Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Rotten Cookies posted:

Are Coleman propane stoves the standard, or are there other better options (within the same price range) I should consider? I've no experience using portable propane stoves like this, but it's one step closer to getting Ms Cookies to go into The Great Outdoors with me, I'll do it.

I've got a two burner Coleman propane stove without an ignitor and it works great. Strictly used for car camping. It doesn't have the greatest build quality, it feels cheap, but functionally it works great. Can do a bare simmer all the way to a rolling boil. The wind shields are kind of meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rotten Cookies posted:

Are Coleman propane stoves the standard, or are there other better options (within the same price range) I should consider? I've no experience using portable propane stoves like this, but it's one step closer to getting Ms Cookies to go into The Great Outdoors with me, I'll do it.

I got the classic Coleman two burner stove. It's cheap, pretty reliable and it's $43
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000020943NP-Classic-Propane-Stove/dp/B00005OU9D

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Rotten Cookies posted:

Depending on how much cooking you'll be doing and whether or not it's practical to bring a larger propane tank, you might want to check out Camp Chef. They've got a lot of varieties of stoves but in particular they have some outdoor double propane burners that are free-standing units meant for full sized cookware, and they'd be easier to use for double duty in the backyard or other non-camping events.

There are also some dual-fuel propane/butane burners that might be up your alley in which case I'd suggest looking into Gas One. These are nice because you can separate your burners and they're suitable for indoor use if you have suitable ventilation, which makes them great emergency gear for all-electric homes.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

A friend had a Cook Partner stove on a trip last year and now I desperately want one. The thing seemed bombproof.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We've used a coleman for decades and it's fine.

But I've got my eyes on a skottle for car camping, it's basically a stove where you stir fry EVERYTHING. Hell yeah.

crab hat CRAB HAT!
Feb 19, 2008
Doctor Rope
I'm considering getting into hammocking. I can get a Ticket to the Moon bundle pretty cheap, are they any good?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I don't know much about them but I don't see any ridge lines in their pictures. I highly recommend adding a structural Ridgeline eventually.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Rotten Cookies posted:

They are the standard stoves of the boy scouts and university geology department field trips in the US. I've definitely used Colemans as old as my dad. As mentioned they don't work super great in the wind but you get some decent stability and temperature control. I still break out the Coleman lantern for car camping.

Yooper posted:

I've got a two burner Coleman propane stove without an ignitor and it works great. Strictly used for car camping. It doesn't have the greatest build quality, it feels cheap, but functionally it works great. Can do a bare simmer all the way to a rolling boil. The wind shields are kind of meh.

I wonder if the new ones are less robust than the old ones? Looks like they are still made in the USA I dunno.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I wonder if the new ones are less robust than the old ones? Looks like they are still made in the USA I dunno.

The metal thickness has gone down, the coleman from the 70's my mom still has compared to the one my wife and I have (bought in the 90s') is night and day. The old one is a tank.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

CopperHound posted:

I don't know much about them but I don't see any ridge lines in their pictures. I highly recommend adding a structural Ridgeline eventually.

What does this do for you? I've been using a hammock without one for ages and it's been fine, what am I missing?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Breath Ray posted:

what are some good folding camping chairs that have some kind of back to them and fold down nice and small? drinkholder optional. couldnt see this addressed on first or last page...

I got these Sportneer Camping Backpacking Chair.

It's $59 for two of them. I haven't used them in the field yet but they're reasonably comfortable and are rated to the standard goon 350lbs. They're just 1lb.

I'm a bargain shopper.

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a

PokeJoe posted:

What does this do for you? I've been using a hammock without one for ages and it's been fine, what am I missing?

It makes sure that regardless of the angle or distance between hang points, the body of the hammock will always “sag” the same way which for many people means they can reliably get into the same lay position once they dial it in. Not necessary by any means, but is widely considered a cheap and easy upgrade.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Rotten Cookies posted:

Funny you bring this up.

I tend to do more backpacking than car camping so my stoves are all backpacking specific. Trying to cook while car camping over an MSR pocket rocket and a whisper lite are less than ideal. I've actually been looking at picking up a dual burner propane stove as well. I'm thinking just a cheap coleman two burner as they're dirt cheap and really simple. Even when car camping, I dont want to bring something huge and bulky.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Yeah it's nice to have a two burner stove for car camping. I have a few options for lightweight single burners for climbing trips, but if I am just car camping I bring that camp chef. It's great to have a percolator and pan going, or a cast iron griddle over both burners, etc.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Verman posted:

Funny you bring this up.

