Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

look I don't know your hosed up geography from the 1700s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arivia posted:

look I don't know your hosed up geography from the 1700s
To give the gist, DC is officially not part of any state and is its own little enclave that is part of No State at All. This has caused problems because it's not just a bunch of office buildings and a fancy residential zone for congressmen and judges, it's got hundreds of thousands of people. There has been discussion of making it a state but this would be detrimental to one political party, so it has gone nowhere thus far. (Much beyond this and we enter American electoral politics.)

A Bone Gnawer Gift of this sort used in DC should cause a one-round delay, followed by the awakening of the statue of Abraham Lincoln, who declares it "Rad," and makes it operate nationwide.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

this is confusing just make bonegnawer affect like, all liquids or something

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

To give the gist, DC is officially not part of any state and is its own little enclave that is part of No State at All. This has caused problems because it's not just a bunch of office buildings and a fancy residential zone for congressmen and judges, it's got hundreds of thousands of people. There has been discussion of making it a state but this would be detrimental to one political party, so it has gone nowhere thus far. (Much beyond this and we enter American electoral politics.)

A Bone Gnawer Gift of this sort used in DC should cause a one-round delay, followed by the Awakening of the statue of Abraham Lincoln, who declares it "Rad," and makes it operate nationwide.

I made it better.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nessus posted:

A Bone Gnawer Gift of this sort used in DC should cause a one-round delay, followed by the awakening of the statue of Abraham Lincoln, who declares it "Rad," and makes it operate nationwide.

Lie to me and tell me this is Rules as Written in the book.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Omnicrom posted:

Lie to me and tell me this is Rules as Written in the book.

Only if you bribe the ST with pizza during the appropriate rite.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Edge cases aside what happens if you try to use the Gift somewhere other than the US that isn't divided up by states?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Zereth posted:

Edge cases aside what happens if you try to use the Gift somewhere other than the US that isn't divided up by states?

It will still work, but its maximum range might be hosed up if you don't have states or provinces. The range is based on successes and leaps from "same city" for 4 to "same state/province" for 5.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PantsOptional posted:

It will still work, but its maximum range might be hosed up if you don't have states or provinces. The range is based on successes and leaps from "same city" for 4 to "same state/province" for 5.

It just jumps to either the first level subdivisions from ISO 3166-2, or if you're in the EU it uses NUTS-1.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Seasteading Bone Gnawers contrive to control the oceans of the world

Sovcit Bone Gnawers attempt to defang the gift entirely

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

That makes me wonder what the european equivalent of the Rite of Superbowl Sunday is. FIFA? Cricket?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

citybeatnik posted:

That makes me wonder what the european equivalent of the Rite of Superbowl Sunday is. FIFA? Cricket?

World Cup. Apparently it goes on for weeks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And oh, the only time you see inter-tribal warfare among the Gnawers is when the British ones call it 'handegg.'

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Seasteading Bone Gnawers contrive to control the oceans of the world

I was thinking about this and then remembered how WtA explicitly tells you this can't happen because of Rokea and that's one of the things I hated about OWoD. V5 has had some stuff with Cainites in Asia and again I just think that Kindred of the East tells you this isn't going to happen outside of some weirdo in a building, who never leaves, because Asian "vampires" will destroy you. CoD moving away from that was one of the best moves of the line.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I was thinking about this and then remembered how WtA explicitly tells you this can't happen because of Rokea and that's one of the things I hated about OWoD. V5 has had some stuff with Cainites in Asia and again I just think that Kindred of the East tells you this isn't going to happen outside of some weirdo in a building, who never leaves, because Asian "vampires" will destroy you. CoD moving away from that was one of the best moves of the line.
It's a very 90s, neoliberal end-of-history view that the line takes, isn't it? Everywhere has been claimed. All power structures are in their final, static form. The only change can come from the world ending due to forces entirely beyond our control. Nothing we could've done, oops!

Even weird poo poo in the Umbra for Werewolf specifically is written D&D Manual of the Planes-style, here's everyone there, here's the deal with that realm, that's just how it is, see the sights and don't change things because you can't.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

It's a very 90s, neoliberal end-of-history view that the line takes, isn't it? Everywhere has been claimed. All power structures are in their final, static form. The only change can come from the world ending due to forces entirely beyond our control. Nothing we could've done, oops!

