Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bodybuilding and fitness in general attracts some screwed up people. Nothing to do but laugh in some cases.

e: Hell of a snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

all your favorite strongmen and powerlifters are nazis/beat their girlfriends/sell snake oil etc.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I follow a trainer working as nurse who thinks Covid is a hoax

Brett contreras the glute trainer who thinks sleep is bad for you

Another trainer who regularly quits social media announcing to the world it has lost their talents

The thin blond girl professing anarchism and bitcoin

People are flawed

Bret Contreras is a Lowtax-level abuser

nooneofconsequence posted:

all your favorite strongmen and powerlifters are nazis/beat their girlfriends/sell snake oil etc.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Dan John seems fairly wholesome. He gets BLM in a way most 60 year old white dudes can't. I've read a few of his books.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Greg Nuckols is another really smart strong guy who seems to be good.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
If you want science based approaches that eschew all talk of MANLINESS and GUTTINGNIT OUT JUST TRAINNN then you should follow the teachings of mike israetel and Eric helms. Mike has dumb libertarian views but his approach to bodybuilding is beyond nuanced and based in fact. Eric helms is a genuinely good guy who you can say the same for, but is a bit less prolific. He also takes a more wholistic approach to it as a lifestyle that I really like. Get the appropriate days/week split from rp and then listen to random podcasts where helms is on

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Mike Israetel is not scientific enough for my tastes, especially for how much he claims to be science-based. I've never seen him cite a specific study, I can only find one paper he authored, and his arguments seem to be rhetorical and full of unnecessary analogies. I actually bought the Scientific Principles of Weight Training and it seriously diminished my opinion of the entire RP/Juggernaut crew. Not only is it full of typos, poorly formatted and poorly bound, it doesn't include a single reference. Scientific my rear end

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Greg Nuckols, on the other hand, just ended a man's whole career:

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/barbalho/

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

feelix posted:

Mike Israetel is not scientific enough for my tastes, especially for how much he claims to be science-based. I've never seen him cite a specific study, I can only find one paper he authored, and his arguments seem to be rhetorical and full of unnecessary analogies. I actually bought the Scientific Principles of Weight Training and it seriously diminished my opinion of the entire RP/Juggernaut crew. Not only is it full of typos, poorly formatted and poorly bound, it doesn't include a single reference. Scientific my rear end

I’m looking at the most recent thing he presented and it has 47 citations lol. The rp routine is really good for bodybuilding

Greg Nuckols is also great but not who I’m going to for that type of lifting. Also nuckols and trexler regularly recommend people head to them for physique sports training

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Joe Sullivan, while crude, actually is a surprisingly not lovely person from what I can tell. He was quick to call Larry Wheels a piece of poo poo, and frequently yells at people to take care of their mental health, too. Seems like a good dude.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

I can forgive the snake oil part because these guys need money for food.

Someone tell me why Brian Shaw is an awful person.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Ego-bot posted:

Someone tell me why Brian Shaw is an awful person.

Stronger than me, deserves to die

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I’m supposed to begin contest prep next week but it seems colossally stupid to begin a 3 month cut when there is no way this country has the virus under control to the point I want to step on stage underweight and ready to die

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
martins is pure and good

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Martins didn't follow proper mask usage and social distancing so California had to close gyms again

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
That turd Noriega got his total DQ'd from his last meet for not wearing his mask right and bragging about it on social media. Good stuff.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Omar Isuf gets high off his own creatine stash.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Is Omar really anyone's favorite though

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I like him, as long as you realize that his YouTube stuff is just for shits and giggles based on a good foundation. His podcast with Helms is quite good and they have interesting people on.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What I would give to be able to afford a place with a garage right now. I want to build a home gym so badly. I’ve been working out with two 10-gallon jugs of water since March.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

dantheman650 posted:

What I would give to be able to afford a place with a garage right now. I want to build a home gym so badly. I’ve been working out with two 10-gallon jugs of water since March.

https://www.naca.com/

I don't know your financial situation/location, but this org gets you $0 money down, no mortgage insurance, no closing cost loans, and is not dependent on your credit score. I've got a coworker that got his house through them and my wife and I recently started the process.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Batterypowered7 posted:

https://www.naca.com/

I don't know your financial situation/location, but this org gets you $0 money down, no mortgage insurance, no closing cost loans, and is not dependent on your credit score. I've got a coworker that got his house through them and my wife and I recently started the process.

I live in the heart of Silicon Valley and pay almost $3k a month for a one bedroom. Any place with a garage here is going to be north of 2 mil. Thanks for the link but I think moving is my only option. Both my wife and I are hoping our respective companies will just go full time remote and we can get the hell out of here.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

If I don't get excluded from the next round of bernie bux I may have to splurge for the cheapest walmart rack I can find

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

If I don't get excluded from the next round of bernie bux I may have to splurge for the cheapest walmart rack I can find

Check FB marketplace. I've seen some used ones going for MSRP, which kind of sucks since they're used, but at least they're not price gouging.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I’m also looking at racks but there seems to be a lot of trashy stuff available, not sure what to look for

This one looks nice, squats and bench press

https://www.roguefitness.com/sml-1-rogue-70-monster-lite-squat-stand

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

I’m also looking at racks but there seems to be a lot of trashy stuff available, not sure what to look for

i have the sml-2. it’s fantastic. i attach a pulley to the crossbar as well and instantly have a cable setup.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

ham_sanitizer posted:

i have the sml-2. it’s fantastic. i attach a pulley to the crossbar as well and instantly have a cable setup.

