Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The kind and generous mods let me use a slightly-taller-than-maximum image. :smuggo:

(If it had been within regulation size and still in proportion, it would have been tiny.)

edit: It was Ozma. (I couldn't remember if it was Ozma or Fistgrrl, and that's probably because of sexism or some other personal failing, and I feel guilty that I didn't remember.)

prefect has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Jul 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Look if you want to know the actual secret use of that one :30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux: but don't tell them I told you

Okay, maybe wait until Jeffrey finalises the deal before encouraging people to spend 30 bucks on the super spoiler upgrade.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hammerite posted:

:nitecrew: - does the anime character have a name? what anime is it from?

It's also a vanity emote for Daikatana Ritsu. So add "vanity" or "up own rear end" or whatever you do for those.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Baron von Eevl posted:

There was a while where :eng101: variations were all the rage, probably 2006ish?

People were rushing to try and come up with new ones before anyone else, it was wild

as seen in this very thread! :eng101:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Zetsubou-san posted:

Huh, I never would've guessed this thread just passed eight years of smilie explanation :yosnice:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I have more questions...

:cosmic2day: ?????

:crenshaw: who is this about

:crossange: I can't even make the text out on this. "Littleory's anime shithouse"? What is the letter between the l and the o in the first word? Was it made to insult somebody or what? I feel like I'm the butt of the joke just looking at this one tbh

:daryl: obviously this is about a cat named daryl but whose cat is he

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hammerite posted:

From the text and eyepatch that must be Dan Crenshaw, one of the rightest and douchiest of the many right-wing douches currently serving in the House of Representatives.

No idea why he's being hosed by an angel dick or why he's so surprised by it

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Marvel Heroes. When you hit max level with a character you could reset back to level one and do it again, your name would be a different color as a reward. The final reset, yellow username text, was called cosmic and was way slower to level. The grind led to it becoming something of an in-joke in the thread, people grinding it up and advocating that others do the same. It's basically a vanity emote of the OP.

On a related note, the doom toot avatar's name comes from the name of the company that made the game. :gaz:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Hammerite posted:

:crossange: I can't even make the text out on this. "Littleory's anime shithouse"? What is the letter between the l and the o in the first word? Was it made to insult somebody or what? I feel like I'm the butt of the joke just looking at this one tbh

Phone posting so I’ll be brief. That smilie was created as a joke because we had an insane millionaire who would get drunk and post all the time in the anime chat thread. There is a single frame where it says “gently caress off Dilbert you suck” because the insane guy’s name was dilbert, obviously. I was against this smile being made just btw.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Hammerite posted:

:daryl: obviously this is about a cat named daryl but whose cat is he

It's in memoriam of Japanese pro wrestler Hiromu Takahashi's cat Daryl:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

littleorv posted:

Phone posting so I’ll be brief. That smilie was created as a joke because we had an insane millionaire who would get drunk and post all the time in the anime chat thread. There is a single frame where it says “gently caress off Dilbert you suck” because the insane guy’s name was dilbert, obviously. I was against this smile being made just btw.

dilbert was the one who carved another goon's name in his chest with a katana who hung out on one of the Nazi discords PPJ was "infiltrating", just in case anybody is keeping track

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

dilbert was the one who carved another goon's name in his chest with a katana who hung out on one of the Nazi discords PPJ was "infiltrating", just in case anybody is keeping track

Yeah, an insane dude. I got it covered fam

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Zetsubou-san posted:

quote:

:lol: His teeth :lol:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

everythingWasBees posted:

uh what

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm also adding smiley tags for the qcs thread and could use a hand with a few of these:

:basta: who is the guy on the left and is basta a reference to something specific, it's not ringing a bell EDIT- that's avenatti isn't it?

:blindside:I can't tell who this is or what the Survivor reference in the hover text means

:boehner: john I assume, but why is it orange and is there more to the story?

:borked: hitachi magic wand? Is that all? it looks like its working, not sure how it's borked

:boston: this one I get except why boston when there's :acab:?

:brainworms: I learned from this thread that it's a GIP smilie but besides cognitive degeneration is there a better way to describe it?

:brnsndcstl: also from this thread I hear that its a reference to brains and sandcastles, but beyone that I have no idea

:bungie: is there a name for that character?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

:blindside:I can't tell who this is or what the Survivor reference in the hover text means

That's Jeff Probst, host of Survivor. It's a reference to when someone unexpectedly gets voted out by secret planning when they (and usually the audience) weren't expecting it - being blindsided, if you will.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Snowy posted:

I'm also adding smiley tags for the qcs thread and could use a hand with a few of these:

:basta: who is the guy on the left and is basta a reference to something specific, it's not ringing a bell EDIT- that's avenatti isn't it?

:borked: hitachi magic wand? Is that all? it looks like its working, not sure how it's borked

:basta: is Michael Avenatti, the one time lawyer of stormy daniels (the stripper president donald j trump paid $150,000 for sex), he had a twitter thing of #basta aimed at trump, which is italian for ~that's enough. he, for a brief moment, looked like he would be a democratic nominee for president until he very quickly got milkshake ducked and the toxx thread resulted in the biggest ban event in SA history

:borked: is from cspam trump thread poster Schnorkles who has an avatar of the Jin Air sadplane meme from LoL, posts a lot of political polls, and of which it was said "cannot bork the schnork"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Snowy posted:

john boehner was a very orange man

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Snowy posted:

:bungie: is there a name for that character?