Even weird poo poo in the Umbra for Werewolf specifically is written D&D Manual of the Planes-style, here's everyone there, here's the deal with that realm, that's just how it is, see the sights and don't change things because you can't.
On the first topic, I'd say it's actually more like a reaction to those forces, in a rather inchoate way, and also probably heavily influenced by the relative lack of information that they had. However, what would have really been end-of-history-ish is if they had had all vampires be descendants of Caine and, perhaps, had two or three clans in East Asia who claimed to have independent antediluvian heritage and who the Westerners were like 'no those guys are obviously Good Lasombra and those frowny-face Brujah, OBVIOUSLY' instead of having mysterious super powers connected to completely different stuff. And also the Japanese vampires were staunch Camarilla backers.

In Vampire of course this started because Vampire was concieved as a fictional underlaying of the already-decaying Midwest and extrapolated out from there, which kind of worked for America and Europe but rapidly made no sense for elsewhere, so it was easier to say "uhhh baba yega means you can't go to moscow. koschei eats you. yep." than to consider these cultural removes.

You also get a lot of underlying ethnic basis to these groups and while a lot of the expanded materials tacks against it, you are still left with a sort of core set of rings: the seven Camarilla clans are kind of stateless, the clans going out from there are Latinx/Old Romanian/Middle Eastern Assassins/etc. The primary image of the Giovanni is Gothique Mafia, not "The Creepy Necromancers (also Italians)."

Werewolf also had this going on, obviously; and also obviously, these subsplats were not JUST ethnic analogues, but they were heavily coded.

On the second topic I would actually kind of disagree because in Werewolf the Near Umbra is pretty explicitly "yo, you can fix poo poo here." The big fancy realms you are kind of right about, although even there I recall a fair bit of "you CAN put your work into loving these places up, in some cases very profoundly, but it is not something you can do in a night."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

Werewolf also had this going on, obviously; and also obviously, these subsplats were not JUST ethnic analogues, but they were heavily coded.

The new Woof edition is going to be very interesting indeed. I've seen what people want them to shift (like no more at least calling them Metis, because yikes) to stuff like changing the Wendigo's name (the guy I saw wanting that even just called them 'w*ndigo' for reasons I don't know) to stop calling them 'tribes' at all. Revised pushed back against the monolithic 'all tribes are this' mentality like in Vampire, but you can only do so much. Maybe they'll discretely crib from Forsaken and change the tribes to something more about what you do than where you're from which works for some of the tribes already.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

The new Woof edition is going to be very interesting indeed. I've seen what people want them to shift (like no more at least calling them Metis, because yikes) to stuff like changing the Wendigo's name (the guy I saw wanting that even just called them 'w*ndigo' for reasons I don't know) to stop calling them 'tribes' at all. Revised pushed back against the monolithic 'all tribes are this' mentality like in Vampire, but you can only do so much. Maybe they'll discretely crib from Forsaken and change the tribes to something more about what you do than where you're from which works for some of the tribes already.
I imagine they considered the wendigo to be a horrible monster which it was horrible to associate with a native society, even a fictional one. (I imagine Uktena didn't have this problem.)

If I was retooling WTA while keeping the general pattern I would redub the tribes as "societies" (editorial note: same word in the Garou language) and would try to minimize the whole ethnic background poo poo. Frankly I would also throw the Silver Fangs in the garbage but a lot of people love them some ~lineage of kings~ crap. You could probably recast the Fangs as "the people most invested in the care and upkeep of the Garou Nation as a cultural enterprise."

While I'm here I'd also throw out Pure Breed or render it an entirely social thing, rather than giving it any kind of mystic overtone or whatever. You can probably have a Merit or Flaw to represent your esteemed great-grandpappy who killed fiddy fomors.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

If I was retooling WTA while keeping the general pattern I would redub the tribes as "societies" (editorial note: same word in the Garou language) and would try to minimize the whole ethnic background poo poo. Frankly I would also throw the Silver Fangs in the garbage but a lot of people love them some ~lineage of kings~ crap. You could probably recast the Fangs as "the people most invested in the care and upkeep of the Garou Nation as a cultural enterprise." .

Honestly just throwing out all the faulty 'wolves have alphas betas etc' would probably do wonders for the game. I don't actually blame a young and bright-eyed WW because that was the easiest research to dig up but it's time to move past that, like along with the notion of indigenous tribes not having any urban centers.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 25, 2020

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Nessus posted:

I imagine they considered the wendigo to be a horrible monster which it was horrible to associate with a native society, even a fictional one. (I imagine Uktena didn't have this problem.)

If I was retooling WTA while keeping the general pattern I would redub the tribes as "societies" (editorial note: same word in the Garou language) and would try to minimize the whole ethnic background poo poo. Frankly I would also throw the Silver Fangs in the garbage but a lot of people love them some ~lineage of kings~ crap. You could probably recast the Fangs as "the people most invested in the care and upkeep of the Garou Nation as a cultural enterprise."

