Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
To give him credit where it's due, our trainer said this was the best he'd response ever seen to someone trying to fight a cop: the cop grabbed him from behind but then said, very softly, "hey, hey you're scaring me". Guy relaxed, apologized, and they arrested him.

So, the ideal was there, at least in training, by the cop that cared enough about this stuff to teach the class. That's not how it really works for most cops in the real world, abolish the police etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

TO THE POSTER THAT DARES
TO DEBATE THIS WARM GALE
BEWARE OF FOUL WEATHER
TOWARD MADNESS, SET SAIL

Toshokan posted:

So that means that anyone who would use…a folding stock on an AK, piston AR, or any other gun…is a Nazi?
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1281726699797962752?s=09

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

it's just a few bad apples!

brains
May 12, 2004

Stravag posted:

Its why they keep calling out stop resisting while they beat the poo poo out of people who are handcuffed and curled up in a defensive ball. Its gets the audio on record and usually its where the dashcam cant see it so they can throw extra charges at someone. Its also why body cam footage keeps being unavailable or the cams keep getting turned off

i see videos like that and all i can think of is that it's a prime example of absolute dogshit training. they were trained in exactly gently caress all for de-escalation techniques; they were told to yell stop resisting at the first sign of resistance, but literally nothing else, so that's all the cops do while they tackle someone and force arms into breaking positions while another cop sits on a neck.

no one is going to be listening to verbal commands when four 240 lbs. pieces of poo poo are grinding them into the pavement while wrenching their arms the wrong way.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Reminds me of the argument I had with this SGT who was a cop trying to give LE experience as a NCO bullet after hours; he asked me to assist since I did security and knew basic techniques, but he would just start going ham with all these weird "what ifs" during demonstrations.

If you keep training how to recover from the worst position, you're going to find yourself in those positions a helluva lot more than if you trained on the basics, and you're gonna find yourself less equipped to handle the loving basics that happen all the time.

Like security I had to talk my way out of loving everything.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 12, 2020

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/EmmettTill/status/1282320801837002753?s=19

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
double posting gently caress the police

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1281783724644818944

for a good time just give that thread a scroll

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

I firmly believe some cops are doing these drive-bys and poo poo.

upon reading the article yeah, there's no way in hell that wasn't planned in advance. it wasn't a DriveBy

it was a loving execution

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/13/us/atlanta-shooting-images-secoriea-turner/index.html

quote:

Secoriea Turner, 8, was shot in the area of University Ave and I-75/85 Saturday night while riding in a vehicle with her mother and an adult friend, according to police. The driver was attempting to enter a parking lot at 1238 Pryor Road where a group of individuals illegally placed barricades. Someone in the group opened fire on the vehicle, according to police, striking Turner.

:tinfoil:

i reiterate. major Holiday (what other sound is similar to fireworks?:iiam:)... exact same area of the Rayshard Brooks murder by Cops...

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 16, 2020

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Don't think I've seen it mentioned yet, but an article on The Intercept goes over a significant hack of law enforcement data that was then made public.

Salon article here.
Wikipedia here, for anyone who doesn't want to read the analysis on Intercept or Salon.

This is still very early days, so not much of the data has been scrutinized. It was mostly collected by law enforcement agencies and then combined via DHS among local and federal authorities under the guise of information sharing, details are in the links above. The simplest way to put it - on the surface, it all looks like back channel communication among LEOs and LE agencies. For all that we see LEOs post some truly horrific poo poo on Facebook, some of what will come out of this will be the things they aren't willing to say publicly.

I don't have anything to add - this is effectively the law enforcement version of the Panama Papers from a few years ago, but it could provide some very interesting news in the months to come if someone (or a news agency) decides to really deep dive this and run with it.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1285252066886119437

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Lmao how low that plate carrier is being worn

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

TO THE POSTER THAT DARES
TO DEBATE THIS WARM GALE
BEWARE OF FOUL WEATHER
TOWARD MADNESS, SET SAIL

Toshokan posted:

So that means that anyone who would use…a folding stock on an AK, piston AR, or any other gun…is a Nazi?

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

He's trying to protect his pork belly, not his heart and lungs.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

That's how you know they're also the ones at the open carry and racist protests.

Too much gear and nobody knows how to wear it.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

TO THE POSTER THAT DARES
TO DEBATE THIS WARM GALE
BEWARE OF FOUL WEATHER
TOWARD MADNESS, SET SAIL

Toshokan posted:

iwentdoodie posted:

That's how you know they're also the ones at the open carry and racist protests.

Too much gear and nobody knows how to wear it.

I also really enjoy ill-fitting gear. These people would rather spend so much money on gear they'll likely never use a in a serious situation instead of spending time taking care of their health.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
https://twitter.com/MrOlmos/status/1285881253959307264

I am in favor of any sworn dhs agency officer being allowed to stand for a mass, brief, for-show trial under the bidenian terror

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Soooo, you guys prob have a bit more experience in this regard, assuming that you even *can* reduce police funding so it can be diverted to more effective social programs...

How do stop fired/retired/aspirational cops using their weapons experience and stolen caches of equipment from forming domestic terror groups? My mind goes to Paul Bremer's debaathication/disbanding of the Iraqi army.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Phobophilia posted:

How do stop fired/retired/aspirational cops using their weapons experience and stolen caches of equipment from forming domestic terror groups?

e.g. the Oathkeepers?

lol

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
By aspirational yes I mean Oathkeepers/3%ers/George Zimmerman/assorted militia types, people too fat and stupid and undisciplined and hostile towards coworkers to become actual cops.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
sorry, my joke was that they are already forming domestic terror groups and that the Oathkeepers are an example of one of those terror groups

edit: I'm not sure if "joke" is really the right word

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 24, 2020

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

We already have a significant number of paramilitary white nationalist groups. Adding a few ex cops to their number won't make a significant difference.

I think the key will be to not leave large warehouses of explosives, mortar shells, and other insurgent goodies unguarded for several weeks.

They already have plenty of small arms due to :911:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You get gene hackman to kick their rear end, mostly.

Edit: USA big, Sidney Poitier can help too.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phobophilia posted:

Soooo, you guys prob have a bit more experience in this regard, assuming that you even *can* reduce police funding so it can be diverted to more effective social programs...

How do stop fired/retired/aspirational cops using their weapons experience and stolen caches of equipment from forming domestic terror groups? My mind goes to Paul Bremer's debaathication/disbanding of the Iraqi army.

Excellent username/post combo.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

22lr as soon as they get hired lol.

But seriously replace everything the cops fire with 22 lr. Its cheap, it can be used in half the guns ever made thanks to ar cnversion kits, and there literally tens of millions of rounds sitting around so youll never run out. Also it reduces the operating budget of the departments and when cops start wildly firing at everything that has a shadow its much less likely to kill someone 100 yards away through a wall than 223 or 9mm. And even if cops to funnel their poo poo to their cousin in the kkk its not as useful in that scenario

Stravag fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 24, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Phobophilia posted:

I'd guarantee them jobs, homes, and healthcare, just like everyone else. Would that work? Could we even do it? Maybe not, but the problem you describe is, more broadly, one that we already have: Imperial wars always come home

(linked article is pretty good and on-topic i think)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Stravag posted:

22lr as soon as they get hired lol.

Any attempt to "downgrade" police access to "sufficiently" lethal weapons will almost assuredly come with a call for the seizure of or mandatory alterations to arms in the hands of the general populace. And as any gun owner (especially Californians and District-dwellers) will tell you right now, the best way to restrict the public's right to bear arms is by ensuring no one's able to easily or readily buy ammunition or reloading supplies.

It's a Pandora's Box that's been open way too damned long and has way too much money jamming the lid ajar to ever close it.

I also think that if you *only* gave cops .22LR, they're going to use their service weapons even more often than they do *now* because they'll see the smaller "wimpier" caliber as a "less lethal" alternative to what they were originally trained on.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BIG HEADLINE posted:

cops . originally trained

Lmao

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1286585525365768193

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

MRC48B posted:

We already have a significant number of paramilitary white nationalist groups. Adding a few ex cops to their number won't make a significant difference.

I think the key will be to not leave large warehouses of explosives, mortar shells, and other insurgent goodies unguarded for several weeks.

They already have plenty of small arms due to :911:

Well, while most cops aren't operator ninjas they're still a lot more competent and have access to more resources than your average skinhead.

That being said the cops will work with far right groups anyway, they already do and when things continue to get worse they'll bring them in and do it more blatantly, and disbanding police departments at least makes them less dangerous since they'll do it anyway.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-yor...7hpi-story.html

As you do i guess

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
This is woke at 1:07am PST

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
https://twitter.com/UnsolicitedSin/status/1287459861471559684?s=09

Can anyone identify these badges on this storm trooper?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

better copy of pic, what the gently caress is that weapon

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The patch says US Border Patrol.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

The patch says US Border Patrol.

And "BORTAC," which is CBP's "SWAT-like" team. General consensus seems to be "NZ39" is his badge/ID number.

Abs of loving steel under that plate-less plate carrier, tellin' ya whut. :rolleyes:

DoubleAughtMeowMix
May 3, 2006

B33 < Meow what is so funny

shame on an IGA posted:

better copy of pic, what the gently caress is that weapon

Looks like a standalone HK M320 grenade launcher.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
i can't say for certain but i think they use those letter and number patches as a callsign vs using a surname.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Probably the cop equivalent of a battle roster number, his initials and whatever those numbers represent.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mustang posted:

Probably the cop equivalent of a battle roster number, his initials and whatever those numbers represent.

"Callsign: NAZI 39" :tinfoil:

(no, it's not real, but in this day and age it ~could~ be, which is just as upsetting and depressing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Callsigns are usually sorted by divisional areas. First letter can be the region, then second letter is the specific posting. The numbers can also mean something, like using different ranges to determine what role or rank somebody is.