Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i'm deeply disappointed that atlus didn't take the nocturne remake opportunity to replace Raidou with Rai-ho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The oscillating quality of Nintendo's voice direction aside, 3D zeldas having VA is good since they'd been directing their cutscenes like they did have VA for a few games running and it was really weird.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just finished Persona 4 Golden on PC, true ending, normal difficulty with 100 hours played. While I know this thread is full of people who've played and enjoyed this ancient game multiple times, I'll still put some names in spoilers in case there are people who, like me, are only just getting the chance to play this game now.

TLDR: I loving loved it and I can't wait for Persona 5 to come to PC which it definitely will or I'll die.

I had some foreknowledge of the events in the game up until Mitsuo Kubo's dungeon in the midgame due to the Giantbomb Endurance Run which I watched years and years ago, but a lot of the finer details and dialogues were out of my memory so there were still a lot of neat surprises. While some of the themes the game tackles with certain characters feel very much a product of their time, let's say, the amount of genuine heart and the attachment I got with these characters was just excellent. I genuinely looked forward to seeing each new event and interaction between the party members.

I tried not to follow any guides but I did feel a little robbed when I got the bad ending from the dialogue choices regarding Namatame's fate. I petitioned to keep him alive but apparently chose one wrong line of dialogue which led to the police handling it instead, which really wasn't how I read the line. I had to go back and see where I went wrong with that choice and it was a little bit fiddly when my reasoning matched the good ending path.

Regarding time management, I went with my gut and didn't scum any social link except for Nanako's which I didn't realise was timed. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I didn't max it so I had to redo a few weeks making sure I got it before the time limit, which unfortunately meant I missed the halloween event and the costumes associated with them which was :smith:

Not too much to say about combat and Persona fusion, most members of my party were in the high 90's and I was completely maxed out with a bunch of Personas and an 80% complete compendium so that's a pretty good indicator of how much I enjoyed it. The dungeons weren't too engaging in themselves but I think I must have participated in about 98% of the fights that cropped up.

Okay now onto the most important part which are the (Main) characters, ranking them from my most liked to the least, and my thoughts on them. I've stayed out of the discourse of the game so my opinions are untainted by other's, feel free to skin me alive for insulting your waifu/husbandos.

Starting with my favourites because I want to gush over them

1) Nanako :3:
I couldn't complete the game without maxing her social link. She is adorable and while there have been some well-written child characters since Persona 4's release, Nanako really stands out to me as one I care about. I just couldn't bear to see her unhappy so every scene that had her hanging out with the gang and having a fun time was just wonderful. I barely used the stuff I harvested from the garden but like gently caress was I not gonna plant stuff and help her study <:mad:>

2) Kanji :ssj:
Oh my god I love Kanji so much. His English VA is excellent and the way he grows throughout the game had me rooting for him all the way. Any possible dialogue that involved flirting with Kanji I slampicked and I love how he's up for/amused by a lot of the outrageous options you can choose. I wanted to see his swimwear. I told him to let it all hang on the beach when he was caught out. Basically every response to anything I threw at him was the chillest response possible and I feel like I could easily hang with this guy. I also really liked his outfits, particularly his midwinter ones. There's a lot of :raise: surrounding his dungeon but after that stuff fades to the background, he's such a strong character. Also his Persona is rad.

3) Yukiko :blush:
My choice for Best Girl, one of the first social links I maxed and I stayed true to her the entire game. I have a soft spot for characters that are straight laced but have a fun side to them and Yuki never grated on my nerves. She looks badass in the Velvet Room outfit and her abilities carry hard in the early game, she really kicks rear end despite her relative inflexibility. She had a lot of moments and dialogue that made me smile and is just generally a chill and cool character.

4) Chie :ninja:
Not gonna lie, her voice actor did grate hard on me initially but that faded away before the midpoint. She's just a boss-rear end character in combat, I loved hurling her at enemies and critting for days. She's a lot of fun and while her personality seems like it should get annoying quickly, the shine never wore off and I'd get as pumped as she would for the next adventure.

