Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

"© 2023 by Fundraising."

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

the UK disproportionately loves dogs, all pets honestly, it's legitimately a part of the national character

Offer not valid in the case of landlords, ofc.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Our landlord let us have a cat at the beginning of the year which we desperately wanted, it really made me think that deep down we're all human and maybe we're all not that ba- haha just kidding, landlords are a mistake

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

We had three potential landlords in a row decide they wouldn't allow us to have guinea pigs in the property at the last minute. loving guinea pigs.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/UKLabourRadlett/status/1286164170925322242

Just imagine being the type of absolute oval office that's spent years trashing this man and glorying in his defeat.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

For all we rabbit (heh) on about being a nation of animal lovers, it was so much easier living in America. America loves to capitalism so you'll pay for it (non-refundable pet deposit per cat, then monthly extra fee of like $10 per cat on top) but having a pet was never a problem over there. Here, I spent a week in an airbnb while my cat crashed at my ex's place because I was being chucked out and couldn't find a new place in time, because cat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've always thought animals were a boomer thing personally.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

animalslaves.png

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

lol what

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

stev posted:

We had three potential landlords in a row decide they wouldn't allow us to have guinea pigs in the property at the last minute. loving guinea pigs.

I would be more angry with the landlords, not sure what the guinea pigs did wrong.

Wasn't Corbyn going to make it none of the landlord's business if tenants had pets?

OwlFancier posted:

yeah but youre weird

edit: also why do you love owls so much then? doesnt add up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh no not in an animal rights sense just in the sense that yeah, who else can afford them? They cost a fortune and most places won't let you have them anyway. My mum buy stupid artisanal meat to feed her dogs on, all she does is sit and watch the news 24 hours a day and yell at dogs and try to find new ways to fortify the house. Very much a miserable tory solipsistic thing imo.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

OwlFancier posted:

Cats are the only boomer animal because they give you the experience of being utterly loathed by a creature you're telling yourself you're nurturing when really it could manage fine without your input

With a kid you'd need to gaslight them for years to create that kind of animosity

please don't get any wrong ideas i love my cat and she's a little hugbug uwu

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like cats but I wouldn't keep one. Or dogs for that matter.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
If you think about it dogs do nothing but encourage boomers and their poisonous ideologies by loving them unconditionally and listening to their commands

Sorry, time to grab your labradors and yeet them into the ocean

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you do that they will probably enjoy it and will only swim out again, I've seen it.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

edit: also why do you love owls so much then? doesnt add up

I actually don't have particularly strong feelings about owls I just couldn't think of a username.

But if I were to have opinions about owls I would suggest that owls exist quite acceptably without human input. Owls as pets seems even worse than dogs.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 23, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I feel we are not posting enough dogs. Here's our cocker (left) and the neighbours' new springer puppy (right).

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I can't remember where I read it but I did read a quote years ago saying British people only show affection in public to animals and there's some truth to that. I love my dog, she's great.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Owls as pets seems even worse than dogs.

I'll say that buying my first pet owl Hootu went awry when Tutsi the cat came on the scene.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

I'll say that buying my first pet owl Hootu went awry when Tutsi the cat came on the scene.

Oof, dark.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Look I don't post here much any more I have to make the times I do stand out.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

feedmegin posted:

For all we rabbit (heh) on about being a nation of animal lovers, it was so much easier living in America. America loves to capitalism so you'll pay for it (non-refundable pet deposit per cat, then monthly extra fee of like $10 per cat on top) but having a pet was never a problem over there. Here, I spent a week in an airbnb while my cat crashed at my ex's place because I was being chucked out and couldn't find a new place in time, because cat.

it hasnt come up so far (2+ years) but i think if my tenants wanted a pet this seems like a decent way to go about it. not sure how much a non-refundable pet deposit would need to be to outweigh scratches to sofas and so on though

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

If we’re petposting..

Digby is confused and concerned by the combination of the 8’ wall of fudge about to be loaded into my car and the various redecorating things we’re doing to ready the house for sale. He’s been wandering around alternatively shout-panting at us and pointedly ignoring us..

