Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Rob Rockley posted:

San Diego incidentally but there's a lifetimes worth of hiking in the area and it's all within a few hours drive. I get why there's permits and would not prefer the alternative. I carry a trash bag with me every time I hike and most times I use it. But it is a barrier to entry for those of us that are interested but don't know where to start. There's lots of resources for big trails and peaks and lots of discussion about gear and the details of actually of hiking, but not dispersed camping or the like. It would be extremely helpful discussion especially since we have a revitalized outdoors subforum everyone's looking at now.

To bring it back to gear chat re. the clothing stuff, I also forgot about this post which was linked in the OP. FWIW I wear a long sleeved poly fishing shirt and running shorts and only put on a lightweight fleece when it's near freezing, but of course when stopped or camping you'll need at least that. A Frogg Togg jacket serves as my windbreaker/rain jacket obviously doesn't usually get packed when I hike locally. Morbus' suggestion re. alpine hiking is probably better because you have extra layers if it gets really cold and can go as light or as warm as needed.

e:

Forgot about this thread, thanks. Its a good thread.

I am far from an expert at dispersed camping but here are my recommendations:
-get on CalTopo / similar and figure out where the USFS / BLM land you want to visit is, and what forest it is.
-go look up the forest on the USFS website and find out if there are any more strict rules on dispersed camping
-find the motor vehicle use map for the area. It should show which roads have dispersed camping allowed on them
-look at the satellite view and topo and see if there’s obvious pulloffs where people are camping (if not you still could be ok)
-if you have a road that looks favorable, just go and be optimistic that you’ll find something! You probably will.
-keep an eye out when driving to trailheads to day hike for good dispersed spots, where other people are doing it, etc. Then go look at the above resources for that area. Just to help match the map with the territory as it were.

This is what works for me in Washington and Colorado including some pretty popular places (enchantments adjacent, i70 adjacent, etc.). I bet it’ll do ok in Cali too but have never camped there myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Anachronist posted:

I am far from an expert at dispersed camping but here are my recommendations:
-get on CalTopo / similar and figure out where the USFS / BLM land you want to visit is, and what forest it is.
-go look up the forest on the USFS website and find out if there are any more strict rules on dispersed camping
-find the motor vehicle use map for the area. It should show which roads have dispersed camping allowed on them
-look at the satellite view and topo and see if there’s obvious pulloffs where people are camping (if not you still could be ok)
-if you have a road that looks favorable, just go and be optimistic that you’ll find something! You probably will.
-keep an eye out when driving to trailheads to day hike for good dispersed spots, where other people are doing it, etc. Then go look at the above resources for that area. Just to help match the map with the territory as it were.

This is what works for me in Washington and Colorado including some pretty popular places (enchantments adjacent, i70 adjacent, etc.). I bet it’ll do ok in Cali too but have never camped there myself.

Onx maps layers almost all this info in one app and makes finding spots pretty straight forward.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Honestly out here in Washington, I usually go up to the mountains probably weekly. Sometimes my buddies and I just go to explore forest roads in a given area to get a feel for it and find cool places for the future.

You can usually see pull off spots where people have called before. Sometimes there isn't a pull in so you have to park in the side of the road. I get a little weary if I see too many shell casings meaning it's a place that gets frequent traffic especially by shooters, or something that's significantly improved because maybe it's private property but those are almost always signed or gated.

My ideal car camping is all about solitude. I want to be with my friends and that's it. No RV or generator noise. No rowdy college kids unless we brought them. If it means driving an extra hour, I'll do it. I will enjoy my trip significantly more.

Having a vehicle with high clearance and/or four wheel drive will open more things up to you and prevent 50% of everybody else from getting there.

When I look for new camping sites I have a few things I consider.

- proximity to town, the closer to town, the more likely it's a popular spot that might be taken when you want to use it. If it's easy to find and close to town, it probably gets used a lot

- proximity to trailheads and recreation areas like national parks etc, national parks are backcountry cities that attract large populations. Those people spread out and the surrounding areas get crowded. Lesser touristy places like state forests, national forests, wilderness areas, blm land are usually less densely populated than national parks and fun to explore. If you're near a popular trailhead, people might camp nearby before, during or after their trip.