While I'm here I'd also throw out Pure Breed or render it an entirely social thing, rather than giving it any kind of mystic overtone or whatever. You can probably have a Merit or Flaw to represent your esteemed great-grandpappy who killed fiddy fomors.
Make it so Past Lives represented how connected you were to your ancestors maybe? The further you could trace your petagree and all that? Or is that still troublin gently caress if i know i only play bone gnawers so i don't have to gently caress around with either.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

One of the things that I did appreciate about WTA even when I was also younger and stupider is that the native American Garou groups were not a monolith, although it was pretty cheeseball that one of them had blown themselves up (even if it also made them bad-rear end).

citybeatnik posted:

Make it so Past Lives represented how connected you were to your ancestors maybe? The further you could trace your petagree and all that? Or is that still troublin gently caress if i know i only play bone gnawers so i don't have to gently caress around with either.
I think past lives works fine as is, the issue with Pure Breed is IMO that it is cast as "you are so ethnically pure that people are just wowed at your sleek pelt and powerful musk." Which sucks. However, some kind of trait to the effect of "you're the spitting image of Turns-The-Coaler-Inside-Out, the Grandmama of Blair Mountain," (and that is in fact your great-aunt) "and therefore you get positive pop from other Garou" isn't a bad idea necessarily.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 25, 2020

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Nessus posted:

I dunno, depending on who you ask the Uktena can be a real dick what with breathing a pestilence that kills anyone it meets and wiping out the families of hunters and poo poo - which is why the classic piece of bizarre new age tumblr nonsense about a refuge home for abused spirits including helpless widdle Uktena never fails to crack me up.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The wendigo seems to have been used as a metaphor for colonialism and definitely does not have positive connotations, while Uktena seems to be a legendary monster, so I can see how these don't get weighted together... ultimately I'm going to listen to a Native guy's opinion, and it is kind of weird that they have their entire tribe named after this particular monster, as opposed to like, you know, "Wolf." Or "North Wolf" with Uktena being "South Wolf" and Croatoan "East Wolf."

It would also make a lot more sense if they had cast the tribes/societies as being intrinsically fluid things, because you could have given the Galliards something to do beyond drop diss tracks, and avoid the "The 13 16 14 13 still 13 but gently caress our bad bunyips 12 tribes of Garou" thing.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Oh, yeah, the tribes need a massive rework, I just like to remind people that Uktena is hella scary.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I mean gently caress why didn't they have Thunderbird as a totemic figure? Thunderbirds live on a magic mountain and love kicking rear end and fighting snake-themed enemies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

I mean gently caress why didn't they have Thunderbird as a totemic figure? Thunderbirds live on a magic mountain and love kicking rear end and fighting snake-themed enemies.

I don't think Thunderbird was far enough north to claim the Wendigo spot. It is silly in hindsight they couldn't have done a tribe name with cold wind or anything like that in it. Nope! Cannibalistic monster.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I put some thought into expanding my line of Exalted Vault content into other games by doing a bunch of Legacies for Awakening 2e, but was ultimately forced to conclude that I don't know Awakening 2e well enough to do this now that Legacies have actual rules. Oh, well, two hours spent filing the serial numbers of the Elemental Tamers is all I lost.

That said, doing Exalted content that OPP for some reason decided not to do themselves has a decent chance of netting me a four-digit sum during the sale month of July, so somebody who does know Awakening 2e well enough to do so could probably make some modest bank putting together a set of Legacies to fill in that bleeding gap in the game's publication schedule.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
One day I will play my golem maker with the Shadow Name Avicebron.

Golem.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Hey hey people, Lobster here. It's time for some more VTES ravings for the two or three people interested in fancy cardboard games around here.

New spoiler announced today included in the 5th edition:

Revealed in a french VTES channel, it's a Nosferatu clan only library card, translation as follow:

The burrow
Reaction
Nosferatu
Cost: 1 blood
Only usable against D (directed) actions against you or a card you control
+2 intercept. +1 additional intercept if the Nosferatu is titled (total +3)

It's a pretty interesting card although I don't think it's super good or anything like that. At it's core, is a straight upgrade (but clan-only) off two identical older cards, Elder Intervention/Pack tactics check them here. Some random observations, the fact that also helps against D actions in general and also usable against actions against cards you control it's a pretty big difference, bleed only actions is a pretty narrow condition. Why does it matter? Because it let you defend against actions to steal your Powerbase: Montreal, defend your Smiling Jack, the Anarch, protect you against a mindrape or graverobbing, sensory depravations etc. Another interesting fact is the additional intercept with titled vampires, take notice that it doesn't say camarilla titled vampires, so this also works with anarch barons.