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Cyril Sneeer posted:

I stand by the fact that people belive the conservative party can't be racist because they have muslim/hindu and black members.
I mean to be fair, half the problem is that too many people casually assume brown = muslim, so to them the government has done more than its fair share - there's two of them! Probably with ray guns!

The tories absolutely play on this with Sunak & Patel and boasting of a 'diverse' cabinet while still not having any muslim or black ministers on the frontline.

The problem being that they see all minorities as being essentially the same.

OwlFancier posted:

Oh no not in an animal rights sense just in the sense that yeah, who else can afford them? They cost a fortune and most places won't let you have them anyway.
I kind of had the inverse of this in that my wife and I had the chance to move out of our shared but owned house a few years ago, but were turned down by every landlord because of having guinea pigs, so we gave up and the financial circumstances passed.

But now we have a dog, there is absolutely 100% no chance we will ever get to move into rented accommodation. Having a dog is absolutely a choice based on having a secure living arrangement that will allow it, and enough financial space to be able to pay for food and either insurance or saving in case of medical needs. Like yeah a ton of people want dogs, but actually having one is very much a sign that you have resources to spare (excluding homeless dog owners which is a whole other issue).

There was an article ages ago lamenting that millennials don't buy books or albums or physical copies of anything any more. And the comeback to it was essentially 'yes, because when we get forced out of our houses every year it's easier to move a laptop and a kindle than six sets of shelves and the library of loving alexandria.'

The problem being that buying digitally or subscribing to streaming services, you're always at the mercy of those services getting into contract disputes and dropping something that you can no longer get your hands on, or disappearing entirely.

Anyway. Renting is bad, boomers don't get how bad, and a lot of millennials have never known anything else so treat it as the new normal. Maybe this thread tends to be more aware of it as the tail end of Gen X, when the social expectation was that we'd own a home but the housing market had realigned to make it extremely unlikely.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

My parents tenants have three dogs and dont pay any extra because when they lived there they always had dogs so didn't see the difference. But I think the tenants were really pleased to find anywhere at all that would have them so it is poo poo.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There was an article ages ago lamenting that millennials don't buy books or albums or physical copies of anything any more. And the comeback to it was essentially 'yes, because when we get forced out of our houses every year it's easier to move a laptop and a kindle than six sets of shelves and the library of loving alexandria.'

The problem being that buying digitally or subscribing to streaming services, you're always at the mercy of those services getting into contract disputes and dropping something that you can no longer get your hands on, or disappearing entirely.

Anyway. Renting is bad, boomers don't get how bad, and a lot of millennials have never known anything else so treat it as the new normal. Maybe this thread tends to be more aware of it as the tail end of Gen X, when the social expectation was that we'd own a home but the housing market had realigned to make it extremely unlikely.

Yeah, it's like newspapers wondering why it's all older people in garden centres or why DIY stores aren't doing great. All things that need ownership and permanence.

Friend with a cat needed to move in a hurry when her landlord decided they wanted to sell the place, and her options were pet-friendly house-shares or discussion with her new boyfriend about whether she and her cat could move in with him (since he owned). Even in London, she was struggling to find pet friendly houseshares that didn't seem a bit dubious.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

But if I were to have opinions about owls I would suggest that owls exist quite acceptably without human input. Owls as pets seems even worse than dogs.
Barn owls can benefit from human constructs, such as barns.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean to be fair, half the problem is that too many people casually assume brown = muslim, so to them the government has done more than its fair share - there's two of them! Probably with ray guns!

The tories absolutely play on this with Sunak & Patel and boasting of a 'diverse' cabinet while still not having any muslim or black ministers on the frontline.

Would The Saj have counted as Muslim? His parents were but he's an Ayn Rand lolbertarian atheist. If he does, then did Bercow count as Jewish representation in the House? :can:

Bobby Deluxe posted:

the tail end of Gen X
I prefer Oregon Trail generation, except with that Geordie racer game for BBC Micro.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really would love to get into woodwork but it's kinda hard when I have nowhere to put anything and also wood is expensive.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I really would love to get into woodwork but it's kinda hard when I have nowhere to put anything and also wood is expensive.

