Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
Mercedes saying "gently caress you Elon. Seriously."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRmSp8tkERw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

EnergizerFellow posted:

Mercedes saying "gently caress you Elon. Seriously."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRmSp8tkERw

More like they looked at Tesla and took away the wrong lessons entirely

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Idiots

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Oh for gently caress's sake. Now everyone's going to do it. gently caress you Elon.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

A test mule of the Jeep 392 Concept has been spotted on the road.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/21/jeep-wrangler-392-prototype-spied/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. Now everyone's going to do it. gently caress you Elon.

To be fair, the march to screens everywhere was already happening - but we can blame Tesla for accelerating the race to the bottom like they have.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A couple of Broncos on display at the plant:
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2020/07/22/ford-assembly-plant-being-prepped-bronco-build-soon/5481875002/

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The typical buyer of an S Class is gonna have a hell of a time trying to operate that touchscreen

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
the big tire package does so much for the bronco https://www.motor1.com/news/435122/ford-bronco-sasquatch-package-comparison/

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

poo poo those look great. I really wish Toyota would roll out an affordable, serious (lookin at you, FJ Cruiser) 2 door USDM LandCruiser to compete.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Mr. Apollo posted:

A test mule of the Jeep 392 Concept has been spotted on the road.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/21/jeep-wrangler-392-prototype-spied/

I still have my doubts that this will ever be more than a showpiece they trot out at sema or other events, but I'd really like to be wrong. It feels like whenever they show off a concept it never goes into production, the real cars are kept under wraps until they're ready to sell them.

I swore off Jeeps and all other Chrysler products but this is so tempting.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Frond posted:

Not a G80 but I DD a lowered 86 GT in the winter on Blizzaks. It’s the tires.

DD a BRZ in Nebraska winters on a set of Michelin X-Ice. Can confirm, 100% about the tires.

Okay, maybe 85% tires and 15% driver / common sense.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have enough trouble with ground clearance in a BRZ in the summer, I can't imagine driving it with snow on the roads.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

I wonder what the deal is with all the tape on the roof of the second one?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bull3964 posted:

I have enough trouble with ground clearance in a BRZ in the summer, I can't imagine driving it with snow on the roads.

Pittsburgh may as well have snow clearing savants in comparison to Madison, where I lived with a sports car for a year. As long as you're not expecting to plow snow it's probably fine.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TheWevel posted:

Early/non-final model? That roof looks awkward at best anyway, so I'm hoping it's just not fully worked out yet.

edit: Yeah, it's probably pre-production and definitely not the official hard top - maybe the soft top? I can't see why it would be so much bigger, but ... The article on motor1 has a cactus grey four door with the hardtop that doesn't look like that.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 22, 2020

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I was looking at the Hyundai Kona after my wife said she liked the look of it. I can't believe the bang for the buck that little thing is. I was looking at the SEL plus trim since I'd prefer a non-turbo engine for less complexity, and a regular automatic instead of Hyundai's attempt at a DCT. Having owned two cars with dual clutch transmissions and reading the reviews of the car, it would seem that DCTs are really lovely at slow speed driving, regardless of who makes them. Does anyone here have any experience with them? Cross shopping it against crosstreks, corolla hatchbacks, mazda 3 hatchbacks (she hates how they look), and new minis (never gonna happen)

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

bull3964 posted:

Ground clearance is the only issue. Other than that it's judicious use of throttle/clutch and picking a good line in roads.

Oh and also making sure you remember other drivers will forget your tiny car exists and run you off the road...

[edit: added a word]

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

TheWevel posted:

Photo from the back: https://www.carscoops.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Ford-Bronco-Jeep-Wrangler-9.jpg

Looks like they got a soft top and hard top and it's in rough shape. Maybe some field repairs to a pre-prod roof to keep it weather proof?

Edit: It also looks like there is some camouflage on the rear bumper. The roof might have been designed to be the wrong shape on purpose prior to the official announcement.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 22, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

As Nero Danced posted:

I still have my doubts that this will ever be more than a showpiece they trot out at sema or other events, but I'd really like to be wrong. It feels like whenever they show off a concept it never goes into production, the real cars are kept under wraps until they're ready to sell them.

