Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
It makes sense for video game protagonists to be as bland and generic as possible - you want the widest possible audience to be able to project themselves into the character, which is tough if the character has a bunch of very specific quirks or characteristics.

There has be a point of diminishing returns on that, though. I can't be the only person who is very, very tired of playing grizzled dudes who communicate entirely in quippy/badass one-liners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I can kinda understand it for a video game, but I have a really hard time understanding a headspace where I'd want to watch non-interactive entertainment with an unsalted ricecracker as the protagonist.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FMguru posted:

There has be a point of diminishing returns on that, though. I can't be the only person who is very, very tired of playing grizzled dudes who communicate entirely in quippy/badass one-liners.

Likely you aren't (I mean, I know I am and I'm saying this as a semi-grizzled white dude myself) but as the recent UbiSoft drama shows even getting something as relatively simple as a female protagonist is often stamped down by the highest levels in the development company.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I've missed that, what's going on with Ubisoft this time?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Whole lotta sexual misconduct.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

Whole lot of the management are rapists and all of them are misogynists.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

What's Midoriya's power?
He can punch real hard and he never gets the memo about Bakugo. Who gives a poo poo. Now meanwhile Froppy, the most interesting character in the world, has lots of powers that I will detail here in my...

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

Sexual harassment issues on a massive scale. Cover ups of sexual assault. HR basically doing whatever they could to enable abusers and cover poo poo up. Not a one or two bad apples thing but like every layer of management is mostly rotten level bad.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Also heaps of hideous racism and stupid decisions made by these men that marginalized people did their damnedest to reign in and lost their jobs over, in and outside of game design.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thomamelas posted:

HR basically doing whatever they could to enable abusers and cover poo poo up.

I wonder if the guy who threatened to quit and take his team with him if the CEO didn't stop denouncing sexism actually followed through.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

theironjef posted:

weirdly overdetailed modern setting where Reagan is a Roman-style Emperor and a bunch of other stuff occurred

waiting on the part of this that's a fantasy setting

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

I can kinda understand it for a video game, but I have a really hard time understanding a headspace where I'd want to watch non-interactive entertainment with an unsalted ricecracker as the protagonist.

Harem anime starts out as a bad genre translation and the anime industry being frequently as risk averse as Hollywood while wanting to produce episodes like a 90s tv show looking for syndication. Start with a visual novel - essentially an electronic choose your own adventure starring a character who starts out as a barely salted ricecracker and some slightly mobile illustrations. We're going to instead use Mass Effect because more people have heard of it and because Commander Shepherd is a lightly salted ricecracker. Your personal Shepherd may have had a decent character because of their choices - but Shep as written needs to be able to cope with every possible choice.

First our cheap anime studio is delighted to get the license to a moderately successful visual novel. That novel has fans that will watch for no other reason than they are fans, and the writing is at least not too cringeworthy and can get an audience. This, of course, is the same reason Hollywood is so keen on adaptions and remakes - there's a known market, lowering the risk that the thing will get no traction at all.Then come two different problems which have the same bad solution. The first is that in a visual novel you make choices, and in particular romance choices make your character yours and give them some personality - and no one wants the adaption to be a completely different character than theirs. The second is these anime studios are cheap and want to produce a lot of content for the cost.

The simple way is that you write all the options. Yes, all of them. So in the anime adaptation of Mass Effect Shepherd would have romanced Liara, Ashley, Tali, Miranda, Jack, Samara, Kelly, Diana Allers, and probably Morinth and some version of Thane that's been made female. I mean you've got all the dialogue already written, which gives you more content. You've also managed to avoid disappointing anyone who wanted to see their favourite romance in full anime rather than simply static images. And ... you've turned your protagonist into someone who because they make all decisions doesn't really make any decision and certainly doesn't really have a type. And that's how you end up with an unsalted ricecracker of a protagonist.

And then you let it go on long enough and this entire mess becomes its own genre.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Jesus that's a hostile thread.

I mean that happens when the OP gets really hostile and defensive themselves.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/PunishedHag/status/1285817429172432902?s=19

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

What companies publish their rules in ePub or Kindle formats? My eyes are really starting to go and my default way of reading RPG material these days has been printing out 6x9 PDFs at 8.5x11, but I would like to try using my Kindle to do some RPG reading in large print and inverted colors.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Jenna Moran's stuff is mostly available in very good ePub (because I do those myself), except for Glitch because I haven't finished that one yet.

Honestly, availability of ePubs outside of that is both scattershot and poor quality. I'm not aware of a single RPG ePub for sale, other than the ones I made myself, that I'd call better than "mediocre." (It's very easy to get inDesign to spit out a mediocre ePub from your PDF layout files. It takes a fair amount of work to make a decent one, and so far the only person doing it is me, the person who buys old paperbacks and cuts them apart so he can scan them in and get decent ebooks of things he wants to read.)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

neonchameleon posted:

And then you let it go on long enough and this entire mess becomes its own genre.
Yeah I get why they do it, I just don't get why people respond positively. It's like running into people who liked Terminator Salvation.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yeah I get why they do it, I just don't get why people respond positively. It's like running into people who liked Terminator Salvation.

Why wouldn’t you like an entire movie of the dark apocalypse future from the previous Terminator films? Robots got punched, including Arnie, time shenanigans happened. I’m not sure what else you expect from that franchise? I guess it was missing some one-liners?

e: like it wasn’t an AMAZING movie don’t get me wrong but for a Terminator movie it delivered exactly what I was expecting.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 23, 2020

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Arivia posted:

Why wouldn’t you like an entire movie of the dark apocalypse future from the previous Terminator films? Robots got punched, including Arnie, time shenanigans happened. I’m not sure what else you expect from that franchise? I guess it was missing some one-liners?

e: like it wasn’t an AMAZING movie don’t get me wrong but for a Terminator movie it delivered exactly what I was expecting.