- proximity to water, everybody wants a picturesque lake/riverside camp site that they can drive right up to. There's not a lot of those available. Water is fun so people tend to flock to it. Hiking even just a few hundred feet into a site can get you a lot of solitude that people don't want to work for. Humans are incredibly lazy and want to back up their vehicle right to the camp fire if at all possible.

- ease of getting there, the more difficult it is to get there (rough roads, likelihood of obstacles, long distance on dirt roads, complexity of directions) the less likely someone will be out there. If I have to put my 4 runner in 4wd, hop a downed tree, remove a fallen tree, or straddle a deep washout ... Those are all good signs for me. I keep an axe, recovery gear, shovel, tire chains etc in my vehicle at all times. This can easily cross into overlanding

- getting off the beaten trail, even in the woods, a certain forest road might be the Backcountry equivalent of the highway because it's the only road that loops back to the highway or to another point of interest. Look for some pull offs to see where they go. You can usually find good camping at dead ends in logging roads. Gps and a map are always a good idea. Forest roads can be a labyrinth and it's easy to get lost.

-views/scenery, if some place is attractive to you because of the scenery/surroundings, it's probably attracting others too. Rather than trying to camp near a popular overlook or natural feature, maybe look further out.

- if you've found a good spot, take a look around before setting up camp. Shotgun shells, broken glass or bullet casings? Trash? Dirtbike/quad/orv tracks running right through where you're thinking? Is there an existing fire pit? Hanging deadfall overhead from trees? A flat spot that looks ideal for a tent?

Always pay attention to the area you're in and carry the appropriate passes. In Washington, a discover pass ($30) covers state land and the America the beautiful ($80) covers federal land & national parks. I've never been anywhere that either of those passes don't cover. $130/year seems pricey but considering how much it gets used and how much it costs to get into a national park, they pay for themselves.

Most of the best dispersed car camping I've done hasn't been by recommendation of a book or website, but from exploring first hand. If I come across an interesting spot, I mark it on a Google map for future use. I describe the spot and save it. "Big site, multiple cars, existing fire pit, good views, very rough road, no water"

Also this is huge. Check gates for signage before driving through them. If you drive through a gate, it can get closed and locked behind you and there may not be a way out. They might have a sign on them, and if the gate is open the sign might be in the trees. Even if there's a number to call, chances are you won't have cell reception. Your only option of not spending the night in your car is driving for an unknown amount of time in the opposite direction hoping it leads out somewhere which it may not. Ask me how I know.

Once you've found a spot, enjoy it. Be respectful of the area and for the love of God clean up when you leave. Even if that's not your American flag Budweiser can, pick it up anyway. My goal is to always make the area better than when I left. Improve the fire pit if needed. Look for no trespassing signs. Check your app if you have it

If rangers or DNR contact you, be honest and respectful. They're usually just trying to stop people from being idiots by shooting off fireworks in dry conditions, poaching or shooting across roads etc. If they ask you to move or tell you that you're somewhere you shouldn't be, kindly pack up and move. The more you protest the less they'll try to help you. Most DNR/rangers I've encountered have been super cool and like talking with people who also love the outdoors once they establish you're not a child rapist poacher meth lab.

If someone else approaches you and tells you to leave, that is a more difficult decision. If you're not on their property, know you're good, and they aren't law enforcement, you should be fine but it may not be worth staying if this person is going to continue being a problem or they make you uncomfortable.

Wow, that turned into an effort post quickly. Hope that helps.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Thanks guys! Yeah the more I'm thinking about it, layering is the best bet for starting off with trekking. So if I go base layer + fleece + down/insulated vest + rain jacket I have the most flexibility, ie. only wearing a base layer with the rain jacket for a summer downpour. I'll always be able to grab a softshell later for biking or skiing or if I trek in colder climates.