This time the hot stove won’t burn your hand.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

BloodBag posted:

I was looking at the Hyundai Kona after my wife said she liked the look of it. I can't believe the bang for the buck that little thing is. I was looking at the SEL plus trim since I'd prefer a non-turbo engine for less complexity, and a regular automatic instead of Hyundai's attempt at a DCT. Having owned two cars with dual clutch transmissions and reading the reviews of the car, it would seem that DCTs are really lovely at slow speed driving, regardless of who makes them. Does anyone here have any experience with them? Cross shopping it against crosstreks, corolla hatchbacks, mazda 3 hatchbacks (she hates how they look), and new minis (never gonna happen)

I have that DCT in our Ioniq - works great, no complaints, better than a cvt.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have that DCT in our Ioniq - works great, no complaints, better than a cvt.

Do you think some of that has to do with the electric motors, though? The instant torque of electric motors do a lot to improve all sorts of driving situations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Twerk from Home posted:

Do you think some of that has to do with the electric motors, though? The instant torque of electric motors do a lot to improve all sorts of driving situations.

The Ioniq runs in pure EV mode when starting from a stop. The electric motors do run through the DCT but there is no DCT clutch slipping when starting from a stop like there would be on an ICE.

I specify DCT clutch because on the hybrid there's actually a third clutch that connects or disconnects the ICE when needed. It's theoretically possible that you could be starting from a stop or creeping up in stop and go traffic on a very steep incline where the electric motors don't provide enough torque to "creep" and the ICE needs to be engaged as well, in which case there could some kind of clutch slippage in the third clutch, but that's obviously an edge case scenario.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

BloodBag posted:

I was looking at the Hyundai Kona after my wife said she liked the look of it....Does anyone here have any experience with them? Cross shopping it against crosstreks, corolla hatchbacks, mazda 3 hatchbacks (she hates how they look), and new minis (never gonna happen)

I went shopping with my sister in this segment. Her feedback,

The Kona was at the top of her list, yup looks good and tons of value. Drove perfectly fine but felt a little rough over bumps.
Kia Soul was awesome but over budget at the trim level she wanted.
The HR-V was dangerously slow. Push the gas and literally nothing happens. She said the Honda salesman was the only one that didn't talk down to her.
Mazda 3 was over budget. I tried telling her it had the best drivetrain and luxe interior but she didn't bite. Sorry Dave Coleman, I tried.
Corolla hatch was fine but cramped inside. It was brand new at the time so rates were high. Also I think she got bad vibes from the salesman

She chose the Subaru Crosstrek, most solid feeling of the bunch. Once again she didn't like the salesman so she drove across town to another dealer to get one.

I think she still has a bit of Korean car stigma in her mind which also pushed her towards the Crosstrek.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

smooth jazz posted:

I went shopping with my sister in this segment. Her feedback,

The Kona was at the top of her list, yup looks good and tons of value. Drove perfectly fine but felt a little rough over bumps.
Kia Soul was awesome but over budget at the trim level she wanted.
The HR-V was dangerously slow. Push the gas and literally nothing happens. She said the Honda salesman was the only one that didn't talk down to her.
Mazda 3 was over budget. I tried telling her it had the best drivetrain and luxe interior but she didn't bite. Sorry Dave Coleman, I tried.
Corolla hatch was fine but cramped inside. It was brand new at the time so rates were high. Also I think she got bad vibes from the salesman

She chose the Subaru Crosstrek, most solid feeling of the bunch. Once again she didn't like the salesman so she drove across town to another dealer to get one.

I think she still has a bit of Korean car stigma in her mind which also pushed her towards the Crosstrek.

The Crosstrek didn't feel dangerously slow?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

She didn't mention anything about the Crosstrek feeling slow. I kept my mouth shut for most of the process, because she is a contrarian and will argue anything I say.
Anyways I feel it's tuned with more aggressive throttle tip in so it doesnt feel slow around town.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

smooth jazz posted:

She didn't mention anything about the Crosstrek feeling slow. I kept my mouth shut for most of the process, because she is a contrarian and will argue anything I say.
Anyways I feel it's tuned with more aggressive throttle tip in so it doesnt feel slow around town.