5) Ryotaro :cop:
Big Daddy Dojima is a cool-rear end guy and hanging out with him suitably feels like the most "adult" of the social links. Yeah, he isn't gonna win Dad Of The Year award for the way he acts around Nanako and also he's a cop so that can only take him so far on my list, but I did feel a real need to make him proud and to have a proper conversation with him about the topics he brought up. Getting a replica outfit of him made me laugh and I used it all the way through the penultimate non-golden-ending dungeon because it felt so suitable.

6) Rise :nyd:
Pretty sure the game was burning hard to have Rise be the canonical romance choice because hoo boy does she play that hand hard. I did feel my gut wrench when the penultimate choice was hold her/do nothing while she was in the middle of a major existential crisis, to the point that I kind of thought it was kind of unfair. Just gimmie a neutral, supportive option, you bastards t:mad: Aside from that, I like how unflinchingly positive she stays and similar to Chie, she never truly grated on me which was kind of an accomplishment with her kind of character. I really liked a lot of the more down-to-earth discussions with her and her talks about people hurting one another without trying resonated with me a lot these days as a crusty old man.

7) Marie :confused:
Marie's a fun one and she was really intriguing, only really losing points for not being a constant part of the gang. Not the game's fault because from my understanding she's only present in The Golden, right? So she wasn't really around in the original one? Despite this, her arc is fantastic and I really liked how the poetry all comes home in the final dungeon. I like how most of her social link interactions result in her being with the entire group, which isn't something you see with the others for the most part.

8) Yosuke :comeback:
I think I recall Yosuke being more likeable when I was watching him in the Endurance Run than he actually is. He's a flipflop of a character: When he's just chatting with you and hanging around I think he's an interesting dude and I like listening to him, but when he's part of the group he becomes pretty one dimensional when it's not something involving the case or working something out. He goes from chill to shrill at the drop of the hat and again, I understand that it's a product of the time but his interactions with Kanji had me sighing in frustration. I don't hate the guy but my appreciation for him teeter-tottered throughout the game. drat good in combat though.

9) Teddie :pervert:
Sex Pest Bear. Never truly hated him but never really cared for his personality either, I like his development throughout the game but it kind of just stops at Boner City and doesn't move on from there. I know the game is Anime As gently caress but I don't have much patience for the type of character he is. Has some of the cutest outfits in the game inside and outside of his costume, I love his Midwinter set and drag outfit and to be fair he has some pretty great combat abilities, but I can't say I always appreciated his input.

10) Naoto :geno:
The only member of the group I didn't max the social link of. Naoto's not a bad character - far from it - but she's way way way on the bottom of my "character types I care about" list. Lawful, logical, dull. The thing I liked most about her was Kanji and her's chemistry but that's mostly because I liked Kanji. I'm probably missing some depth of her character by not completing her social link, but it kind of says a lot that I don't really feel that bad about it. Beast in combat, though, and I love that her weapon is A Fuckin' Gun. Also what the gently caress is up with her insanely skimpy outfit you get at one point? I actually kind of flinched when I saw what it was because it feels massively out of sync with the rest of the game. I know it doesn't mind being risqué with some of the characters but, really?

I didn't fill any school club social links and frankly my time management skills are awful, but I'm happy I got the majority of the main character ones completed. I feel so sad to leave my Real And True Anime Friends behind but man, consider me invested in Persona for as long as they keep bringing them to PC.

I think one of my big :aaa: moments was discovering you can talk to your friends about the outfits you've chosen/are wearing. That's such a weird touch but I loved the additional bits of dialogue you got for each outfit and the fact that others can chip in. God the game was so good.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Songbearer posted:

I think one of my big :aaa: moments was discovering you can talk to your friends about the outfits you've chosen/are wearing. That's such a weird touch but I loved the additional bits of dialogue you got for each outfit and the fact that others can chip in. God the game was so good.

