Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://discord.gg/DWnexP3

TG board game discord has some channels for organizing games. Id be interested maybe but ill have to sort out my schedule in the near future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

im struggling to do basic work-from-home work at home now. it is giving me acres of anxiety to write 3k words about poo poo i know about. i seem to be backsliding despite wanting to work from home forever. everyday is exactly the same

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

StashAugustine posted:

https://discord.gg/DWnexP3

TG board game discord has some channels for organizing games. Id be interested maybe but ill have to sort out my schedule in the near future

Invite is dead. Love to join though.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

E nevermind

Zeriel has issued a correction as of 03:01 on Jul 20, 2020

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Ice Phisherman posted:

Hi thread. I'm an online activist for covid stuff and political stuff. I've been staring into the void for a bit. Doesn't feel great. Especially since I'm in uh...Month five of this poo poo.

I have some pills that I take as needed, but I bite them in half because I don't really like the feeling of physical exhaustion they put me in, though the mild sleepiness from the half is nice.

I exercise and journal and read and write for fun and I'm usually good about self-care, but today just sort of sucks and not much is working and I'm pretty sure I know why. I'm missing people and largely I don't see any save for my roommates, whom I don't have much in common with so I don't interact much.

I don't think I'm in need of a therapist, at least not yet. Mostly I'd just like to talk to people in a low stress environment and plug into a community that isn't toxic where I can hear someone's voice and respond in kind. Somewhere where I can go talk and be heard where I don't have to think about covid or activism.

I'm a big fan of board games and have a cop of board game simulator. I run and play in tabletop games and I'd be down to run a Shadowrun game or something. I'm interested in online gaming, though not pvp, too much stress. Mostly I'd just like to have a vehicle to chill out with people and I'd like some suggestions if anyone has any.

I think we might have the same as-needed pills lol I have been having trouble sleeping too, so I just take one at every night and it's quite nice to be able to sleep for more than a few hours at a time. (my doc suggested to do that, please do not do something your doc doesn't tell you is ok first)

I don't really have any suggestions for you because I'm kind of in the same boat as far as loneliness. poo poo sucks man. you know where to find me if you ever need something or want to commiserate or whine or vent or talk about anything other than political theory :)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Invite is dead. Love to join though.

whoops, try this:?

https://discord.gg/Xb7gS6u or https://discord.gg/CZHdKaE

StashAugustine has issued a correction as of 03:08 on Jul 20, 2020

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I'm extremely lonely and sad. I applied for a job and it had 734 applicants. Feel like I will never have a job again, just watching my bank account dwindle. I was doing ok but it's starting to get to me, and I'm taking my anxiety and depression out in my relationship by asking my boyfriend if he's going to leave me for being depressed. Morale is low.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

I'm extremely lonely and sad. I applied for a job and it had 734 applicants. Feel like I will never have a job again, just watching my bank account dwindle. I was doing ok but it's starting to get to me, and I'm taking my anxiety and depression out in my relationship by asking my boyfriend if he's going to leave me for being depressed. Morale is low.

Right there with you on the job stuff. Lost my job in April and nothing is hiring. Reach out to friends and your bf. Solidarity friend.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

My grandma got hurt bad in a fall and wound up having to go to an old folks home about three months ago, total radio silence. I know the recovery is what gets you, so it's been tense. Finally hear back today, she's finally online and as healthy as she can hope to be... But she tells me cancer took my aunt a week ago. 51 years old.

At least the BPD isn't in crisis mode right now, I guess? gently caress.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

err posted:

Right there with you on the job stuff. Lost my job in April and nothing is hiring. Reach out to friends and your bf. Solidarity friend.

thank you and solidarity

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
Had an argument with a friend a while ago. I'm an underachiever and he was saying if I applied myself I could have more. My response was I have everything I could ever want. Granted I'll never be able to retire and I'm at pretty high risk for a number of medical ailments.

I've never really had ambition, and I wonder how common that is.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why would you? It's a valid response to our world imo. Not everyone wants to climb into the landlord class

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

snip

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 16:13 on Sep 29, 2021

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Yeah, this is how I feel. Increasingly so as I get older.

