Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I never actually connected the dots that Jeralt got the crest of seiros from Rhea giving him her blood to revive him. I thought it was just happenstance. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AlternateNu posted:

I never actually connected the dots that Jeralt got the crest of seiros from Rhea giving him her blood to revive him. I thought it was just happenstance. :psyduck:

That'd give us way more questions considering the Crest of Seiros is specifically passed down the Hresvelgr family, so that would mean Jeralt (and, by extension, Byleth) is connected to the ruling family of the Empire in some way.

I mean, before Byleth married Edelgard, but that's not a blood connection.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Man, Maddening missions last way too long. I finished Gautier Inheritance at turn 60-something and had used all my Divine Pulses by turn 40~, so I had a shitload of close encounters and very crucial dodges from those goddamn million-range archers where if you aggro them the whole stage starts charging you. Got a ton of levels out of it though and some great stat gains, all my combat units are 10-12 (I'm using Lorenz/Ignatz as healbots and Raphael/Ignats as rallybots)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Eimi posted:

Where it sucks is Armored Lord and Emperor don't get magic access so if you trained up her magic skill..she can't actually use it. Why I want to do weeblord Edelgard for a playthrough just to use her cool spell list.

You don't have to use those classes. Edelgard as a caster in her default Armor Lord outfit looks fly as hell and can still hit people with her broken axe if need be.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Gremory Edelgard in Armored Lord model is godlike.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Man, Maddening missions last way too long.

I love it.

Question: are level up stats locked in from the start of the game? I got a bad levelup on a character near the end of a battle and reversed time to avoid it, but was wondering if I'll get it anyways in a later chapter. There does seem to be something in place to avoid reversing time to get better levelups but I'm not sure how far it goes.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Captain Cappy posted:

I love it.

Question: are level up stats locked in from the start of the game? I got a bad levelup on a character near the end of a battle and reversed time to avoid it, but was wondering if I'll get it anyways in a later chapter. There does seem to be something in place to avoid reversing time to get better levelups but I'm not sure how far it goes.

I think all potential character level ups are rolled at the start of a map, so if that character gets a level in the next map, it'll be different.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Hellioning posted:

I think all potential character level ups are rolled at the start of a map, so if that character gets a level in the next map, it'll be different.

Yeah. So if someone gets a 2-stat levelup in lousy stats near the end just DP it away and get a new roll next map.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The weirdest thing about emperor not using magic is that iirc it has a positive modifier to magic growth rate

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That's for bolt axe.

Which is better than any spell edel has access to anyway, lol. They made them way too good.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I just beat my first playthrough of this game as Golden Deer!

I was definitely over-powered by the end. Paladin Hilda dodged like 95% of the enemy attacks made against her, and crit-countered almost every time, so she made an amazing character for baiting enemy units. Rafael was basically One-Punch Man. Lysithea could just cannon people with Miasma from like 5 tiles away. They were all ridiculous.

(Leonie was the first one to get powerful though, so she got MVP in maybe 1/4-1/3 of the battles. Either her stats are good, or Paladin is really good, or both, because she was the first one I made into a Paladin.)

Some of the characters story resolutions were...interesting...

Flayn's resolution made no sense. It said she disappeared for a while, and then came back? I never got an explanation about what was so special about her blood. I didn't really understand what her ending was about at all.

Petra married Ignatz!? Ok... I guess Ignatz did want to see foreign lands.

Hilda outright proposed to Lorenz in their last support conversation, but then nothing about that was addressed in either of their endings. Instead, Hilda and Marianne were all best-buds for life and Lorenz only got involved in politics.

Silvain's ending was the funniest. He didn't have high support with anyone else since he was limited from the start as one of the non-house characters. But I loved the line about how his name ended up being used as a description of a cheating husband in all of Fodlan. lol

I'm guessing that there must be a bunch of different possibilities for how the endings play out based on what support levels characters get with each other, and what combination of characters you have at the end. I'm going to try a Faerghus playthrough next.

If I do a New+ game, is it going to be too easy if I don't do at least hard difficulty?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you wound up feeling too powerful on normal, I'd recommend Hard for NG+. You can always bump down the difficulty later on, if it's not your cup of tea.