I dunno if you noticed! But if you have certain pairs of characters in your party they'll actually comment on each other's outfits as well during the dialogue, it rules

Edit: oh wait I can't read and you mentioned that, well it's still cool!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Just finished Persona 4 Golden on PC, true ending, normal difficulty with 100 hours played. While I know this thread is full of people who've played and enjoyed this ancient game multiple times, I'll still put some names in spoilers in case there are people who, like me, are only just getting the chance to play this game now.

TLDR: I loving loved it and I can't wait for Persona 5 to come to PC which it definitely will or I'll die.

I had some foreknowledge of the events in the game up until Mitsuo Kubo's dungeon in the midgame due to the Giantbomb Endurance Run which I watched years and years ago, but a lot of the finer details and dialogues were out of my memory so there were still a lot of neat surprises. While some of the themes the game tackles with certain characters feel very much a product of their time, let's say, the amount of genuine heart and the attachment I got with these characters was just excellent. I genuinely looked forward to seeing each new event and interaction between the party members.

I tried not to follow any guides but I did feel a little robbed when I got the bad ending from the dialogue choices regarding Namatame's fate. I petitioned to keep him alive but apparently chose one wrong line of dialogue which led to the police handling it instead, which really wasn't how I read the line. I had to go back and see where I went wrong with that choice and it was a little bit fiddly when my reasoning matched the good ending path.

Regarding time management, I went with my gut and didn't scum any social link except for Nanako's which I didn't realise was timed. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I didn't max it so I had to redo a few weeks making sure I got it before the time limit, which unfortunately meant I missed the halloween event and the costumes associated with them which was :smith:

Not too much to say about combat and Persona fusion, most members of my party were in the high 90's and I was completely maxed out with a bunch of Personas and an 80% complete compendium so that's a pretty good indicator of how much I enjoyed it. The dungeons weren't too engaging in themselves but I think I must have participated in about 98% of the fights that cropped up.

Okay now onto the most important part which are the (Main) characters, ranking them from my most liked to the least, and my thoughts on them. I've stayed out of the discourse of the game so my opinions are untainted by other's, feel free to skin me alive for insulting your waifu/husbandos.

Starting with my favourites because I want to gush over them

1) Nanako :3:
I couldn't complete the game without maxing her social link. She is adorable and while there have been some well-written child characters since Persona 4's release, Nanako really stands out to me as one I care about. I just couldn't bear to see her unhappy so every scene that had her hanging out with the gang and having a fun time was just wonderful. I barely used the stuff I harvested from the garden but like gently caress was I not gonna plant stuff and help her study <:mad:>

2) Kanji :ssj:
Oh my god I love Kanji so much. His English VA is excellent and the way he grows throughout the game had me rooting for him all the way. Any possible dialogue that involved flirting with Kanji I slampicked and I love how he's up for/amused by a lot of the outrageous options you can choose. I wanted to see his swimwear. I told him to let it all hang on the beach when he was caught out. Basically every response to anything I threw at him was the chillest response possible and I feel like I could easily hang with this guy. I also really liked his outfits, particularly his midwinter ones. There's a lot of :raise: surrounding his dungeon but after that stuff fades to the background, he's such a strong character. Also his Persona is rad.

3) Yukiko :blush:
My choice for Best Girl, one of the first social links I maxed and I stayed true to her the entire game. I have a soft spot for characters that are straight laced but have a fun side to them and Yuki never grated on my nerves. She looks badass in the Velvet Room outfit and her abilities carry hard in the early game, she really kicks rear end despite her relative inflexibility. She had a lot of moments and dialogue that made me smile and is just generally a chill and cool character.

4) Chie :ninja:
Not gonna lie, her voice actor did grate hard on me initially but that faded away before the midpoint. She's just a boss-rear end character in combat, I loved hurling her at enemies and critting for days. She's a lot of fun and while her personality seems like it should get annoying quickly, the shine never wore off and I'd get as pumped as she would for the next adventure.

