Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

LadyPictureShow posted:

A friend of my dad's goes by 'Ches', because as the firstborn she was saddled with 'Chesterine'.

I can't decide if that's a nut, a fruit, or a Pratchett-ian colour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giganticon
Mar 10, 2010

Pillbug
I knew a kid growing up named Gibraltar. He went by Jib or Jibby. We made fun of him allot, but now that I'm near 40 I kind of think it's a kick-rear end name and nickname. I'm sorry for making fun of you Jib.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Lady Disdain posted:

I can't decide if that's a nut, a fruit, or a Pratchett-ian colour.

A cross promotional Cheetos-flavored mouthwash from Listerine.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

marshmallow creep posted:

A cross promotional Cheetos-flavored mouthwash from Listerine.

Well, now I'm curious.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
littlejoe
fairdove
count
twylight
miyasheiro
danerys
grey ironside
rell

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Chord Overstreet

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

rodbeard posted:

Chord Overstreet

One letter away from becoming a living legend.

Two, if he's an overachiever.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Ever

e: I was scrolling through a neonazi's facebook page to find posts to report and found this:

rodbeard has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Jul 16, 2020

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

A father/daughter combo, Stoney Drake and Scarlett Drake. I think I killed some of those in Baldur's Gate.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

rodbeard posted:

Ever

e: I was scrolling through a neonazi's facebook page to find posts to report and found this:

fuckin harley jarvis

gently caress YOU HARLEY JARVIS

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I was watching an episode of ULTIMATE TAG the other night and there was a contestant named Juvie, as in jail for kids.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Crincon

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
boy do i have a bunch:
nickhol
semaj-i know this is james backwards, but when did it start becoming a thing?
typheana
unicqual
abony-i know its ebony, but i keep pronouncing it A-boney
sarahyd
churruca
debereau
river jordan
runnie
wardie
frettie
siblings debonair, demington, and stunning
kiss
chiffon
tyambia psygenae
lefter
mccartney-not terrible in the grand scheme of things i suppose
jonhtavis-more the spelling than anything
lucas skywalker-gently caress these parents
maddysen
paisleigh
pumpkin
beautyful
mystikal
jouiquwan
thekkiniyath
omega
shepre
savanha-again, more the spelling. I keep pronouncing it in my head as savan-ha

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

thekkiniyath
:black101:

I can just picture the band logo, white on black evil pointy letters tapering indecipherably into gnarly rootlike splatter over the arch of a grim cathedral door.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Ralph Hurley posted:

thekkiniyath
:black101:

I can just picture the band logo, white on black evil pointy letters tapering indecipherably into gnarly rootlike splatter over the arch of a grim cathedral door.

I was gonna say, what Dragon Shout is that?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Paisleigh

We did it, we've scientifically distilled the most white Midwestern American name possible

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I'm saying this out loud in an obnoxious Connecticut accent and it makes me happy.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

DemonDarkhorse posted:

debonair, demington, and stunning

this is like the world's tackiest law firm

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I'm saying this out loud in an obnoxious Connecticut accent and it makes me happy.

Enlighten me, please. NE accents are either Boston, NYC, or Western NY to my ears.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Having lived in CT for four years I still can’t even begin to picture a Connecticut accent.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

No, I mean like, that Ivy League lockjaw:

"Madison, Biffy, we're flying out to the Cape from Teterborough at fiiiive. Tell Consuela to detail my boat shoes."

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I just finished a 13-hour workday so I might not be making sense I'm sorry please do not change my name to Dick Butkus!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

No, I mean like, that Ivy League lockjaw:

"Madison, Biffy, we're flying out to the Cape from Teterborough at fiiiive. Tell Consuela to detail my boat shoes."

Ohhhh, that's called a mid-atlantic accent and is typically just an acting affectation but it was drilled into some people in New England boarding schools.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Ohhhh, that's called a mid-atlantic accent and is typically just an acting affectation but it was drilled into some people in New England boarding schools.

THAT'S THE WORD THANK YOU

I kept wanting to say "Katherine Hepburn Talking." I'm so tired.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

THAT'S THE WORD THANK YOU

I kept wanting to say "Katherine Hepburn Talking." I'm so tired.

Get some sleep. You gotta wake up and keep the rest of us sane.

No pressure.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

madeintaipei posted:

Get some sleep. You gotta wake up and keep the rest of us sane.

No pressure.

Just meditate upon the beautiful perfection of Obediah Wheatfish. :kimchi:

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Come play, my lord!

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Paisleigh

We did it, we've scientifically distilled the most white Midwestern American name possible

apt, this is wisconsin.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I just finished a 13-hour workday so I might not be making sense I'm sorry please do not change my name to Dick Butkus!

Too late your legal name is now Dick Butkus

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

Too late your legal name is now Dick Butkus

oh wait I have an idea!