Character endings in general are defined by their supports. The game pairs off anyone who has an A support and can be paired. Characters still gain points after hitting the highest rank, and whichever pair has the most points and an ending will get together. This creates a cascade effect where there might have been several characters with whom Petra was more likely to end up, but all of them had a higher-ranking pairing. Whether the final conversation of a support chain is explicitly romantic has no bearing on whether said characters end up together, either.

Flayn's deal is hinted at in a lot of places, but her A support with Seteth is the only place where it's made explicit.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 22, 2020

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Inu posted:

Flayn's resolution made no sense. It said she disappeared for a while, and then came back? I never got an explanation about what was so special about her blood. I didn't really understand what her ending was about at all.
This is easy enough to figure out from just normal monastery conversations with her and Seteth and her supports. She's Saint Cethleann.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Terper posted:

This is easy enough to figure out from just normal monastery conversations with her and Seteth and her supports. She's Saint Cethleann.

I thought as much, especially from her highest support conversation with Ignatz, but it was weird that it was never explicitly spelled out for me. I don't think I ever got her support to A with Seteth though, ironically, so maybe that's why I missed it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's a ton of stuff like that in the game. A lot is left ambiguous, characters give false information, and history is muddled by perspective, bias and propaganda. Even going through all routes won't leave you with a completely clear picture of everything, and instead you'll have to read between the lines and form your own conclusion.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
On the one hand, I do enjoy a good ambiguous story, but on the other, I felt super vindicated when someone posted a dev interview that confirmed that my hot take on the War of Liberation was exactly right.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inu posted:

I thought as much, especially from her highest support conversation with Ignatz, but it was weird that it was never explicitly spelled out for me. I don't think I ever got her support to A with Seteth though, ironically, so maybe that's why I missed it.

That is exactly why you missed it. IIRC they call each other by their real names in that support.

Inu posted:

If I do a New+ game, is it going to be too easy if I don't do at least hard difficulty?

Definitely. It might even end up a little easy depending on how many statue upgrades you did (the last EXP upgrades on the statues can make you hideously overleveled on Normal/Hard), but you'll definitely steamroll Normal on NG+. If you found that you overpowered Normal pretty easily, you're definitely ready for Hard mode.

I wouldn't recommend Maddening unless you want the game to be really, really hard, though. Maybe for a third playthrough if you want a serious challenge. The leap from Hard to Maddening is huge, much larger than between Normal and Hard, even with NG+ bonuses.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I'm playing through Crimson Flower as my first route. Is Silver Snow a fully fleshed-out route of its own or is it just like a slight variation? I've heard it is pretty similar to Verdant Wind. Also that Verdant Wind might be a good route to save for last because folks seem to like its final mission.

Trying to figure out if I should do Azure Moon next or do Silver Snow and then Azure Moon.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Cephas posted:

I'm playing through Crimson Flower as my first route. Is Silver Snow a fully fleshed-out route of its own or is it just like a slight variation? I've heard it is pretty similar to Verdant Wind. Also that Verdant Wind might be a good route to save for last because folks seem to like its final mission.

Trying to figure out if I should do Azure Moon next or do Silver Snow and then Azure Moon.

SS is a full route and is more fleshed out than CF is, it's definitely worth playing straight after CF imo as the routes contrast relatively well with one another. Also, you'll have all the units you were just playing with, so it's easier to adapt into.

VW last is a really good choice, the last map is absolutely baller as hell, but unfortunately if you do VW last, it is also the *only* unique map you'll see on that route.

AM isn't very different from SS or VW either. It has one map that I'd call unique and then variations on what you see in VW and CF as the remainder. The last map is, at least to me, not as good as VW's finale, but AM has the most complete individual story. (Personally I really dislike AM and all the characters in it, but I realise I'm relatively unique there)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Inu posted:

Take her to some of the paralogue fights against the biggest creatures for some fun

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

SS is a full route and is more fleshed out than CF is, it's definitely worth playing straight after CF imo as the routes contrast relatively well with one another. Also, you'll have all the units you were just playing with, so it's easier to adapt into.
On the contrary i think this is a terrible idea because you will have just seen every support for all the characters and have pretty much nothing to look forward to character writing wise. Also if you don't keep a save at the split you have to replay a literally identical white clouds instead of a mostly identical one.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Natural 20 posted:

AM isn't very different from SS or VW either. It has one map that I'd call unique and then variations on what you see in VW and CF as the remainder. The last map is, at least to me, not as good as VW's finale, but AM has the most complete individual story. (Personally I really dislike AM and all the characters in it, but I realise I'm relatively unique there)

I think I agree here. It’s hard to express my exact feelings on AM, but it definitely tells the most complete story because it’s character-based while the others deal more with the politics and factions of Fódlan. I’d say it’s simultaneously the best and worst story, as it’s told well, it’s just told through characters and actions that suck.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

On the final map of AM maddening, and my thoughts are that aside from the earlygame and same turn reinforcements maddening is a fun and good time, and also edelgard was right

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

On the final map of AM maddening, and my thoughts are that aside from the earlygame and same turn reinforcements maddening is a fun and good time, and also edelgard was right

If they ditched the ambush reinforcements I'd like Maddening a lot more. As it is I still have a good time with it (with NG+ bonuses, at least), but the same-turn ambush reinforcements suck. It'd still be a challenge without them and all they do is eat up your divine pulse charges :colbert:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Has anyone else noticed that they do something weird with the dp charges on maddening? Ordinarily, you have seven to begin with with all the statue bonuses, and then your charges double when you do tales of the red canyon, leaving you with 14. But on maddening when you do that map you only get one charge out of it, only for the game to then slowly and completely silently add more charges to the pool as you progress through the chapters. I almost didn't notice it until i had ten suddenly.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Amppelix posted:

On the contrary i think this is a terrible idea because you will have just seen every support for all the characters and have pretty much nothing to look forward to character writing wise. Also if you don't keep a save at the split you have to replay a literally identical white clouds instead of a mostly identical one.

I am presuming you'd do it with a save before the split because if not, woah boy, just don't do that to yourself. I don't think the first point really stands because that's true on your SS run pretty much regardless unless you explicitly get new poaches. And it's a bit much to redo all of White Clouds just for that.

Amppelix posted:

Has anyone else noticed that they do something weird with the dp charges on maddening? Ordinarily, you have seven to begin with with all the statue bonuses, and then your charges double when you do tales of the red canyon, leaving you with 14. But on maddening when you do that map you only get one charge out of it, only for the game to then slowly and completely silently add more charges to the pool as you progress through the chapters. I almost didn't notice it until i had ten suddenly.

I'd need to check my save but I think I maxxed out at 9 in my AM NG maddening run.

I started with 3, got 2 from the canyon and 4 from the statues.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I feel like it’s best if Heal gave like. Half the exp of a kill. Or maybe even all the exp of a kill.

Part of the issue is that a fighting unit on average gets at least one kill a phase, some times more if they can tank the enemy phase. Meanwhile a starting healer can get 11 exp a player phase and that’s it.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Cephas posted:

If it's not too late, make a save right before the route split. I don't think it's worth starting a new playthrough from the beginning for Silver Snow, at least not until you have seen the other routes.

If you're already past the decision point and can't make a save I'd say go with Azure Moon, then Verdant Wind. If you end up wanting to play through a fourth time you can always do Silver Snow then, but since there are no unique playable characters on that route I think that it is the least important.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think you're going to run into some annoying overlap no matter what order you do the routes in. CF and SS might have character overlap with the students, but SS and VW also have a lot of general plot info and even the maps overlap. Azure moon is the one that is REALLY significantly different from the other three. CF is another very different one but suffers from being clearly unfinished and of course has the exact same first half as SS

point is do them in whatever order

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Aight, cool. Think I'll save SS for a "maybe someday" playthrough.

Now that I'm sinking my teeth into it, I'm not sure how I feel about some of the gameplay systems in this one. The class system feels pretty obtuse and unsatisfying. Dark Knight and Holy Knight are especially mind boggling to me because if you didn't plan ahead of time, you'd never have Riding on your mages or priests because there aren't any troubadours in this game. The decoupling of weapons from classes, along with the general de-emphasis on classes having big, defining skills, feels like it renders most of the classes redundant or irrelevant. Combat skills and battalions also just feel like extra combat bloat. I really prefer the more streamlined approach where special abilities are almost all passive.