I don't need a huge house. I want a small one. Microhome would be cool and is pretty affordable. Easy to heat, easy to cool. Live wherever. Be defined by what I own or consume as little as possible. Live on the cheap in some rural area, but go urban if I want for culture when I need it.

And I'm doing that. Sort of. Life is pretty drat okay right now. I did get roommates and they are at higher risk for covid. That really sucks. But I have people around me that I can sometimes talk to even if none of us have much in common. Micro home is on pause for the moment. I don't want to live alone for the duration of the crisis. And I'm living okay and eating okay and living mostly how I want. So it's all good.

Retirement isn't an age though. It's a financial state and that state can end with poo poo like bad investments. But living small and living within your means can definitely take the stress off your life. Capital wants you to endlessly consume, live beyond your means, wind up in debt to them so that they can collect rent forever off your rear end. gently caress that. Live small, within your means, but don't stress. And I think that a lot of people will be able to do that in the coming months and years as we go more and more remote with our jobs, if we can.

Somebody has issued a correction as of 16:13 on Sep 29, 2021

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Ice Phisherman posted:

Yeah, this is how I feel. Increasingly so as I get older.

I don't need a huge house. I want a small one. Microhome would be cool and is pretty affordable. Easy to heat, easy to cool. Live wherever. Be defined by what I own or consume as little as possible. Live on the cheap in some rural area, but go urban if I want for culture when I need it.

And I'm doing that. Sort of. Life is pretty drat okay right now. I did get roommates and they are at higher risk for covid. That really sucks. But I have people around me that I can sometimes talk to even if none of us have much in common. Micro home is on pause for the moment. I don't want to live alone for the duration of the crisis. And I'm living okay and eating okay and living mostly how I want. So it's all good.

Retirement isn't an age though. It's a financial state and that state can end with poo poo like bad investments. But living small and living within your means can definitely take the stress off your life. Capital wants you to endlessly consume, live beyond your means, wind up in debt to them so that they can collect rent forever off your rear end. gently caress that. Live small, within your means, but don't stress. And I think that a lot of people will be able to do that in the coming months and years as we go more and more remote with our jobs, if we can.

the microhome thing has always been appealing, but I'm entirely too irrationally attached to way too much stuff. just material stuff. thinking about living without so much stuff feels amazing, but then I think about actually getting rid of the stuff, and gently caress that lol

I hope you can live out your teeny microhome dreams soon :)

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Today is officially 30 days off Latuda. Boy howdy what a trip it's been. :toot:

I get to see the psych Thursday! My 30-day mood chart is a mess. Lots of bad sleep, anxiety, and some scary derealization episodes.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ice Phisherman posted:

Hi thread. I'm an online activist for covid stuff and political stuff. I've been staring into the void for a bit. Doesn't feel great. Especially since I'm in uh...Month five of this poo poo.

I have some pills that I take as needed, but I bite them in half because I don't really like the feeling of physical exhaustion they put me in, though the mild sleepiness from the half is nice.

I exercise and journal and read and write for fun and I'm usually good about self-care, but today just sort of sucks and not much is working and I'm pretty sure I know why. I'm missing people and largely I don't see any save for my roommates, whom I don't have much in common with so I don't interact much.

I don't think I'm in need of a therapist, at least not yet. Mostly I'd just like to talk to people in a low stress environment and plug into a community that isn't toxic where I can hear someone's voice and respond in kind. Somewhere where I can go talk and be heard where I don't have to think about covid or activism.

I'm a big fan of board games and have a cop of board game simulator. I run and play in tabletop games and I'd be down to run a Shadowrun game or something. I'm interested in online gaming, though not pvp, too much stress. Mostly I'd just like to have a vehicle to chill out with people and I'd like some suggestions if anyone has any.

I've been grinding on path of exiles lately, if you liked diablo 2 or 3 you should check it out. It's honestly quite chill.

Extensive Vamping posted:

Had an argument with a friend a while ago. I'm an underachiever and he was saying if I applied myself I could have more. My response was I have everything I could ever want. Granted I'll never be able to retire and I'm at pretty high risk for a number of medical ailments.

I've never really had ambition, and I wonder how common that is.

more than anything, I have always wanted to not feel like I failed and disappointed everyone, which I know is not something I should want to be my driving motivation. I don't mean for it to be. But I personally don't have grand ambitions about being the greatest, I just want to not have failed. If I could live without the stress of what if I fail I would probably be 10 times as successful. :sigh:

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

empty whippet box posted:

I've been grinding on path of exiles lately, if you liked diablo 2 or 3 you should check it out. It's honestly quite chill.

more than anything, I have always wanted to not feel like I failed and disappointed everyone, which I know is not something I should want to be my driving motivation. I don't mean for it to be. But I personally don't have grand ambitions about being the greatest, I just want to not have failed. If I could live without the stress of what if I fail I would probably be 10 times as successful. :sigh:

There's nothing wrong with using your "unhealthy" behaviors and drives in positive ways. Channeling your poo poo to get what you want is a huge piece of self-actualization. also poe owns

edit: oh also regarding the stress of "what if I fail what if I fail": I feel that my dude. It's a hard piece to get over. for most people myself included what finally worked was sitting with the thoughts and asking myself "wow what if i actually do fail?". and REALLY sitting with it, not running away. There's an earlier post I made itt about sentence repetitions which helped me a ton. you might find that very helpful

thehandtruck has issued a correction as of 05:16 on Jul 22, 2020

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

prom candy posted:

I just wanna say I'm pretty sick of my problems and I'd like it if my brain could process anxiety more appropriately

same :smith:

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Just out of curiosity what methods of dealing with anxiety have you guys tried? Anxiety can turn to depression once you feel trapped by the anxiety.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

thehandtruck posted:

Just out of curiosity what methods of dealing with anxiety have you guys tried? Anxiety can turn to depression once you feel trapped by the anxiety.

Journaling works for me and it's very cheap. Putting down my feelings on paper really helps and if I dig deep enough, I feel very relieved for the rest of the day. YRMV.

I write a bunch for fun. Creative endeavors really help me out, though when my anxiety gets high I can't do this.

Running. There's a primal feeling to running that you can literally outpace your problems. I can't do this right now as much as I want because it's hot as balls outside, but I can do it at night and do.

Getting outside and soaked up some rays. It's nice. Get that vitamin D.

Having a soak in the bathtub. I'll bring along some drinks and a snack and lay in it for an hour while listening to my favorite youtubers. My personal favorite is SB, who is a let's player whose pretty drat intelligent and usually pretty humble. He's largely...Not unafraid to fail, but he allows himself to fail and be seen failing. I'm a huge fan of his Disco Elysium play-through. https://www.youtube.com/user/Sumashful/videos My brain isn't constantly active and thinking without me telling it to. But it is constantly on and ready to receive. Very chill youtubers are juuuust enough to help me focus my brain and it's the closest thing I can do to turning it off outside of drugs.

Exercise in general. Lifting weights, body weight exercises, that sort of thing.

Pills. I take trazadone as needed and it puts me to sleep. I don't like taking so much that I feel boneless. I mostly use half tablets and that helps me relax just enough.

The real silver bullet for me are audio tracks for guided meditation/guided hypnosis. That's what I use when I'm profoundly anxious. But I am absolutely useless for hours afterwards. Still, in about twelve minutes I can relax and if I go through my track twice, my everything is relaxed and it's wonderful. And I can actually push myself deeper into relaxation through a kind of temporary post-hypnotic suggestion and it's like sinking deep into a warm bath and it's amazing.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thehandtruck posted:

smoking weed until I can't see, think, or walk straight

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I got put on a beta blocker because of high blood pressure and tachycardia. it had the side effect of utterly destroying the black cloud of constant formless sourceless dread that followed me everywhere I went. of course, I still deal with some anxiety because the world is in the process of falling apart, but i'll take what I can get.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

thehandtruck posted:

i'm heavily medicated, which helps, but isn't exactly a method for dealing with it. sometimes i write; sometimes i read and fill out workbooks with titles like The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook (Sixth Edition); but, mostly, i drink, isolate, and distract myself. needless to say, this isn't exactly a healthy method for dealing with it. and as you said, this leads to, and is bound up with, depression, something else i've got in spades.

