Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Dynamite is looking to lose the James Bond license because of this, so I hope Comicsgate can bring in the same money! (They can't)

https://twitter.com/AGramuglia/status/1286038041224785922?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
LOL at being too misogynsitic to hold on to the James Bond license.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I've somehow remained blissfully aware of what Comicsgate even is.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well there's 200 pages of it here to catch up on it

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Entropic posted:

TLDR: It's a spinoff of the "gamergate" crowd which means it's a collection of predominantly young-ish (but old enough to know better) mostly white men who were "let down" by (and generally coasted through) the "No Child Left Behind" era American school system; who had parents who never forced them to apply themselves to anything; bought into the myth of American exceptionalism; or who otherwise managed to make it through their formative years without ever having held themselves responsible for any of their own choices. This left the vast majority of them unprepared for their post-school careers not instantly turning them into celebrity millionaires.

Generally they're (loudly) attempting to take out their late-stage capitalism-fueled frustrations about their own inadequacies out on creators who are not themselves white men because they aren't willing to accept that those creators have succeeded in their personal "dream field(s)" by working harder than they have.

Comicsgate as a culture undervalues hard work (and sees laziness as something to aspire to) which is one of the reasons why nearly every comicsgater that has achieved any sort of prominence within their community has immediately used that to start fleecing their followers for easy money.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 22, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

E the Shaggy posted:

Dynamite is looking to lose the James Bond license because of this, so I hope Comicsgate can bring in the same money! (They can't)

https://twitter.com/AGramuglia/status/1286038041224785922?s=20

Hope they keep being able to sell the Warren Ellis collections!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dark lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

Hope they keep being able to sell the Warren Ellis collections!

Did Warren Ellis write Bond comics? A month ago I would have been super excited to track that down.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

He wrote a bunch based on the novels.

https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewProduct.html?PRO=C1524115045

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

FMguru posted:

LOL at being too misogynsitic to hold on to the James Bond license.

That's always been a big part of it, the comics gate types don't actually read comics, let alone buy them; they're just here to harass women and minorities on twitter

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Retro Futurist posted:

That's always been a big part of it, the comics gate types don't actually read comics, let alone buy them; they're just here to harass women and minorities on twitter

It's true. As Dynamite has shown, courting them is useless because they don't actually want to read Red Sonja or Vampirella on a regular basis, they want to throw outrage dollars at EVS or Mike Miller or whomever and brag about it on Twitter. The closest they get is watching Dickie mumble his way through another of his pull lists and then violently tear up a four dollar comic because he doesn't find Psylocke in that issue desirable enough to sleep with.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Entropic posted:

my friend it is 2020, you can safely assume anything [thing]gate exists and is a bunch of chuds angry that [thing] doesn't pander exclusively to them any more

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Comicsgate manages to be even more nakedly bigoted than gamergate since it doesn't even have a figleaf of concerns about ethics to hide behind.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

Are you sure? I've looked at a bunch of CG people and they all seem to buy comics, not sure that there are enough of them to hurt a company if they stop buying that company's comics though. Related to that I ended up watching a video by someone complaining about the New Warriors characters and she said that if Marvel was going to release a comic like that then she was just going to stop buying comics, to stop buying New Warrior comics but all comics. How you can say that and then say you don't want politics in comics I don't know.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Comicsgate manages to be even more nakedly bigoted than gamergate since it doesn't even have a figleaf of concerns about ethics to hide behind.
Gamergate has literally never been about ethics

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Threep posted:

Gamergate has literally never been about ethics

Yes, I know.

My point is that Gamergate tried ever-so-slightly to hide their bigotry while Comicsgate doesn't even do that. There's no equivalent of "ethics in games journalism".

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

edit: see above, that’s what I get for posting while verbose!

I don’t think they were saying GG was about ethics. They were using “figleaf” as a metaphor to say that despite all of GGs claims to be about ethics, their position is nakedly about being abusive bigots who believe they should have the power to flop their flaccid, unwashed privates to the world without consequence. They want women, PoC (especially Black people in the US), and LGBTQ+ folks to be silent and thankful when they slap people in the face with their metaphorical (and given MeToo, at times literal) dicks.

My biggest mistake was not posting this early and often when GG was new and this site forbid its discussion.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

E the Shaggy posted:

Is this a big deal though? I'm pretty sure that most people doesn't even know that James Bond comics are a thing.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

bessantj posted:

Are you sure? I've looked at a bunch of CG people and they all seem to buy comics, not sure that there are enough of them to hurt a company if they stop buying that company's comics though. Related to that I ended up watching a video by someone complaining about the New Warriors characters and she said that if Marvel was going to release a comic like that then she was just going to stop buying comics, to stop buying New Warrior comics but all comics. How you can say that and then say you don't want politics in comics I don't know.