She didn't take any of them on the highway?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I had a crosstrek as a loaner while mine was in the shop for headgaskets (go figure). It was fine and my wife liked it a lot. She'd be coming from a base model mini with an automatic, so it's not like it's fast either. I will say though that I'm so gun shy of subarus after dealing with my last one. It's like it was barely hanging together up to 100k miles then just started making GBS threads out wheel bearings, power steering o-rings, racks, valve cover gaskets and finally head gaskets. I was so done with how pricey that thing got so quickly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
My mom's Crosstrek ate a new steering rack at roughly 10 years / 70k miles but that is rural Vermont dirt road life and poo poo happens. A bunch of my friends have Crosstreks and I just don't quite know why.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They're "rugged."

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

As Nero Danced posted:

This is Fiat Chrysler we're talking about, a company whose first, second, and third answers has been "more power" when faced with the question of how to keep their aging vehicles relevant. Just be prepared to pay $50K for it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My mom's Crosstrek ate a new steering rack at roughly 10 years / 70k miles but that is rural Vermont dirt road life and poo poo happens. A bunch of my friends have Crosstreks and I just don't quite know why.

Cheapest way to get into a Subaru SUV, which has mythical powers to normies.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Couldn't be more than 8 years

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Time travel will do that to a car.

The first model year of the Crosstrek was 2013 with the first models hitting dealership in September of 2012. So even the first delivered model isn't even 8 years old yet.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Had a G70 with the 3.3 AWD sport trim out for a test drive today. Not quite as 'cockpit' feeling as the S5 but man it's a lot of car for the money.

Reminds me why I ended up in the Genesis in the first place.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Wheeee posted:

Driving off-road with a manual loving sucks anyway and the take rate will reflect that.

100% agreed on that, once I've gone automatic for offroading I never looked back. 9/10 incidents/rollovers/crashes I've seen off road were related to driver error/stalling/bad shifting and rolling away or losing control, always a manual. Anecdotal observation on my part.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 23, 2020

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I totally agree, manuals can really blow off road, especially if you don’t have a good crawl ratio. That said I want the manual anyway.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

trouser chili posted:

I totally agree, manuals can really blow off road, especially if you don’t have a good crawl ratio. That said I want the manual anyway.

Yep.

The Bronco itself is a 'I want that!' for a vast majority of the people that are going to buy them, making they 'well the automatic is better' argument a weird one to see. Nobody needs a Bronco that can have the doors come off, that doesn't add practicality in any respect. It is cool as hell though, much like my ideal one which would be a two door yellow manual with a vinyl interior and lockers.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

A bunch of my friends have Crosstreks and I just don't quite know why.
Because they're competent cars with great ground clearance. If I could get one with both the 2.5 and the manual I'd have bought it to replace my Impreza wagon instead of going for the Forester.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Russian Bear posted:

The Crosstrek didn't feel dangerously slow?

Since when is the Crosstrek "dangerously slow"?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

A bunch of my friends have Crosstreks and I just don't quite know why.

Ex-partner had one. It's a smallish competent car that is reliable, runs around town, handles the occasional long trip with two adults well, affordable, has some ability offroad, got good safety and infotainment features and is a nice all round car in the mold of the first gen Forester. It's not trying to be anything other than whats on the label either. It's not meant to appeal to the rally drivers or to AI in general, it's there for mums, dog owners and small families that just want a crossover appliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

TKIY posted:

Had a G70 with the 3.3 AWD sport trim out for a test drive today. Not quite as 'cockpit' feeling as the S5 but man it's a lot of car for the money.

Reminds me why I ended up in the Genesis in the first place.

Yes. I parked next to a 911 yesterday and realized it cost at least 3x what my G70 costs and I struggled to think of anything more that I would want out of the G70. Maybe my brain is broken but if they were priced the same I'm not sure which I would choose.