Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

I just assumed there's be one there because of the immigrant population tbh.

is this racist? I can never keep up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
code:
Rank	MSA	                         Region	             Chinese-Americans	   Percentage
1	New York-Newark-Jersey City	 Mid-Atlantic	     739,144                3.7
2	Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim	 Pacific             528,248                4.0
3	San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward	 Pacific             460,252               10.2
4	San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara	 Pacific             169,026                8.8
5	Boston-Cambridge-Newton	         New England         133,241                2.8
6	Chicago-Naperville-Elgin	 East North Central  109,046                1.1
7	Washington-Arlington-Alexandria	 South Atlantic      105,462                1.8
8	Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue	         Pacific              98,949                2.7
9	Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land West South Central   86,246                1.4
10	Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington	 Mid-Atlantic         82,487                1.4
Rank no 9 on Chinese-American population.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 20:15 on Jul 22, 2020

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Great Autismo! posted:

is this racist? I can never keep up

Nah that's what consulates do. Dealing with expatriates, etc. Houston being a hub is surprising but I also didn't realize it was such a big city. :v: that + the oil stuff makes sense now.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Houston is/was a large scale international transit hub because continental airlines is based out of there, as well as the oil/gas/petrochem industry hq of the western world

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Houston (/ˈhjuːstən/ (About this soundlisten) HEW-stən) is the most populous city in the U.S. state of Texas, fourth most populous city in the United States, most populous city in the Southern United States, as well as the sixth most populous in North America, with an estimated 2019 population of 2,320,268.[2] Located in Southeast Texas near Galveston Bay and the Gulf of Mexico, it is the seat of Harris County and the principal city of the Greater Houston metropolitan area, which is the fifth most populous metropolitan statistical area in the United States and the second most populous in Texas after the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, with a population of 6,997,384 in 2018.[6]

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

code:
Rank	MSA	                         Region	             Chinese-Americans	   Percentage
1	New York-Newark-Jersey City	 Mid-Atlantic	     739,144                3.7
2	Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim	 Pacific             528,248                4.0
3	San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward	 Pacific             460,252               10.2
4	San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara	 Pacific             169,026                8.8
5	Boston-Cambridge-Newton	         New England         133,241                2.8
6	Chicago-Naperville-Elgin	 East North Central  109,046                1.1
7	Washington-Arlington-Alexandria	 South Atlantic      105,462                1.8
8	Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue	         Pacific              98,949                2.7
9	Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land West South Central   86,246                1.4
10	Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington	 Mid-Atlantic         82,487                1.4
Rank no 9 on Chinese-American population.

where'd you get this? when I looked for Chinese population in Seattle it came back at around 45,000 or so

I didn't look for Chinese-Americans, maybe that is the difference? idk\

looking at this it definitely makes sense to have two in the pacific region, one or two mid-atlantic, one north central and one south central

what was annoying was when we hired a guy from northern Florida, he had to do everything through the Houston embassy. we hired a guy from Kentucky and he had to do everything through DC or NYC - can't remember, but he couldn't go to Chicago for it. maybe all that's changed, this was like five or six years ago

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Exclusive: French limits on Huawei 5G equipment amount to de facto ban by 2028

France has followed UK in effectively banning Huawei.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

The Great Autismo! posted:

where'd you get this? when I looked for Chinese population in Seattle it came back at around 45,000 or so

I didn't look for Chinese-Americans, maybe that is the difference? idk\

looking at this it definitely makes sense to have two in the pacific region, one or two mid-atlantic, one north central and one south central

what was annoying was when we hired a guy from northern Florida, he had to do everything through the Houston embassy. we hired a guy from Kentucky and he had to do everything through DC or NYC - can't remember, but he couldn't go to Chicago for it. maybe all that's changed, this was like five or six years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._cities_with_significant_Chinese-American_populations

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Algund Eenboom posted:

Houston (/ˈhjuːstən/ (About this soundlisten) HEW-stən) is the most populous city in the U.S. state of Texas, fourth most populous city in the United States, most populous city in the Southern United States, as well as the sixth most populous in North America, with an estimated 2019 population of 2,320,268.[2] Located in Southeast Texas near Galveston Bay and the Gulf of Mexico, it is the seat of Harris County and the principal city of the Greater Houston metropolitan area, which is the fifth most populous metropolitan statistical area in the United States and the second most populous in Texas after the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, with a population of 6,997,384 in 2018.[6]

Good to know

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This better be good Lao Hu

https://twitter.com/HuXijin_GT/status/1285975018606821376?s=20

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
if they don't blow up the consulate like the north koreans did to that building in kaesong then i'm going to knock off a few points

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
alternatively, they could sneak up behind the U.S. ambassador and give him a surprise wedgie

also, possibly implanting a thumb tack in the mango mussolini's seat during a bilateral meeting. youch!

