Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

rydiafan posted:

To clarify, I agree that Other M had bad gameplay, but that's like saying your poo poo sandwich has stale bread.

I think if it had good gameplay the discussion around it would be different. People focus on the story because that's the most egregious part, but if it played well I bet it would have been "divisive" instead of almost universally disliked.

Apparently both the lovely story and the decision to use the sideways wii remote as the only controller option both came down from Nintendo, I think Team Ninja actually did alright with that in mind.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Jul 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Riatsala posted:

Out of everything that Fallout 4 changed about the 3/NV era, I enjoyed:

Better shooting/combat (still not *good*, but improved)
Removing the durability mechanic
The overall improved animations, art direction, and visual fidelity
Armor/Weapon modding
Junk actually being useful
Power armor revamp

Also I think it had a more cohesive world and better companions than 3

Yet we're still moving further and further from God's loving embrace the longer Bethesda controls the license.

A lot of that is more improvements than changes, which is why I always find it difficult to say what I think is correct, that every Bethesda RPG has been worse than the one before it since like, Morrowind. Because it's not that they're getting worse in an empirical sense, they're not; every single one improves smooths out the core gameplay, sounds better, looks better, removes clunkiness that wasn't fun. On an objective level, they keep making better games.

But in the process they're also making their games less interesting. The stories become more cliche and unoriginal, the settings less unusual, the game mechanics less adventurous and less prone to allowing player creativity. For every new thing that's interesting (I'll admit to liking Fallout 4's power armor, yeah) they lose three.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I started playing Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood after trying to play the third game. While on the surface the game looks like a first person shooter it’s really more of a puzzle game where you make sure your men have cover while the enemy doesn’t. That is until you run into enemies with Panzerfausts.

For those not in the know they’re basically one shot handheld anti-tank weapons that for some reason the enemy has no qualms with launching at your infantry, and if they hit one of your guys it immediately kills them and anyone around them.

I had a perfect run of a very difficult section last night until the literal last enemy launched one at my men behind cover and killed all of them in one lucky shot.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

I had a perfect run of a very difficult section last night until the literal last enemy launched one at my men behind cover and killed all of them in one lucky shot.

Presumably he started dancing like your avatar afterwards.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Cleretic posted:

A lot of that is more improvements than changes, which is why I always find it difficult to say what I think is correct, that every Bethesda RPG has been worse than the one before it since like, Morrowind. Because it's not that they're getting worse in an empirical sense, they're not; every single one improves smooths out the core gameplay, sounds better, looks better, removes clunkiness that wasn't fun. On an objective level, they keep making better games.

But in the process they're also making their games less interesting. The stories become more cliche and unoriginal, the settings less unusual, the game mechanics less adventurous and less prone to allowing player creativity. For every new thing that's interesting (I'll admit to liking Fallout 4's power armor, yeah) they lose three.

Can't wait until Skyrim 2, where they remove alchemy, enchanting, and the ability to jump. Also you can only play as a Breton farmer because the protagonist is a Breton farmer.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

moosecow333 posted:

For those not in the know they’re basically one shot handheld anti-tank weapons that for some reason the enemy has no qualms with launching at your infantry, and if they hit one of your guys it immediately kills them and anyone around them.

TBF it's very effective strategy, I've taken out many heavily armored squads with stinger missiles in MGSV when they're my only viable weapon and things are too busy to order in a supply drop.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In the rare event you get a couple that actually stays together in Rimworld, its such a pain in the rear end if you ever have them leave the map. Say to attack a base or do a quest or go to another colony, cause it clears bed ownership. So you send your lovers out somewhere and when they get home they'll get pissy cause they want to share beds with one another cause apparently they just forgot which bed they were using.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Demon's Tilt could sure use some subtitles. I have no idea what this nun chick is saying.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Boss fights in the Sonic series sometimes have the issue of limiting your ability to beat them fast by using attacks you can't punish or by having other mechanics which make them inconsistent.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

moosecow333 posted:

I started playing Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood after trying to play the third game. While on the surface the game looks like a first person shooter it’s really more of a puzzle game where you make sure your men have cover while the enemy doesn’t. That is until you run into enemies with Panzerfausts.

RPGs are always a nightmare in terms of balance in FPS. Either they don't OHK and people rage that they're useless, or they can instantly wipe a group of people.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Hello I just finished catching up on like 1500 Posts just in time to declare that yes, even and especially the gameplay of Other M was loving atrocious on every level

My personal pet peeve besides the obvious stuff (pixel hunting! Jerkoff missiles! Dodge in first person by waggling!) was the slSpeed Booster. In general, you're supposed to get massive acceleration after moving in a straight line for a while. Well, there's a lot of long, boring, empty corridors in the game connecting its sections, and you have to backtrack a lot so it's always boring as poo poo.

So when you finally get the Booster, problem solved right? Backtracking is far better now?

No! Right before the acceleration kicks in, in the perfect distance from each other, there's a ridge in the floor of the corridor, making Samus trip and killing your speed-up. It's so needlessly dickish, I'm in awe.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Yu-Gi-Oh: Legacy of the Duelist is a neat game where you can play recreations of famous duels from the show. They also let you play the losing side of those duels, which is great, since the villains of the week usually had the most interesting decks in that show.

Problem: some of these 'losing decks' are literally useless for the duel they're tailored for. Often because the duel's designed to showcase their gimmick, but also for them to lose, there's a bunch of duels where the opposing deck is horribly undergeared, often (but not always) because the cards have radically different effects in the actual TCG. In other places though it's because the protagonist's deck is designed to gently caress over them, specifically.

The worst one I've hit so far is Strings, the possessed mime who first uses Slifer the Sky Dragon. His deck is so terribly designed that he doesn't just have multiple unrelated gimmicks, he has multiple contradictory gimmicks, he's got several cards that actually make it harder to win if you try to use them. He's also got straight-up no ways to actually deal with most of Yugi's deck, with the horrendously hard to summon Slifer being his only way to handle any even remotely tough monsters. Meanwhile most of Yugi's deck is designed to counteract Strings', he can either destroy you with a single card or delay the duel until he draws one of those cards.

It took me like three days to win as Strings, and I only managed it because in one match Yugi voluntarily destroyed all of his best cards in the first turn.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Simply Simon posted:

No! Right before the acceleration kicks in, in the perfect distance from each other, there's a ridge in the floor of the corridor, making Samus trip and killing your speed-up. It's so needlessly dickish, I'm in awe.
Is it a hidden loading screen or something so they can't let you get through there too quickly?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Tiggum posted:

Is it a hidden loading screen or something so they can't let you get through there too quickly?

Literally just a 6-inch step up that Samus hops over, repeated through a longass corridor

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Evilreaver posted:

Literally just a 6-inch step up that Samus hops over, repeated through a longass corridor

I meant, is the reason for it that the game needs you to slow down so that it can load the next area?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Leal posted:

In the rare event you get a couple that actually stays together in Rimworld, its such a pain in the rear end if you ever have them leave the map. Say to attack a base or do a quest or go to another colony, cause it clears bed ownership. So you send your lovers out somewhere and when they get home they'll get pissy cause they want to share beds with one another cause apparently they just forgot which bed they were using.

It does not say it anywhere out loud, but you can manually appoint the bed owner, and the if bed has more than 1 sleeping place, it can be appointed to more than 1 colonist.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tiggum posted:

I meant, is the reason for it that the game needs you to slow down so that it can load the next area?

Sounds plausible, like they found out it crashed the game if you were allowed to run the whole way

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Tiggum posted:

With all the other stupid poo poo in that game, it would not surprise me if they hosed up the ability to use the actual speed booster upgrade beyond when they deemed it necessary.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I mean that makes more sense than Prime where some doors would just take longer to open than others randomly because it held a load screen

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Apex Legends has been growing on me. I’m not particularly good at being a shootymans, but my friend group has been playing and I’ve gotten a little better and the gameplay is pretty solid. My complaint isn’t about the gameplay though.

In the most recent “season” they added some PVE missions, little “treasure hunts”. Every single one is the goddamn same. You drop into an existing area of one of the gameplay maps.
Then, Fight through some tigers to a “drill location” which I think at least once was on the second floor of a building. Kill more tigers,get to a drop ship in time.

Where the gently caress are all these space tigers when you’re on the map during the day? Why do they hate you so much? Why are there so many? Why didn’t they do something more sensical like security robots that were shown in the cinematic released when they introduced the new thief character?

On top of this, every treasure hunt unlocks a bit of story told through character conversations as on screen text. The writing is loving atrociously amateur. It’s like a breakfast club of the ingame characters hanging out even though a good portion of them hate each other. Actions taken by characters make no sense given their motivations.

I’d brush it off if it weren’t for the fact that Respawn made this game using not only the gameplay engine but the game world of the Titanfall games. I only payed Titanfall 2, but the single player part had a really fun story that was
Pretty good! And the gameplay was great!

I mean, I guess it was a ploy like in all these online arena games to just get you playing every week, but come the gently caress on, it’s been some lazy poo poo.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Why are they using tigers when they have robot soldiers of varying degrees of difficulty probably already available since, ya know, made using titanfalls engine.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Yu-Gi-Oh: Legacy of the Duelist is a neat game where you can play recreations of famous duels from the show. They also let you play the losing side of those duels, which is great, since the villains of the week usually had the most interesting decks in that show.

Problem: some of these 'losing decks' are literally useless for the duel they're tailored for. Often because the duel's designed to showcase their gimmick, but also for them to lose, there's a bunch of duels where the opposing deck is horribly undergeared, often (but not always) because the cards have radically different effects in the actual TCG. In other places though it's because the protagonist's deck is designed to gently caress over them, specifically.

The worst one I've hit so far is Strings, the possessed mime who first uses Slifer the Sky Dragon. His deck is so terribly designed that he doesn't just have multiple unrelated gimmicks, he has multiple contradictory gimmicks, he's got several cards that actually make it harder to win if you try to use them. He's also got straight-up no ways to actually deal with most of Yugi's deck, with the horrendously hard to summon Slifer being his only way to handle any even remotely tough monsters. Meanwhile most of Yugi's deck is designed to counteract Strings', he can either destroy you with a single card or delay the duel until he draws one of those cards.

It took me like three days to win as Strings, and I only managed it because in one match Yugi voluntarily destroyed all of his best cards in the first turn.

Its an absolutely fantastic game but you'll want to make a custom deck to deal with this. Until the recent patch this year to update to the current version of the rules every deck from the 4th series of Yu-Gi-Oh was trash garbage so at least thats better.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Outer Wilds is great, but Dark Bramble's gimmick is super annoying. Or rather, as a mechanic it's kinda clever and even fun to deal with once, but it's far too easy to end up in an inescapable soft fail state. At some point you'll almost certainly run out of momentum while an anglerfish is in hearing range, and then you basically can't use any thrust at all and are hosed. It's especially dumb in the endgame where you have to go there after doing a whole other elaborate thing, and obviously there are no checkpoints.

Navigating Brittle Hollow has similar issues. Not as bad and it's no fail state, but it is pretty easy to slip up and end in a position where it's very tedious to get back on track.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

My Lovely Horse posted:

Outer Wilds is great, but Dark Bramble's gimmick is super annoying. Or rather, as a mechanic it's kinda clever and even fun to deal with once, but it's far too easy to end up in an inescapable soft fail state. At some point you'll almost certainly run out of momentum while an anglerfish is in hearing range, and then you basically can't use any thrust at all and are hosed. It's especially dumb in the endgame where you have to go there after doing a whole other elaborate thing, and obviously there are no checkpoints.

Navigating Brittle Hollow has similar issues. Not as bad and it's no fail state, but it is pretty easy to slip up and end in a position where it's very tedious to get back on track.

it was a really nice little game, but drat, I would start off in some direction on some planet and get lost in exploring things and reading things get so far along when the 20 min was up I had no clue how to get back to where I was, so I'd try a new direction. If they had done something like midway through the game you fix the issue with time resetting for yourself so you could more casually explore it would have worked much better for me, getting ripped out of my explorations over and over again just sucked.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

At some point you'll almost certainly run out of momentum while an anglerfish is in hearing range, and then you basically can't use any thrust at all and are hosed. .

You can use thrust, just at 1/4 power which is plenty for getting around.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Barudak posted:

Its an absolutely fantastic game but you'll want to make a custom deck to deal with this. Until the recent patch this year to update to the current version of the rules every deck from the 4th series of Yu-Gi-Oh was trash garbage so at least thats better.

Is it like you play through the show? Do you run around or is it battle after battle? Is it accessible to new players? I play mtg and have touched yugioh once or twice, but in the absence of a new shandalar (lol) I'm looking for something to fill the card game gap

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ilmucche posted:

Is it like you play through the show? Do you run around or is it battle after battle? Is it accessible to new players? I play mtg and have touched yugioh once or twice, but in the absence of a new shandalar (lol) I'm looking for something to fill the card game gap

You basically play through an abridged (but not Abridged) version of the show, playing through all the duels worth including that don't need weird gimmick mechanics. There's booster packs and all that but outside of the duels it's just menus.