My first thought is to play this with your typical Nosferatu princes decks, you can play a second tradition: domain and this one and get +5 intercept against directed actions, which seems sweet at first glance, however I don't think it's either necessary or even that good. +3 intercept is a big number but the big problem of this card is that's super inflexible and it costs blood, second tradition is much better than this already, even more in a clan like Nosferatu that also gets animalism as a clan discipline. Animalism has really good versatile cards that provides intercept and/or another useful effect in a single card, like sense the savage way or cats' guidance. So, is this card really useful in the classic Nosferatu Royalty decks? Not really, I think it does not has much use in decks with moderately big vamps with big disciplines and/or good titles, there are better cards in that slot.

On the other hand, I think it has decent potential in a deck with a small to midsized crypt, like 6-7 capacity without much access to superior animalism and with a greater focus in obfuscate and potence. Does a crypt like that exist? Not really, at least not yet, however this is precisely what the new vamps in 5th edition aims to achieve. Also I think this can work pretty well with protected district in a deck with primogens.

In conclusion, decent card but not game breaking stuff like some of the cards released in the last couple years, it will probably incentivize people to come up with new archetypes so I'm copletely fine with this. What I'm really bummed about is that I can't use it with Brujah.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 29, 2020

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
While I avoid the ccg thing after spending way to much on magic back in the day, I appreciate these effort posts you do on these cards. The game sounds fascinating.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Yeah, VTES is a really deep game. One of my future projects is to write a LP about it here in SA, however my life right now is a mess and I don't have enough time to spare, so I hope to be able to start that in a couple months.

I can absolutely relate to your experience in Magic, it has been absurdely expensive for a long time.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
The worst part is that when I was done with magic, and I had bought boxes and boxes of cards, I just gave them all to my tween sisters to play with, so I didn't even make money off the habit.

They enjoyed it though, so it was with it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

VtES is kind of magical because once in a while they pop up at a yardsale or craigslist for cheap.

Still kicking myself for passing on a "make an offer" box of Heirs to the Blood, but the good cards from that set have gotten reprinted.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

All this talk about VtES has reminded me that I have a whole bunch of those Rage cards lying somewhere at my folks' place from years ago, including an all bone gnawer deck.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

While I avoid the ccg thing after spending way to much on magic back in the day, I appreciate these effort posts you do on these cards. The game sounds fascinating.

There is genuinely no better multiplayer CCG out there. The only downside is needing four people, no more and no less.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dawgstar posted:

There is genuinely no better multiplayer CCG out there. The only downside is needing four people, no more and no less.

Back when I played at my FLGS, years ago, 4-5 was the magic number.

I keep thinking about playing on lackey but I keep getting distracted by a billion other things. Once the habit is lost it's hard to get back into it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I remember having fun with a 1 on 1 games, but you really need to build a deck with that style play in mind.

I really think the biggest problem they had was not selling themed starter decks until a few years into the game.

The hurdle was finding 2+ other players. This was exasperated by being unable to buy a working deck off the shelf.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I never played but in the early to mid 90s my local game store had some Jyhad stuff on clearance and I bought a sealed box of Jyhad boosters on a whim. Still have them, unopened. The box is a little worse for wear but it looks like all the cards inside would still be in mint. A little googling suggests prices are all over the place, but if someone here would actually want it I'll throw up a SA-Mart page and sell it for a reasonable price.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Dawgstar posted:

Four people is fine for a casual game, however the consensus in the community is that the ideal number is five players, it's the standard everywhere. There's also notable differences in table dynamics and game flow between four and five player tables.

moths posted:

I remember having fun with a 1 on 1 games, but you really need to build a deck with that style play in mind.

I really think the biggest problem they had was not selling themed starter decks until a few years into the game.

The hurdle was finding 2+ other players. This was exasperated by being unable to buy a working deck off the shelf.

Yep, being able to gather four or five players at the same place for 2+ hours is kind of a pain in the rear end sometimes, like herding cats. I'm kinda lucky because I live nearby one of the most active communities in the world, in fact I play more tournaments than regular games.

Leperflesh posted:

I never played but in the early to mid 90s my local game store had some Jyhad stuff on clearance and I bought a sealed box of Jyhad boosters on a whim. Still have them, unopened. The box is a little worse for wear but it looks like all the cards inside would still be in mint. A little googling suggests prices are all over the place, but if someone here would actually want it I'll throw up a SA-Mart page and sell it for a reasonable price.

I'm interested in that one, go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

What a coincidence. I just dug out an unsorted box of jyhad I picked up a few years ago. Had some good staples in it too. As of the last time I was playing at least. Especially thaumaturgy stuff, I remember all that being hard to come by at a time.