They really knocked the character writing out of the ballpark, though. I actually care about these kiddos. Bernie and Lysithea :ohdear:

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Cephas posted:

Combat skills and battalions also just feel like extra combat bloat.

Combat arts and battalion gambits make a lot more sense on maddening difficulty; they are very important there.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

I feel like it’s best if Heal gave like. Half the exp of a kill. Or maybe even all the exp of a kill.

Part of the issue is that a fighting unit on average gets at least one kill a phase, some times more if they can tank the enemy phase. Meanwhile a starting healer can get 11 exp a player phase and that’s it.

Healers don’t really exist in the conventional sense in 3H tho. There are units that the game gives a Faith proficiency but not a Reason one (all two of them, accounting for hidden talents), and Bishops are better at healing than other classes, but even bishops can just learn reason stuff anyway and even learn Fiendish Blow if you know to pick it up

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Pretty sure that post got lost on its way to the thread for the bows only gimmick run of Sacred Stones in LP.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I found a random run generator for Three Houses here: https://www.fire-emblem.de/fe16randomrun.php?locale=en

Currently trying it, I rolled Golden Deer.

The Good:
Hilda: Myrmidon, Pegasus Knight, Assassin, Falcon Knight. She is fast, resilient and powerful. Hilda, Hilda!

The Bad:
Alois: Monk, Mercenary, Swordmaster, Mortal Savant
Shamir: Monk, Thief, Bishop, Mortal Savant
Catherine: Monk, Mage, Bishop, Gremory

Almost all of my mages (I got Dark Knight Hanneman and Holy Knight Manuela) are teachers, which means they come in late, need extra training before I can use them and aren't always available in the first half. The only other magic classes I have are Byleth (Bishop, Dark Flier) and Ingrid (Monk, Mage, Dancer, Holy Knight). Ingrid will be my only source of Physic. I probably won't use her as Dancer at all.

The... I don't even know:
Dorothea: Soldier, Armored Knight, Fortress Knight, Wyvern Lord. I mean, on one hand, Wyvern Lord is a great class. On the other hand, she has to actually get there somehow. I did throw the movement booster on her.

Looking forward to Reunion at Dawn. Byleth, Claude, Hilda, Raphael and Leonie are my house units. Could be worse.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Combat Arts are cool, especially the positioning ones you can get on the beginner classes. I do think there are too many where the only difference is a slight change in Mt or hit rate, but I think the system has a lot of potential.

Gambits are kind of broken and I don't know what they should do to make them more interesting/less op. Battalions being stat boosts is kind of meh and I didn't find messing with the stats much fun.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Finally beat Blue Lions on maddening.

There is a special place in hell for whoever decided to give the final map same turn reinforcements with siege magic.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Oh, I sat down and listened to Edge of Dawn for the first time. kinda hard to believe we got this after the dud of yooouuuu are the oooceansss gray waaaaves. I think any time I hear its melody play during battle now I'm gonna get chills :allears:

what a cool theme song. Edelgard is awesome.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Cephas posted:

Oh, I sat down and listened to Edge of Dawn for the first time. kinda hard to believe we got this after the dud of yooouuuu are the oooceansss gray waaaaves. I think any time I hear its melody play during battle now I'm gonna get chills :allears:

what a cool theme song. Edelgard is awesome.

Love songs make great battle themes.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alright, I got down to just Edelgard and Dimitri alive in the three-way mock battle during month 10 and Edel was so juiced up on stat buffs from unit kills that she one-shot Byleth who even had Axebreaker and Rally Str/Dex/Agi. Turns out that units who die during this map aren't permanently killed, EXCEPT BYLETH! So by this time I was out of pulse charges because I was like, whatever, Lysithea will just instakill the final two, I just need to lure them off of the pedestal!

Very upset by this turn of events

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This playthrough I'm on is giving me some ridiculously horrible stat-growth RNG. Almost half my level ups are only 2-stat growth across the board (except Byleth), and I've even had a couple 1-stat growths, and I'm only on month 5. And I'm not even doing gimmick run using bad classes.
:negative: