Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Taintrunner posted:

love to listen to obscure African nationalist anthems

*puts on Paul Simon's Graceland*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Africa is a song written in 1982 by Edmund Toto, the revolutionary war hero credited with ending Western colonialism and the unification of Africa.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, stop, stop....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVd6RaJfpkQ

Thread cleanse.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Finicums Wake posted:

is 'dumb' considered ableist now?

any word can be able-ist if you want it to as a weaponization of smug moral superiority

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Goast posted:

outstanding

Gwen is gonna get cancelled by East Africa twitter by conflating Eritreans and Ethiopians.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Do you think Amber feels bad for encouraging Taibbi's meltdown?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Atrocious Joe posted:

The War Nerd guest was really interesting, but I have mixed feelings about the end. Hearing a social democrat say "There's this one weird legal trick to reform the system" sets off alarm bells. I'm really happy about the recent legal wins by native nations. If those treaties really have the potential to challenge the capitalist class though, then the capitalists are going to openly cut up the treaties again.

Basically, we need to give tribal governments nuclear weapons.

can't wait to defect to the NAN

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

lol

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

real conspiracy theorists know that the Intercept is compromised by its Omidyar funding

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Talking is abelist

THS
Sep 15, 2017

im gay

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

looks like taibbi's having quite the day. he's literally that dril tweet about opinions becoming worse the angrier he gets.

what's TJDS?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the jimmy dore show

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
lol

https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1286115274941497346?s=20

https://twitter.com/dril/status/972534838057230336?s=20

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/DrJamesBMD/status/1285390115301285889

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
the good parts of the Bruenigs' podcast is the exploration of Matt's truly unique mind and an hour of him trying to explain why he ironically follows a group of manosphere Romanian sex trafficking guys who make money flipping used furniture on craigslist is top notch that

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

so she's gone from being humorous and funny to laugh at to being a straight up contemptible piece of poo poo

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Talking is abelist

vocal parasites! vocal parasites for everyone!

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Imagine thinking this is what would take down yungchomsky

https://twitter.com/dvorak/status/1286041691015852032?s=20

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Victory Position posted:

so she's gone from being humorous and funny to laugh at to being a straight up contemptible piece of poo poo

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Imagine thinking this is what would take down yungchomsky

https://twitter.com/dvorak/status/1286041691015852032?s=20

lol https://twitter.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1286055955931648000

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Joementum posted:

the good parts of the Bruenigs' podcast is the exploration of Matt's truly unique mind and an hour of him trying to explain why he ironically follows a group of manosphere Romanian sex trafficking guys who make money flipping used furniture on craigslist is top notch that

I think a lot about his take that libertarians aren't autistic enough

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

god drat

it never gets old

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

It doesn't matter at all now, but I remembered that Micheal Brooks had a cough on his show last week and thought to myself "Crap, I hope he doesn't have Covid."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

all right, to begin with, Peter III (and Peter the Great, for that matter) were never considered to be liberal reformers - as far as there has been some treatment of them (and other figures such as Catherine the Great) as enlightened autocrats, they've always been considered autocrats regardless, and it was never thought of that they would lead Russia to a reformed "Westernized" society, often because of the lack of a strong middle-class, or even a strong arisocracy, that could act as a counter-weight to Russian absolutism

you get to Alexander II, and even though he did free the serfs (and however hobbled that act was by class interests), he was never really given due credit for it. At the time he did it, the West was committing genocide in North America, in Africa, and in Oceania, and yet if you mention that Alexander II did not need to fight a civil war in order to enforce emancipation, that's just whataboutism

finally, the reason why Kerensky was "rejected by the Russian peoples" was that he wanted to continue the loving war in the east against the Kaiser. gently caress him.

this poo poo is just historical revisionism where we think that "oh look at all these leaders that the Russians COULD HAVE HAD" without examining the reality that despite the USSR imploding without a military revolt, and despite giving up hundreds of thousands of square miles to birth new nation-states, the West still considers Russia to be a militaristic, expansionist power anyway

I'd call it "incoherent Russophobia", but as a materialist, I also need to point out that this ultimately derives from the collision between expansionist, colonialist designs on Eastern Europe (and the Middle East, and Asia, peripherally) with a country that's large enough to resist it

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

drat guess I better get really into jimmy dore now

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
what the gently caress does jimmy dore even rant about now

i dont know anyone that takes him seriously anymore

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Goast posted:

what the gently caress does jimmy dore even rant about now

i dont know anyone that takes him seriously anymore

his last couple of videos have been about :

* how Democrat policies under Obama paved the way for DHS activities in Portland
* how Pelosi has consistently voted for funding DHS and ICE, even during the Trump administration
* talking about how the Russia-paying-Taliban-for-American-heads story was fake as hell
* talking about how Russia-is-hacking-COVID-19 vaccines is scaremongering
* talking about how Pelosi's husband is investing in hotels that are getting COVID bailout money

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
you know what gently caress it based on those titles that's pretty good

Goast has issued a correction as of 09:20 on Jul 23, 2020

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
i am now the guy that refuses to read or listen to the media i have opinions about

:suicide:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Goast posted:

i am now the guy that refuses to read or listen to the media i have opinions about

:suicide:

That's just your brain defending itself

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

MizPiz posted:

Do you think Amber feels bad for encouraging Taibbi's meltdown?

Amber's a messy bitch, she's here for it.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Goast posted:

you know what gently caress it based on those titles that's pretty good

jimmy dore isnt wrong about most things, hes just dumb as hell

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's just your brain defending itself

can you tell it to stop

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'd recommend Richard Medhurst if you wanna get youtube hot takes that don't quite have the history of someone who want to bat for loving Lava Jato

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUGLgWNMC2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSEnJHQNGsk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKWq_iwkYYA

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

his last couple of videos have been about :

* how Democrat policies under Obama paved the way for DHS activities in Portland
* how Pelosi has consistently voted for funding DHS and ICE, even during the Trump administration
* talking about how the Russia-paying-Taliban-for-American-heads story was fake as hell
* talking about how Russia-is-hacking-COVID-19 vaccines is scaremongering
* talking about how Pelosi's husband is investing in hotels that are getting COVID bailout money

yeah it rules

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Joementum posted:

*puts on Paul Simon's Graceland*

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

i seriously considered tattoing that lacan podcast diagram but this one takes the cake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

bawfuls posted:

I saw Taibbi several years back at some round table discussion/interview live show thing. He talked about how previous generations of journalists came from working class backgrounds, were often unpleasant people or misfits of some kind who didn’t necessarily seek out journalism as a career (ie they’d end up in journalism after failing elsewhere due to traits that ultimately made them good journalists) But over time the social status of the profession grew, perhaps culminating with the Pentagon Papers and Nixon’s resignation. Since that time the profession has transformed into another haven for white collar, college graduate, ladder climbing, prestige-chasing children of the privileged class. He felt this has been an unfortunate development ultimately damaging to the important social function of an adversarial press.

I think Taibbi very much sees himself in the mood of that former type of journalist, or at least that’s what he aspires to be. He has some closely held beliefs about what journalism is supposed to be.

Ironically I think he’d get much closer to his own values by getting off Twitter, getting back out into the street and doing some actual reporting again.

It's true that the profession has become the realm of the elite, especially in recent years. Only the children of the wealthy get into the job through connections or enough familial wealth to cover expenses while working for free. This has very little to do with "cancel culture," however, unless you're doing the thing idiots do and pretending the only racial or "identity" advocacy is perpetrated by liberals.