I tend to do more backpacking than car camping so my stoves are all backpacking specific. Trying to cook while car camping over an MSR pocket rocket and a whisper lite are less than ideal. I've actually been looking at picking up a dual burner propane stove as well. I'm thinking just a cheap coleman two burner as they're dirt cheap and really simple. Even when car camping, I dont want to bring something huge and bulky.

I have all those stoves and the Coleman is perfectly fine for car camping if you don’t need deep fry btu’s or to sear meat. For making eggs or pasta it’s fine. I use mine to boil skulls outside as well. I think I’ve had the same Coleman for 15 years and you couldn’t tell it from a new one.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

What are y’all using for cookware while car camping? I have been bringing a lodge 10” cast iron, but it’s pretty cumbersome, albeit useful.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I bought a bunch of used regular kitchen cookwear from Goodwill for like $2 because I knew it was going to get beat up.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

^^
A vast majority of my camping stuff is from thrift stores (my wife sells poo poo on Ebay so we were in them a bunch in the before times). I have a Lodge 2 burner skillet/griddle, a 12" cast iron pan, a 10-12" square w/ grill slats cast iron pan, and a 12" Dutch Oven that aside from the skillet/griddle were all purchased at thrift stores for ~ $25 total. The skillet/griddle was free because a woman who was trading stuff in at Next Adventure in front of me was moving and they didn't want it. I said please and thank you.

RE: cooking stoves, my mother in law one a MtnDew branded version of this Primus stove (https://bit.ly/3htcNY0) at a metal detecting thing a few years ago and gave it to me. It lives in one of those big black/yellow storage bins from Home Depot with all of my cast iron, some fuel and other "I'm living in this place for a while" base camp stuff. I've had a Coleman Grillin Griddle (https://bit.ly/32H1ojb) for years that is probably my most used cooking implement. I have cooked so many parking lot meals at the mountain with it, and it's stupid easy to clean. I came up on a Iron Lodge skillet/griddle that I use with my Primus stove now since it packs up into that bin easier.

There are boxes stashed in an out of reach part of my garage for a old Coleman stove & lantern. We rent from my mother in law and they've been there the entire 20 years I've been in this house. I just noticed a couple of days ago that the stove box is actually empty. I need to figure out if the lantern's is too.

RE: Small chair - I picked up a Thermarest Treo (https://bit.ly/39oAeib) for cheap a couple of summers ago. I wouldn't have paid more than the $30 I got it for, and an MSRP of $100 is :lol:. It only has 3 legs so it can be a bit treacherous for base camp drinking. But everything fits into the base and it's about the size of a water bottle. I keep it stashed in my "Running a snowboard competition" backpack in the winter so I have a handy spot to sit on course if need be.

highme fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 22, 2020

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

I fell down the Coleman rabbit hole when I started looking into the white gas 2 burner stoves that Coleman has made for for the past 60 years. I got on Craigslist and bought 1 for $25 and the other two people gave them to me for free. I picked up a 2000 424, 1977 414G and a 1972 413G and spent two weekends rebuilding them and figuring out how many times to pump the fuel tank to get the right air/fuel mixture. They are a little more trouble than the Coleman propane stove to operate but I think they are really cool. They work better in colder climates compared to propane but are pretty bulky, I only use them car camping and it's been enjoyable. https://bit.ly/3eNmA9n

Plus in a pinch they can run off unleaded gasoline!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone got a full setup going for car camping? Like a kitchen and tables and chairs and shower and toilet tent?

My wife prefers civilized campgrounds, but I don't get the point with all the crowds and being forced to walk 100 yards to use the bathrooms. And its so noisy, I don't know how anyone goes to those places without a full camper trailer or RV.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone got a full setup going for car camping? Like a kitchen and tables and chairs and shower and toilet tent?

My wife prefers civilized campgrounds, but I don't get the point with all the crowds and being forced to walk 100 yards to use the bathrooms. And its so noisy, I don't know how anyone goes to those places without a full camper trailer or RV.

Thats my struggle. My wife enjoys day hikes but DOES NOT CAMP. Its been a point of contention since we met and after nearly 10 years of being married she hasn't flinched. Ive tried just about everything I can do to get her out but sleeping overnight in the woods is not her idea of a good time. I think eventually a travel trailer with an actual bathroom is about as close as we'll get. I can do all my other fun stuff by myself/with friends.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
my gf's the same. what about glamping?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Verman posted:

Thats my struggle. My wife enjoys day hikes but DOES NOT CAMP. Its been a point of contention since we met and after nearly 10 years of being married she hasn't flinched. Ive tried just about everything I can do to get her out but sleeping overnight in the woods is not her idea of a good time. I think eventually a travel trailer with an actual bathroom is about as close as we'll get. I can do all my other fun stuff by myself/with friends.