5) Ryotaro :cop:
Big Daddy Dojima is a cool-rear end guy and hanging out with him suitably feels like the most "adult" of the social links. Yeah, he isn't gonna win Dad Of The Year award for the way he acts around Nanako and also he's a cop so that can only take him so far on my list, but I did feel a real need to make him proud and to have a proper conversation with him about the topics he brought up. Getting a replica outfit of him made me laugh and I used it all the way through the penultimate non-golden-ending dungeon because it felt so suitable.

6) Rise :nyd:
Pretty sure the game was burning hard to have Rise be the canonical romance choice because hoo boy does she play that hand hard. I did feel my gut wrench when the penultimate choice was hold her/do nothing while she was in the middle of a major existential crisis, to the point that I kind of thought it was kind of unfair. Just gimmie a neutral, supportive option, you bastards t:mad: Aside from that, I like how unflinchingly positive she stays and similar to Chie, she never truly grated on me which was kind of an accomplishment with her kind of character. I really liked a lot of the more down-to-earth discussions with her and her talks about people hurting one another without trying resonated with me a lot these days as a crusty old man.

7) Marie :confused:
Marie's a fun one and she was really intriguing, only really losing points for not being a constant part of the gang. Not the game's fault because from my understanding she's only present in The Golden, right? So she wasn't really around in the original one? Despite this, her arc is fantastic and I really liked how the poetry all comes home in the final dungeon. I like how most of her social link interactions result in her being with the entire group, which isn't something you see with the others for the most part.

8) Yosuke :comeback:
I think I recall Yosuke being more likeable when I was watching him in the Endurance Run than he actually is. He's a flipflop of a character: When he's just chatting with you and hanging around I think he's an interesting dude and I like listening to him, but when he's part of the group he becomes pretty one dimensional when it's not something involving the case or working something out. He goes from chill to shrill at the drop of the hat and again, I understand that it's a product of the time but his interactions with Kanji had me sighing in frustration. I don't hate the guy but my appreciation for him teeter-tottered throughout the game. drat good in combat though.

9) Teddie :pervert:
Sex Pest Bear. Never truly hated him but never really cared for his personality either, I like his development throughout the game but it kind of just stops at Boner City and doesn't move on from there. I know the game is Anime As gently caress but I don't have much patience for the type of character he is. Has some of the cutest outfits in the game inside and outside of his costume, I love his Midwinter set and drag outfit and to be fair he has some pretty great combat abilities, but I can't say I always appreciated his input.

10) Naoto :geno:
The only member of the group I didn't max the social link of. Naoto's not a bad character - far from it - but she's way way way on the bottom of my "character types I care about" list. Lawful, logical, dull. The thing I liked most about her was Kanji and her's chemistry but that's mostly because I liked Kanji. I'm probably missing some depth of her character by not completing her social link, but it kind of says a lot that I don't really feel that bad about it. Beast in combat, though, and I love that her weapon is A Fuckin' Gun. Also what the gently caress is up with her insanely skimpy outfit you get at one point? I actually kind of flinched when I saw what it was because it feels massively out of sync with the rest of the game. I know it doesn't mind being risqué with some of the characters but, really?

I didn't fill any school club social links and frankly my time management skills are awful, but I'm happy I got the majority of the main character ones completed. I feel so sad to leave my Real And True Anime Friends behind but man, consider me invested in Persona for as long as they keep bringing them to PC.

Which were your favorite outfits, though?

Glad to hear you liked the game, though. Always gonna be my favorite Persona game, probably.

Did you max out any other S Links? Any favorites?

I neglected Adachi in my first run but now knowing what I do, I'm doing my best to max out his S Link. I wonder if everyone follows this pattern.

Glad you didn't hate Marie. I really think all the antipathy towards her is from older fans and I highly suspect the new generation of P4G players from the Steam release will be much kinder to her. Because she's the best. I'm already feeling like I'll have to romance her again even though I told myself I'd choose somebody else. And you technically can.... Very tempting. I probably won't but still tempting.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Andrigaar posted:

P4G/NG+ report:

Well now that the thread told me I could use my high-level personas at a low level, I went and repurchased my L70-whatever Trumpeter with Mind Charge and Megidolaon that I rode out the last few dungeons with. Vaporizing gold hands this early on is absurdly satisfying. But I want the Reaper's sword now and don't think I can solo that fucker yet since the other three members will just get gibbed when he does his elemental rotation (though I could have the other three guard the entire time maybe).