"Yes, hello, is this Citibank? I'm Dick Butkus and need you to put all of my football dollars in the account of one Fleta Mcgurn right away!" ... "No, it's like three years o-- uh, I mean, why YES, this IS a new phone number!" "..." "Identification? Uh...I'm Dick Butkus! I do the touchdowns! I'm white probably! Right?" ... "Hello?"

drat.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Atman Binstock

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

I used to think his full name was Dick Butt Kiss because that’s how my friend in second grade said it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I had a housemate named Chiffon for a while.

First names:
Daxly
siblings Kaige and Zaige
Clarizaneth :black101:
Chaise
Phelan
Hatter
Brynx
Hanklee
Kathern (pronounced like Katherine)
Prebble
Kynser
Shirlnita
Jipsy
Misty Dawn
Danial
Baylin
Kaleesi Faith
Xiyan
J'Liyah
Jyrone
Loburta
Luv
Earrita
Raydynn
K'leigh
Peighton
Ilagean
Ellowene
Caelob
Kodiey
Za'quany
Velvet Noel
Starlet
Axxila
La'korion
Maelee
Sharlotte
Honor'lise
Timberly
Knoberly
Paizlee
Labecca

Last names:
Szczys
Fall Leaf
Melting Tallow (this is apparently a First Nations name)
Sidebottom
Laffoon

Full names:
Reid Wine
Gwendolyn Grapes
Faye King
Kitty Hummer
Hudson Miracle

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
A very white girl in my cousin's year 2 class is called Gypsy. I don't think I've ever been as proud of a relative as I was when my aunt loudly, in front of the teacher and Gypsy's mother, told my cousin "I don't care if it's her name. It's a racial slur, and you're not allowed to say it. Either find something else to call her, or don't talk to her."

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Lady Disdain posted:

A very white girl in my cousin's year 2 class is called Gypsy. I don't think I've ever been as proud of a relative as I was when my aunt loudly, in front of the teacher and Gypsy's mother, told my cousin "I don't care if it's her name. It's a racial slur, and you're not allowed to say it. Either find something else to call her, or don't talk to her."

Holy poo poo, amazing.

I'm working on a game right now and my boss is refusing to remove "gypsy" from the script. His justification is "Thimbleweed Park did it!" But I think it's really that he just assumes no one understands the "gypsy problem" outside of Europe.

Thoughts? I have tried to change his mind on this pretty aggressively, but I don't have the penis necessary for him to take my word as final.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Yikes. That sucks, and I'm sorry. No suggestions, though, I'm afraid.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

But I think it's really that he just assumes no one understands the "gypsy problem" outside of Europe.

This has come up in a bunch of threads here over the years, but the above thought is basically accurate. Gypsy may be viewed as a racial slur in Europe, but it definitely is not in the U.S. where the majority of people have never even heard the term “Romani”. Most people here associate it with a Fleetwood Mac song or a general style of headscarves and flowing clothing and whatnot, with the racial element being almost completely nonexistent.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah it's like how 'spaz' reads as horribly offensive in the UK but, at least until recently, Americans think nothing of it. Just one of those things. Sorry you're dealing with that, Fleta.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

fartknocker posted:

This has come up in a bunch of threads here over the years, but the above thought is basically accurate. Gypsy may be viewed as a racial slur in Europe, but it definitely is not in the U.S. where the majority of people have never even heard the term “Romani”. Most people here associate it with a Fleetwood Mac song or a general style of headscarves and flowing clothing and whatnot, with the racial element being almost completely nonexistent.

She meant it the other way around lol

Gypsy is an English word. Most people in most European countries don't speak English. The many local equivalents may or may not be viewed as derogatory depending on country and context, quite a few Europeans have in fact never heard of the term Roma(ni), and in that sense it actually is similar to the US. This discussion comes up from time to time, the last time it did I googled the term 'zigeuner' and was somewhat surprised that it is apparently considered inappropriate these days.

Regardless, I am not overly impressed with the story of the aunt bravely standing up to a teacher who dared refer to a two-year-old by their given name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I had a housemate named Chiffon for a while.

First names:
Daxly
siblings Kaige and Zaige
Clarizaneth :black101:
Chaise
Phelan
Hatter
Brynx
Hanklee
Kathern (pronounced like Katherine)
Prebble
Kynser
Shirlnita
Jipsy
Misty Dawn
Danial
Baylin
Kaleesi Faith
Xiyan
J'Liyah
Jyrone
Loburta
Luv
Earrita
Raydynn
K'leigh
Peighton
Ilagean
Ellowene
Caelob
Kodiey
Za'quany
Velvet Noel
Starlet
Axxila
La'korion
Maelee
Sharlotte
Honor'lise
Timberly
Knoberly
Paizlee
Labecca

Last names:
Szczys
Fall Leaf
Melting Tallow (this is apparently a First Nations name)
Sidebottom
Laffoon

Full names:
Reid Wine
Gwendolyn Grapes
Faye King
Kitty Hummer
Hudson Miracle

Most of these sound like they came straight from the fat-addled mind of George Lucas