Lol mine thinks a travel trailer is cheating, but still wants the family campground with the bathrooms and showers. I would love a travel trailer if it means I can get some sleep in one of those places.

I'm getting close to going out by myself as soon as I don't feel guilty about leaving her at home with an infant and a 3 year old.

I don't have a small tent though, and I'm not sure I want one. I do like the idea of those Australian swags, but there isn't a ton of availability in the US. Roof Top Tents are too expensive and I'd rather be on or near the ground anyway.

highme
May 25, 2001

^^ Get thee to the hammock thread.

My wife loves not camping. It works out great because she never complains when I go and I don't have to worry about planning for more than me.

edit: My kids are adults, so I only have to feel guilty about leaving her with the dogs.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Do we need a separate Car Camping / Overlanding / Glamping thread? Would trailers fit in there? I'm just saying because this thread has traditionally been about backpacking and lightweight stuff.

Also a "How to Camp" thread would be helpful - for example, I don't know anything about dispersed camping / BLM camping, and its something I want to do. I don't think I know enough to be an OP though.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Re: Chairs

Does anyone know of anything like the Therm-a-Rest Uno? It has a disc as a base so the feet don't dig into the ground. The disc also stores all the parts, and the whole chair can be inverted to use as a table.

Unfortunately they seem to be way out of production, but the design seems so smart to me...

highme
May 25, 2001

Hadn't heard of that chair before, but saw one on Geartrade a couple of days ago. https://www.geartrade.com/item/635265/thermarest-uno-chair-black-mesh

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Chikimiki posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking at gear & apparel for trekking in the Alps (and other mountains in the future), and I was wondering which would be better: having a down vest & rain jacket (ie Arcteryx Atom + Zeta), or just one weather resistant softshell (ie Patagonia Galvanized) ?
Trying to be as light as possible, and I wouldn't be going higher than about 3000 m. Temperature range -5°C to 25°C I would say.

Thanks in advance!

I am a bit late on this but I found this writeup on layering for backpacking to be interesting and apparently well though out (the link at the bottom has even more detail). I'm curious to see if anyone else has an opinion on that as I am not an experienced backpacker yet, just an enthusiastic day hiker.

FogHelmut posted:

Also a "How to Camp" thread would be helpful - for example, I don't know anything about dispersed camping / BLM camping, and its something I want to do. I don't think I know enough to be an OP though.

Seconded, hard. I live in SoCal so there's all this great land but everything that doesn't require some form of permit is ridiculously remote. I'm extremely interested in dispersed camping as there's massive tracts of national forest right nearby but hardly know where to start.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rob Rockley posted:

Seconded, hard. I live in SoCal so there's all this great land but everything that doesn't require some form of permit is ridiculously remote. I'm extremely interested in dispersed camping as there's massive tracts of national forest right nearby but hardly know where to start.

Where in SoCal? San Diego? The 909? The 949? The 213?

Everything requires a permit because people are always trashing the campgrounds and someone's gotta clean the place, unfortunately.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Chikimiki posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking at gear & apparel for trekking in the Alps (and other mountains in the future), and I was wondering which would be better: having a down vest & rain jacket (ie Arcteryx Atom + Zeta), or just one weather resistant softshell (ie Patagonia Galvanized) ?
Trying to be as light as possible, and I wouldn't be going higher than about 3000 m. Temperature range -5°C to 25°C I would say.

Thanks in advance!

So firstly the atom is a synthetic insulated jacket, not down (which is imo better for most purposes and a better place to start).

Heavier duty softshell jackets like the galvanized are pretty niche, imo. They aren't quite breathable enough to be a good choice as a light insulation layer in fair conditions, and they aren't quite as good as a hardshell in very windy or wet conditions. They are great in snow, though, while being more breathable than a hardshell, so they work pretty well as a terminal or do-it-all layer in colder conditions where a more common combination of very breathable insulation + hardshell would have you fussing with layer changes probably more often. Particularly good for skiing or alpine climbing, where layer changes are much more inconvenient and where it's very desirable to be able to add insulation without taking off a hardshell first. But they are expensive and not that versatile, so I would avoid them when just getting started with a more hiking oriented layering system--especially if you are going to be <=3000m and not spending lots of time in snow or near 0 deg. C.