Makerspaces?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

This is a mood. I got into it enough to buy a bunch of tools back when I was working full time but even with a shed I don't really have space for the kind of projects I'd like to do and my house is already full of stuff I made.

I briefly had a chance to work in a proper workshop with big freestanding tools last year and it was glorious, I miss it a lot.

Woodwork is an immensely satisfying thing to do but it requires a huge amount of capital to do it even close to properly.

Comparatively few of them have good woodworking facilities, from experience, they tend to be a lot more tech focussed.

But if there's a local one it's well worth checking out, not least as a community org that could do with building for a leftist future.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would be absolutely astonished if there was one of those within fifty miles of me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

You would probably be astonished:

https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/United_Kingdom

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I kind of had the inverse of this in that my wife and I had the chance to move out of our shared but owned house a few years ago, but were turned down by every landlord because of having guinea pigs, so we gave up and the financial circumstances passed.

But now we have a dog, there is absolutely 100% no chance we will ever get to move into rented accommodation. Having a dog is absolutely a choice based on having a secure living arrangement that will allow it, and enough financial space to be able to pay for food and either insurance or saving in case of medical needs. Like yeah a ton of people want dogs, but actually having one is very much a sign that you have resources to spare (excluding homeless dog owners which is a whole other issue).

interesting post. it's definitely a thing that some BAME people are considered more white than others thanks to their background and where they went to school / banking.

when i was renting, i only got kicked out once and that was after three years when the landlady said she wanted to move in.

now as a millennial accidental landlord (and still renting!) id like nothing more than long term tenants for my place.

the other side of that though is as a tenant i could and did use the flexibility to live with different friends or girlfriends and moved for work, staying for periods of 3, 18, 36, 6, 5, 12 and 6 months, so my experience is really more forcing my way out than being forced out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There appears to be one, with a website that throws a 522 error :v:

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Youd be surprised
https://m.facebook.com/teessidehackspace/

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Do be aware though that while it's not universal a lot of maker spaces have a culture of cliquishness, drama and snobbery that makes the Eton Furry Society look tame.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

There appears to be one, with a website that throws a 522 error :v:

yeah that tracks

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Do be aware though that while it's not universal a lot of maker spaces have a culture of cliquishness, drama and snobbery that makes the Eton Furry Society look tame.

They can definitely be hard to get into.

I was so disappointed when my local one lost their building again. We had a massive laser cutter and everything.

And given how life panned out I would actually have started having time to go regularly by now :(

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Breath Ray posted:

now as a millennial accidental landlord (and still renting!) id like nothing more than long term tenants for my place.
It depends on your reasons for renting out a house of course, but the majority of landlords in the UK are investment buyers who see their tenants as little more than an interchangeable source of income, to be turfed out at the end of the year so they can take the security deposit and bump the rent up.

Dogs and cats complicate this because then the landlords actually have to do their loving jobs and deep clean the house / repair scratches to the floor instead of just saying they did and taking the security deposit.

It sounds like you and 99's parents are trying to be more reasonable, but in general when the thread talks about landlords, we're talking about investment landlords and the system of landlording that inflates house prices beyond the means of the average person and keeps them in a cycle of renting that has enabled the entire system to become entrenched.

And those fuckers absolutely hate pets.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel we are not posting enough dogs. Here's our cocker (left) and the neighbours' new springer puppy (right).

We decided lockdown was the ideal time to get a puppy since we’re both working from home and are at no urgent need to get back into the office. Here she is at 3.5 months old

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

If I had space for it in my flat I'd love to have a bunch of dressmaking stuff and a sewing machine so I could learn to sew my own clothes(I already knit, but there's only so much you can do with that) but lol, the flat is Full and we're probably going to end up with an even smaller place next time we move because it'll likely be closer to London. At least knitting doesn't take up much space!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sewing is another thing I wish I could do because it seems extremely useful. Big fat hands aren't super conducive to it though. Granny did teach me the basics of knitting once but I never kept it up.