What's a good recommendation for a rain jacket? Main criteria is having something light & packable, breathability would be a plus. Looking at reviews online I've seen a lot of love for Arcteryx and Patagonia, I've had good experiences with both but the prices are pretty steep and there are tons of jacket models, so I'm having a hard time deciding :v:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Let's go camping friend.

I'm not a fan that we piled on what was a backpacking specific gear thread and agree a car camping type thread would be good. Although I think glamping, overlanding, and car camping are all distinctly different activities, it's probably best to combine them until there's enough traffic for disparate threads. Most of my outdoor living is a combo of car camping or overlanding. I don't really identify as a glamper, but I might be, regardless, I'm happy to work with somebody else putting together a megathread.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

highme posted:

Let's go camping friend.

Always up for a trip. Currently I'm trying to keep my social bubble to the few people I've been hanging out with from the start but definitely once things loosen up.

As far as overlanding, that's one of those that might have some crossover with AI but I haven't browsed the threads in there in a long time and the poo poo I do is barely overlanding. A car camping there's could be a good idea.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rob Rockley posted:

San Diego incidentally but there's a lifetimes worth of hiking in the area and it's all within a few hours drive. I get why there's permits and would not prefer the alternative. I carry a trash bag with me every time I hike and most times I use it. But it is a barrier to entry for those of us that are interested but don't know where to start. There's lots of resources for big trails and peaks and lots of discussion about gear and the details of actually of hiking, but not dispersed camping or the like. It would be extremely helpful discussion especially since we have a revitalized outdoors subforum everyone's looking at now.

Ah, just curious. I live in orange county and I love desert camping but joshua tree is so far. I haven't ever been to anza borrego which is more your corner of the state, except for watching the superbloom. I figure I need an all-wheel-drive to camp anywhere nice.

Anyways, I bought a bunch of camping gear earlier this year including a cool propane stove and now I have to find someplace to use it that's not flammable. Jetboils are nice but it doesn't give the same feeling that I had in scouts when we used propane stoves.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Verman posted:

- getting off the beaten trail, even in the woods, a certain forest road might be the Backcountry equivalent of the highway because it's the only road that loops back to the highway or to another point of interest. Look for some pull offs to see where they go. You can usually find good camping at dead ends in logging roads. Gps and a map are always a good idea. Forest roads can be a labyrinth and it's easy to get lost.

Just a tip for anyone who wants to use a map. See if you can also score a compass (preferably a real one with a mirror) so that you can use the local geography to locate yourself. On the other hand, a lot of phones have a built in compass that would probably work in a pinch.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

What is the thread's opinion on renewing the waterproofing and weather sealing on tents? I have a REI Arete ASL 4-season tent that has had some use but I recently had to clear out all the polyurethane flakes and now I'm not confident enough to take it snow camping.

REI actually has some tips about this: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/how-to-waterproof-a-tent.html

However, I'd like to know what y'all do. Is it worth it to go through the above process? Or is it better to just get a new tent? Or do you have repair places that can do it for a reasonable fee?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've been all over meetup.com for just about anything I'm interested in and have had zero luck finding a group of people in my area that aren't over 50.

I don't work or go to school so I have no way of meeting people near me.

I'm north of you, but my summer camping involves going North. I'll watch the weather on the Lake Superior shore and when it looks like a tolerable weekend, I go. Find a camping place within a mile or two of the big lake, whammo it's only 65f. You've got from Ashland to Hurley, not to mention the entire North Shore in Minnesota and the UP. If you're in Kenosha or something it's going to be a long drive, but it's coming up on some awesome camping weather in a few weeks. Recreation.gov is a good planning spot for federal stuff.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Verman posted:

Camping advice

This is a really good post and should be a part of any OP in a new thread.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

starbucks hermit posted:

Ah, just curious. I live in orange county and I love desert camping but joshua tree is so far. I haven't ever been to anza borrego which is more your corner of the state, except for watching the superbloom. I figure I need an all-wheel-drive to camp anywhere nice.

Anyways, I bought a bunch of camping gear earlier this year including a cool propane stove and now I have to find someplace to use it that's not flammable. Jetboils are nice but it doesn't give the same feeling that I had in scouts when we used propane stoves.