For typical trekking in alps or similar mountains during summer conditions, you'd be better served by a light insulated jacket or fleece, and rainjacket/light hardshell. In part because you really want a rain jacket anyway because when you need one, you need one.

Personally I think something like:

1. lightweight fleece pullover, vest, or jacket
2. rain jacket (light hardshell)
3. windbreaker/windshirt or very thin and light softshell
4. light insulated jacket

Is your best bet. In most conditions, the weather resistance from your windbreaker or insulated jacket will be good enough. The rain jacket is there in case it is raining a lot, or if it's so windy that your relatively breathable insulation can't keep you warm. You could just use a rain jacket as a windbreaker / light weather layer, but it won't be as comfortable in most cases as even a really cheap windbreaker. You could also use a somewhat weather resistant insulated jacket like the atom as a terminal layer in mild weather, but it may often be too warm (and it's better to not sweat out your insulation so its dryer and warm if/when you need it).

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

starbucks hermit posted:

Everything requires a permit because people are always trashing the campgrounds and someone's gotta clean the place, unfortunately.

If you look at the forest service district motor vehicle use map they usually call out where you can turn off to do disperse camping with marks on either side of the road.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Flatland Crusoe posted:

I have zero desire to have a canvas wall tent, full stop.

Well, drat, I was gonna suggest a canvas tent lol. One of the guys I hike with always brings his 40 year old scout canvas tent on our winter trips, and that thing is bombproof. If you’re out in the winter, you can pack crazy poo poo like that in on a sled. It also gets legit warm inside there, I kinda want one tbh.

In the realm of not overly hikeable or probably as durable or insulated as you want, but the instant cabin pop up tents are pretty nice too if you haven’t looked at them.

yaffle posted:

I know, I wish I'd known that before I paid for the real ones. (which are pretty good btw)

As someone who owns both the helinox and the mediocre clone, the real thing is 110% worth the price difference. Best thing to buy are the foot balls so it doesn’t sink, or the foot tarp thing. Then you’re not fighting it every fifteen minutes like I tend to do. Then again, maybe I’m the only Sasquatch sized goon that has to deal with that

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

starbucks hermit posted:

San Diego incidentally but there's a lifetimes worth of hiking in the area and it's all within a few hours drive. I get why there's permits and would not prefer the alternative. I carry a trash bag with me every time I hike and most times I use it. But it is a barrier to entry for those of us that are interested but don't know where to start. There's lots of resources for big trails and peaks and lots of discussion about gear and the details of actually of hiking, but not dispersed camping or the like. It would be extremely helpful discussion especially since we have a revitalized outdoors subforum everyone's looking at now.

To bring it back to gear chat re. the clothing stuff, I also forgot about this post which was linked in the OP. FWIW I wear a long sleeved poly fishing shirt and running shorts and only put on a lightweight fleece when it's near freezing, but of course when stopped or camping you'll need at least that. A Frogg Togg jacket serves as my windbreaker/rain jacket obviously doesn't usually get packed when I hike locally. Morbus' suggestion re. alpine hiking is probably better because you have extra layers if it gets really cold and can go as light or as warm as needed.

e:

OSU_Matthew posted:

Awhile ago I posted a thread for where to hike, which could easily be updated to include more info about finding places. The idea was to find new cool places to visit and share suggestions. Here’s a link!

Forgot about this thread, thanks. Its a good thread.

Rob Rockley fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 23, 2020

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

FogHelmut posted:

I’ve swung in a pendulum on car camping... the more you pack, the more poo poo there is to deal with, clean, stow away, and usually less is more. I’ve been actively ditching stuff like that he mosquito netted popup, folding table and chairs, simplifying cooling and cookware (no more coffeepot or crockpot to do stuff like morning french toast casserole)

That being said, might as well glamp if you’ve got a car, doubly so with electricity. We’ve got an instant cabin 6 person popup tent, self inflating dual height queen mattress, lipo 8” tent fan fan, dual burner propane folding stove, cast iron dutch oven and skillet, spetznas shovel for the fire, full folding chairs, roto molded cooler and beer, bikes, kayaks, hot dog skewers, guitar or banjo, and most importantly, cast iron pie pans. The fewer dishes the better, and there’s so many recipes you can cook in these suckers and they’re all delicious!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rob Rockley posted:

San Diego incidentally but there's a lifetimes worth of hiking in the area and it's all within a few hours drive. I get why there's permits and would not prefer the alternative. I carry a trash bag with me every time I hike and most times I use it. But it is a barrier to entry for those of us that are interested but don't know where to start. There's lots of resources for big trails and peaks and lots of discussion about gear and the details of actually of hiking, but not dispersed camping or the like. It would be extremely helpful discussion especially since we have a revitalized outdoors subforum everyone's looking at now.

