Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 151 82.51%
No 32 17.49%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I'm most afraid that if Trump loses in November he incites his cultists to attack Democrats. With or without him saying anything you know they're going to pull some poo poo. There will almost undoubtedly be assassination attempts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Wingnut Ninja posted:

https://twitter.com/senrobportman/status/1285744085739941888

:ironicat:

I will say that it cheers me up a little that my republican senatefuckler can't even muster bot support; every tweet he makes is just entirely people making GBS threads on him for being worthless.

Why don’t these business bootstrap themselves and compete in the Free Market (tm) for labor lol who are we kidding it’s not about that

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/12...ingawful.com%2F

I know this isn't the reason why they did it but lol

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

GoGoGadget posted:

I'm most afraid that if Trump loses in November he incites his cultists to attack Democrats. With or without him saying anything you know they're going to pull some poo poo. There will almost undoubtedly be assassination attempts.

He's already literally tweeted a video of a guy calling for all democrats to be murdered, and that somehow barely made a blip.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Why don’t these business bootstrap themselves and compete in the Free Market (tm) for labor lol who are we kidding it’s not about that

I don't understand why nobody wants to work for minimum wage during a health crisis!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Like oh no those poor people are getting the equivalent of 31k/year in unemployment money! That’s unacceptable. They should only get that after working two minimum wage jobs full time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Nice! posted:

Like oh no those poor people are getting the equivalent of 31k/year in unemployment money! That’s unacceptable. They should only get that after working two minimum wage jobs full time.

huh..... maybe I should offer them more than minimum wage to work this godawful job nobody wants?

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I'll just whine on the national stage

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/12...ingawful.com%2F

I know this isn't the reason why they did it but lol

Looks like they're cleaning house before being kicked out.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53497193

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I'm exposed to a lot of chuds here in Pennsyltucky and they ALL still believe the "minimum wage is for KIDS at STARTER jobs, you can't raise it!" thing while simultaneously saying that they don't get paid enough because they're only making 11$ an hour at walmart. I haven't seen a hiring sign around for years that actually pays minimum wage, the floor is 10$ an hour now.

Businesses have figured out that if you pay people just above minimum wage the people who would benefit from an increase the most will oppose it, because even though they themselves are now making more money, so are the people they could previously point to as their inferiors wage-wise.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
It's almost like the people in power realized a long time ago that of you keep the lower classes fighting against each other to not be on the bottom, they will ignore the people at the top who are the real problem with society.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
reminder that the federal minimum wage kicker is just the equivalent of $15/hr. The states range from $5.88/hr (MS) to $21.68/hr (RI).

Here's each state and their hourly rate for unemployment sorted from smallest to largest. Note that these are maximum rates for states that offer additional with dependents.

Puerto Rico $4.75
Mississippi $5.88
Arizona $6.00
Louisiana $6.18
Alabama $6.88
Florida $6.88
Tennessee $6.88
Missouri $8.00
South Carolina $8.15
North Carolina $8.75
Michigan $9.05
Georgia $9.13
Wisconsin $9.25
Virginia $9.45
Indiana $9.75
Delaware $10.00
South Dakota $10.35
West Virginia $10.60
New Hampshire $10.68
Maryland $10.75
Nebraska $11.00
Alaska $11.05
District of Columbia $11.10
Idaho $11.20
California $11.25
Arkansas $11.28
Nevada $11.73
Kansas $12.20
New York $12.60
Wyoming $12.70
New Mexico $12.78
Vermont $12.83
Texas $13.03
Oklahoma $13.48
Kentucky $13.80
Montana $13.80
Pennsylvania $14.50
Utah $14.50
Iowa $14.78
Colorado $15.45
North Dakota $15.45
Ohio $16.18
Hawaii $16.20
Oregon $16.20
Illinois $16.68
Maine $16.68
New Jersey $17.83
Connecticut $18.10
Minnesota $18.50
Washington $19.75
Massachusetts $20.58
Rhode Island $21.68

Note that almost all of these programs have a max of 26 weeks and a number of their benefit windows are smaller.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Midjack posted:

It’s much easier to simply kick the people out of the country and leave an empty building that they still own rather than seize the property outright. I think the State Department has responsibilities to protect diplomatic properties when they’re empty.

This is true. The former Iranian embassy is still maintained and guarded by the State dept (they are legally required to as signatories to the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations). It's been sitting empty since 1980 but they still own it so the State Dept is just keeping the lights on.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Barcley posted:

Looks like they're cleaning house before being kicked out.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53497193
"The US State Department said the decision was taken "in order to protect American intellectual property""

Why Houston?

A Bad Poster posted:

It's almost like the people in power realized a long time ago that of you keep the lower classes fighting against each other to not be on the bottom, they will ignore the people at the top who are the real problem with society.
Fairly certain a caveman that had two mammoth skins told a caveman with one skin that the caveman with no skins was why he only had one skin.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Say hello to your 2020-21 Washington Redskins DC Sentinels?

https://twitter.com/DarrenMHaynes/status/1285918779306913792

Apparently the name is/was trademarked by the XFL and supposedly a legal dispute was why they couldn't immediately announce the new name, so it would make sense.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

stealie72 posted:

Why Houston?

Probably something to do with Houston being a big rear end port city. Also like, the fourth largest US city. A lot of agricultural goods float out of Houston.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Porfiriato posted:

Apparently the name is/was trademarked by the XFL and supposedly a legal dispute was why they couldn't immediately announce the new name, so it would make sense.