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 01:28 on Jul 23, 2020

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/andymok/status/1286056267371421704

:thunk:

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/ian_urbina/status/1286037414117625857?s=20

China has been stealing all the North Korean squid causing NK fishermen to starve to death

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
this is the cspam china thread and by god we love two things, mao and houston

i wonder if the us and eu are gonna shove money into ericsson to replace huawei or just accept the fact that 5g is loving useless outside of spying on people

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Hillary 2020 posted:

https://twitter.com/ian_urbina/status/1286037414117625857?s=20

China has been stealing all the North Korean squid causing NK fishermen to starve to death

Seems like China is breaking sanctions and continuing their previous agreements secretly

quote:

In 2004, China signed a multimillion-dollar fishing license agreement with North Korea that led to a drastic increase in the number of Chinese boats in North Korean waters. But international sanctions imposed in 2017 in response to North Korea's intercontinental ballistic missile launches and nuclear tests were meant to squeeze key sources of North Korean revenue.

also it seems like the desperate fishing is a consequence of sanctions as well

quote:

In the wake of the U.N. sanctions and as foreign currency reserves have dwindled, the North Korean government has tried to bolster its fishing industry by turning soldiers into fishermen, dispatching these poorly trained seafarers onto notoriously turbulent waters. The sanctions have also intensified North Korea’s gasoline shortage. Japanese investigators say that some of the Korean fishing boats washing onto Japanese beaches suffered from engine failure or simply ran out of fuel.

would be really cool if we got glossy stories like this about other impacts of sanctions, not just the ones that implicate China

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Hu is talking about how much logistic pain it will cause the US if the HK embassy is ckosed.

https://weibo.com/1989660417/Jcu6Qpp8A

I don't know if he is playibg 4d chess or he actually has insider info.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 23, 2021

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Centrist Committee posted:

imo there’s enough serious poo poo happening that there should be a china thread without the china whataboutism

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 23, 2021

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAi3VTSdTxU

what about
what about
what about
what about
what about

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sincx posted:

lmao home depot
isn't an incinerator standard equipment for a diplomatic compound?

when someone I know was trying to get rid of documents that they didn't want around anymore, they soaked them in a barrel of soapwater. the paper would just dissolve into pulp

I'm not saying that that's what they did, and obviously this doesn't work if you need to get rid of papers quickly, but I always wondered why people don't do this more, since what you lose in time, you gain in not having large plumes of smoke escaping from a chimney

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

gradenko_2000 posted:

when someone I know was trying to get rid of documents that they didn't want around anymore, they soaked them in a barrel of soapwater. the paper would just dissolve into pulp

I'm not saying that that's what they did, and obviously this doesn't work if you need to get rid of papers quickly, but I always wondered why people don't do this more, since what you lose in time, you gain in not having large plumes of smoke escaping from a chimney

You still gotta dispose of your soapy paper slurry, is that a lot better? I honestly don't know, this isn't my thing, I just wonder that whenever a proposed solution to something ends in "we're gonna dump this concoction down the drain." I don't know if printing paper is treated with environmentally friendly chemicals that are fine for the sewer system.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

burn barrel is guaranteed destruction that basically everyone has enough experience to run, I guess I'd have to test soap barrel several times to know if it can handle an office's worth of documents.

Also does it need human agitation to break up the pages? maybe the smoke barrel was a decoy and the soap barrels are running right now

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
what’s this poo poo about the SF consulate?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

what’s this poo poo about the SF consulate?

A researcher who worked at UC Davis and who lied about not serving in the Chinese military is hiding out in the SF consulate.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think the Chinese wanted to make as much smoke as possible. If the firemen tried to force in the building it would even be better.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

yeah but what’s the fbi’s agenda

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think the Chinese wanted to make as much smoke as possible. If the firemen tried to force in the building it would even be better.
:hmmyes:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

also there was a minor international incident years back when some dumbass houston cop pursued a diplomat into the consulate and beat the poo poo out of him

so they probably don't give a gently caress about the smoke

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

yeah but what’s the fbi’s agenda

I don't know, they want to Assange him?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/qiaocollective/status/1286020583143149573?s=19

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
That seem to be way kinder "accusation" than the usual vaccine hacking accusations.

In my dystopian alternate future, BLM and Falun Dafa would go on proxy war on the street for their masters.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

It never ends.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

sincx posted:

I love how the regime change crowd oscillates between "China is running out of water" and "the Three Gorges Dam is going to collapse."

"If there's no water why are there floods" is the same as "if global warming is real why is it snowing"

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

GoutPatrol posted:

gently caress off with the "I'm stalking you" bullshit. I thought you were threadbanned here too (as many other posters believed) and you posted "but tino was, not me "wink" and that also sounded loving dumb. I'm not even the one that reported you. You were banned because you kept coming in with takes that ended with "those fuckers deserved it" every drat time.

Anyone who believes in 'threadbanning' is a total loving idiot. Full stop.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Antonymous posted:

xinjiang isn't a province it's an autonomous region, so your technicality doesn't even work

the land of xinjiang has been part of some chinese state for like 2000 years, way longer than Uyghurs have lived there so idk why you'd want to make an argument from this perspective

'Xinjiang' literally means 'new frontier.' New. Try again.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

if the russian and chinese landmass did not exist, the population that would become native americans would never have been able to cross the land bridge to america and america would have remained a pristine untouched lebensraum and european settlers wouldn't have had to genocide them
:thunk:

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

NaanViolence posted:

'Xinjiang' literally means 'new frontier.' New. Try again.

a lot of what we think of as china are actually newly conquered places

btw a lot of other places with new in their names need to be liberated from the chinese, like new zealand, new brunswick, new jersey, new amsterdam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lets go Cubstan love da cubstans

EDIT: lol you idiots it's the PhilippineS, and IlocoS

and there wouldn't be a Philippine nationalist movement because the Philippines was a colonial project/identity projected onto us by Spain. That section south of Ilocos would probably be a nation of the Tagalogs or of Tondo

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 16:56 on Jul 23, 2020