I also live in Orange County, and Joshua Tree is only 2.5 to 3 hours away. Admittedly 5 if it's Friday afternoon on the 91.

Anza Borrego also in the 2.5 to 3 hour range.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 23, 2020

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Having Joshua Tree in my backyard was the only good part of being in 29 Palms.

It's really beautiful and different compared to a lot of National Parks and you should all check it out!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Joshua Tree is full of hipsters though.

highme
May 25, 2001

Verman posted:

Always up for a trip. Currently I'm trying to keep my social bubble to the few people I've been hanging out with from the start but definitely once things loosen up.

As far as overlanding, that's one of those that might have some crossover with AI but I haven't browsed the threads in there in a long time and the poo poo I do is barely overlanding. A car camping there's could be a good idea.

Yeah, my current camping is either solo or with one friend. I opted out of the Gambler500 this year and just went to sleep in the woods by myself. The only AI thread I pay attention to any more is the 4x4 thread. TGO mods came through to see if they were interested in moving here too, but I don't think it did.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FogHelmut posted:

I also live in Orange County, and Joshua Tree is only 2.5 to 3 hours away. Admittedly 5 if it's Friday afternoon on the 91.

Anza Borrego also in the 2.5 to 3 hour range.

:colbert: ok you got me but I still want to go to anza borrego

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Dangerllama posted:

This is a really good post and should be a part of any OP in a new thread.

Agreed! Jaded and Jeffrey helped unlock a PYF favorite places to camp thread I started awhile back, so I went ahead and copied into the OP:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818236&perpage=40

If that’s not quite what y’all are looking for lemme know :)

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Chikimiki posted:

What's a good recommendation for a rain jacket? Main criteria is having something light & packable, breathability would be a plus. Looking at reviews online I've seen a lot of love for Arcteryx and Patagonia, I've had good experiences with both but the prices are pretty steep and there are tons of jacket models, so I'm having a hard time deciding :v:

Columbia is good enough for me. I think I have a Watertight II which has lasted 5-6 years so far with no visible wear. Kept me dry rain camping too. It packs into it's own pocket down to medium burrito size but it's not ultralight or anything. It's probably due for it's first nikwax before next rainy season.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
For a cheap rain jacket, a lot of people suggest the marmot precip. Its typically between $50 and $100 and a solid performer.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013

Verman posted:

For a cheap rain jacket, a lot of people suggest the marmot precip. Its typically between $50 and $100 and a solid performer.

Yeah, I'd second that, I have had one for three years or so and it does the job. It has armpit zippers, which are great for ventilation.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
Almost done assembling a basic set of backpacking gear after a lifetime of car camping and day hikes only, and this thread has been a huge help.
Having trouble finding a basic cookpot/two person mess kit that isn't expensive or come with a stove. Any recommendations? Just need a boiling pot and a couple bowls and mugs that stack compactly.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Zohn posted:

Almost done assembling a basic set of backpacking gear after a lifetime of car camping and day hikes only, and this thread has been a huge help.
Having trouble finding a basic cookpot/two person mess kit that isn't expensive or come with a stove. Any recommendations? Just need a boiling pot and a couple bowls and mugs that stack compactly.

I've got that from REI and like it. The spoons suck though. I've got the Sea to Summit spoon now and it's much nicer.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Zohn posted:

This Olicamp XTS Pots and my Ion Stove have been my go-to kit for a few years now.

The stove is good, basically the same thing as the newer smaller msr pocket rocket, but that pot is just awesome. The silicone lid snaps on so you can pack crushable stuff or a fuel canister (and lighter/stove) inside and it won’t rattle around. The heat exchanger fins not only make it super efficient and fast, they act as a built in windscreen for the stove, and the silicon coated handles are sturdy and snap into place nicely. I’ve even stopped bringing a pan handler because they work so drat well. I’ve had snowpeak titanium pots, toaks titanium pots, etc, and this thing handily beats anything else I’ve tried—Seriously one of my favorite pieces of kit. Oh, and it has measurement marks inside which are super handy. 1L is a great size for one person or two.