i keep putting off finding a therapist. i had bad experiences with them as a kid. and, back then, i didn't have the legal rights to deny their services. involuntary commitment seems to have a scarring effect on many who are subjected to it, and i was subjected to it from a pretty young age, which made it especially bad. so, i have some insight as to why i have this base-level fear of and ongoing aversion is towards seeking more treatment (besides the meds, i mean).

but, yeah, i really need to get over it and talk to someone. for a while i was so depressed that, besides not wanting to go, therapy would be wasted on me, a hopeless pursuit. in the past 6 months or so, since changing my medicine (fluoxitine ftw), i'm anti-depressed enough to think therapy would be a worthwhile endeavor. i just have to get over this lingering fear

Peeches
May 25, 2018

thehandtruck posted:

Finding community, here and the discords have been helping me a lot. I tried journaling but it didn't help me much. Also staying busy, like actively making plans to do lots of things.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

thehandtruck posted:

There are a bunch of CBT and DBT interventions I've tried that I've had varying success with, and a few other things:
  • Designated Worry Time: intentionally worry intensely about poo poo for 10 minutes every day, so when worries surface in your mind you can say to yourself "I'll worry about this tomorrow during my DWT." Sounds wacky but it worked amazingly well for me at conquering specific worries. I stopped doing that once the only anxiety I had left was generalized and not specific.
  • Mindfulness meditation: allows you to process the physical responses to anxiety without judgment. I found it to be moderately helpful for calming down in the moment.
  • Radical acceptance: Allows you to accept reality and enact change (if possible) without fighting reality. This reduces long-term suffering to momentary pain and allows us to react to situations with less intensity.
  • 4-7-8 breathing: can help return your heart rate to normal. I use this when I go to bed every night, and it really does help me get to sleep.
  • Any activity that requires the kind of intense concentration that leads to a different level of consciousness. Basically anything that puts you in a state where people need to say your name a few times before you realize they're talking to you. Things like painting, programming, playing an instrument, writing, etc. You wouldn't do these things to get out of a state of anxiety, it's a preventative measure.
  • l-theanine can help you if you're having generalized anxiety or if it's being caused by some substance (like if you're jittery from coffee), side effects from medication, withdrawal from medications, etc. If you can't find the supplement, try green tea.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
I feel like I'm setting myself up for failure with any sort of honesty at all.

Someone yesterday asked me to do a thing, it was a reasonable thing that most people could do and there's not really a good excuse to not do it, so as to be as vague as possible about things.

I did what I usually do about it, freak out for 3 hours and hate myself over it while not responding.

The reason I don't respond is that there is no good fake excuse, and my actual reason is "I haven't talked to a stranger without speed in years, least of all on the phone, and do not think the activity you want me to do will be improved by having a socially avoidant junkie freaking out near you."

Is there a way to proceed if that's what happens, without absolutely torpedoing the entire room?

I can lie. Say "I just don't want to," "I'm busy," etc., but are those any better than just not responding? They all seem a lot better than the truth. Nobody gives half a poo poo why someone is paralyzed about talking unless they're getting paid to give that half of a poo poo. What's more, it's me just lobbing a stupid pity bomb into a conversation. So instead of just feeling mildly like a jerk who didn't respond to a request, now I look like a big fat crybaby desperate for pity and attention and ensuring that the nice person who asked me to do a good thing feels awful.

Who gains anything from that? Honesty without use, truth that's worse than lies.

But the lies don't do anything but get people to leave me alone, and don't even do that as well as being quiet and hiding by not responding.

I can't even ask people who've kicked drugs what to do because I have no idea how I'd be remotely able to function actually sober, since the one thing that keeps me from bashing my head into the wall is

and it feels pretty loving callous to ask people who got over other drug problems how I can manage living without speed but refusing to quit smoking.