It's a Destiny player being astounded that his potentially good find turned out to be poo poo, because Bungie had some, uh, creative ideas about how loot drops should work in their first attempt at an RPG.

I'm not sure it's a character with a name, it looks like a psyduck playing as a warlock.

haveblue has a new favorite as of 06:32 on Jul 21, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Snowy posted:

:brainworms: I learned from this thread that it's a GIP smilie but besides cognitive degeneration is there a better way to describe it?

I don't know if this is the original reference, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfVtY02hp20

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Snowy posted:

It was made for one of the USPolitics threads in D&D back when Boehner was Speaker; the last year of his term was marked by his being completely unable to control the factions in the GOP and constantly getting dunked on by his party and unable to push any legislation because one group of another would always stop him from being able to get a majority of his party behind it. Thus, he was always a sad orange.

quote:

I mean, it’s what it’s labeled as: it’s brain worms, the slang term for when someone who used to seem normal has let their conspiracy fantasies explode out into the rest of their life.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Hammerite posted:

haveblue posted:

From the text and eyepatch that must be Dan Crenshaw, one of the rightest and douchiest of the many right-wing douches currently serving in the House of Representatives.

i think the angel dick and balls is a reference to steve scalise (got his dick and balls shot off), while the eyepop is indeed dan cranshaw (got pwned in afghanistan)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

haveblue posted:

People on Twitter figured out the real reason he lost the eye.

https://twitter.com/ButtSexington/status/1167611011068829696
https://twitter.com/Heliosdium/status/1275109648870387713
https://twitter.com/weedlewobble/status/1129401708793274368

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I am asking you once again,this is my last bunch of smilies to tag for the qcs thread, and I could use a hand

:lewis: who the hell is lewis?

:lrpage2: what the hell is the lardroom?

E- :majorminor: it's a videogame, and theres a pokemon in the image, anything else I should know?

Snowy has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Jul 22, 2020

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Snowy posted:

E- :majorminor: it's a videogame, and theres a pokemon in the image, anything else I should know?

Major/Minor was a really, really lovely video game. That's really all there is to it. That came from the LP of it. I don't remember the context for the Farfetch'd, it's been a while.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Snowy posted:

I am asking you once again,this is my last bunch of smilies to tag for the qcs thread, and I could use a hand

:lrpage2: what the hell is the lardroom?

Lardroom was a nonsense comic about a disfigured mother and child just saying lardroom over and over. The sniper appears to have their one eyed features, and was portmanteau'd into a snipe smiley for some reason.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Snowy posted:

Also adopted by the Pokemon Reborn thread, resulting in the variant :farf:.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Scaramouche posted:

Lardroom was a nonsense comic about a disfigured mother and child just saying lardroom over and over.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Lardroom thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884386

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Oh gently caress now I totally remember that comic! But I think I had it in some underground comics zine or something. Now I’m curious about the original but all is can find is LARDROOM

Barkmarket was a good band too, but I don’t think there’s any connection besides the name

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

One of my first posts ever was re lardroom

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Hammerite posted:

:ese: - a grinning mexican guy in stereotypical garb, stabbing with a dagger or shiv??
Isn't "ese" also something similar to "dude" in spanish slang?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Collateral Damage posted:

Isn't "ese" also something similar to "dude" in spanish slang?

"Ese" means, literally "that" (and also S). I had never heard the term here in Spain, but apparently it is used in some EEUU parts as an abbreviature of "ese tio/vato" = "that guy". Probably because in Spanish you can sometimes omit the subject, so "mira ese tio" (look at that guy) can also be correctly said "mira ese" (look at that (guy)) and from that you can get the slang (technically incorrect) usage where "ese" becomes the whole word "¿qué onda, ese?".

So, yeah, it may be referring to that, probably parodying the "mexican stereotype".

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Snowy posted:

He's Lewis Hamilton, Formula One racing car champion. It's what his race control say on the radio to congratulate him for winning. Some posters in the Formula 1 thread also have the phrase as a gang tag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cbb4CP088I

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Jiru posted:

So, yeah, it may be referring to that, probably parodying the "mexican stereotype".
I can picture non-Latino heavies saying "Whoa, calm down there, ese" to a combative Latino guy in movies or on TV. Picture Hank on Breaking Bad. Or this actual (sarcastic) quote from drug lord Tuco on BB: "That's a brilliant plan, ese. Brilliant."

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Jul 22, 2020

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
This reminds me of some fps game coming out in the 90s involving LA gangs and a magazine using quotes from the game in their review but with the whitest possible spelling, like "don't you know I'm loco essay?" :v:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Tuco was always a bit extra though

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

christmas boots posted:

Tuco was always a bit extra though

Listen, there are two kinds of people in the world, my friend: Those with a rope around the neck, and the people who have the job of doing the cutting.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I'm nearly there with my latest batch but can someone tell me what the hell :schotty: and :scott: are about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

:schotty: is Brian Schottenheimer who is a bad offensive coordinator in the NFL