Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Well poo poo. The masks i'm used to using let enough sound through, but i guess that extra bit of sealing makes a big difference there. Thanks for info.

Also, this longish thread has a decent amount of discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengineering/comments/gaxk9a/microphone_and_speaker_recommendation_for_someone/

Welp, trying to make the snipe useful.

Looks like the US curve is finally slowing down. Or there's no new data as the white house now handles that. Good luck america.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Z the IVth posted:

I am desperately trying to find some sort of mic system that is compatible with it so I can speak normally.

This reminds me of the underwater episode of Bojack Horseman

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Those are good for single use disposables, but every brand seems to have a significant number of negative reviews with complaints like too large, too small, too slippery, tangles in hair because it's not slippery enough, too brittle, too stretchy and so on. Basically a good product, just not good for that specific customer's head.

For a cloth ear loop mask or a handful of disposable N95s that you reuse, I wonder if just yarn or a soft cotton cord to tie the back of the ear loops together wouldn't work better? You can tie it the perfect length for your particular goony head. String won't get lost like a piece of plastic can. It can go right in the wash with your cloth masks.

String would be inconvenient if you were changing masks a dozen times a day, but most people aren't doing that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Insane Totoro posted:

Anyone with the N95 hookup lmk. I've got a nice set of KN95s in all varieties but I have a family member who has to teach school in person now!

Might help to include your location. Here in Victoria BC I've seen KN95s or N95s in stock in both Dollarama and Staples. But that won't help you if you don't live here.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Can anyone explain the covid-related change shortage? Almost nobody in central Indiana is following any sort of precautions. When I go to pick up groceries on the weekend, the regular parking lot is packed. The Kroger and Payless that I pass are also packed. Other stores have near-normal traffic. Restaurants are still more drive-thru than dine-in, but still busy. People are out spending as usual, why are grocery stores and such adding change shortage fees if paying in cash?

The only cash I ever have is an "emergency $20" that I keep hidden in my car so the shortage hasn't affected me but I'm just curious what the reason is if 90% of the local population is still out going hog wild.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

zer0spunk posted:

"hey america, sorry about your dumpster fire but we can have your movies or what?"

quote:

According to experts, US cinemas will not reopen in earnest until September at the earliest.

Technically true, but I want what these optimists are smoking.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sir Not Appearing posted:

Can anyone explain the covid-related change shortage? Almost nobody in central Indiana is following any sort of precautions. When I go to pick up groceries on the weekend, the regular parking lot is packed. The Kroger and Payless that I pass are also packed. Other stores have near-normal traffic. Restaurants are still more drive-thru than dine-in, but still busy. People are out spending as usual, why are grocery stores and such adding change shortage fees if paying in cash?

The only cash I ever have is an "emergency $20" that I keep hidden in my car so the shortage hasn't affected me but I'm just curious what the reason is if 90% of the local population is still out going hog wild.

Murderer tax.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

brinx drivers cant work from home and truck driving unions dont gently caress around.

where i live there is no tax they straight up say non cash payment or exact change or gtfo. got to watch a karen explode today after she went to each register in walmart and ask if they take cash despite each one having a sign that says no they dont.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

some retail places have to run to the bank like 3-4 times a day for change
but everythings on shortened hours now
so its not worth it

but also im very sorry america doesnt have interac
this has been no problem in canada, just tap ur card and go

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Mithaldu posted:

Looks like the US curve is finally slowing down.

Yeah? The country with the president who says tests are bad, and there should be many bigly fewer tests? That country? Huh

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

snergle posted:

brinx drivers cant work from home and truck driving unions dont gently caress around.

OK, that makes sense. That's one of the few unions that can still say lick our balls and they get their balls licked. I wish our teachers union still even had balls.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Insane Totoro posted:

Anyone with the N95 hookup lmk. I've got a nice set of KN95s in all varieties but I have a family member who has to teach school in person now!

Last week I ordered a 20-pack of N95s from MediDent, the place that's been advertising on SA. They arrived yesterday in good condition, and after wearing one for about three hours I'm satisfied with them. They're not quite to 3M standards, but they have a solid seal and solid construction. Wish I hadn't had to pay $100 for them, but them's the breaks.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Platystemon posted:

what these optimists are smoking.

My nine inch hog leg.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Mithaldu posted:

I'm not talking about anti-maskers.

I'm talking about people who:

- happily wear normal masks
- AND work in high risk environments
- AND refuse to use stronger and more reliable protection than disposable N95

Relax dude, N95 masks work when worn correctly. If you wanna walk around larping Contagion or whatever, fine but it's not necessary to do on a large scale

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Almost nobody in central Indiana is following any sort of precautions. When I go to pick up groceries on the weekend, the regular parking lot is packed. The Kroger and Payless that I pass are also packed. Other stores have near-normal traffic.

Because Indiana.

Where I work our bank is limiting us to 10 rolls of coin per denomination for change orders. Thanks guys, that $5 of pennies will do the trick. I get why it's happening, theoretically. But the lockdown is pretty much given up on, everything seems back to business as usual. So I'm not sure how the explanation of less circulation fits with that either.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
So Russia's handing out vaccines now:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-20/russian-elite-got-experimental-covid-19-vaccine-from-april

Is this how phase 3 testing works over there?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm about 100 posts behind but I talked with my mom and she said my grandma remembered the 1918 flu. She told my mom that in.... Kansas I think.... where her family lived, the men of the town stood at the entrances to the town with guns and wouldn't let anyone in. They survived.