I also have a toaks titanium mug I toss in my food bag. I usually cram an apple or something crushable inside that too. I have a snowpeak insulated titanium mug, but I just love the simplicity of the single wall. That plus a polished long handle spoon are all I bring anymore.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Flatland Crusoe posted:

Yeah I’ve been going DIY public land backpack hunting for half a decade now out west. I’m just trying to find a more comfortable option than a Big Agnes Slater UL1 and Exo 3500 to live out of during the October and November seasons when we are moving around and hiking in 1-2 miles for a day hunts. Depending on what state and unit I draw we might backpack 7 miles into the wilderness, rent a cabin if available or live out of tents. It’s so dependent on the unit, season and if we are doing elk, mule deer or antelope and how the unit lays out.

There are so many traps I’m trying to avoid while trying to get a more comfortable camp. Requiring an enclosed trailer and an F250 just to get out there is chief among them. I’m just trying to be comfortable enough to not need a mid hunt hotel room when we aren’t in the hardcore backcountry. Lots of good/drawable units have roads every 2-4 miles and don’t reward being fix or just living in the backcountry.

So this is from a ways back but have you ever looked into Arctic Oven tents?

I used them fairly often with friends when I lived in Alaska, and just now bought their small Pipeline tent. With my Winnerwell stove and packaging and everything else its about 60 pounds and packs down small enough that I could check it on an airplane. I went this route because it seemed to split the difference between the huge canvas tents and the backpacker tents. Might still be to big for you but its at least another option.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So this is from a ways back but have you ever looked into Arctic Oven tents?

I used them fairly often with friends when I lived in Alaska, and just now bought their small Pipeline tent. With my Winnerwell stove and packaging and everything else its about 60 pounds and packs down small enough that I could check it on an airplane. I went this route because it seemed to split the difference between the huge canvas tents and the backpacker tents. Might still be to big for you but its at least another option.

That’s definitely much closer to what I would like. I was vaguely aware of the brand in the past but hadn’t looked hard at their range either.

Stone Glacier has an awesome hot tent offering that would work but it’s like $2500 https://www.stoneglacier.com/pages/tents

My hurdle is this trip I’m buying the tent for is potentially the worse weather conditions I’ll see for a while on trips. I’m weighing whether or not I’m going full 4 season over kill for more money and potentially less future utility under more moderate conditions.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

I've been all over meetup.com for just about anything I'm interested in and have had zero luck finding a group of people in my area that aren't over 50.

I don't work or go to school so I have no way of meeting people near me.

Hang out with the old farts.

I cycle every Saturday with a bunch of really cool people my parent's age. They are pretty quick. Quick enough to keep things fun for me, but slow enough I get to show off a bit.
I joined up with them sight unseen because the other groups start too late (imo) to do a 6hr ride with significant elevation gain in 90 degree temps. I was a bit shocked at the ages and thought it would be a one time thing, but they rock. If I'm remotely that cool and fit in 20-30 years I'll be very happy

Edit: you were also asking about camping when it's hot. Camp on the water. You've got a kayak!
I did a 4 night trip last month through a really nasty heatwave and we were comfortable the whole time because we camped on an island that was fairly wind exposed but still offered a bit of shade. Whenever it gets a bit hot, take a dip.
The problem with summer camping is not the heat.. it's the skeeters!

Math You fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 24, 2020

highme
May 25, 2001

My dad turns 70 tomorrow and is still putting a 200-300 miles a week in on his bike.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

what do you guys do when camping in those stove heated tents? try not to freeze? hunt polar bears?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yooper posted:

I'm north of you, but my summer camping involves going North. I'll watch the weather on the Lake Superior shore and when it looks like a tolerable weekend, I go. Find a camping place within a mile or two of the big lake, whammo it's only 65f. You've got from Ashland to Hurley, not to mention the entire North Shore in Minnesota and the UP. If you're in Kenosha or something it's going to be a long drive, but it's coming up on some awesome camping weather in a few weeks. Recreation.gov is a good planning spot for federal stuff.