Oh man, I'll have to bookmark these for the future. I wish the spotter arms weren't literally an additional .5 times the cost.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I've been training with the sml-2 since the start of the lockdowns and am super happy with it. The only minus point I can give is that it's super wide and I almost always clank the wights against the sides when doing a walkout for squats. Also the basic j-cups are kinda meh and I should have sprung for an additional sandwich j-cup pair.

Also since it's one of the most used frame sizes (3x3 w/11 gauge holes) there are a lot of 3rd party products that you can attach to it.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I've had mine for about 16 months, its great. Cant really find anything to complain about.

I'm working 60-72 hours a week now and barely have energy to do anything.. lost 5 pounds since getting on this schedule. RIP gainz.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Joe Sullivan, while crude, actually is a surprisingly not lovely person from what I can tell. He was quick to call Larry Wheels a piece of poo poo, and frequently yells at people to take care of their mental health, too. Seems like a good dude.

Yeah the first video I saw of him was ranting that saying the gym is your therapy is stupid because therapy should be your therapy. He also seemed like he generally wanted to learn about BLM when the protests started this year.

Dave Tate seems to have some chuddy tendencies but is also very outspoken about how to autism and has a ton of free stuff on his site. Elitefts was also the first site to get rid of all their metal gear following the owner revealing himself to be a huge poo poo head

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

I've had a TDS power rack for over 16 years now, they are generally pretty cheap and have had no issues with it.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I like RP but I don't like how reliant on RPE 1-10 their workout templates are. The only difficulty levels I can properly figure out are 1) going for a pr, might fail 2) a bit less than pr, won't fail (might if it's set 3+ or something) and 3) easy.

I want to do something that's more bodybuilding oriented to switch things up, but I hate spending my time going "was that a 7 or an 8?".

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I mean the point of RPE based training is that the difference between 7 and 8 doesn't matter because the worst it will do is take you to an RPE 10 instead of an RPE 9, at which point you'll hopefully be able to tell the difference and the program will adjust accordingly

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

ham_sanitizer posted:

Huh I hadn’t thought about this, where do you get those?

Like just attach weights to a pulley and hang it on top of the thing, yeah that’s a good idea, tricep pulldowns and so on

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

Huh I hadn’t thought about this, where do you get those?

Like just attach weights to a pulley and hang it on top of the thing, yeah that’s a good idea, tricep pulldowns and so on

https://fitarchon.com/product/single-pulley-cable-station/

i use this. works for lat pulls/face pulls as well. i got a second one and attached it to the leg of the stand. you can hook it to the first to do tricep extensions and cable curls.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

ham_sanitizer posted:

i use this. works for lat pulls/face pulls as well. i got a second one and attached it to the leg of the stand. you can hook it to the first to do tricep extensions and cable curls.

I have two of those and they work pretty well in my rack. I'll post some pics later

Edit:
My 2-pulley push-down setup for triceps or back exercises. I do have better handles for the cable setup now.

My lol-complicated system of pulleys and levers to do high rows. Keeping the bench stable requires the EZ bar with 45's on it.

I got the rack and bench for $800 from a gym going out of business back in May.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 23, 2020

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Workout log 20200723, first in 6 months:

Holy crap I’m super weak :stare:

it’s been so long since I trained “for reals”, so I figured I should start to get back in gym shape with my fancy new chin-up/pull-up apparatus

My plan was to start with like 2 weeks of light work, just 5x5, only twice a week because taking it easy, negatives with a bit of control, to remind myself I have muscles. Super light stuff. I’ve lost 15lbs over the pandemic, so even better.

Then I’d jump right back to my old timey workout, 4x8 with slow reps, to failure, get swole as gently caress.

Ohh that’s not happening for a long time. I think those 15lbs I lost must’ve been all muscle.

Today’s workout was
20 mins of walk/runs and a bit of warmup
3x12 body weight squats
4x5 pull-ups (negative only)
4x5 chin-ups (same)

And I’m beat, those home body workouts with no weights didn’t do jack poo poo.

Counting days, I realize I haven’t had a proper dip/pull-up workout for at least 8 months. Before the pandemic began I decided to give my joints a break, and switched to machines with less weight than my fat body.

Then the lockdowns, etc. No work, a lot of anxiety, then a little bodywork, some yoga at home.

So yeah, this might take longer than I expected.

I might not even be able to go back to what I could do, being older and such.

Anyway, saving up for some dumbells, and an Olympic bar, rack and weights for deadlifts and squats.

The power rack should be first I suppose, but it’s much more expensive.

Really you only need those 4 to keep the body strong, pull-ups, dip/bench, deadlifts, squats, anything else is gravy.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

ham_sanitizer posted:

These are pretty easy to make on your own too. Not being all :smug: about it, I just had cable and tow straps laying around so I bought some pulleys and connectors at Fleet Farm and made 2 of them in about 15 minutes.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I've been getting back into kettlebell swings lately, it's pretty crazy how torched you can get in 30 minutes with a 70 pounder or 88 pounder.

Do you other former fatties have people constantly commenting on your calves?

bomb fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

bomb posted:

I've been getting back into kettlebell swings lately, it's pretty crazy how torched you can get in 30 minutes with a 70 pounder or 88 pounder.

Do you other former fatties have people constantly commenting on your calves?

Looking to buy those bigger bells when places locally have stock again. I'm doing the 10k swing challenge and I'm getting smoked with much lighter bells.

Still a fatty, but never got the mythical big dude calf growth unfortunately.