Just cleared Kanji's dungeon. Only playing a few hours a week now, but skipping the story chatter has me at nearly June in ~5.5 hours added to the clock since clearing the Golden ending. Even the mid-game weapons/accessories I'm using from Daidara continue to spank everything left and right.

Oh, and the Fox chat from a week or two ago. Since that story segment just happened, he's brought in by the team, he doesn't enter the TV on his own.

Oh I see. I forget, does the fox need to wear glasses too?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Level 37 against Shadow Mitsuo... Didn't go too well. I made it to the third speech segment on my fourth try so that's good but man, is it a drain on SP.

I was trying to find out what level to fight him at and found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YYgFeBq1Vo

This person beat him in the same amount of time it took me to lose, and at half my level. I guess I'm overleveled.

All I remember about this fight from my first run is he did some instant death bullshit right at the very end. I think Ghastly Wail kills everyone he effected with Evil Touch and he did that or some other insta kill move right at the end and scared the poo poo out of me. I won but it gave me a heart attack ya know.

The real pain of this fight is his speech segments give him the chance to automatically reform the shell and then attack you with super moves that I was not prepared for. Then it takes a billion years to chip away the second shell and I died on the start of the third one so I don't even wanna think how long it would take to destroy it.

This video does confirm though my fears that what you want is Hit/Eva up and Down for this fight more than defense up. I haven't really bothered much with that here because this isn't Press Turn. Dodging attacks doesn't make the enemy lose turns or whatever. Seemed kinda pointless when I could just tank it since "tanking' is 100% guaranteed while evasion is far more iffy.

I suppose the fact he has a pretty good Crit chance and then will immediately follow it up with Megidola (this has killed me twice) is a decent clue that you wanna dodge for this fight.

EDIT:

Anyway, I won at Level 37. Raja Naga with Power Charge and Torrent shot, thank you Marie. Yukiko was still dead at the end and I did have to fight a second shell but I managed it.

I should probably buy more than two Revival Beads. I only ever buy two, a relic of the days when I had no money. I figured 2 was enough to deal with unpredictable bullshit. But I had to waste a Balm of Life because I was out of them and I feel lovely for that.

I have 1 Assault signal left, gotta hold onto that. Even at this point in the game I'm still doing all the goddamn heavy lifting in terms of buffs and debuffs. It is no less tedious than when I complained about it 20 or 30 hours ago. Oh well. Nothing like beating a hard boss, even if the battle system isn't my favorite.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 22, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I guarantee you are not "overleveled"

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

real talk how do I get into this series as PC player only, not afraid to get my hands dirty with :filez:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well P4G is on Steam. Everything else will be a lot more complicated.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

frajaq posted:

real talk how do I get into this series as PC player only, not afraid to get my hands dirty with :filez:

get opinions on whether you should play Persona 3 FES (available for the PS2) or Persona 3 Portable (available for the PSP)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

frajaq posted:

Check out the Citra emulator for the 3DS. It has all the best SMT games: Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse, Devil Survivor 1 and 2 and Strange Journey Redux.
I hope you have a decent or semi-decent GPU to run it.

For PS2 you want PCSX2 emulator. Then you can play SMTIII Nocturne and Persona 3 FES.

PPSSPP is the PSP emulator if you want Persona 3 Portable which has an alternative female main character route that many swear by. PSP also has a very slightly upgraded Persona 2 Innocent Sin which is loving awesome. It is the only official English translation of the game, though. You could try the PSX fan translation but I don't recommend it, more for the fact the PSX version of the game is just unbearably slow. Also there is an undub for the PSP version if you really want the Japanese voices.

I humbly recommend Strange journey Redux as the best intro to the Shin Megami Tenei series. It has great gameplay, characters, story and music. It teaches you everything you need to know about the SMT series and in a very compelling way.
As for Persona....I would say Persona 3 FES. Maybe Portable is better but I never finished it so I can only recommend the game I completed and enjoyed a lot. It's primitive yes but that just means you'll find Persona 4 Golden all the more amazing for its many improvements. Going backwards would be very hard.

I use emulators but I feel morally righteous to use Citra because I can't see worth poo poo so an emulator is the only way I could ever have access to these great games that I deeply love. The PSP had a television attachment and the Vita had a whole separate console made to be played on TV. The 3DS? Fuckin' nothing. Goddammit Nintendo and you too Atlus. Put the 3DS library on Steam. It won't do P4G numbers probably but it's still worth it.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 22, 2020

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
citra might have FPS problems if you have an AMD graphics card though. it's a known issue last i checked but I dunno if it's been fixed. Like strange journey would lose half it's fps in menus and poo poo.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The 3DS games would require a lot of extra work to port over because of the second screen. P4G was probably significantly easier to port over to Steam than the 3DS games would be.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

frajaq posted:

If you want to break into this franchise with just a PC, you're going to need at minimum a PS2 emulator. The PS2 games, almost as a bloc, are very strong titles. Notable for me, at least, is Nocturne (of course) and Digital Devil Saga; I haven't personally played it, but I hear Raidou 2 is very strong as well. The PS2 also has access to Persona 3 FES, which you may want to play (P3P is also very good due to the female protagonist route, but the presentation is weaker; choose your version based on what's more important between those two factors.)

Beyond that, getting some way to play DS and 3DS games will also be important so you can play Strange Journey, SMT4+Apocalypse, and both of the Devil Survivor titles. Having access to a PSP emulator will also get you access to P3P, as mentioned above, but also a more complete version of Revelations: Persona.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

I humbly recommend Strange journey Redux as the best intro to the Shin Megami Tenei series.

gently caress it, lets go

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

What did you do

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:magical:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
NikkolasKing, you're goddamn evil.

I wholeheartedly approve. :twisted:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The original Strange Journey was my first SMT game. SJR is way, way nicer to players than the original was and also is just plain better in every way.

They'll be fine. I bungled my way through the original, I'm sure they can beat Redux.

Ouroboros was my Matador. I was so pumped to fight her again in SJR and see how my SMT skills had improved in 3 years. The hardest fight in the original was a cakewalk to me now. It's a good feeling to know you learned.

frajaq posted:

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It's a wild ride.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Looks like we all got the bug on Monday. I also installed Citra a few days ago to check out Strange Journey Redux. Dunno when I'll actually get around to it, and I'm keeping an eye on the Nintendo Shop since it seems physical copies of these games are expensive in the same way that kept me from ever playing the PS2 games.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

Looks like we all got the bug on Monday. I also installed Citra a few days ago to check out Strange Journey Redux. Dunno when I'll actually get around to it, and I'm keeping an eye on the Nintendo Shop since it seems physical copies of these games are expensive in the same way that kept me from ever playing the PS2 games.

I got mine in a Target for $30 just like a month or two ago, wasn’t aware it was a rare title!

frajaq posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that in other SMT games the dungeons are a bit more... forgiving? You’ll see what I mean.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I got mine in a Target for $30 just like a month or two ago, wasn’t aware it was a rare title!

Doesn't seem to be a commodity yet, but SMT4 and the older 3DS titles are $40-$120 on Ebay or Amazon (or $20-$30 digitally in the eShop).

Aaaand holy poo poo. My Persona PSP physical is $100+ :psypop:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm certain all the SMT and old Persona games just got a price increase due to the Nintendo Direct raising demand.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The biggest objection I have to getting someone to start with Strange Journey is that it has, on average, possibly the worst soundtrack in the series. Not to say it doesn't have its standouts, but a lot of it, especially the early bits, are quite dull and samey, and might give you a bad impression.