Now I'm sure that's much easier in a small rural town but hey, we have a lot more guns and people now. :shrug:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm about 100 posts behind but I talked with my mom and she said my grandma remembered the 1918 flu. She told my mom that in.... Kansas I think.... where her family lived, the men of the town stood at the entrances to the town with guns and wouldn't let anyone in. They survived.

Now I'm sure that's much easier in a small rural town but hey, we have a lot more guns and people now. :shrug:

drat i can't believe they're the only ones that lived

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Fallom posted:

drat i can't believe they're the only ones that lived

Not sure where you got that from. Rereading what I said I still can't figure out what you mean.

It's just a thing that happened in their small town.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

is there anybody who didn't shoot any minorities entering their town that survived the spanish flu

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Fallom posted:

is there anybody who didn't shoot any minorities entering their town that survived the spanish flu

what the gently caress are you talking about?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

these boys, they guarded that town. They Survived. Everyone else? :shakes head:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Fallom posted:

these boys, they guarded that town. They Survived. Everyone else? :shakes head:

Nope. Never said that. You're just implying stupid poo poo.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Like you implied them killing black people out of nowhere.

You should stop talking.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

we have more guns now. makes u think. thanks gramma

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Fallom posted:

we have more guns now. makes u think. thanks gramma

You can't possibly believe I was serious about everyone grabbing guns now and blocking people from entering the state/whatever.

People won't even wear a god drat mask.

edit: you probably did

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Mithaldu posted:

Looks like the US curve is finally slowing down. Or there's no new data as the white house now handles that. Good luck america.

It's logarithmic.
Japan surge got them from 1 to 5 daily Covid tested per million while the USA light incline got them from 100 to 200.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 23, 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1286148986601123841 (Sigh) https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1286147798535147520

:cripes:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mithaldu posted:

If you look at the entire country as a monolith, reported infections might be slowing overall. But some of the individual states sure as heck are going absolute gangbusters:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/california/

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Mithaldu posted:

i'm referring to anyone who is in a situation where a 1 time purchase of 150$ is fine for them

How long has it been since you were both poor and working in food service/retail/otherwise directly working with the public? Because there's a ton of them and I'm kinda surprised you forgot about them

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I have to say, I recently drove across the country from LA to North Bumfuck, New England and the differences in attitude have astounded me. I left California just before things went south, and it was bizarre to me on my last day there that some restaurants in Pasadena were sitting people indoors.

Going through Vegas was better than expected, with employees offering tweezers with masks pretty much everywhere, but from there and across the Rockies and plains and the Midwest, I felt like a
dweeb for wearing face masks indoors.

But now that I'm in North Bumfuck--and I haven't seen this anywhere else--there are signs around the town perimeter telling people to put on their loving masks. Several restaurants have closed their doors forever and it's very sad, but then again this entire county has suffered two deaths. I kind of want to stay here.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The US is so incredibly hosed, LOL

The really hosed up thing is that this is always how Trump has responded to crises, it's just that before covid he could just puff himself up like an angry rooster and yell and bluster and then quietly pass the problems off onto the states and they'd desperately flail about trying to keep their heads above water and somehow pull through. (With international diplomacy he'd just screech and yell and the other countries would go "Uhhhh whatever dude" and slowly back away.) Up until now he could just scream "It's a Democrat hoax to make me look bad!" and it'd work. People would still be hosed but the issue would drop out of the news cycle which meant it was 'solved'.
But now there's a massive crisis that the states can't handle on their own and it's not going to go away and he's got nothing in his playbook so y'all are poo poo out of luck.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

^^^ We know, we'd been waiting for an actual loving crisis to happen for 3 years. Amazing we nearly made it a whole term without hundreds of thousands (once this is all over) of Americans dying directly from his gross incompetence.

Really living up to the Grim Reaper nickname he gave himself

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

im honestly offended he called me a demon. im a loving gremlin you old piece of poo poo! and while a glass of water is appreciated (id hate to come across as ungrateful) i just want the check.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Not sure where you got that from. Rereading what I said I still can't figure out what you mean.

It's just a thing that happened in their small town.

It's this bit.

It sounds like you're doing a voice over at the start of an apocalypse movie.

When he started going on about shooting minorities......I dunno what that was about.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

lil poopendorfer posted:

Relax dude, N95 masks work when worn correctly. If you wanna walk around larping Contagion or whatever, fine but it's not necessary to do on a large scale
I know at least one very disciplined and well-trained person with military experience and one with advanced EMT training who got covid due to their job.

Tafferling posted:

It's logarithmic.
Japan surge got them from 1 to 5 daily Covid tested per million while the USA light incline got them from 100 to 200.
The last 3 segments in the line are 201.3 200.6 200.3

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If you look at the entire country as a monolith, reported infections might be slowing overall. But some of the individual states sure as heck are going absolute gangbusters:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/california/
Ah, maybe data such as that last spike isn't integrated into FT's dataset yet.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The FT graph is a 7-day moving average (same as the blue line on the worldometers one), which means that an increase looks small at first and it takes a couple of days of inflated numbers before it's really visible.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jabor posted:

The FT graph is a 7-day moving average (same as the blue line on the worldometers one), which means that an increase looks small at first and it takes a couple of days of inflated numbers before it's really visible.

Also it's a log graph so a 'spike' from 10k to 12k won't look that big anyway

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Any pointers for KN95 masks in europe ? Amazon is a deluge of bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

Any pointers for KN95 masks in europe ? Amazon is a deluge of bullshit.

Unironically check the super market. I use the picnic mobile app, but afaik they just pick stuff up from Rewe or so.

I got these there, and their fit is a bit poo poo, but you can improve that by adding a tighter cloth mask on top.