They buy Comicsgate comics not because they're good, but because it's to "own the libz". There are constant reports of how lovely some of these comics are, with glaring printing errors and the like but they keep pumping money into them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Comicsgates people, with very very very few exceptions show a *staggering* lack of knowledge about comics. Like less than I would expect a casual fan to have.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My favourite is when these "comic readers" show their arses by telling the people that write and draw comics that they know nothing about the characters they are writing and drawing about.
I am pretty sure some idiot called out Paul Dini about knowing nothing about Harley Quinn.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Was it some gater with the funny “If you haven’t heard of Harley Quinn before the animated series”?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Comicsgates people, with very very very few exceptions show a *staggering* lack of knowledge about comics. Like less than I would expect a casual fan to have.

I think a casual fan of comics has basically zero knowledge of comics outside of whatever they read.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Was it some gater with the funny “If you haven’t heard of Harley Quinn before the animated series”?

Possibly but I had a dude like that as a regular customer.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It was. I might not have been a gator but it was definitely one of those people who think they know way more about something than the people they are talking to. There is a probably a large overlap on a Venn Diagram.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm sure it's happened more than once but this was going around earlier this month

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

My favourite is when these "comic readers" show their arses by telling the people that write and draw comics that they know nothing about the characters they are writing and drawing about.
I am pretty sure some idiot called out Paul Dini about knowing nothing about Harley Quinn.

They tried to call out Gail Simone for not knowing Deadpool.

And don't forget that CG mostly started over a posted picture of Marvel's editorial staff going out for a milkshake in celebration of Flo Steinberg. Dickie Meyers might be the most un-charismatic dope I've ever seen to rally around.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

They tried to call out Gail Simone for not knowing Deadpool.

She shared this yesterday:
https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1285961548167442435?s=20

I remember that Punisher tweet going around. :allears:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Uthor posted:

On some level I feel I should be surprised people leap for such low-hanging fruit unironically, but then I remember One Angry Gamer's infamous 'enemies of free whatever' list and people would keep tweeting at him 'hey, thanks for letting me know who to support!' and he genuinely seemed super verklempt that people thought that should be their takeaway. They're just none too bright on the whole.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

On some level I feel I should be surprised people leap for such low-hanging fruit unironically, but then I remember One Angry Gamer's infamous 'enemies of free whatever' list and people would keep tweeting at him 'hey, thanks for letting me know who to support!' and he genuinely seemed super verklempt that people thought that should be their takeaway. They're just none too bright on the whole.

I remember Microsft, Google and Apple were all on their so I wondered he did all his tweeting from a Nintendo 3ds or something.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Jordan7hm posted:

I think a casual fan of comics has basically zero knowledge of comics outside of whatever they read.

Remember the 'fans' who were upset at Constantine being bi?

That was funny.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I mean one of their primary complaints is "comics are too political now" which is laughable to anyone aware of the popular hero Captain America

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

ImpAtom posted:

I mean one of their primary complaints is "comics are too political now" which is laughable to anyone aware of the popular hero Captain America

"But I don't mean THAT kind of politics..."

"That's not politics!!"

It's some replies I swear I've seen in the wild when someone brings up stuff like Captain America kicking Hitler's rear end. Their brains always turn in to mighty pretzels.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Politics are things that I don't agree with

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Internet Wizard posted:

Politics are things that I don't agree with

It's exactly this.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The things I agree with aren't politics, they're just simple common sense.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

ImpAtom posted:

The best part is that, when given the opportunity to write their own comics, they write things like GOD-KING TRUMP'S HOLY REPUBLIVENGERS VS THE DEMONRAT MENACE

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

These guys sound a lot like they're being fin-dommed by EVS and - mostly EVS at this point.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Darth Nat posted:

The best part is that, when given the opportunity to write their own comics, they write things like GOD-KING TRUMP'S HOLY REPUBLIVENGERS VS THE DEMONRAT MENACE
This plus the 2nd grader-level names they give people.

"A RADIOACTIVE YARMULKA GAVE BEN AND ABBY SHAPIRO MYSTERIOUS POWERS. NOW THEY BATTLE ONLINE TROLLS AS SHAPE*HERO AND JEWESS!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Uthor posted:

She shared this yesterday:
https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1285961548167442435?s=20

@Marvel let me write "Punisher Murder Annual #3"