I'm in Kenosha. :suicide:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kenosha is closer than where I'm at!

(Wheaton, down in Illinois)

From the last week of September to the last week of October I drive up every weekend into Wisconsin for the fall color. Those first couple weeks are brutal because it's the north shore or Ashland. After that it's more reasonable (Lakewood or the driftless) but it still racks up a lot of miles in a really short amount of time.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Math You posted:

Hang out with the old farts.

I cycle every Saturday with a bunch of really cool people my parent's age. They are pretty quick. Quick enough to keep things fun for me, but slow enough I get to show off a bit.
I joined up with them sight unseen because the other groups start too late (imo) to do a 6hr ride with significant elevation gain in 90 degree temps. I was a bit shocked at the ages and thought it would be a one time thing, but they rock. If I'm remotely that cool and fit in 20-30 years I'll be very happy

Cycling has a huge void of participation between Juniors and Masters riders/racers. I spent most of my 20’s and early 30’s biking and racing a lot and there is a huge void of 25-45 year olds in lots of areas. Those few that are doing it are racing 30 weeks a year. If you don’t want to go balls deep into racing the local old guys are worth riding with.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
Anyone have experience using a different bag/bottle with the Katadyn BeFree filters? I just had my second bag in a row develop a pinhole leak right in the middle and kind of sick of dealing with it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cnoc makes a version of the Vecto with BeFree threads now and those things are indestructible

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Cnoc makes a version of the Vecto with BeFree threads now and those things are indestructible

BeFree definitely sounds like one of those women's urine funnels

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you guys have any Garmin gear that suddenly stopped working, it may be down for a bit

https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/1287058140110958597?s=21

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So I've been thinking. All I do is car camping (so far, I REALLY want to backpack) but all I have is backpacking gear. Every time I camp I say it's to "test" out the backpacking gear that I never use for backpacking. I think it's time I buy stuff to camp in the most comfortable way I can. That'll get me outside more.

I think I'm really going to have to add to my inventory. Which unfortunately I love buying gear. I'm not sure exactly what I need but here's what I'm thinking so far.

Bigger tent
Bigger sleeping pad/blanket/something to lay on
Maybe a small table
Possibly a nice mess kit that I can clean easy. I have a small one that looks like a triangle and has a spork but a slightly bigger one would be nicer
I have a small cooking kit with what I think is a titanium nonstick pot but maybe I could use a pan to make eggs or something
Not sure what else

I need to take inventory of what I have and will need and whatever I can do to make camping more comfortable. I'm sure my nephew would enjoy it a whole lot more than using my MSR pocket rocket just to boil water for every meal. I have a small two burner propane stove.

For those of you that car camp, what are the things you bring for comfort or to make it more fun?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I have a travel set of kitchen gear I use for car camping as well as for general travel if I'm staying in a place with a kitchen.

https://www.amazon.com/Delicacy-Cookware-Utensils-Organizer-Resistant/dp/B07DXRWGCS/ref=mp_s_a_1_16

Not this exact set but close enough. I've added some salt, spices and cooking oil to it and sharpened the knives. I originally just got it for camping but I liked it so much that I started taking it with me to air bnbs and such since they have garbage kitchen tools most of the time.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

So I've been thinking. All I do is car camping (so far, I REALLY want to backpack) but all I have is backpacking gear. Every time I camp I say it's to "test" out the backpacking gear that I never use for backpacking. I think it's time I buy stuff to camp in the most comfortable way I can. That'll get me outside more.

I think I'm really going to have to add to my inventory. Which unfortunately I love buying gear. I'm not sure exactly what I need but here's what I'm thinking so far.

Bigger tent
Bigger sleeping pad/blanket/something to lay on
Maybe a small table
Possibly a nice mess kit that I can clean easy. I have a small one that looks like a triangle and has a spork but a slightly bigger one would be nicer
I have a small cooking kit with what I think is a titanium nonstick pot but maybe I could use a pan to make eggs or something
Not sure what else

I need to take inventory of what I have and will need and whatever I can do to make camping more comfortable. I'm sure my nephew would enjoy it a whole lot more than using my MSR pocket rocket just to boil water for every meal. I have a small two burner propane stove.