Which is a shame, because the series as a whole has :krad: music.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

theshim posted:

The biggest objection I have to getting someone to start with Strange Journey is that it has, on average, possibly the worst soundtrack in the series. Not to say it doesn't have its standouts, but a lot of it, especially the early bits, are quite dull and samey, and might give you a bad impression.

Which is a shame, because the series as a whole has :krad: music.

True, the early music is kinda weak with the massive exception of my all time favorite normal boss theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm0WlKRR3YU

And my favorite Law Theme which you first hear in the second world
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Mxyf4JNmw

But weak dungeon music is a problem I had with early Persona 4 as well. Every song starting with the third dungeon is a banger but before that? Very meh. Takes about four or five dungeons for SJ to get a good dungeon theme, sadly.

The most notable thing about SJ's soundtrack relative to all others is how traditional it is. I mentioned this just the other day but listen to that boss theme and compare it to something like Nocturne's boss theme or almost any other SMT/Persona battle theme. And remember, I started with SJ. Going from this to "babybabybabybabybaby" was very peculiar. SJ's soundtrack just isn't as...experimental(?) as most of Meguro's work.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Atlus still puts their 3DS titles on sale, and then everything except 4A and EO Nexus are dirt cheap.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Man, I really want to get SJ redux because I loved the original so much, but the dungeons are a lot more daunting when you aren't a high schooler with nothing better to do all day.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Andrigaar posted:

Doesn't seem to be a commodity yet, but SMT4 and the older 3DS titles are $40-$120 on Ebay or Amazon (or $20-$30 digitally in the eShop).

Aaaand holy poo poo. My Persona PSP physical is $100+ :psypop:
lol "Frequently bought together"

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh wow I actually have a bunch of these physical for some reason.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Check out the Citra emulator for the 3DS. It has all the best SMT games: Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse, Devil Survivor 1 and 2 and Strange Journey Redux.
I hope you have a decent or semi-decent GPU to run it.

Thank you for this, I didn't know that Citra existed. Dead simple to get SJ Redux going.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So apparently there's been some gameplay that's been released in Japanese featuring general gameplay and Matador. According to the uploader, the game is being played on the new merciful difficulty and demifiend is overlevelled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb7KEmlGb8g

In other news, :siren: MATADOR HAS VOICE-ACTING :siren:

Not sure if this will carry over to the English version, but from this, maybe we can assume all the Menorah fiends will have voice acting. I wonder if Raidou's cat will get a VA too.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Going from SMT IV and Apocalypse I would assume that most of the game would be voiced.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
nocturne was eerily quiet in a lot of ways and I think it'll probably lose some for adding voices but I'm a luddite who likes the woodpecker sound of text typeout for people talking

and maybe there will be a toggle or at least they might have the japanese vo around so people sound like they give a poo poo

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

jimmydalad posted:

So apparently there's been some gameplay that's been released in Japanese featuring general gameplay and Matador. According to the uploader, the game is being played on the new merciful difficulty and demifiend is overlevelled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb7KEmlGb8g

In other news, :siren: MATADOR HAS VOICE-ACTING :siren:

Not sure if this will carry over to the English version, but from this, maybe we can assume all the Menorah fiends will have voice acting. I wonder if Raidou's cat will get a VA too.

It was kinda hard to hear, but was it just me or did the battle music in this video sound like it was compressed as poorly as on PS2?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ChaosArgate posted:

It was kinda hard to hear, but was it just me or did the battle music in this video sound like it was compressed as poorly as on PS2?

It definitely is.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I mean, there's still like half a year before the game releases so maybe that will be changed? Then again, even if it isn't, I'm still gonna play it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I mean, the game's not gonna feel right if the lyrics in the battle themes aren't mostly incomprehensible. I feel like even just getting versions decompressed enough that I could make out a couple of words would kinda break it somehow.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I just wanna hear the variations on the normal battle theme in not-rear end quality. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
320 kbps 16 bit voice acting playing over Normal Battle recorded on Edison cylinder