Which presumably also describes the success of harem animes, they're exactly what people expect and it's a certain kind of escapism.

I think it's unfortunate when that sort of stuff predominates, but I think most of us have something that's not good art that we enjoy on some level. As usual the problem is capitalism and how it creates incentives that leave other needs frequently unfulfilled. If everyone who wanted to make whatever creative thing they wanted to could make it, it wouldn't really matter how many harem animes there were so long as you could find the stuff you like. (That latter being the fanfic problem.)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Terminators a bad analogy because it's a about fighting time traveling robots from the year 20XX so if you just make a movie about that you're not really hurting anyone aside from people who walk into it expecting some Oscar hunting film. Harem anime and light novels are legitimately bad because they are a male power fantasy that hinges on a group of women who are bundles of sexually attractive physical and personality traits that are utterly devoted to the audience stand in.

Generic gruff swordy adultman who saves the day reluctantly and sleeps with the babes might not be pushing the state of literature forward but at least they're not actively trying to be regressive like harem garbage that sells stupidly well.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Eej posted:

Terminators a bad analogy because it's a about fighting time traveling robots from the year 20XX so if you just make a movie about that you're not really hurting anyone aside from people who walk into it expecting some Oscar hunting film. Harem anime and light novels are legitimately bad because they are a male power fantasy that hinges on a group of women who are bundles of sexually attractive physical and personality traits that are utterly devoted to the audience stand in.

Generic gruff swordy adultman who saves the day reluctantly and sleeps with the babes might not be pushing the state of literature forward but at least they're not actively trying to be regressive like harem garbage that sells stupidly well.

Michael Bay movies, then.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
My limited understanding of anime genres suggests there must, as well, be a genre about a dull and painfully normal girl surrounded by extremely handsome boys that somehow are all interested in her.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There kinda are, but they usually have more poo poo about the main girl's actual inner life. Just enough to make her a character rather than a cardboard standy.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

I wonder if the guy who threatened to quit and take his team with him if the CEO didn't stop denouncing sexism actually followed through.

I know their global head of HR stepped down. Jesus Christ, what a complete departmental failure.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Arthil posted:

My limited understanding of anime genres suggests there must, as well, be a genre about a dull and painfully normal girl surrounded by extremely handsome boys that somehow are all interested in her.

Yes. It;s called reverse harem.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thomamelas posted:

I know their global head of HR stepped down. Jesus Christ, what a complete departmental failure.

It's always worth remembering that HR exists to protect the company, not the employees, so this was really working as designed.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

admanb posted:

Michael Bay movies, then.

I mean that's an entirely different angle of sinister considering the US Military helps him out

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Eej posted:

I mean that's an entirely different angle of sinister considering the US Military helps him out

Now be fair, they're still also extremely socially regressive with regards to women. One of the Transformers movies has an extended sequence about how Marky Mark's daughter is in a relationship with an older man and it's legal because of Texas' Romeo & Juliet law. And there's no payoff, just 'yup, I can do it!'

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Now be fair, they're still also extremely socially regressive with regards to women. One of the Transformers movies has an extended sequence about how Marky Mark's daughter is in a relationship with an older man and it's legal because of Texas' Romeo & Juliet law. And there's no payoff, just 'yup, I can do it!'

I want to say Devastator's balls was the worst part of those movies, but I think it was this.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dawgstar posted:

For even more context than that he was the one that had a 16 year old Megan Fox dance in a club while being sprayed by water as a background shot for Bad Boys II and also got her blacklisted when she got tired of being his sex object.

I guess we could just say Michael Bay, bad!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Dawgstar posted:

And there's no payoff, just 'yup, I can do it!'

There's no payoff for you or me because we're not trying to date 14 year olds. Watching that instructional sidebar likely rewarded somebody.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I've definitely seen Mennonites with masks on

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Haystack posted:

I've definitely seen Mennonites with masks on

Mennonites aren't anti-medicine.

The beard does get in the way of a proper seal for a N95, of course, but that's something else entirely. (I have a full beard and learned this a few months ago when my dad was looking for them.)

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Arivia posted:

Terminator Salvation went wrong when they let Christian Bale play John Connor. Casting 2009 Christian Bale in Terminator Salvation was the right decision - but he should have been playing the Terminator, and playing the Terminator as close to "Evil superstrong Batman" as possible. Complete with Batman-style growl. Cast Batman as John Connor and the tension is nowhere near the same.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

neonchameleon posted:

Complete with Batman-style growl.

I much prefer the "conversational as long as it's useful, then dead silent while trying to keep people" take. It's a creepier vibe.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Transformers movies also have Tom Kenny doing the voice acting equivalent of black face.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Yes. It;s called reverse harem.

I usually hear it called as Otome as it's similarly based on a certain type of Visual Novel genre, Otome games which are basically also dating sims or what have you but with a female character as the protagonist and their options are various handsome men/boys.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Xelkelvos posted:

I usually hear it called as Otome as it's similarly based on a certain type of Visual Novel genre, Otome games which are basically also dating sims or what have you but with a female character as the protagonist and their options are various handsome men/boys.

Otome games are specifically dating games, there are plenty of non-otome games that have reverse harems and otome games that have a reverse harem ending

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fsmhunk posted:

The Transformers movies also have Tom Kenny doing the voice acting equivalent of black face.

I always think of Bay's defense of Skids and Mudflap as 'they're not supposed to be black, they're supposed to be white kids who act black' as though that made things appreciably better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

plz shut the gently caress up about anime