Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Humphreys posted:

Like Pass the Pigs?

Why is the centre one censored?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Last Transmission posted:

Why is the centre one censored?

it’s that pig image

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
The one with David Cameron?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

TTerrible posted:

I really did not enjoy him packing the void with black powder and then placing it on top of another anvil. Wiggling it. While bending directly over it. Surely he has to be grinding some black powder residue between the two anvils when he does that?

:whitewater:

You can mill black powder in a ball mill - it takes an ignition source to set it off, and "merely" grinding it between steel surfaces should not do it. Not that I'd be comfortable with it, either.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

The one with David Cameron?

:mrapig:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Computer viking posted:

You can mill black powder in a ball mill - it takes an ignition source to set it off, and "merely" grinding it between steel surfaces should not do it. Not that I'd be comfortable with it, either.

It isn't that contact sensitive until it is in an environment resembling an ACME cartoon and I'm afraid those anvils qualify.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Shouldn't one be yelling "fire in the hole!" before lighting the fuse.

And, like, actually yelling it, multiple times?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://bangordailynews.com/2020/07/18/news/piscataquis/maine-man-saws-neighbors-garage-in-half-amid-boundary-dispute/

Grove street...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jabor posted:

That's not really how your post came across.

The problem with leaving it on the jack as a second point of support is that this "second point of support" is unreliable - if it fails, suddenly your vehicle is supported to a different degree in different places, which could make it shift or even fall off the remaining supports.

But since you're probably just eyeballing this rather than rigorously measuring your setup, how do you know that the jackstands are even bearing any load at all? The reason you remove the jack entirely is so that you know the vehicle's weight is securely on the jackstands, and it isn't going to suddenly change.

:yeah:

Galileo Galilei posted:

I must relate a circumstance which is worthy of your attention as indeed are all events, which happen contrary to expectation, especially when a precautionary measure turns out to be a cause of disaster.

A large marble column was laid out so that its two ends rested each upon the piece of beam.

A little later it occurred to a mechanic that in order to be doubly sure its not breaking in the middle, it would be wise to lay a third support midway. This seemed to all an excellent idea.

It was quite the opposite, for not many months passed before the column was found cracked and broken exactly above the new middle support.

One of the end supports had after a long while become decayed and sunken, but the middle one remained hard and strong, thus causing one half of the column to project in the air without any support.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

The Waterjet Channel guys (a source of OSHA in and of themselves) cut a Harbor Freight anvil in half and part of it was made of bondo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quL14Csmi_Y&t=159s

I don't think they say it's from Harbor Freight in that video but they've referenced it in others

This reminds me of the classic failure of the Tay Bridge.

quote:

The workers at the Wormit foundry complained that the columns had been cast using 'Cleveland iron', which always had scum on it—it was less easy to cast than 'good Scotch metal' and more likely to give defective castings. Moulds were damped with salt water, cores were inadequately fastened, and moved, giving uneven column wall thickness. The foundry foreman explained that where lugs had been imperfectly cast; the missing metal was added by 'burning on'*. If a casting had blowholes or other casting defects considered to be minor faults, they were filled with 'Beaumont egg' (which the foreman kept a stock of for that purpose) and the casting was used.

*Forming a mould around the defective lug, heating that end of the column, and adding molten metal to fill the mould and – hopefully – adequately fuse with the rest of the column.

†A paste made of beeswax, fiddler's rosin, fine iron filings and lampblack, melted together, poured into the hole and allowed to set. A corruption of beaumontage, a filler used in furniture-making. "The nature of Beaumont egg is that it appears to be metal when rubbed with a stone."

“Beaumont egg” is Victorian Bondo®

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm sorry but, WHAT? "World Champion Anvil Shooter?" Like... that is a THING?

So they just light it off and back up and hope for the best?
What the gently caress do you do if the sun gets in your eyes?

This might be the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TTerrible posted:

I really did not enjoy him packing the void with black powder and then placing it on top of another anvil. Wiggling it. While bending directly over it. Surely he has to be grinding some black powder residue between the two anvils when he does that?

:whitewater:

They put a sheet of paper between the anvils, maybe so it isn't metal rubbing on metal.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

They put a sheet of paper between the anvils, maybe so it isn't metal rubbing on metal.

Not just paper, in the second video it looks like they stuck they paper to the anvil with creamy peanut butter to me.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

wow, the things I don't know about anvil shooting could fill a book

schmug
May 20, 2007

This is long, but it gave me the biggest case of the nope nope nopes I've had in a while.