Why would they have had to talk with the army over that? Is there a Sentinel-something in the army I wasn’t aware of? I would’ve guessed an AF satellite for that name before literally anything army.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Porfiriato posted:

I'm going to be disappointed if their mascot isn't a big purple robot.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

Why would they have had to talk with the army over that? Is there a Sentinel-something in the army I wasn’t aware of? I would’ve guessed an AF satellite for that name before literally anything army.

what

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Where are you getting the army from?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Porfiriato posted:

Also a Keanu Reeves movie?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

stealie72 posted:

"The US State Department said the decision was taken "in order to protect American intellectual property""

Why Houston?

Off the top of my head:
Oil and gas
Medical research
NASA

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Icon Of Sin posted:

I think the AF has a drone named Sentinel, or maybe it's a radar system.

Either way it's good to have Keanu Reeves playing ball again. :3:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the XFL was cool in that it gave dudes who didnt get drafted or played arena football another way to play

plus it gave us the Skycam

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Where are you getting the army from?

I swear I saw army before, but this article just said “military organizations”.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/13/redskins-change-name-announcement/

quote:

In an interview July 4, Rivera said he and Snyder had come up with two names that Rivera really liked. He did not reveal the names but said he wanted to confer with Native American and military organizations to make sure that the new name properly honored both.

I thought they were going to go with Apaches, since the owner is a massive shitheel and the “I identify as an attack helo” memes would’ve all but written themselves.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Arven posted:

I'm exposed to a lot of chuds here in Pennsyltucky and they ALL still believe the "minimum wage is for KIDS at STARTER jobs, you can't raise it!" thing while simultaneously saying that they don't get paid enough because they're only making 11$ an hour at walmart. I haven't seen a hiring sign around for years that actually pays minimum wage, the floor is 10$ an hour now.

Businesses have figured out that if you pay people just above minimum wage the people who would benefit from an increase the most will oppose it, because even though they themselves are now making more money, so are the people they could previously point to as their inferiors wage-wise.

People would rather make 50k and their coworkers 25 than they make 100k and their coworkers 125. People are loving stupid, selfish and spiteful.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Discussion Quorum posted:

Off the top of my head:
Oil and gas
Medical research
NASA

I want to say Texas Instruments has a chip fab in Houston as well

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the XFL was cool in that it gave dudes who didnt get drafted or played arena football another way to play

plus it gave us the Skycam

excuse me there has always been a place for players who didn't get drafted to go

it is called the Canadian Football League.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Go alouettes

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Great, now the fans can call themselves Sentinelese.

Army personnel chosen to guard the tomb of the unknown soldier are known as “Sentinels.”

I very much doubt the NFL is worried about the sentinel radar, an Army air defense radar.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

excuse me there has always been a place for players who didn't get drafted to go

it is called the Canadian Football League.

I loved when Baltimore had a CFL team. Besides the fact that Baltimore isn't in Canada, the games seemed more energetic all around. It seemed like the crowd had more invested.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

kraken! posted:

I want to say Texas Instruments has a chip fab in Houston as well

I don't think the plant is there anymore based on a cursory Google. Being redeveloped into upscale mixed-use suburban sprawl in the true Houston way :texas:

Slightly more :words: from an earlier chapter in my career, now that my kid isn't crawling all over me. The Chinese state-owned oilfield services firm is aggressively trying to take market share and practically all of their competition is based out of Houston. Particularly regarding technologies like fracking, directional drilling, and demanding offshore stuff - a huge amount of the engineering, R&D, and project management is done out of or through Houston. Plus you have headquarters or technology centers for basically all of the major oil companies themselves, which have probably petabytes of internal data that would be a huge boon if you were trying to develop your own resources. That's just one possibility.

Also the Texas Medical Center is a huge fuckin' thing, basically what would pass for an entire downtown in most cities but it's all hospitals and research. It's also literally just down the road from the Consulate, as is Rice University.

Also, Trump. So there could be a third explanation that amounts to "Pomeo! I pooped my pants, spin the wheel of chaos!"

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status...ingawful.com%2F

:thunk:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

He's so loving stupid and the only people dumber are his fanbase

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Milo and POTUS posted:

He's so loving stupid and the only people dumber are his fanbase

Tesla is valued higher than Toyota despite delivering 30x fewer vehicles last year. Musk will continue to be enabled as long as techbros and hedge funds want to burn money at his altar (at $1570 per share)

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

GoGoGadget posted:

Nothing like giving a new administration carte blanche to purge and pursue charges against prior officials in violation of our nation's norms with respect to outgoing administrations!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Grip it and rip it posted:

Nothing like giving a new administration carte blanche to purge and pursue charges against prior officials in violation of our nation's norms with respect to outgoing administrations!

I'm pretty sure that Biden will pardon Trump et al and say that it was needed to heal the nation.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

egyptian rat race posted:

Tesla is valued higher than Toyota despite delivering 30x fewer vehicles last year. Musk will continue to be enabled as long as techbros and hedge funds want to burn money at his altar (at $1570 per share)

Tesla isn't a car company its a tech company.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I will never forgive Elon or Tesla for naming their cars S, 3, X, Y.

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010
You forgot

Cybertruck
ATV
Roadster
Semi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The Tesla valuation is so absolutely insane. He's so obviously a serial liar and perpetually On One and yet millions trust in him completely. Thank God be wasn't born a citizen or he'd absolutely be president someday.