For those of you that car camp, what are the things you bring for comfort or to make it more fun?

My goal is to get all my poo poo to fit inside of a large plastic tote. I like a clear sided one.

I'm running a GSI cookset on a 2 burner propane stove. French Press always comes but I usually prefer to use instant coffee. The white tub is for dishes and makes clean up easy. I have a small collapsible table that fits on top of the tote. The only things I don't have in the tote are sleeping bags (cots are packed on top of the tote), food, and cold stuff. My main cooler seems to have disappeared so I'm in between. This has been good as it prevents me from bringing a bunch of dumb poo poo. I also have a large gently caress off Clam screen tent I bring out in nasty bug season.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

There's no shame in enjoying car camping. You can make it more luxurious than backpacking and enjoy what you're eating. Some people like simplicity but others enjoy creature comforts.

Shelter
A bigger tent might help for comfort but you only really sleep in it so it's up to you if that's a worthy investment. A thicker sir pad can make sleeping more comfortable especially since you can bring a powered pump versus using your lungs. I've found tents that go up easy (clip types vs pole through fabric sleeves) are more enjoyable to use if it takes more than ten minutes, it's frustrating and isn't as enjoyable to use. Something that I really like are those pop up canopies, some have screen mesh to keep out bugs. They make great sun covers, a place to cook, a refuge from bugs if they're bad. If it's raining, they're large enough to stand in or sit several people. I don't have one yet but might pick one up at some point, especially handy for dirt biking to get out of the sun. I usually pack a tarp as well because I've had to make a rain shelter in the past to still be able to sit around the fire but not get soaked in the rain or snow.

Food
This is the biggie. You can bring better food. Get a decent sized cooler and get shelf inside it to keep food above the water. For cooking, look at a small frying pan or two and a Coleman propane stove, or a folding metal fire grate. Paper or plastic plates, a few sets of cutlery. A small collapsible or plastic tub for washing dishes. I swear by camping irons for fun camping specific foods. Every time I've used them, friends go out and get some. Put two pieces of white bread into heavily buttered irons, fill with blueberry pie filling and marshmallow, cook to crispy and enjoy. You'll need some small stuff like oil, salt pepper, hot sauce, butter etc for various meals. A sharp knife for chopping etc. A room if trash bags because they're always handy. The other thing to me is having water. Either one of those big reusable water jugs or hang a water bag with a hose. You go through lots of water. A small table is really nice to have if you don't have a picnic table at your camp site. Some companies name y the filing camp kitchen tables or you can get a small plastic or aluminum folding table for cheap. I store my stuff in two plastic totes. They can also be used as a table when empty.

Comfort
For comfort, camp chairs make relaxing around camp more enjoyable. Anything from the cheap $7 chairs you find at department stores to the nicer ones that recline with cup holders etc. My biggest requirement is having a cup holder. Solar powered or battery powered fan for your tent if you love somewhere it's hot and humid. I have a friend who uses a ryobi fan that runs on his tool batteries.
Lights, a headlamp is always great but a lantern or two around camp come in handy. Solar lights are also nice to avoid batteries etc. For fun things, my buddy brings a drone, I usually bring my rc rock crawler to need with around camp. Well usually go hiking, dirt biking or off roading.

The worst part is stuff can really start to add up. Being a backpacker, it's an advantage because you can still look at how to use things in multiple ways and you're probably going to try and minimize stuff. Depending on the size of your vehicle and your group, you have a lot of wiggle room versus just what fits in your pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

what do you guys do when camping in those stove heated tents? try not to freeze? hunt polar bears?

In the past I used them mostly for base camp hunting trips for Moose, elk, etc. Now I plan on using mine mostly for a base camp for ski and snowshoe trips. They're nice to use to warm up a bit, dry out clothes, hang out and not be freezing while cooking, reading, playing cards, etc.

In my case a log properly cut will last only about an hour. So you've still got to have a warm enough bag for whatever your night time temps will be unless you want to wake up every hour to load more wood in.