Time stamped at the beginning of the money shots...or starts ~11:52 if that doesn't work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRPHXMLLu_w&t=712s

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
been watching this dude sneak into chernobyl and climb on top of antennas and unsafe stuff, but this one really hit me:

Climbing through this metal piping to break into an abandon bunker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLLOCmX79y0&t=70s

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 22, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
*Looks at calendar*
Actually it's too soon for Deus Ex.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

zedprime posted:

*Looks at calendar*
Actually it's too soon for Deus Ex.

Obviously, those pipes aren't 2 meters square, how are you expected to navigate them?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

LifeSunDeath posted:

been watching this dude sneak into chernobyl and climb on top of antennas and unsafe stuff, but this one really hit me:

Climbing through this metal piping to break into an abandon bunker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLLOCmX79y0&t=70s

The allure of the wish granter

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

schmug posted:

This is long, but it gave me the biggest case of the nope nope nopes I've had in a while.

Time stamped at the beginning of the money shots...or starts ~11:52 if that doesn't work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRPHXMLLu_w&t=712s

I've watched a lot of this guy and most of what he does is fairly benign.

But this video? What the hell was his thought process?

Moo the cow fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 22, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

BMan posted:

The allure of the wish granter

Thank you for that :allears:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Kith posted:

Harbor Freight sells cheap poo poo, literally and figuratively - their prices are often half the ask of proven brands like DeWalt, but that means their quality control is mostly driven by glances. Their hand tools are decent enough (mostly because it's pretty hard to gently caress up "lump of metal in a useful shape"), but anything complicated has a 90% chance to burn out or break in short order.

My personal rule is "do not buy anything from HF that can kill you if it fails." Outside of that, Harbor Freight is a good place to go if you need a tool immediately or cheaply. Or both.

So basically, never buy anything. Becuase cheap tools are a waste of time. a decent set of screwdrivers will last you forever if you treat them well, a cheap set will need replacing every 6 months as it turns out the lovely mild steel they made it all out of is softer than the wood screws you're using will tear our and leave your screwdrivers looking more like awls than tools.

Bonus though, at least allen keys then become a torque limited version, they simply twist off at a random torque, preventing overtightening!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Moo the cow posted:

I've watched a lot of this guy and most of what he does is fairly benign.

But this video? What the hell was his thought process?

Goon-in-a-well.txt

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/urOR48a.gifv

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Drone_Fragger posted:

So basically, never buy anything. Becuase cheap tools are a waste of time. a decent set of screwdrivers will last you forever if you treat them well, a cheap set will need replacing every 6 months as it turns out the lovely mild steel they made it all out of is softer than the wood screws you're using will tear our and leave your screwdrivers looking more like awls than tools.

Bonus though, at least allen keys then become a torque limited version, they simply twist off at a random torque, preventing overtightening!

There's times when you're only planning on using the tool for a weekend, or it's something that is innately disposable. Or you're poor and the lovely version is the only one you can afford while still paying rent.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Platystemon posted:

This reminds me of the classic failure of the Tay Bridge.

“Beaumont egg” is Victorian Bondo®

That is an impressive wikipedia page. The Tay Bridge disaster must be somebody's special interest.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

jetz0r posted:

There's times when you're only planning on using the tool for a weekend, or it's something that is innately disposable. Or you're poor and the lovely version is the only one you can afford while still paying rent.

It's also worth noting that there is a big difference in quality between 'cheap' and 'lovely', but not a huge difference in price.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

gently caress this boat in particular...

https://i.imgur.com/7KOI1IN.mp4

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
What? Lightning striking the tallest object? The hell you say

Wattsamatta
Feb 24, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

gently caress this boat in particular...

https://i.imgur.com/7KOI1IN.mp4

When you taunt God, what the gently caress do you think is gonna happen? There isn't even a cross bar on that crucifix. I can see why Jesus was pissed.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

thatbastardken posted:

he was 100% loving the woodchips

Buddy, they won't even let me gently caress 'em.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/wOYdOf0.mp4

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Did that boat just not have a grounding (watering?) wire or something? Or is that the kind of damage that happens even when you're grounded?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that is the kind of damage that happens when something is struck by lightning, regardless of grounding

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Finally, a Prius that coal rollers will have to respect

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

a primate posted:

Finally, a Prius that coal rollers will have to respect

The aftermath was kinda "I don't know what I was expecting"

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

eggyolk posted:

Did that boat just not have a grounding (watering?) wire or something? Or is that the kind of damage that happens even when you're grounded?

My uncle's boat had a strike some years back. He said every single electric thing on board looked like it had just detonated. Like, right down to the little cabin lights were all exploded.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Lightning goes wherever lightning wants to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

guess it's kinda hard to ground a boat

...unless you're docked. That sounds like it should actually be good practice probably, to ground your boat when your docked?