Because of that you go through eras of the game, starting with decks that you'd have probably seen in the mid-00s and then gradually adding mechanics and cards from later on. It's really good for scratching the TCG itch without actually playing TCGs (which feels basically impossible now).

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Jul 22, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Cleretic posted:

You basically play through an abridged (but not Abridged) version of the show, playing through all the duels worth including that don't need weird gimmick mechanics.

Because of that you go through eras of the game, starting with decks that you'd have probably seen in the mid-00s and then gradually adding mechanics and cards from later on. It's really good for scratching the TCG itch without actually playing TCGs (which feels basically impossible now).

Might give it a look then. Shame it's abridged and not Abridged though. I'm probably more familiar with the latter. How long is the single player stuff?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sininu posted:

I'll have to try that, because it's exactly what I thought would probably make the section work. I've been giving it very short bursts to start myself coasting but they were probably full strength bursts.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ilmucche posted:

Might give it a look then. Shame it's abridged and not Abridged though. I'm probably more familiar with the latter. How long is the single player stuff?

Substantial. Its campaign has every single series of the show.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The fact that no modern game is a Sid Meier's: Pirates! re-remake or spiritual sequel.

I'd love it if for example Ubisoft had pivoted off the sailing mechanics and etc in AC 3-4 and newer, and just made an open-world sandbox that was a spiritual sequel to SM:P!
Sail around pirating, digging up treasures, hijacking ships, seducing the governors' sons and daughters, propping up the economy on settlements you frequent, or plan to settle down on, etc.
It felt like a kind of systemic open world game where I haven't really seen anything much like it in recent years. (Through I guess a number of space games bear some similarities.)

I looked it up recently and I'm just all-round vaguely dissapointed that the game is difficult enough to work with that there aren't mods (beyond simple graphical swaps and etc.) or unofficial compatability patches etc etc.
It can work on modern systems, provided you cap yourself at a 4:3 resolution atleast. (Otherwise the ui just bounds off the screen.)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Death Stranding: "This cargo must be stored horizontally at all times"

Also Death Stranding: Puts the cargo vertically in my backpack and gives me no option to manually adjust its position

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

SubNat posted:

The fact that no modern game is a Sid Meier's: Pirates! re-remake or spiritual sequel.

I'd love it if for example Ubisoft had pivoted off the sailing mechanics and etc in AC 3-4 and newer, and just made an open-world sandbox that was a spiritual sequel to SM:P!
Sail around pirating, digging up treasures, hijacking ships, seducing the governors' sons and daughters, propping up the economy on settlements you frequent, or plan to settle down on, etc.
It felt like a kind of systemic open world game where I haven't really seen anything much like it in recent years. (Through I guess a number of space games bear some similarities.)

I looked it up recently and I'm just all-round vaguely dissapointed that the game is difficult enough to work with that there aren't mods (beyond simple graphical swaps and etc.) or unofficial compatability patches etc etc.
It can work on modern systems, provided you cap yourself at a 4:3 resolution atleast. (Otherwise the ui just bounds off the screen.)

was kinda hopeful for Sea of Thieves, but naw it's garbage.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Perestroika posted:

Also Death Stranding: Puts the cargo vertically in my backpack and gives me no option to manually adjust its position

I had to take all my equipment off my suit slots and throw it in my backpack just to get it to lay flat on top. And then I got on a trike and I leaned forward so far that it was vertical anyways. Didn't make it count as not bing flat, though

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Perestroika posted:

*pile of sloughed-off cheese and sauce flops out of box* "My pizza, Sam...how could you?!"

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Sininu posted:

How? I couldn't find any way to make the bursts less powerful so I basically charged in full speed until I got lucky. And it sucked a lot.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Tried playing Halo Anniversary. The first thirty minutes are just shooting muppets in the copy-paste corridors from KOTOR. Refunded. I guess it's really hard to go back to the games that's started all these trends. Sort of like all those classic science-fiction novels that explore what it be like if women could be mechanics.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I love everything in Xenoblade Chronicles except Reyn's voice.

wot a buncha jokeuhs

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Perestroika posted:

If you leave it off Sam, auto-organize everything, and then add it it will go on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Nostradingus posted:

I love everything in Xenoblade Chronicles except Reyn's voice.

wot a buncha jokeuhs

What the gently caress.