Idk, I know the answer to this is to get loving therapy and poo poo, I'm just hoping for a more feasible solution even though it's not there. I'm not going to hurt myself, I just can't see a future with any light in it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I just don't think weed is like having a regular drug problem. I was a junkie for years and the all-consuming identity-changing lifestyle-defining necessities inherent to physical addiction are just totally unrelated to smoking weed every day in terms of the way it impacts most people's lives, so it shouldn't feel inconsistent to smoke in order to diminish the misery of alienated late capitalist life even if you're sober from other, harder, drugs, imo. i don't drink or take anything other than weed (and my prescribed suboxone, which I'm on a low dose of and has no noticeable effects) so i consider myself sober and i think that's basically okay.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

xpost from the med thread, but I was assigned a low dose of Pristiq (25mg) and a low dose of Lunesta (1mg?) for anxiety/obsessive thoughts and insomnia, respectively. I've heard spotty things about Pristiq, especially coming off it, so I'm nervous. Guess we'll find out :goleft:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm in bad shape. Every day is torture to get through. I literally do nothing at my job and feel like a waste of space, and I'm not even sure I can do my job anymore given how jacked up my anxiety is. Anything I try to do hobbywise feels bland and meaningless. It is torture just to get through the day as the minutes crawl by.

I need something, anything, to hang onto here. I don't know where the exit door is except for one way and we're not loving doing that again.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm in bad shape. Every day is torture to get through. I literally do nothing at my job and feel like a waste of space, and I'm not even sure I can do my job anymore given how jacked up my anxiety is. Anything I try to do hobbywise feels bland and meaningless. It is torture just to get through the day as the minutes crawl by.

I need something, anything, to hang onto here. I don't know where the exit door is except for one way and we're not loving doing that again.

my job is 100% free from human contact and I bet yours probably isn't since most people's aren't, but podcasts and other binge-stuff get me through the day, that and extremely bouncy techno music

job distractions are literally what keep me going now that I'm at home lol

I wish I knew how to advise proper distractions for people better, they're so important and so individual

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Chokes McGee posted:

I know it's hard, but look at it this way: each day is another day you get through. that's great! maybe you weren't productive, or maybe you weren't helpful to anyone, maybe you didn't feel happy or do anything interesting, but you loving made it through. and that isn't nothing. that's hard loving work right now.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Chokes McGee posted:

hey, if you hang on I will. we're really shaping up to be in a verhoven movie sooner than later.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Consummate Professional posted:

hey, if you hang on I will. we're really shaping up to be in a verhoven movie sooner than later.

buenos aires was an inside job

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

I feel you, friend. I've been virtually non-functional at work because of my anxiety and not a whole lot gives me pleasure right now. I have no healthy coping mechanism other than recreational drugs and have leaned on them too much over the years, so now when I'm going through the wringer I have little else to turn to.

Is it that medication isn't working for you? :(

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

novaSphere posted:

I feel you, friend. I've been virtually non-functional at work because of my anxiety and not a whole lot gives me pleasure right now. I have no healthy coping mechanism other than recreational drugs and have leaned on them too much over the years, so now when I'm going through the wringer I have little else to turn to.

Is it that medication isn't working for you? :(

Make sure that your meds literally aren't making you worse. Some anti-anxiety/anti-depressant meds can make you worse, even suicidal. If you've literally gotten worse since taking your meds, go talk to your doctor immediately.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I've been off meds for 30 days now and I'm worse now than I remember before I even started medication last year. I'm starting Pristiq Sunday or Monday when I get back into town.

Currently I'm in an extremely low mood that came out of nowhere; feeling hopeless and sad again. It's happened a few times recently and usually lasts a couple hours, sometimes is a sign that I haven't eaten enough.

I'm in the mountains with a good friend but it's gonna rain all day tomorrow and all day Sunday and I don't want to be trapped up here and have to deal with a stressful and scary drive home during a thunderstorm. I'm scared of pristiq side effects. I'm scared of driving. I'm dreading trying to get to sleep tonight. I'm dreading being stuck in a tent for 8 hours while everything gets damp. Ugh.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Wow whew well sorry for the double post but I just had a small crisis. I'm getting better, walking with a friend around the campsite, but holy hell I spiraled out HARD.

Mental health is tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

You've done good work with this thread. I can't speak to much re: your life, but I can say that.

I started a new job about a month ago and I'm trying to figure out how, well, anyone is functioning at seemingly normal speed or capacity, or how anyone is concerned about running a business for profit right now.