Awhile ago I posted a thread for where to hike, which could easily be updated to include more info about finding places. The idea was to find new cool places to visit and share suggestions. Here’s a link!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Does anyone have any tips for summer camping? We had a pretty cold Spring this year and for some other reasons I wasn't able to go camping at all. Now it's summer and hot as poo poo. I'm in Wisconsin so the humidity is around 60-80% which really blows. I really want to get out and do something though. I usually feel decent enough, with my broke brain, during the summer months to actually do stuff but it's always the worst part of the year. I don't want to die out in the woods atm.

Last time I went camping was 2 years ago and I got zero sleep the first night, the heat was part of it, and ended sleeping a big part of the day away in my car the next day. I'll be car camping since I don't know how to go backpacking around here and have never done it before despite having all of the gear. I'll be by myself too since no one I know is into this stuff. I ordered a small fan on amazon that I plan on putting on the roof pocket of my old REI Half Dome (1 plus?) facing down. As suggested earlier I'll probably get a site with electricity so I can try out my CPAP while camping. That might be a game changer.

I know there isn't really much else I can do besides maybe get naked. I don't like being naked though. I'm basically a never-nude. I asked in the YLLS hiking thread about keeping sweat out of my eyes and a few people mentioned a buff which I also just ordered. Sounds perfect for that sort of thing.

Do any of you guys camp during the hot summer months? Anything you do differently? Any specific gear you use?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Does anyone have any tips for summer camping? We had a pretty cold Spring this year and for some other reasons I wasn't able to go camping at all. Now it's summer and hot as poo poo. I'm in Wisconsin so the humidity is around 60-80% which really blows. I really want to get out and do something though. I usually feel decent enough, with my broke brain, during the summer months to actually do stuff but it's always the worst part of the year. I don't want to die out in the woods atm.

Last time I went camping was 2 years ago and I got zero sleep the first night, the heat was part of it, and ended sleeping a big part of the day away in my car the next day. I'll be car camping since I don't know how to go backpacking around here and have never done it before despite having all of the gear. I'll be by myself too since no one I know is into this stuff. I ordered a small fan on amazon that I plan on putting on the roof pocket of my old REI Half Dome (1 plus?) facing down. As suggested earlier I'll probably get a site with electricity so I can try out my CPAP while camping. That might be a game changer.

I know there isn't really much else I can do besides maybe get naked. I don't like being naked though. I'm basically a never-nude. I asked in the YLLS hiking thread about keeping sweat out of my eyes and a few people mentioned a buff which I also just ordered. Sounds perfect for that sort of thing.

Do any of you guys camp during the hot summer months? Anything you do differently? Any specific gear you use?

Yes! My year round goal is always to get outdoors overnight, at least once a month. During the hot summer months I’ll either backpack further away where the weather is more tolerable like in the mountains, or do a kayak or car camping trip. Here in a few weeks I’ll be going up to Kelleys Island State Park for some car camping, hiking, and paddling.

I’ve had great luck with meetup.com for finding people to go backpacking and camping with. Join a regular hiking group, network from there, and usually someone will know nearby groups that are active campers or backpackers. That really broadened my horizon and made a lotta cool trips and places possible.

Caveat being the US is royally hosed and I’ve stopped posting anything on my regular group. I had to cancel a buncha stuff in March, April, and May and I’ve been super reticent to post anything since due to factors beyond my control.

Tent fan helps, also set up in the shade so the tent doesn’t bake all day. Hammocks are a natural heatsink due to convection of cool air under you. All that being said, usually someone’s first night sleeping in a new place can be rough.

Otherwise get out and have fun! Lotsa cool places to visit, especially if you just start searching state parks, and especially ones with camping and lakes!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I won't camp when it's hot. Get more elevation or wait until the fall. :v:

Lots of beautiful camping in Wisconsin from mid September to mid October.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Small tip but I swear by sun sleeves for hiking and cycling these days. They actually feel quite cool and evaporate sweat faster than skin

The Wiggly Wizard fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've been all over meetup.com for just about anything I'm interested in and have had zero luck finding a group of people in my area that aren't over 50.

I don't work or go to school so I have no way of meeting people near me.