, but northern Jersey is far more NYC oriented than any part of CT could ever imagine.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Luxembourg is a region of Germany.

See also:
The Netherlands, Denmark, half of Belgium, Austria, most of Switzerland.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Grape posted:

If the bottom three states are different it's by weight of their cities. Rural/small town western Massachusetts feels a fair bit like northern New England. You might be able to divide New England coherently, but you'd probably end up dividing Massachusetts in the process.

That's kind of the issue my gut is having with most of these cultural zones. Urban/rural cultural divides are generally greater than regional divides in my experience. Just think of Texas or California.

If you're going to say that a regional culture has urban and rural manifestations, and understand that one region can be wildly different depending on levels of urbanization, then New England is pretty coherent.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Grape posted:

Very debatable. Like yeah half of Jersey has a stronger pull toward Philly, but northern Jersey is far more NYC oriented than any part of CT could ever imagine.

Bro, do you even Fairfield County?

Honestly, what I usually see is Fairfield and Litchfield part of the NY metro, New Haven basically floating on its own, and the rest oriented towards New England as a whole.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Minenfeld! posted:

Bro, do you even Fairfield County?

I do indeed, but like, northern Jersey is a place where you literally see Manhattan on the skyline lol.

quote:

Honestly, what I usually see is Fairfield and Litchfield part of the NY metro, New Haven basically floating on its own, and the rest oriented towards New England as a whole.

I'd agree, except New Haven feels seamlessly grafted onto the same belt of suburbs/cities that makes up the Fairfield county shore.
Going north there's much more disconnect toward Hartford, and going east especially feels like a big transition to a different world.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah, see, that's one of the reasons Luxembourg didn't just pick German as its official language.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FreudianSlippers posted:

See also:
The Netherlands, Denmark, half of Belgium, Austria, most of Switzerland.
Parts of Poland, Czech Republic, Lithuania,...

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/WBLooneyTunes/status/1279490205993623554

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I was going to comment that the South would surely pick Yosemite Sam, but then I saw that there actually were states that had him, most of them not in the South

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Texas likes Speedy Gonzales because of all the Mexicans. Mexico loves Speedy Gonzales. No idea about Maine.

The deep south loves the southerner, pretty simple.

Roswell New Mexico.

Massachusetts...what? Who?

California should probably be ashamed. I guess the Looney Tunes Show in 2011 made her into more of a valley girl? Maybe that's it?

North and South Dakota seem more like a joke. West Virginia and Alaska seem like much more obscure characters to be the favorite.

No real idea about the rest. I do like Daffy Duck best like my birthplace does.

Phlegmish posted:

I was going to comment that the South would surely pick Yosemite Sam, but then I saw that there actually were states that had him, most of them not in the South

I think most of those states are the ones that value their past as part of the wild west more than anything else, with a little of gold prospecting and crazy prepper stuff thrown in the mix. Yosemite Sam's only been a "proper" southerner once or twice.

I don't think there's any shame in liking the villain best, they're often the one from who most of the plot and comedy springs.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I love that Alaska gets to be part of The Real South, the Super South, and perhaps even the Ultra South. Not sure about that last one because they haven't actually colored it in.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Why is Louisiana’s favorite looney tune the generic witch? Does she even have a name

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Why is Louisiana’s favorite looney tune the generic witch? Does she even have a name

Cos she lives in a swamp

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

https://twitter.com/rpxadair/status/1279513567625166848

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Weembles posted:

26, 28, and 29 about cover it.

Arizona’s got the Mormons who are too extreme for Idaho.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My dad (big EU fanboy) reminded me a while ago that the true Brexit will be happening six months from now on. I hadn't been keeping up because it seems like it's been going on for decades now.

I can't wait until we're in 2024 or something and I can post charts of the British economy's evolution over time, I'm not even particularly keen on the EU but what a dumbass decision lol

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
This Corona thing that's going on is a good excuse to postpone it yet again, I'll be surprised if it happens this year.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kamrat posted:

This Corona thing that's going on is a good excuse to postpone it yet again, I'll be surprised if it happens this year.
For who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Brexit has already happened. We are in the transition period where the UK's hand is even weaker and they've already denied prolonging the transition period due to the pandemic.

It's fascinating to watch because an extension would need unanimous consent from every country in the EU. It's one of those maddening bugs/features of the EU that, in this case, works against the UK.

Brexit is such an all-emcompassing clusterfuck, fractally, at every level. It's amazing. :allears: